decided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roux22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To me, it seems like Stanford is out based on your pro/con list unless they give you 100K plus better deal in financial aid. I would say you can't go wrong with either UCLA or UCSF. I would visit both schools and see which one you like more. Really, the big difference is the curriculum timetables. An explore year (UCLA) versus just a summer explore (UCSF). I go to UCSF so lmk if you have any questions about the school. Best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Sounds like a challenging decision with so many wonderful choices! Congrats on a great cycle. Are they really not giving out any Geffen scholarships this year??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had to spittake here.

Isn't it in Santa Clara? How much money do you actually have???

What's wrong with the Chase Center?
Yeah… but I figured I’d find a way down there.

Student loans, payment plans, and nosebleed seats. And I’ve been saving for season tix since the last Niners Super Bowl in 2020.

Not really a big basketball guy

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm very grateful to be in a position where I get to decide between these three schools, and never would have thought that I'd be faced with a decision like this.

Some background: I have a strong interest in health policy work and primary care, so during medical school I would love to get involved with a mentor(s) who has experience working at this intersection. Additionally, I also have an interest in working with both underserved and disabled populations, as much of my undergrad volunteering and graduate policy work has been with these groups.

UCLA
Pros
  • Sibling goes here, family close in the San Joaquin Valley
  • Partner grew up here, has a large support system and great social network.
  • 1 year preclinical
  • Plenty of free clinics
  • Discovery year would free up a lot of time for my interests in medical education, health policy, etc
  • Large class size - I do love chatting with folks!
  • Interviewers were so kind, and very supportive. I came away feeling like I wouldn't be a small fish in a big pond, but a part of something bigger that aligned with the school's mission.
  • Many graduates pursue primary care
  • Weather/geography - love surfing, skiing, hiking, and running. UCLA seems like it would be the best lifestyle choice.
  • P/F curriculum

Cons
  • Cost of living - comparable to SF, Stanford, but finding housing outside of student housing for my partner and I seems costly
  • No more Geffen Scholarship - financial aid seems like a big question mark at this time
  • Commuting and traffic - I truly do hate gridlock

UCSF
Pros
  • Established interest network - many of the interests I have in health policy and disability advocacy work have led me to work with students here, who all say they love it!
  • Student housing - partner and I could live in the Parnassus housing close to Golden Gate park, and is relatively affordable
  • Transit - BART seems alright, UCSF shuttle system is in place
  • Primary care focus - having a third of the class go into primary care is very telling of the culture of students here, which I LOVE.
  • Equidistant from family, so UCSF is tied with UCLA and Stanford in this regard
  • Leader in health education reform
  • Rotations at UCSF-Fresno - I love the SJV, and would be very happy getting to learn from those who treated myself and my family, and the area that I grew up in.
  • 18 month preclinical - from speaking to medical students, this seems like the sweet spot.
  • P/F curriculum
  • LOVED my interviewers here. They both were so supportive, and reached out immediately after my acceptance. I felt so welcome and wanted here.
  • Seem to be open to financial aid negotiations
  • Geography - Running, surfing, and camping all seem very possible with a car. Not as great as UCLA when it comes to weather, but the density of the city makes up for that.
  • Close to Levi's stadium, so season tickets aren't out of the question

Cons
  • Cost of living - slightly cheaper than LA, especially with couples' housing
  • No support network within SF itself - neither I or my partner know anyone living in the Bay Area

Stanford
Pros
  • Relatively flexible research curriculum (though I'm not as interested in research as I am in policy work)
  • Need-based financial aid (lower income background)
  • Small class size, so mentorship seems like it may be easier to find.
  • Student housing is very nice!
  • Stanford name may come in handy with policy work/development
  • Very close to Levi's stadium (not really a consideration, but I do enjoy my Niners)

Cons
  • Barely anyone goes into primary care, and I've heard many graduates forego residency entirely. Not sure what to think about this.
  • I really did not enjoy my interview day, but MMI isn't the best way to get a feel for campus/student culture
  • After asking to be put in touch with students who shared my interests, I was told to wait until second look. Understandable, but very different from the warm interactions I received from UCLA and UCSF.
  • Partner would have little opportunity within Palo Alto - commuting to SF would be the likely outcome
  • Sleepy suburbs - I do enjoy the idea of living in a city and getting a feel for having both nightlife and social opportunities outside of the immediate academic community
  • Faculty seem very focused on research, which is understandable
  • Less opportunity to focus/work with the underserved

Summary: Honestly, I'm torn. UCLA seems like it would be a great place to focus on myself, Stanford seems like it would facilitate a good focus on policy but not primary care, and UCSF is a mix of both with less support than I would have at UCLA, though having contacts within the medical school already might mitigate that.

Thanks in advance!
Caveat before I reply: I'm waiting on post-interview decisions from these three schools (although more than likely even if I'm accepted, I will probably attend a different school). I'm also not a Cali resident so I'm not incredibly familiar with your geographic situation in Cali.

That being said, I also have a big background in community work and health policy/legislation. I was most impressed by the resources at UCSF (Lee Institute, Kaiser Family fellowship in DC, etc), followed by Stanford, and then UCLA. I also got the same impression as you about Stanford's primary care/community opportunities and location. I agree with @MercifulCamper that Stanford is last based on your pros/cons (unless they give you a lot of financial aid), which leaves money as a deciding factor between UCSF/UCLA, with UCSF at the top if the money equals out.

Also are there any other potential contenders you're waiting on decisions for, or are you locked in between these three? Asking because support network also sounds like a big factor for you and if you're like me, you probably won't be moving cross-country because of that lol. From what I've found, any of these three schools are basically as good as it gets for policy med schools.

Last edited:
Caveat before I reply: I'm waiting on post-interview decisions from these three schools (although more than likely even if I'm accepted, I will probably attend a different school). I'm also not a Cali resident so I'm not incredibly familiar with your geographic situation in Cali.

That being said, I also have a big background in community work and health policy/legislation. I was most impressed by the resources at UCSF (Lee Institute, Kaiser Family fellowship in DC, etc), followed by Stanford, and then UCLA. I also got the same impression as you about Stanford's primary care/community opportunities and location. I agree with @MercifulCamper that Stanford is last based on your pros/cons (unless they give you a lot of financial aid), which leaves money as a deciding factor between UCSF/UCLA, with UCSF at the top if the money equals out.

Also are there any other potential contenders you're waiting on decisions for, or are you locked in between these three? Asking because support network also sounds like a big factor for you and if you're like me, you probably won't be moving cross-country because of that lol. From what I've found, any of these three schools are basically as good as it gets for policy med schools.
Much of my family is in CA. Still waiting on decisions from one of the shiny Boston schools, but I’d rather be closer to my support network in my home state. Additionally, I’m interested in staying in CA long term, so it makes much more sense to start building a life here at one of these three.

Guess we’ll see how the money shakes out. Glad to see someone else interested in this intersection, and fingers crossed it works out for you!

• Care
Wait for financial aid, but I would lean towards UCLA, especially since your sibling can let you know the in's and out's as you progress and your partner will feel right at home there. I think that will open up more time for you to pursue your specific interests.

Reactions: 3 users
How serious are you with your partner and how well do they get along with family? What are their preferences?
Serious enough that their happiness is a factor. Palo Alto is a nonstarter, but they’re open to a new start in SF or in picking up where they left off in LA. We’d make things work semi-long distance if needed.

I can't comment on UCLA outside of general LA experiences, but as a UCSF grad, here are some thoughts:
- I'd just caution that the student housing (while great) is limited - the housing by Parnassus is particularly popular for obvious reasons, so I wouldn't bank on that. It's been better in the past few years with the addition of new buildings, but usually the more available apartments are at Mission Bay/Tidelands from what I've heard.
- The primary care opportunities are definitely a big thing at UCSF, so if that's your interest it'd be a great fit.
- It's also a much more commuter-friendly city than LA, with MUNI + SF shuttles + Bart if you need to go to Oakland for any rotations. Both Inner Sunset and Mission Bay are also super walkable.
- Most students (at least when I attended) have to do a Fresno rotation, so if that's a plus for you, it's certainly doable.
- I don't imagine there's going to be much (if any) wiggle room on financial aid, but the two UCs I was accepted to had fairly similar offers, so it may be a wash between the two in that sense.

Overall, it sounds like both UCSF and UCLA would be good options for you, and it's really just going to come down to personal preference.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't comment on UCLA outside of general LA experiences, but as a UCSF grad, here are some thoughts:
- I'd just caution that the student housing (while great) is limited - the housing by Parnassus is particularly popular for obvious reasons, so I wouldn't bank on that. It's been better in the past few years with the addition of new buildings, but usually the more available apartments are at Mission Bay/Tidelands from what I've heard.
- The primary care opportunities are definitely a big thing at UCSF, so if that's your interest it'd be a great fit.
- It's also a much more commuter-friendly city than LA, with MUNI + SF shuttles + Bart if you need to go to Oakland for any rotations. Both Inner Sunset and Mission Bay are also super walkable.
- Most students (at least when I attended) have to do a Fresno rotation, so if that's a plus for you, it's certainly doable.
- I don't imagine there's going to be much (if any) wiggle room on financial aid, but the two UCs I was accepted to had fairly similar offers, so it may be a wash between the two in that sense.

Overall, it sounds like both UCSF and UCLA would be good options for you, and it's really just going to come down to personal preference.
the information on housing is helpful to know - we’d been leaning towards mission bay due to the amenities, but keeping options open seems like it’d be a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

the information on housing is helpful to know - we’d been leaning towards mission bay due to the amenities, but keeping options open seems like it’d be a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I lived at Mission Bay for a few years, and it was really nice - plus, if you like LA weather, MB is the hotter/less foggy side of town. Usually the singles in the 4 bed/2 bath apartments are most available, but I know people who got 1 and 2 beds as well. When/if you apply for housing, you're allowed to list 3 options you're interested in, so you could theoretically list both MB and Parnassus (plus a third option) to maximize your chances of getting UCSF housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.