Decided!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username0902

Reaction score
Decided thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am from California and let me tell you, SF is not as nice as you think. It is a ghost town. Hopkins seems like the obvious choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in the Bay Area so I’m biased. I’d rather live in SF.

HOWEVER, SF in 2023 is far worse than SF in 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I appreciate all of the comments left here and was likely going to choose Hopkins. However, I just received my financial aid award from UCSF and after doing some calculations, UCSF would be cheaper to attend. To me, this seems like a pretty significant number but I’m wondering if going to Hopkins is worth the extra money?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you have factored in the living costs of SF and CA in general (incredibly high) and you are still up $100K, then go with UCSF.

Currently an UG student at an institution near SF. I agree with the posters above about how SF isn't as ideal as it is portrayed, but let me tell you it's a great place to spend your time studying and spending time with friends at. There's always some sort of ethnic celebration during different times of the year (the week before my finals there was a Cherry Blossom Festival), lots of progressive surgery centers (I've shadowed at hospitals completely dedicated to gender affirming care), etc. Overall, it's the perfect mix between academics and a social life.

Given that it's cheaper and you're interested in social justice, UCSF is a great fit. Congrats on your success!

First off, congrats! What a problem to have!

Just to chime in as an SF resident. Been here for about 10+ years, and it is true that the city is not the same as it was before the pandemic. However, I was in Baltimore before the pandemic and was not impressed at all. So, comparing the two, I would choose SF any day of the week. If you avoid downtown and the Tenderloin and just stay around the area where UCSF is, it's pretty great! Anywho, good luck in making a decision.