December CPJE 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJPharmDM

Reaction score
Last Predate was dated 11/22/18. Starting a new thread for test taker in December. Hope this new tread get support from those past test taker giving study material advices for those taking exam soon. Best wishes to those taking it soon or those awaiting results.

Members don't see this ad.

I can help you Review if you want. I took it last block and pass the exam in the 90's. Studied material I used was Rxprep (cpje law portion), Pharmacy Chart, and RxPrep for additional clinical knowledge. I also read the Wiseman book once, but it was a heavy book to read and I felt the RxPrep CPJE book was sufficient enough. Knowing brand and generic really help with the exam as well cause if you don't know the drug class it is in, you will answer the question wrong.

Example: Your pharmacy is out of Detrol what can you substitute it with? They would list choices like Solifenacin, Tolterodine ER, Enablex, Oxytrol. These are all anticholinergic drugs and used for urinary incontinence, but 1 of them is a patch and the other two are ER formulation. We cannot interchange IR to ER/XL/SR, so your only choice was Solifenacin(vesicare). Even though law wise, we would think you have to call the MD to get a new drug, but they testing your clinical drug formulation knowledge instead of law knowledge.

This is just an example and not a question I had on the exam.

I would love to be in a study/review group. I will be re-taking the CPJE as soon as I get my ATT, but probably not for a few weeks more. But, I'd love to get a study group going!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to be in a study/review group. I will be re-taking the CPJE as soon as I get my ATT, but probably not for a few weeks more. But, I'd love to get a study group going!

Message me and we can exchange info. Seem like you block out conversation, so I cannot contact you privately.

Also, JJPharmDM helped answered a lot of my questions thank you.

Message me and we can exchange info. Seem like you block out conversation, so I cannot contact you privately.

Also, JJPharmDM helped answered a lot of my questions thank you.
I would also like to join a study group! I’m looking to take it in min December.
Please msg me.

Also, do you have any idea of when the next predate is going to be? I know it’s usually 5 weeks from the previous predate, but the last predate ended up being a lot later than anticipated, so I wanted to ask!

Also, do you have any idea of when the next predate is going to be? I know it’s usually 5 weeks from the previous predate, but the last predate ended up being a lot later than anticipated, so I wanted to ask!
^ bump.
I am also taking the exam in a couple weeks and am worried about getting our predate beyond 5 weeks--as if 5 weeks wasn't longer enough... However, given that the holidays are around the corner, I'm anticipating late January as our predate.
Merry Christmas to us :bang:

You're thinking the pre-date won't be until end of Jan? Wouldn't that make it close to 8 weeks since the last pre-date was 11/22? Or did you mean results wouldn't be out until late Jan?

Hello you guys! I would like to be included in the study group. I am still waiting on my letter to sit for the exam, but I plan to take it toward the end of December/early January.

can I be part of this study group as well? I'm thinking of retaking my cpje at the end of December or early January. and for this batch's predate, I'm predicting around 12/27ish

You're thinking the pre-date won't be until end of Jan? Wouldn't that make it close to 8 weeks since the last pre-date was 11/22? Or did you mean results wouldn't be out until late Jan?
That is correct - I'm thinking the predate won't be until end of January, just based on how long the predate was for the previous batch (9/28 --> 11/22). It seems like there are less people taking the exam now and I heard BOP waits to release the results until a certain number of people have taken it so it's not so much a matter of time, it's a matter of test takers.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people request to join study group, but they don't response, or provide any additional communication after I send an email. Like, " Hey currently I am touching up on x topic." It is just utter silence. I think I am just going to study with the few that are actually responsive.

A lot of people request to join study group, but they don't response, or provide any additional communication after I send an email. Like, " Hey currently I am touching up on x topic." It is just utter silence. I think I am just going to study with the few that are actually responsive.

Best to study with 2-3 people otherwise you might catch a bad fish.

Hey guys...I hate to be the stereo-type but I'm gonna be...after working 10+ hours/day at a new job I honestly barely have enough time to figure out how I'm going to study, let alone in a group. And my only free time is before 8am and after 8pm during the week, so as of right now, I'll probably be one of those non-responders!

i didnt get any msg from you tho

I'm taking my test on Dec. 11 and I am going crazy. I passed NAPLEX in triple digits, but that was back in August and I am a crammer, so I've probably forgotten a lot of it. I've taken all of the exams for RXPREP CPJE with about 87% correct, got a 78% on the board's sample CPJE, and got high 80's on all of exammaster's CPJE prep. Do you think scores like these are high enough to pass the CPJE? I'm not sure what to be studying really at this point.

Hi guys, I finish my first attempt exam this morning and here is my 2 cents. I felt it was doable and I had bout 10-15 minutes left to spare. General knowledge breakdown. I would study topic like these more closely cause I oddly had math questions, ABX, OTC(lice), glaucoma, DM, HTN combination drugs, straightforward law questions( some made me sit and think a while), osteoporosis, anti emetic for chemo agent, depression, bipolar(lithium), COPD, compounding, and steroid potency.

I pretty much listed half the Rxprep book. Time for my nap then fly out of town tomorrow morning till New Years. Good luck everyone

Hey! I just got approved to take CJPE. Currently licensed in NY and out of school for about 5 years. Any tips on how to study, what materials to purchase or even a study group would be great! I would like to be prepared by May.

Thanks!

What are everyone’s thoughts now on the next predate? I still haven’t been approved to sit for the exam but am trying to schedule my life, ha!!

Hmm, I'm surprised no one has posted about their experience after taking the exam this batch. I, for one, found it painfully difficult and am stressing over the inevitable bad news--I missed so many "easy" questions that there is zero chance I passed.

The process of getting licensed in CA has been incredibly stressful for me--it doesn't help that this is my second attempt either. I don't know what I'm going to tell my family/friends and my work (I'll probably get fired if I don't pass this time). Maybe I should move to a different state where the law exam is slightly easier or where the Board of Pharmacy doesn't take so damn long to process applications, saving me from this seemingly endless period of torture and anxiety.

/endrant and good luck to everyone else out there.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm, I'm surprised no one has posted about their experience after taking the exam this batch. I, for one, found it painfully difficult and am stressing over the inevitable bad news--I missed so many "easy" questions that there is zero chance I passed.

The process of getting licensed in CA has been incredibly stressful for me--it doesn't help that this is my second attempt either. I don't know what I'm going to tell my family/friends and my work (I'll probably get fired if I don't pass this time). Maybe I should move to a different state where the law exam is slightly easier or where the Board of Pharmacy doesn't take so damn long to process applications, saving me from this seemingly endless period of torture and anxiety.

/endrant and good luck to everyone else out there.
Hi there. How many questions do you feel you missed? I know they don’t calculate our scores on a straight scale, but I’m just wondering around how many questions we can miss and still pass...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I marked about 35 I knew for sure I got right, 50 that I wasn't 100% on, and 5 that I had no clue. After the exam when I got to my car and googled some questions I could remember that I wasn't sure about, I'd gotten 7/10 correct.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Taking my CPJE in about a week and super stressed out...finished reading Weissman and am currently reviewing using rxprep book but the anxiety is real if the study group is still going, I'd love to join in. Let's stress out together!

I can help you Review if you want. I took it last block and pass the exam in the 90's. Studied material I used was Rxprep (cpje law portion), Pharmacy Chart, and RxPrep for additional clinical knowledge. I also read the Wiseman book once, but it was a heavy book to read and I felt the RxPrep CPJE book was sufficient enough. Knowing brand and generic really help with the exam as well cause if you don't know the drug class it is in, you will answer the question wrong.

Example: Your pharmacy is out of Detrol what can you substitute it with? They would list choices like Solifenacin, Tolterodine ER, Enablex, Oxytrol. These are all anticholinergic drugs and used for urinary incontinence, but 1 of them is a patch and the other two are ER formulation. We cannot interchange IR to ER/XL/SR, so your only choice was Solifenacin(vesicare). Even though law wise, we would think you have to call the MD to get a new drug, but they testing your clinical drug formulation knowledge instead of law knowledge.

This is just an example and not a question I had on the exam.

Hi, Im taking the CPJE in two weeks. First time taking it. Can you give me some tips on it. Im studying rx prep and cpje law. Just feeling overwhelmed. Just need some guidance to make sure im studying it right to feel more ready. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Been battling the CPJE for over a year already. Graduated last year in 2017 and I pass the NAPLEX in the high 90's, but couldn't pass the CPJE. Closest I got was 73% on CPJE. I will be attempting my last exam for California this week and was wondering if anyone can give some last minute pointers, if I fail the exam I will have to retake the NAPLEX and move out of California because only California has my pass score. I missed the 90 day score transfer window because I was adamant that I was going to pass CPJE. Not only that, the retake for my 2nd CPJE exam took over 2.5 months for approval!!! California so far has been a nightmare.I lost my job line up and had to move my family to live with parental support. I took extra clinical classes(passnaplexnow), bought almost every study material that there is: PassNaplexNow, Pharmacy Chart, Weiseman, Rxprep CPJE and Rxprep, and Grisfoil. Question I get on every attempt is very random and is only mention in like 1 page on Rxprep. Example a question regarding EMLA. Any help is apricated. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

Been battling the CPJE for over a year already. Graduated last year in 2017 and I pass the NAPLEX in the high 90's, but couldn't pass the CPJE. Closest I got was 73% on CPJE. I will be attempting my last exam for California this week and was wondering if anyone can give some last minute pointers, if I fail the exam I will have to retake the NAPLEX and move out of California because only California has my pass score. I missed the 90 day score transfer window because I was adamant that I was going to pass CPJE. Not only that, the retake for my 2nd CPJE exam took over 2.5 months for approval!!! California so far has been a nightmare.I lost my job line up and had to move my family to live with parental support. I took extra clinical classes(passnaplexnow), bought almost every study material that there is: PassNaplexNow, Pharmacy Chart, Weiseman, Rxprep CPJE and Rxprep, and Grisfoil. Question I get on every attempt is very random and is only mention in like 1 page on Rxprep. Example a question regarding EMLA. Any help is apricated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I may not be as helpful as you were expecting, but I like to speak the truth and give my honest opinion. I completely understand the pressure you must be under to pass but by someone giving you advice on what their CPJE was like will not help you, if might even hurt because that would be your focus for the rest of the time you have to study and 95% of the questions you will get would be on different medications. SO here is my advice. Pick one of those study materials ( I only have experience with RxPrep and Pharm Charts, (in my opinion pharmcharts does kind of suck, except the index part, which might be helpful ). Don't focus too much on all the small details, just go over pretty much everything that you think is testable. From experience, I feel like its mostly about recognizing all the drugs and the main focus of each drug. Yeah there are few questions here and there that are little in more depth but at this point, your best bet is to focus on the general picture. Unfortunately I am afraid that luck plays a big role in CPJE, I know some smart people that got triple digits on NAPLEX but didn't pass CPJE....and surprisingly I know someone who passed CPJE 1st time and NAPLEX 3rd time (naplex score being in the low 80s lol ). So I wish you best of luck and use the time wisely. You don't have to take my advice but I really do think focusing most of your attention on what everyone else had will not help you (case in point, a lot of people post here that they are taking it for the 3rd , 4th time and it was nothing like what everyone else had)

Hi,

I may not be as helpful as you were expecting, but I like to speak the truth and give my honest opinion. I completely understand the pressure you must be under to pass but by someone giving you advice on what their CPJE was like will not help you, if might even hurt because that would be your focus for the rest of the time you have to study and 95% of the questions you will get would be on different medications. SO here is my advice. Pick one of those study materials ( I only have experience with RxPrep and Pharm Charts, (in my opinion pharmcharts does kind of suck, except the index part, which might be helpful ). Don't focus too much on all the small details, just go over pretty much everything that you think is testable. From experience, I feel like its mostly about recognizing all the drugs and the main focus of each drug. Yeah there are few questions here and there that are little in more depth but at this point, your best bet is to focus on the general picture. Unfortunately I am afraid that luck plays a big role in CPJE, I know some smart people that got triple digits on NAPLEX but didn't pass CPJE....and surprisingly I know someone who passed CPJE 1st time and NAPLEX 3rd time (naplex score being in the low 80s lol ). So I wish you best of luck and use the time wisely. You don't have to take my advice but I really do think focusing most of your attention on what everyone else had will not help you (case in point, a lot of people post here that they are taking it for the 3rd , 4th time and it was nothing like what everyone else had)

Noted. I do feel a little more confident and studied more closely to attention this time cause I had no pressure from work etc. Thanks.

U can do a score transfer at NABP. It'll cost u $450 for the first state and $x for every additional states. Don't think u need to retake the naplex

Nope. Called NABP. Only can do license transfer. Score transfer is only eligible first 90 days after you pass naplex. If you miss the timing of that window, only the state you kept your score in has your pass naplex score. So if you don’t get license in the state you pass in, you must retake the naplex to score transfer. I didn’t know bout it till my 3rd attempt I tried to score transfer to take MPJE to practice in another state. Then another issue arise where if I attempt MPJE, I will have to retake Naplex again for California where they delete my pass score. Passing CPJE is right now the only option to avoid retaking naplex, 16 unit credit class that is not even offer in state(20000$$), and so on.

Last edited:
Hi there. How many questions do you feel you missed? I know they don’t calculate our scores on a straight scale, but I’m just wondering around how many questions we can miss and still pass...

The CPJE is not based on a curve. They use a "scaled score" which is explained in detail on the board's website. Basically my understanding is that some exam versions are more difficult than others (for example, in a particular batch), so you would need less correct answers on a harder exam to obtain a scaled score of 75. If the exam is easier, you would need MORE correct answers to obtain the same scaled score of 75. Keep in mind that 15 of the questions are "pre-test questions" and do not count in your score.

Has anyone heard of good results from studying (aka memorizing to the best of my ability) the Grifoll Study notes? Some sections have very few meds, it makes me nervous to spend too much time on this if it honestly is just the top 400's. TIA for any insight!

Has anyone tried recently to schedule their CPJE? The PSI website only shows exam slots out through Jan 4...I wonder if that's the next pre-date?

Because they blocked Mar 3- 31.

It won’t be 8 weeks because they blocked January till 29th. No one will be able to take it between Jan 4 - 29. So everyone who will take after 01/29 - will get predate of Mar 02. It’s five weeks for the people who will take on 01/29. So ~35 days plus +/- 10-14 days before you get results in the mail so ~45 days for the ones at the beginning of the batch. Right on time according to the rules :)

Same with the next batch- it will start on April 1st and end probably around May 5th - exactly like last year. The difference is you can’t say for sure what date it will be because they are not blocking any dates in peak season. But if you look through the forum you will see the pattern.
Usually predate was every ~35 days - at least April-August: ~ 05/05; ~06/10; ~7/15; ~8/20. Then I believe September was still around 35 days~ 9/25 but later no predate until 11/22. They are creating those blocks in low season to probably get enough (>400?) people for each batch, without making them wait longer than 45 days for results.

Those are my personal observations :)

Because they blocked Mar 3- 31.

It won’t be 8 weeks because they blocked January till 29th. No one will be able to take it between Jan 4 - 29. So everyone who will take after 01/29 - will get predate of Mar 02. It’s five weeks for the people who will take on 01/29. So ~35 days plus +/- 10-14 days before you get results in the mail so ~45 days for the ones at the beginning of the batch. Right on time according to the rules :)

Same with the next batch- it will start on April 1st and end probably around May 5th - exactly like last year. The difference is you can’t say for sure what date it will be because they are not blocking any dates in peak season. But if you look through the forum you will see the pattern.
Usually predate was every ~35 days - at least April-August: ~ 05/05; ~06/10; ~7/15; ~8/20. Then I believe September was still around 35 days~ 9/25 but later no predate until 11/22. They are creating those blocks in low season to probably get enough (>400?) people for each batch, without making them wait longer than 45 days for results.

Those are my personal observations :)
Thank you for the breakdown! My hope of taking the exam mid-Jan is not really an option anymore, so fingers crossed I can take it on Jan 4!