Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on 11/3 and they said something like they had received 1120 applications and interviewed around 70ish I think. They also said their acceptance rate after interview was about 50% but that they were being conservative (wouldn't conservative be less??). I think those numbers are about right, someone feel free to correct me.

I'm nervous waiting!! When will I know??

That high % of acceptance seems to be about right from what I've heard from friends interviewing at DO schools. The real battle is just getting the interviews...then its the flip of a coin!

I just hope I get into 1 of 2 that I interview at! That would be a nice feeling of security to have over spring semester.

Anyone have any idea about total class size at DCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to DCOM on a Friday...Dec. 1, but I'm arriving there on Nov. 30th. Which Friday is your interview date?

Hey, what day was your letter mailed? I interviewed with you and haven't heard from them yet on a decision. I got an email from them last wed asking for my summer and fall grades so I assumed they were still reviewing our files but if you got your letter already maybe not. I'm getting really antsy for that letter.:confused:

It is dated 10/25. I called and Mr. Carney called me back, leaving a voicemail saying he couldn't tell me anything over the phone, but that they were reviewing our group and I should expect a letter that week. I was pretty sure I got waitlisted or rejected at that point, so I'm happy it was the former and not the latter. You should call them. I think they were just surprised with the volume of apps and are waitlisting more, taking more time with it, etc. Good luck!

I think they were just surprised with the volume of apps and are waitlisting more, taking more time with it, etc. Good luck!

That is exactly what happened. That is what they told me at my interview. They said they were putting most people on hold at first. Also, they can't even take the deposits until the middle of December, so maybe they are holding back because of that too. They don't want to hand out all these acceptances without the security of the deposit. I think that they will definitely take people off the waitlists. You just have to wait and see what happens I guess. Good luck everybody!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I had an interview at LMU-DCOM and I must admit that I was so impressed with just not the school and faculty, but the students I interviewed with as well. I think this school will not only bring energy to the new school atmosphere but also some sort of team work between students. The other 11 students and I hit it off as we had know each other for years, and some of us went to go party in Knoxville after!

So my question to those who have been accepted is: How long did it take for them to get back to you with an answer???

I had an interview at LMU-DCOM and I must admit that I was so impressed with just not the school and faculty, but the students I interviewed with as well. I think this school will not only bring energy to the new school atmosphere but also some sort of team work between students. The other 11 students and I hit it off as we had know each other for years, and some of us went to go party in Knoxville after!

So my question to those who have been accepted is: How long did it take for them to get back to you with an answer???

Along these lines, are the classes going to be graded P/F or on a normal scale?

I interviewed 10/6. From what they told me at my interview I should have heard around the 16th, but they were away at conference. However, when I called to check later that week they told me that my letter was signed and ready to go, but they couldn't tell me over the phone. When I finally got my letter around 10/25 it was dated 10/17. You should hear back in probably about 2 weeks from your interview. The committee meets every Thursday. Good luck!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

If the adcom meets every Thursday and then the Dean calls, does it really take like a week after your decision to get the call?

Am I to understand that DCOM's curriculum during the first 2 years is a mix of traditional coursework and a systems based approach?

I'm a big fan of systems based.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the adcom meets every Thursday and then the Dean calls, does it really take like a week after your decision to get the call?
The Dean did not call me until after I had my letter, so it was actually about
3 weeks before the call. But, I was in one of the early interview groups and they had been away at the conference, so I think that my time frame was a little bit off from what they normally do. Did you have your interview on 11/3? I think that is what I remember reading. I think that you should hear something by the middle of next week. They are supposed to meet on Thursday (yesterday) and then get the letters out by the next day. Even if they don't do the letters until Monday you should know by the middle of next week. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

I actually called the school about 2 weeks after because I had seen on SDN that some of the people that I had interviewed with had already been offered acceptances so I called to make sure that my application was complete. They checked and said it was and asked if there was anything else they could help me with and I said I had seen that some people that I interviewed with had already been offered acceptances and she put me on hold and transferred me. Then they told me that they had some good news and that they had signed my acceptance that morning and congradulations... About 15 minutes after I had hung up from that, Dr. Stowers called and told me the good news himself, I got the letter about 4 days after that... Good luck to everybody.....

Hey,

I had my interview on 10/10, and got a letter dated 10/17 on 10/28 followed by the phone call on 10/30.

I got my interview at DCOM coming up and nerves are beginning to kick in. So i have a question to those that have already been accepted, did you find that your interview went 100% smoothley or did you ever find yourself forgetting some of the things that you were planning on saying and correcting yourself a number of different times? I am asking this because this is my first interview and i am not sure what they expect to see. Are the interviewers expecting to see someone speak flawlessly or do they understand that it is a stressful situation and that mistakes may be made? DCOM is my #1 choice school so i'm trying to pull out all the stops to try to get in, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Thanks

I got my interview at DCOM coming up and nerves are beginning to kick in. So i have a question to those that have already been accepted, did you find that your interview went 100% smoothley or did you ever find yourself forgetting some of the things that you were planning on saying and correcting yourself a number of different times? I am asking this because this is my first interview and i am not sure what they expect to see. Are the interviewers expecting to see someone speak flawlessly or do they understand that it is a stressful situation and that mistakes may be made? DCOM is my #1 choice school so i'm trying to pull out all the stops to try to get in, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Thanks

I definitely forgot things and I talked WAY too fast. I wasn't nervous until I sat down for my personal interview and then I freaked out a little. I am already a rather talkative person. I also tend to talk loud, fast, and with my hands. Add nerves and too much caffeine to that and I am like some crazy person on speed! Anyway, the first question was: "Tell me about yourself." I was definitely a little cracked out on that one, but then I relaxed and the rest of the interview went more smoothly. But, I did forget several things that I meant to say. Anway, they are really nice and I am sure that they understand that you are nervous. I would make sure that you tell them that it is your top choice and that if you are accepted then you will definitely attend. I am sure it will go well. The interview wasn't like an interrogation; it was very conversational and relaxed. I was the one who caused any stress for myself. I am sure it will go well. Relax, the people are really kind and down-to-earth. It will be fine! GOOD LUCK!!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Ditto to what DrMom said. They are very nice and down to earth; just be genuine, honest, and forthcoming. Most importantly relax, and answer questions like you're just talking with a friend.

Hey, just wondering if anyone is interviewing Dec. 19th??? I chose to wait till after my exams are over to interview. This is my first interview so I am super nervous! Any advise would be great!

This is my #1 choice school so i really want to make an impression. I'm worried because while i do have a solid g.p.a, my mcat is pretty low. I am hoping to compensate for my mcat by having a great interview. Again thanks for all of the advice, hope to see you all next fall during the class induction ceremony :luck:

do anyone know if there is a Walgreens around LMU??

do anyone know if there is a Walgreens around LMU?

What kind of question is that?!?!:laugh: I checked on Walgreens site and there are stores around Knoxville, but not around Harrogate. I don't know why you wanted a Walgreens, but Middlesboro, KY is about 5 minutes from DCOM and they have everything you could possibly need. :luck:

This is my #1 choice school so i really want to make an impression. I'm worried because while i do have a solid g.p.a, my mcat is pretty low. I am hoping to compensate for my mcat by having a great interview. Again thanks for all of the advice, hope to see you all next fall during the class induction ceremony :luck:

What abouts is yer MCAT??

What abouts is yer MCAT??

Do you guys think that DeBusk is really MCAT focused on admissions this year in order to look good with their AVG. scores and what not? Just wondering what kind of impression you're getting. :oops:

Do you guys think that DeBusk is really MCAT focused on admissions this year in order to look good with their AVG. scores and what not? Just wondering what kind of impression you're getting. :oops:

I do not think thatis the case at all. I have a low mcat and was accepted. I truly think they are just looking for people that are a "good fit" for the school.

Marcia

Yeah, I don't think they are focusing so much on the MCAT bc mine was crappy too. At the interview they didnt ask me why my score was so low... they just wanted to know more about me as a person, and why medicine, and my clinical, volunteer, and research experiences. So if you have a low MCAT or GPA dont stress too much... hopefully you have some good experiences, and were not just a book NERD in college!

So has anyone who interviewed with me (I know it will be hard to remember if you interviewed with me since I was the only girl....) heard anything back?? Anyone brave enough to call the office to see the verdict? I'm too scared to call :eek:

So has anyone who interviewed with me (I know it will be hard to remember if you interviewed with me since I was the only girl....) heard anything back?? Anyone brave enough to call the office to see the verdict? I'm too scared to call :eek:

Lisa,

When did you interview? Call them if you think you should have gotten something by now. You know they are super nice and I am sure that if it has been a while, they will not mind you calling.

Marcia

I actually think I interviewed with you, I was the indian kid from california, if you remember. I haven't heard anything back either, hoping to hear by end of this week!
- Ashwin :)

I think I remember you actually....so what did you think of everything? How's it ranking on your list? Good luck!

and mdille: too scared to call and hear the we can't tell you over the phone but you will be receiving a letter speech...

I'm just nervous bc its my first interview so at this point I have 0 acceptances!!

I actually think I interviewed with you, I was the indian kid from california, if you remember. I haven't heard anything back either, hoping to hear by end of this week!
- Ashwin :)

haha yeaaa ashwin..you sitting right across me. Well iam in the same boat as you guyies..waiting for a response!

haha yeaaa ashwin..you sitting right across me. Well iam in the same boat as you guyies..waiting for a response!

How did you guys feel about the place? I feel like I havent seen Ashwin's response and I'm not sure if youve commented yet Lambo.

Where does this school rank versus the rest for you guys?

I think I remember you actually....so what did you think of everything? How's it ranking on your list? Good luck!

and mdille: too scared to call and hear the we can't tell you over the phone but you will be receiving a letter speech...

I'm just nervous bc its my first interview so at this point I have 0 acceptances!!
Lisa,
haha yeah, I actually was really impressed with the school. It was a huge change from where i'm from in ca but it'd be nice to get out of here for a change. From what I hear of other schools, dcom seems to be one of the best out there (even though its brand new) so I'd say so far its on top.
good luck! :thumbup:

lambo,
good luck to you too man!, how's new york treatin ya?

Lisa,
haha yeah, I actually was really impressed with the school. It was a huge change from where i'm from in ca but it'd be nice to get out of here for a change. From what I hear of other schools, dcom seems to be one of the best out there (even though its brand new) so I'd say so far its on top.

lambo,
good luck to you too man!, how's new york treatin ya?

NY's awesome!LOL but my life is seriously being taken away by this medical school processs, i wish i was done with college already..freaking college gives you no time to relax!!

Lisa,

Wow really? I've never been to CA, but I think if I lived there I would never want to leave it! I was impressed too, though. Everyone was so nice. Guess now we just wait and see what happens! Good luck to everyone who was there with me! :D

I just got my interview at LMU for 12/22! Woot! So stoked.

Harvey, I'll be joining you...12/22!

Very excited..I've always loved that area of the country, and have been very intrigued by DCOM ever since getting notice that they would be taking applications this year! I can't wait, and it should be a nice trip for my wife and I.

We are flying into Nashville and driving over on Thursday. Hopefully will have plenty of time to check out the surrounding area. Pretty familiar with Oak Ridge/Knoxville, but not so much Middlesboro/Harrogate.

I wonder how many people they interview during each interview day?

Very excited..I've always loved that area of the country, and have been very intrigued by DCOM ever since getting notice that they would be taking applications this year! I can't wait, and it should be a nice trip for my wife and I.

We are flying into Nashville and driving over on Thursday. Hopefully will have plenty of time to check out the surrounding area. Pretty familiar with Oak Ridge/Knoxville, but not so much Middlesboro/Harrogate.

When I was there there was 11 boys and me haha...so in general I think they like 12.

Hi LisaMD- I'm interviewing on 11/28. Wonder if their chicken nuggets can hold a candle to DHall's? I'm working in a lab in MD, too. Did they want to discuss your research??

Congraulations to you and everyone else who received an interview! I am sure you will all love it. As for how many people they interview per day, I think that it is twelve on Tuesdays and Fridays for a total of twenty-four per week. When I went for my interview, they were only doing six because it was close to the beginning of the interview process. But, I think they said they were increasing it to twelve. Good luck everyone!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I GOT ACCEPTED IN DEBUSK!!!! I just called the admissions office and was told the great news!!! Those who have been accepted keepn in touch with me for ROOMMATE/LIVING purposes cuz thats where ill be going!!!

From the time of being accepted, how long until you have to send in your deposit to hold your seat?

From the time of being accepted, how long until you have to send in your deposit to hold your seat?

If you are accepted before the beginning of December..your decision has to be made and deposit mailed by December 15. I am not sure when the due date is if you are notified after that.

Marcia

I GOT ACCEPTED IN DEBUSK!!!! I just called the admissions office and was told the great news!!! Those who have been accepted keepn in touch with me for ROOMMATE/LIVING purposes cuz thats where ill be going!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

I was hoping to get an interview set up on 12/15, but it was all full. I couldn't do the 12th because I have a final on the 13th, and travelling at the end of the week is just better for me.

I just wanted in before Jan...but I'm guessing decisions will be delayed quite a bit for those interviewing on the 22nd because of the holidays.

Is it something along the lines of having to make a desicion by Dec. 15 if accepted before Nov. something and after this you have 30 days and then after March you only have 2 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.