Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up doing Priceline for the Holiday Inn express for $51/night!!

Members don't see this ad.

So to those of you whom have had both MD and DO interviews, how did the DeBusk experience compare?

I too received the email from Jody asking to call about an interview once my secondary is complete (which I mailed today along with my recs). What was said when you all called?

Anything I should be prepared for? I think I have to fly in from NOLA, it could be an expensive visit including the car rental, night of staying there, and plane ticket! EEP! I'm really interested in see for myself all the great things people have said about DeBusk. I like the idea of going to somewhere completely new, especially if the faculty are as great as people have mentioned! :D

EDIT: To those of you who have found out quite a bit from this school how competitive do you think my application would be with the following stats:
3.1 cum GPA at Northwestern (3.0 science :/)
3.5 or so Graduate GPA in Masters of Science in Pharm at Tulane (I started this fall, this is just a guess)
MCAT:
04/2005 was 9P,9V,M,11B
08/2006 was 12P,9V,M,11B ( If I ever have to learn college physics again I may hurt myself!)

I really dont know what to expect from this school. Any input would be great!

To those of you who have found out quite a bit from this school how competitive do you think my application would be with the following stats:
3.1 cum GPA at Northwestern (3.0 science :/)
3.5 or so Graduate GPA in Masters of Science in Pharm at Tulane (I started this fall, this is just a guess)
MCAT:
04/2005 was 9P,9V,M,11B
08/2006 was 12P,9V,M,11B

u are kidding, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
The sad truth is last year I applied to both MDs and DOs (albeit slightly late) and had absolutely no luck with the 3.1 and the 29.

You never know unless you apply. There are many more factors weighed into the equation beyond just GPA and MCAT. How are your ECs? There are people with really high GPAs and MCAT scores that will not get accepted due to their lack in ECs or a bad interview. I don't think you can do MD with your numbers, but honestly I don't know. You have a much better shot at DO because they look at everything, but that is dependent on your EC. That is a a major part of the equation. At my DCOM interview, we talked about my EC a lot. They were definitely interested in more than just the numbers. Remember, osteopathic medicine looks at the whole person. Anyway, DCOM is a great school. It is my top choice and was even before my interview because I want to go into rural family medicine and I have a connection to the Appalachian area so I would love to practice down there. Truthfully, I don't think there is much point in comparing yourself to anyone. Everyone's application is different and they are all coming from different backgrounds. The schools will accept whoever they feel is the best fit. Good luck with everything!:luck:

here's a list.

3rd year: Methodist medical center, Parkwest Medical Center, Fort Sanders regional Medical Center, Peninsula Hospital-Psychiatric Hospital, St. Mary's Medical Center, Univ. of TN Medical Center, East TN Children's Hospital, Morristown-Hamblen Celeveland Community Hospital (pending), Getway Health system (pending), Baptist Regional Medical Center (pending)

4th year: Appalachian Regional Healthcare, Athens Regional Medical Center, Claiborne County Hospital, Ft. Loudon Medical Center, Fort Sanders Sevier Medical Center, Hancock County Hospital, Henry Co. Hospital, Jamestown Regional Medical Center, Pineville Community Hospital, St. Mary's Medical Center of Campbell Co., St. Mary's Medical Jefferson Memorial hospital, St. Mary's North, Grandview Medical Center (pending), Scott Co. Hospital (pending), Takoma Adventist Hospital (pending)

For those of you who have interviewed, what was said about the curriculum of 1/2yrs vs 3/4th ... have they worked on setting anything up such as housing (since nothing is within commuting distance which usually is about 30-45 mins by most schools?), a base hospital, mandatory rotation sites, etc. Just curious. Thanks!

The curriculum is set up and discussed quite a bit. They have rotation sites all set. I do not think there are certain sites that are mandatory, but of course you have selectives in 3rd year and electives in 4th year. They give you all of this info at the interview.

There is med student housing being completed now. They are 1-2 BR apartments that will be around 400-500 a month ( I believe that is what they said). LMU also has dorms that will be available to med students. I do not see any reason that someone would have to commute 30-45 minutes to go to this school. The apartments are within biking distance and the new dorms are going to be at the school.

Marcia

LMU also has dorms that will be available to med students. I do not see any reason that someone would have to commute 30-45 minutes to go to this school.
I was referring to rotation commuting as not all the hospitals appeared to be within immediate distance to the school. I do not know the area so I might be wrong.

I'm more interested in the 3rd/4th year curriculum which is why I asked the question that someone could explain what they are telling you, such has what hospitals you have base rotations for core rotations, etc. And how many of those hospitals can you do your 3rd year electives, how far away etc?

I am not applying this year but I'm interested in this school so that is why I'm asking these questions, as well as it affects certain events happening in my life.

I was referring to rotation commuting as not all the hospitals appeared to be within immediate distance to the school. I do not know the area so I might be wrong.

I'm more interested in the 3rd/4th year curriculum which is why I asked the question that someone could explain what they are telling you, such has what hospitals you have base rotations for core rotations, etc. And how many of those hospitals can you do your 3rd year electives, how far away etc?

I am not applying this year but I'm interested in this school so that is why I'm asking these questions, as well as it affects certain events happening in my life.

I don't think any of the hospitals are within immedicate distance to the school. But, I think that they are all within an hour commute. I am not sure about the base and core rotations. They listed all the hospitals on the info they gave me at the interview and I think they were all in Kentucky and Tennessee. I don't think there were any in Virginia. Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City, and Knoxville are all about an hour from DCOM. That is where the larger hospitals are. Then there are a bunch of smaller hospitals scattered throughout the area. It is very rural. Sorry I can't be of more help. You could call the school and ask them. They are very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to post any more info if I get it. :D

The hospitals listed in post for 3rd year are in Knoxville or Knoxville vicinity. Knoxville is over 1 hour south of Harrogate. It might be helpful to ask if school has any plans for running shuttle to/from Knoxville to the various medical centers.

Thanks for the info guys. I will contact the school for more information in the future but if anyone else gets information and wants to share, that be great.

I know some schools "provide" housing via "foster families" or have a house rented, etc. This is the only thing that concerns me with this school at the moment. Going to school somewhere for 2 yrs then having to move my family when I have rotations. :)

Thanks for the info guys. I will contact the school for more information in the future but if anyone else gets information and wants to share, that be great.

I know some schools "provide" housing via "foster families" or have a house rented, etc. This is the only thing that concerns me with this school at the moment. Going to school somewhere for 2 yrs then having to move my family when I have rotations. :)

I have a family too (a husband, four kids, two cats, and a really big dog), but I think the hospitals were all within an hour so I figured that I would commute. I still have to check it out a little bit more to see if that is practical.

I specifically asked them about the distance at my interview. They said it was set up so that if you want, you do not have to travel more than 60 miles to your clinical site. If you want to go further you can but they made it so that all of their students can be accomidated within the 60 mile radius. Also, they said that you would be at each site for about 6 months and then move to a new site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted to this school yet?

congratulations!! I have an interview in November...looking forward to it!

Hey for those who interviewed...I know the day's over at 1:30, but how quickly can you make it back to the Knoxville airport--is there traffic on the road or at the airport, etc., that I shouldn't be planning on a 4:40 flight? I'm thinking that'd be pushing it, what do you think?

I was accepted as well.

Marcia

Thanks everyone!!! To everyone who didn't interview yet, good luck and you'll love it!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm getting antsy to hear something and it's only been a week! Did you call mdille2 or did they call you?

They were behind because everyone was away at a conference. They sent some letters out earlier this week. I would give them until Monday and then call and check if you haven't heard anything. I know the waiting is agony, but remember it has only been a week!:luck:

Hey for those who interviewed...I know the day's over at 1:30, but how quickly can you make it back to the Knoxville airport--is there traffic on the road or at the airport, etc., that I shouldn't be planning on a 4:40 flight? I'm thinking that'd be pushing it, what do you think?

Our day wasn't really over until about 2:00. I think that it is at least an hour drive to Knoxville, if not longer. I'm not sure because I drove down from NY. I would try to get a later flight if possible.:luck:

What is a major city near harrogate where you can land and how long will it take from there to get to school?

Thanks,

What is a major city near harrogate where you can land and how long will it take from there to get to school?

Thanks,

Knoxville is 40 miles south of Harrogate. I drove from Chicago, so I am not sure how long it takes from the airport, I have heard about 1 hour. I know it is really expensive to fly into Knoxville for some reason. Someone earlier said they were flying into Nashville then driving to Harrogate. That drive is a bit longer.
Good Luck!!!

Marcia

Knoxville is 40 miles south of Harrogate. I drove from Chicago, so I am not sure how long it takes from the airport, I have heard about 1 hour. I know it is really expensive to fly into Knoxville for some reason. Someone earlier said they were flying into Nashville then driving to Harrogate. That drive is a bit longer.
Good Luck!!!

Marcia

THE DRIVE FROM NASHVILLE SEEMS TO BE 4+ HOURS! (via mapquest)

CRAP! How the heck am I going to get there if they drop me an interview!?!!

My flight is at 5:10pm after my interview out of knoxville. I hope that is not to late! :eek:

Anyone else gonna be there Dec 5 for interview? I know, it's still far away, and most of you getting interviews probably schedueled them for sometime in november.

THE DRIVE FROM NASHVILLE SEEMS TO BE 4+ HOURS! (via mapquest)

CRAP! How the heck am I going to get there if they drop me an interview!?!!

i will be flying from ny to knoxville on nov 2nd, it's a 2 hour drive from knoxville to harrogate. Peace

Where Dr Leo Goes, a fully comprehensive anatomy dissection does not. I would not think as highly of students from a medical school who did not have full dissections for surgery or OMM sports med.

I am a first year at VCOM.

A friend of mine was accepted to DCOM and WVSOM, waitlisted at VCOM.
Remember that medical education opens doors, how many will depend heavily on you, and to a lesser degree what school you went to.

i will be flying from ny to knoxville on nov 2nd, it's a 2 hour drive from knoxville to harrogate. Peace

What. I thought that Harrogate was only like 45 miles from knoxville, yet it takes 2 hours to drive to either one from either one?? :eek: Is this really true, cause this could screw up my whole flight schedule.

Thanks,

I flew into Nashville and it was close to a 5 hour drive to the school because it was raining and foggy. It was considerably cheaper than going to knoxville though.

What. I thought that Harrogate was only like 45 miles from knoxville, yet it takes 2 hours to drive to either one from either one?? :eek: Is this really true, cause this could screw up my whole flight schedule.

I had read that 45 miles somewhere too, but (thanks to DoctorMom), I looked it up on Mapquest before booking my flight. Mapquest says the airport is technically in Alcoa, TN ,which is 11.5 miles from Knoxville. Here's their report:

McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS): 865-342-3000
2055 Alcoa Hwy, Alcoa, TN 37701, US
to
Lincoln Memorial University: 423-869-3611
6965 Cumberland Gap Pkwy, Harrogate, TN 37752, US

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 52 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 83.94 miles

1: Start out going EAST. 0.1 miles Map
2: Merge onto US-129 N / TN-115 N toward KNOXVILLE / OAK RIDGE. 11.8 miles Map
3: Merge onto I-40 E toward ASHVILLE / I-75 / LEXINTON. 0.7 miles Map
4: Merge onto I-275 N via EXIT 387A toward LEXINGTON. 3.8 miles Map
5: I-275 N becomes I-75 N. 26.4 miles Map
6: Merge onto TN-63 E via EXIT 134 toward JACKSBORO / LAFOLLETTE / COVE LAKE STATE PARK / CUMBERLAND GAP PARK. 38.2 miles Map
7: Turn LEFT onto CUMBERLAND GAP PKWY / US-25E N / TN-32 N. Continue to follow US-25E N. 2.1 miles Map
8: Make a U-TURN onto US-25E S. 0.5 miles Map
9: End at Lincoln Memorial University:
6965 Cumberland Gap Pkwy, Harrogate, TN 37752, US Map

I had read that 45 miles somewhere too, but (thanks to DoctorMom), I looked it up on Mapquest before booking my flight. Mapquest says the airport is technically in Alcoa, TN ,which is 11.5 miles from Knoxville. Here's their report:

McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS): 865-342-3000
2055 Alcoa Hwy, Alcoa, TN 37701, US
to
Lincoln Memorial University: 423-869-3611
6965 Cumberland Gap Pkwy, Harrogate, TN 37752, US

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 52 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 83.94 miles

1: Start out going EAST. 0.1 miles Map
2: Merge onto US-129 N / TN-115 N toward KNOXVILLE / OAK RIDGE. 11.8 miles Map
3: Merge onto I-40 E toward ASHVILLE / I-75 / LEXINTON. 0.7 miles Map
4: Merge onto I-275 N via EXIT 387A toward LEXINGTON. 3.8 miles Map
5: I-275 N becomes I-75 N. 26.4 miles Map
6: Merge onto TN-63 E via EXIT 134 toward JACKSBORO / LAFOLLETTE / COVE LAKE STATE PARK / CUMBERLAND GAP PARK. 38.2 miles Map
7: Turn LEFT onto CUMBERLAND GAP PKWY / US-25E N / TN-32 N. Continue to follow US-25E N. 2.1 miles Map
8: Make a U-TURN onto US-25E S. 0.5 miles Map
9: End at Lincoln Memorial University:
6965 Cumberland Gap Pkwy, Harrogate, TN 37752, US Map

I don't know if it will really take you THAT long. It is only 83 miles, but I think the reason it says it takes so long is because you end up on country roads. Harrogate is really rural. When I was there they said something about widening the road in the next few years because the area was going to be designated as some national scenic area or something. (It is really beautiful!). The director of Admissions, Paul Carney, lives in Knoxville and commutes everyday. I think he said it only took him about an hour. I can't remember exactly how long, but I know it definitely wasn't almost two hours. Trust me, the school is totally worth the drive! I wish everyone the best of luck on their interviews and hope that you all give DCOM a chance. THEY ARE AWESOME!!! (I think I should get a discount on tuition for all the advertising I am doing for them! :laugh: ) :luck:

Where Dr Leo Goes, a fully comprehensive anatomy dissection does not. I would not think as highly of students from a medical school who did not have full dissections for surgery or OMM sports med.

I am a first year at VCOM.

A friend of mine was accepted to DCOM and WVSOM, waitlisted at VCOM.
Remember that medical education opens doors, how many will depend heavily on you, and to a lesser degree what school you went to.

What are you talking about? And what does you friends acceptances have to do with it?
Sorry I am just a bit confused by your post.

Marcia

What are you talking about? And what does you friends acceptances have to do with it?
Sorry I am just a bit confused by your post.

Marcia

Me too! I'm glad I wasn't the only one!:D

Are you going to your NY interview?

I am going to PM you..I have a couple of questions.

Marcia

NYCOM interview....:scared: Maybe or not, can't decide...I took the 11/30 not the 11/15 spot so I can think about it. I am leaning towards no. Long Island and NYC are not really my thing. Still, it was nice to get the invitation. Makes me feel wanted! I'll have to let DCOM and NYCOM fight it out for me.:laugh: I think NYCOM is actually more money too.

How much is the deposit that is due (I assume by December, right) if you get accepted and want to reserve a seat?

How much is the deposit that is due (I assume by December, right) if you get accepted and want to reserve a seat?

I too am curious about this...with some of these schools requiring an answer so early if given acceptance, how much is the deposit and when is that beast due?

$2000 and you have to mail it on December 12. It has to be there by the 14, but you can't send it before then.:luck:

:) I just found out today that I got accepted to DCOM. I am so fricking happy I dont know what to do with myself. Ive been trying to get in for three years now and I didnt think I'd ever get in because of my so so MCAT score. I was told not to send in the deposit money until December 14th because they were waiting for the Southern Association of Colleges accredidation to be granted sometime that month. Congrats to everyone whos gotten an acceptance and good luck to everyone. Miracles do happen lol.... :D

:) I just found out today that I got accepted to DCOM. I am so fricking happy I dont know what to do with myself. Ive been trying to get in for three years now and I didnt think I'd ever get in because of my so so MCAT score. I was told not to send in the deposit money until December 14th because they were waiting for the Southern Association of Colleges accreditation to be granted sometime that month. Congrats to everyone whos gotten an acceptance and good luck to everyone. Miracles do happen lol.... :D

:) I just found out today that I got accepted to DCOM. I am so fricking happy I dont know what to do with myself. Ive been trying to get in for three years now and I didnt think I'd ever get in because of my so so MCAT score. I was told not to send in the deposit money until December 14th because they were waiting for the Southern Association of Colleges accreditation to be granted sometime that month. Congrats to everyone whos gotten an acceptance and good luck to everyone. Miracles do happen lol.... :D

How "so so" was your MCAT...if you don't mind me asking :D

It was a 23 O but my gpa was 3.6 for undergrad and 3.8 for grad school plus I was in the military and have worked on an ambulance for the last 3 years.

It was a 23 O but my gpa was 3.6 for undergrad and 3.8 for grad school plus I was in the military and have worked on an ambulance for the last 3 years.

So it seems that many of DCOMs students will be non-trads? Quote a few of the posts I've seen of acceptances seem to be people who have real life experience...

You were so excited you had to post it twice...:laugh: (just kidding) CONGRATULATIONS!!! They actually told me to mail the deposit on the 12 so it would be there on the 14.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.