Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems that many of DCOMs students will be non-trads? Quote a few of the posts I've seen of acceptances seem to be people who have real life experience...

It does seem that way. I noticed the same thing. I am definitely non-traditional.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview this Friday, the 3rd of Nov. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express, getting in Thursday evening from NJ. Anybody in the same boat?

my interview is scheduled on nov 3rd as well. I am flying from ny but i will be staying at midwestern inn, which is prolly a couple of miles away from holiday inn. I guess we could both meet up on nov 2nd? I will be arriving at knoxville airport around 5 pm and then i got the 2 hour drive to my hotel. I suppose you r going through the same route? See you there buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Okay, so this comment is essentially a waste of space...but I noticed that we are on page four of this thread. :laugh: I am so excited about all the interest in DCOM. Good luck to everyone on their interviews there! You will love it!:luck: :luck: :luck:

It must be all of the hot mommas that are going there..LOL

Marcia

uh oh! Just got out of class today and checked my voicemail. Got a call from Jody about an interview! I'm excited!

Those of you that have gone through this, do they kind of give you a list of dates to select or do they assign you a date?

I have an EXTREMELY busy November and would rather hold off until December if I can.

May I know as when was ur application complete at DeBUSK ???
Thanks.

Thanks.

It was completed last week maybe, but when they got my aacoma app they emailed me they were interested in an interview.

They gave me a list of dates to choose from...tuesdays and fridays I think.

Thanks.

my application isn't complete and they called to schedule an interview today (i love schools that do that). i sent in my secondary exactly one week ago. just goes to show--it pays to send in your secondaries asap :) right now they're scheduling middle of november through december. jody was wonderful and very informative--they're clearly doing a great job over there--i can't wait to interview! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So question to those of you who interviewed: Is it a one on one or a couple/few on one?

So question to those of you who interviewed: Is it a one on one or a couple/few on one?

Two interviewers to one interviewee (you). That is how it has been done with all I have heard of, and that is how it was for me. Do you have an interview there? Good Luck! It is a fantastic school!!!!

Marcia

i just got a phone call from the Dean of Debusk telling me that i am accepted to their school. I have received several other acceptance from other schools, and i've been thinking about where to go. Honestly, Debusk is a new school and it is located in a real rural area, but i love the faculty in there. They are by far the nicest and most compassionate faculty i have ever seen. I highly recommended anyone to go to this school if you are truly wanted to become a primary care physician and helping people in the medically underserved rural area.

i just got a phone call from the Dean of Debusk telling me that i am accepted to their school. I have received several other acceptance from other schools, and i've been thinking about where to go. Honestly, Debusk is a new school and it is located in a real rural area, but i love the faculty in there. They are by far the nicest and most compassionate faculty i have ever seen. I highly recommended anyone to go to this school if you are truly wanted to become a primary care physician and helping people in the medically underserved rural area.

congrats for your acceptance. But i like to differ in terms of your opinion on them trying to make you into a Primary care physician..if you realize that is every DO school's motive! However, i interviewed there on nov 3rd and dr.leo has made it clear to me that the opportunities are endless..althought primary care is going to be the emphasis like any other school, one has to realize that your board scores will ultimately determine your destination!

Hi...is anyone going to DeBusk for an interview in late November-early December? I'd like to make driving arrangements if you are...

thanks!

Hey all,

What's goin' on?

As you can probably tell, my name is Shawn and I am from New Orleans, LA. I have been accepted to LMU-DCOM. I am very high on this university. Being a veteran of the application process, I feel that this school is doing everything the right way the first time around. Granted, I know there will be growing problems, but the meticulous and personable nature of the faculty makes me feel LMU-DCOM is on the verge of greatness. I look forward to this unique oppurtunity. Anyone have any questions or just wanna bull****, hit me up. :)

Hey all,

What's goin' on?

As you can probably tell, my name is Shawn and I am from New Orleans, LA. I have been accepted to LMU-DCOM. I am very high on this university. Being a veteran of the application process, I feel that this school is doing everything the right way the first time around. Granted, I know there will be growing problems, but the meticulous and personable nature of the faculty makes me feel LMU-DCOM is on the verge of greatness. I look forward to this unique oppurtunity. Anyone have any questions or just wanna bull****, hit me up. :)

What you doin in NOLA? I'm doing a masters at Tulane right now.

hey anyone that got either an interview or acceptance..congrats..i was wondering if you can pm me your stats..i put my application in 4 weeks ago..and haven't heard a thing..
thanks and congrats..

Hey, I am originally from NOLA, and I just finished the pharmacology master's at Tulane; is that the program you're in? Take it easy.

Schedule for december 5, I'll be there! Would be cool to meet you fellow SDN'ers!

Me too pal. Well not officially. I got an invite today and Jody offered me a bunch of days and I'm choosing Dec 5 because its a good week before my first final.

Congrats

Hey, I am originally from NOLA, and I just finished the pharmacology master's at Tulane; is that the program you're in? Take it easy.

haha you got it! So far its been fun....a great change of pace from undergrad

hey i spoke to Jody today and he said my application will be review 2morro noon to see if i'll be grant an interview or not..when do you guys think i'll get the email of the decision? 2morro or friday? i hope it's 2morro..this is killing me.. crossing my fingers.!!!

You can call on Thursday afternoon and find out, thats what I did. Good luck
By the way, is anyone going to be there on Dec 8th?

I got my interview set there for early december. Reading all of these posts has really gotten me excited about the prospects of maybe attending there. This is my first interview so nerves are really starting to kick in. I would definately appreciate any input from any of you that have already interviewed at DCOM.

Appreciate all of your help and good luck to all of you.:luck:

Hey...when in early December is your interview?

Hey all-
I am interviewing at DCOM on December the 5th is anyone else interviewing on that day? Please let me know
Thanks!

DAMNIT! Everyone is going the 5th! No love for DeBusk on Friday?! I'm interviewing at KCUMB on the 5th. :cool:

I'm definitely more excited to see DeBusk though...that much is certain. The buzz on this forum is intense!

Yea, DeBusk is a very cool place; lots of enthusiasm and cohesion vibing from the people there. Anyone have questions about the campus or the school in general, I'd be glad to help out.

As always, take it easy:)

Anyone interviewing on the 17th of November??

Yea, DeBusk is a very cool place; lots of enthusiasm and cohesion vibing from the people there. Anyone have questions about the campus or the school in general, I'd be glad to help out.

As always, take it easy:)

Here's one. What would young people like us do there for fun?

Are there IM sports? Like flag football/basketball/etc?

I don't want to cause a flame war, so please don't take this the wrong way.

But don't you guys worry that there will be trouble being the first class? It's an awful lot of money to spend on a "good chance" that things will go smoothly....

Just a thought...comments are welcome.

I don't want to cause a flame war, so please don't take this the wrong way.

But don't you guys worry that there will be trouble being the first class? It's an awful lot of money to spend on a "good chance" that things will go smoothly....

Just a thought...comments are welcome.

Yeah its a risk, but its not like this school is in the Caribbean. Its an American school with faculty from a variety of other successful DO schools. I almost think the opportunity is greater because the first class gets to set the precedent for what to expect in the future. In that way we would get to make DeBusk what we want it to be. If we kick ass in the boards then who knows, DeBusk could make a name for itself rather quickly.

But then again, I've always been one for clean slates! :D

i am going december 8, i might have to reschedule though do to a probable work conflict. As many of you, i am very excited about this school. Hopefuly i will kick butt during my interview and will get an invite.:luck:

i am going december 8, i might have to reschedule though do to a probable work conflict. As many of you, i am very excited about this school. Hopefuly i will kick butt during my interview and will get an invite.:luck:

Yeah I hope I get the invite as well. :luck:

I think there are intramural sports. Also, there is a fair sized town, Middlesboro, about five minutes away across the KY border; which is good when you need a certain fast food fix, etc. Something nuts I saw when I was down there is that the movie theatre was like a couple bucks to see a current movie. They have an entire athletic program too with a nice basketball arena (www.lmunet.edu/athletics) and a natatorium for any of you swimmers:) Also, on the part about LMU being a new school, I agree with the chance to make it what we want it to be. It's also good I think because the faculty will be working with us, wanting to make us great, because we are paving the way. True, there will be obstacles, but due to the long-standing tradition, future programs it plans to embark on (law school being one), and the money that Mr. DeBusk as well as others have been willing to put on, I feel the school has potential to grow a great deal. Also the widespread experience of the faculty as well as the curriculum and building design being taken from multiple medical schools is going to be a huge plus. I agree, it can be a huge risk, and even include big growing pains, but its an experience like no other.

i think that the reason that everyone is going tuesday is because, i think that the admissions committe meets on thursday so its a possibility that you might get an offer of invitation by fri? That's why i'm doing it and becasue i get to miss class on mon and tues :)

Also, on the part about LMU being a new school, I agree with the chance to make it what we want it to be. It's also good I think because the faculty will be working with us, wanting to make us great, because we are paving the way. True, there will be obstacles, but due to the long-standing tradition, future programs it plans to embark on (law school being one), and the money that Mr. DeBusk as well as others have been willing to put on, I feel the school has potential to grow a great deal. Also the widespread experience of the faculty as well as the curriculum and building design being taken from multiple medical schools is going to be a huge plus. I agree, it can be a huge risk, and even include big growing pains, but its an experience like no other.

I totally agree. I think that anyone with an interest in the program should apply. If you are chosen for an interview you will see how wonderful the school is. I had some concerns about the program being new at first, but upon completion of my interview they were gone. The people were so nice and organized. One of the things that they kept reiterating was that even though the school is new, the faculty is not. I am confident that they have planned everything well and that it will be a wonderful school. It is a once in a lifetime experience to be able to be a part of something like this; the first class paving the way for future generations to come, laying the foundations of traditions and helping the school evolve into the success that it will become. I am not afraid about the school being new. On the contrary, I am honored to be a part of something so incredible. I would highly recommend that everyone apply to check it out for themselves.:luck: :luck: :luck:

Does anyone know anything about the people that interviewed and didn't get an acceptance letter/phone call? Are they on hold or have they straight up rejected people?

Does anyone know anything about the people that interviewed and didn't get an acceptance letter/phone call? Are they on hold or have they straight up rejected people?

I got a letter stating that I was waitlisted last Friday...had to contact them to confirm I wanted to be on the alternate list. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Good luck! :)

interviewed 9/30, accepted within two weeks. If you have questions, I called Dr. Stowers today...he is very friendly and helpful. The school will be pristine (pete debusk is putting a TON of money into this thing, and LMU is very much behind the project) and is located where TN, KY, and VA all come to a point. There is actually a place where you can stand in all three states at once. There are smaller towns scattered around with respective hospitals, with Knoxville 47miles away with some top notch hospitals. I have a feeling that the inaugural class will enjoy some phenomenal attention (seeing that they are the first) as well as some hang ups. Though the school is new, the staff is recruited from respected programs and come with reputations. Dr. Stowers is on the President's Council for Medicare and was the dean at OK. Dr. Lenz was the dean at Western U of Pac and is respected in many areas. Dr. Leo and Dr. Kiick have both been sited in this blog as great instructors. The faculty seems to want to connect with the community seeing that most have lived at LMU for over a year now. One member is actually helping with the softball team there as well. LMU is accredited for teaching Sports Medicine, so if that is an interest, there may be an outlet for you. I have visited campus mulitple times for different things and it looks as though there is no trouble finding social outlets as well as recreational activities. Shoot, there is a frisbee golf course on campus! LMU also has a nursing and nurse practioner program, so there is a boost for resources from those established programs.

I have been accepted at WVSOM as well, but definitely lean towards DCOM. When you visit, you just feel comfortable. well, at least i did.

To make a long story short, visit, call, whatever. They know they are new and are willing to answer any insecurities you may have (like they did with me today).

good luck to all, sorry for the long-winded post.

I got a letter stating that I was waitlisted last Friday...had to contact them to confirm I wanted to be on the alternate list. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Good luck! :)

Hey, what day was your letter mailed? I interviewed with you and haven't heard from them yet on a decision. I got an email from them last wed asking for my summer and fall grades so I assumed they were still reviewing our files but if you got your letter already maybe not. I'm getting really antsy for that letter.:confused:

I wonder How many people have interviewed already and how many acceptances have been offered?

I wonder How many people have interviewed already and how many acceptances have been offered?

I interviewed on 11/3 and they said something like they had received 1120 applications and interviewed around 70ish I think. They also said their acceptance rate after interview was about 50% but that they were being conservative (wouldn't conservative be less??). I think those numbers are about right, someone feel free to correct me.

I'm nervous waiting!! When will I know??

Status
Not open for further replies.