Debating on going to KCU-COM interview. Any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: 3.8x cGPA/sGPA & 25 MCAT

I have an interview coming up at KCU-COM and am debating whether or not I should go. I absolutely love the school and would definitely attend if accepted (one of my top choices). The only thing holding me back from going is that I've have heard many things about the selection process at Missouri DO schools (not sure if it is about KCU or KCOM). On multiple occasions I've come across posts that said that one of those schools will invite you for an interview, but ultimately reject you because you have a low MCAT (because that's just how the dean is). I have already spend SO much money on the 5 interviews that I attended so far, I'm literally broke. So, I don't want to go to this interview only to be rejected, regardless of my interviewing skills. What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?
Note: The post I saw was from someone on the admissions committee at that school (whichever school that may be).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I absolutely love the school and would definitely attend if accepted (one of my top choices)

That's your answer right there I think. If this is your top choice I believe you owe it to yourself to roll the dice and go to the interview. You've earned the right to. I know money is an issue but you shouldn't let the extra $500-800 keep you from being happy the next four years at your dream school. If it was me I would go.

You already have acceptances to other schools. You should only go to an interview if that school is higher on your list than ones you are already accepted to. Seems like KCU is the highest for you so definitely go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have an interview coming up at KCU-COM and am debating whether or not I should go. I absolutely love the school and would definitely attend if accepted (one of my top choices). The only thing holding me back from going is that I've have heard many things about the selection process at Missouri DO schools (not sure if it is about KCU or KCOM). On multiple occasions I've come across posts that said that one of those schools will invite you for an interview, but ultimately reject you because you have a low MCAT (because that's just how the dean is). I have already spend SO much money on the 5 interviews that I attended so far, I'm literally broke. So, I don't want to go to this interview only to be rejected, regardless of my interviewing skills. What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?
Note: The post I saw was from someone on the admissions committee at that school (whichever school that may be).

As someone who has spent some time being truly broke, I understand that someone telling you to just pony up several hundreds of dollars is not really helpful. Unfortunately, no one here is going to be able to make the decision for you, besides donating you some money to attend the interview. If you have a resource that you can get a loan from, then I would examine carefully if the cost:benefit ratio is worth it. The cost depends on from whom and how much you borrow but benefits include the intangibles such as long term happiness and career outcomes, as well as the usual markers one uses to compare schools.

Life altering decisions are frequently made based on finances, whether they are the limiting factor or otherwise. It is normal and rational. Though the interview is not a guaranteed admittance, it does present you with favorable odds.

Last edited:
It's a good school and if you have faith in yourself, go to the interview. Interviewers do go out on a limb for applicants they like.

Teaching moment: I f you have poor interview skills, or were, say, outright scary, it's a lot easier for the Admissions dean to simply say "there was some concern about your MCAT score".

Reactions: 3 users
It's a good school and if you have faith in yourself, go to the interview. Interviewers do go out on a limb for applicants they like.

Teaching moment: I f you have poor interview skills, or were, say, outright scary, it's a lot easier for the Admissions dean to simply say "there was some concern about your MCAT score".
That is definitely reassuring. I appreciate the input

Purely out of curiosity how do you rank these? What school are you going to as of today?
If I get into MUCOM, that would be my first choice (from the ones I listed above)
2. ACOM/CUSOM (fine line between the two, will need to do more research to make decision)
3. BCOM (already turned down acceptance)

if your finances are going to seriously affect your life between now and when you enter medical school, then i would not go.

If it's between eating/paying rent and going-- skip it and take an acceptance you have.
If money will be tight but you can swing it without much hardship, it's worth going to the interview since it's your first choice.

Edited to fix typo

Last edited:
All good points. I think it would be best for me to just borrow some money and go to the interview. Just so that I can never look back and regret not going to my top choice.

Reactions: 4 users
All good points. I think it would be best for me to just borrow some money and go to the interview. Just so that I can never look back and regret not going to my top choice.

This is what they make credit cards for.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do your best to go to your KCU-COM interview. Seriously its a top notch DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
Establish a GoFundMe.com account

I don't think a 25 will bar you from getting an acceptance as your gpa is high. KCU pre-screens very harshly and will not offer you an interview without you having a very real ( 80%ish) chance of being accepted. But if you're happy with where you've been accepted and have no money then opting not to go is fine too. Personally however I think that I wouldn't have been as happy as I am had I attend another school that was say not in a city setting or had all of the things that KC has.

So, my recommendation is think on it, if you want to but need money then call the school and schedule your interview later.

Though mind you KCU has 9 weeks for board prep, has very good board scores, and has almost 8 slots for electives ( 2 your 3rd year, 2 sub-Is, and 4 your 4th year).

you have your acceptances at good schools and you're broke. just relax and enjoy your acceptances, you don't need to interview much more if at all. make it easy on yourself.

But its one of his top schools. Something to consider.

I don't think a 25 will bar you from getting an acceptance as your gpa is high. KCU pre-screens very harshly and will not offer you an interview without you having a very real ( 80%ish) chance of being accepted. But if you're happy with where you've been accepted and have no money then opting not to go is fine too. Personally however I think that I wouldn't have been as happy as I am had I attend another school that was say not in a city setting or had all of the things that KC has.

So, my recommendation is think on it, if you want to but need money then call the school and schedule your interview later.

Though mind you KCU has 9 weeks for board prep, has very good board scores, and has almost 8 slots for electives ( 2 your 3rd year, 2 sub-Is, and 4 your 4th year).

9 Weeks!?

9 Weeks!?

Half that time is also a structured Kaplan course. 60% of students take USMLE Step 1 ( Pass rate = 98%; Avg: 220 or so), COMLEX pass rate is high 90s ( I think 97%; Avg is 540). Also our COMLEX 2 is a 98%.

KCU is a very heavy curriculum, but it pans out well for the students. You really benefit from attending here.

Half that time is also a structured Kaplan course. 60% of students take USMLE Step 1 ( Pass rate = 98%; Avg: 220 or so), COMLEX pass rate is high 90s ( I think 97%; Avg is 540). Also our COMLEX 2 is a 98%.

KCU is a very heavy curriculum, but it pans out well for the students. You really benefit from attending here.

See this is why I kind of wish either DMU or KCU existed and the other one didnt. They are both so strong. If I get into both, I'm going to have a really hard time deciding.

See this is why I kind of wish either DMU or KCU existed and the other one didnt. They are both so strong. If I get into both, I'm going to have a really hard time deciding.

I think that they tend to attract different people from the get go. I think in either case you cannot go wrong with either.

All I know is having 9 weeks for boards and a crap ton of electives really make me happy I'm attending here.

This. If you can/want to fork up the money for a chance to go to a top choice then do it, if not then no biggie because you already have some good acceptances. Nice work. It's a good problem to have :thumbup:

If you got an interview there, that means they are interested in you, so I would go to the interview, the school is one of the most established schools. In my opinion the older the school, the less likely you will have issues with your clinical training.

If you got an interview there, that means they are interested in you, so I would go to the interview, the school is one of the most established schools. In my opinion the older the school, the less likely you will have issues with your clinical training.

KCU has pretty solid clinical rotations. We've got a collection of rotations in Kansas City all within 20 minutes of the school for about 100 ( they're adding more) and then the rest spread out across the state, some in MI, Ohio, KS, CO, and Florida.

If I get into MUCOM, that would be my first choice (from the ones I listed above)
2. ACOM/CUSOM (fine line between the two, will need to do more research to make decision)

I also turned down my BCOM acceptance recently (I got accepted off the WL, we might've interviewed together on 8/4). I cant speak on CUSOM (didnt apply) or MUCOM (will interview on 11/6) but ACOM is a great school and I wish they didnt reject me, partly because I had a very good feeling about the program and also because flying to Dothan is super expensive. I understand your financial situation and I think ACOM is a great school to attend if you absolutely cannot afford to interview at KCU.

KCU has had a pretty solid rate for acceptance once you're on the interview list. If you can i would go but if money is very very tight and you've been accepted elsewhere then sometimes life just moves you another way and you need to go elsewhere.
The only thing you don't want happening is you regretting any decisions about not going to the KCU interview.

KCU has pretty solid clinical rotations. We've got a collection of rotations in Kansas City all within 20 minutes of the school for about 100 ( they're adding more) and then the rest spread out across the state, some in MI, Ohio, KS, CO, and Florida.

That is what I meant to say, the other schools he interviewed at are newer less established schools, the issue with newer DO schools and even some that have existed for a while is that clinical training is lacking, KCUMB is a rock solid school, if they want to interview him, his chances of getting in their are good, he should go.

That is what I meant to say, the other schools he interviewed at are newer less established schools, the issue with newer DO schools and even some that have existed for a while is that clinical training is lacking, KCUMB is a rock solid school, if they want to interview him, his chances of getting in their are good, he should go.

Right, there is no denying that there is a safer chance of getting solid 3rd year rotations in KC and a moderate ability to even stay in the area for rotations which is rare for many DO schools.

I think though he's got a few newer but midtier schools that will provide a decent environment though.

Interviewed at KCU today and it was one of the best experiences I have had so far. Also, I was also told by one of the current students that last year they interviewed ~600 students and accepted ~530 for a class of ~270. So, I am not sure how true those numbers are, but if that is true, you actually have a pretty good shot at getting in since you already have an interview.

I hope you find a way to make it work. Best of luck! :)

All older schools have similar equipments that will allow you to achieve. Your board results will be 100% on you. Also, clinical rotations should be a screening tool used by the applicants at the start of this process. Personally, I don't even bother with schools that might have dubious rotations.

Personally, I rank my preferences of schools based on these two things:
1) Family preference
2) Weather

You might think that the Midwest winter isn't a big deal considering that you will spend most of the time studying anyway. Having lived in the Midwest for 10 years, it's a big deal for me.

All older schools have similar equipments that will allow you to achieve. Your board results will be 100% on you. Also, clinical rotations should be a screening tool used by the applicants at the start of this process. Personally, I don't even bother with schools that might have dubious rotations.

Personally, I rank my preferences of schools based on these two things:
1) Family preference
2) Weather

You might think that the Midwest winter isn't a big deal considering that you will spend most of the time studying anyway. Having lived in the Midwest for 10 years, it's a big deal for me.

I say school reputation is important, especially when it comes to DO schools because not all DO schools are the same, MD schools more or less give their students the same kind of education, whether its Harvard or some lower tier MD school. You do not get that with DO schools, many DO schools do not have their act together with regards to clinical education, buyer beware. KCUMB is not in the nicest town, but its a great school, I am sure there are still some patches of nice places even around Kansas City where students can live and that being said he will spend most of his time indoors studying.

I say school reputation is important, especially when it comes to DO schools because not all DO schools are the same, MD schools more or less give their students the same kind of education, whether its Harvard or some lower tier MD school. You do not get that with DO schools, many DO schools do not have their act together with regards to clinical education, buyer beware. KCUMB is not in the nicest town, but its a great school, I am sure there are still some patches of nice places even around Kansas City where students can live and that being said he will spend most of his time indoors studying.

I agree. You really need to pick and choose your DO schools. I would always go to a more established DO school if you can.

I agree. Namesake at the more senior DO schools helps. Example: University of Michigan only accepts rotating DO students from KCU, MSUCOM, OUHCOOM, and two more I believe. Now I don't think that just namesake of the school is what causes these types of rules but more the quality of 4th students that is being judged. They don't know the quality of 4th year students of other DO programs because they do not where they rotate.

I agree. Namesake at the more senior DO schools helps. Example: University of Michigan only accepts rotating DO students from KCU, MSUCOM, OUHCOOM, and two more I believe. Now I don't think that just namesake of the school is what causes these types of rules but more the quality of 4th students that is being judged. They don't know the quality of 4th year students of other DO programs because they do not where they rotate.

That is why it makes sense to go to a quality DO school, my school is in AZ but my school matches students in CA residency programs at rate as good as the two California DO schools, we can even get students rotations in California if they so desire them, apparently one of the DO schools in CA was having some issues even keeping their students in state for their third year core rotations, that is how AZCOM has their stuff together. I guess the President of my school earns her $700,000 a year salary, her private jet and her annual vacation to whatever exotic locale she goes to each year.

Of the schools younger than 30 years old, I think AZCOM and ATSU SOMA are probably the best DO schools outside of the well established DO programs.

KCUMB is rock solid.

For MD schools you really do not have to do a lot of research on them because the LCME has very high standards when it comes to approving schools. COCA on other hand, the head of COCA spends more time watching the Little Mermaid and saying yes to any school with a lecture hall, labs, and a nice catchy name but no plan for clinical education and GME for those tuition paying students.

The AOA sends representatives to various colleges to educate premeds about DO schools, to applicants who would otherwise apply to Caribbean schools or other overseas programs, their efforts are paying off because applications to foreign schools from US students are flat while DO schools are up. I was trying to dig up some data from 8 years ago, and MCAT averages seem to be at least 4 points higher at most schools today.

Last edited:
That is why it makes sense to go to a quality DO school, my school is in AZ but my school matches students in CA residency programs at rate as good as the two California DO schools, we can even get students rotations in California if they so desire them, apparently one of the DO schools in CA was having some issues even keeping their students in state for their third year core rotations, that is how AZCOM has their stuff together. I guess the President of my school earns her $700,000 a year salary, her private jet and her annual vacation to whatever exotic locale she goes to each year.

Of the schools younger than 30 years old, I think AZCOM and ATSU SOMA are probably the best DO schools outside of the well established DO programs.

KCUMB is rock solid.

For MD schools you really do not have to do a lot of research on them because the LCME has very high standards when it comes to approving schools. COCA on other hand, the head of COCA spends more time watching the Little Mermaid and saying yes to any school with a lecture hall, labs, and a nice catchy name but no plan for clinical education and GME for those tuition paying students.
I've heard that clinical rotation to Cali from Azcom is very lacking. However their Glendale or Phoenix rotations are really good.

I've heard that clinical rotation to Cali from Azcom is very lacking. However their Glendale or Phoenix rotations are really good.

AZCOM only offered rotations in California for students who wanted to go back home after 2 years, I have not heard anything negative from my classmates rotating in California. That being said when our school places students in a locale, they remain their for the entire year, no moving around from place to place like a lot of other schools.

There are also several clinical sites in California, they added the California sites for students from that state who wanted be closer to home.

Being that the school is in the Phoenix area most rotations are near Phoenix, and yes the rotations in AZ are excellent, I met a doctor from California who thought the hospitals here were better than the ones in LA.

Last edited:

KCUMB is rock solid.

I agree. What do you think is a list of the "rock solid" schools?

KCUMB, PCOM, DMU, AZCOM, CCOM all come to mind for me.

I agree. What do you think is a list of the "rock solid" schools?

KCUMB, PCOM, DMU, AZCOM, CCOM all come to mind for me.

You got yourself an Ace of Diamonds there. SOLID.

Curious to know why mucom over cusom?

Curious to know why mucom over cusom?
Both schools are great. MUCOM is better for me because of the location. I am from CA and moving to rural NC is not that appealing. It would be too much of a culture shock for me.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't turn down an interview from your "preseason" number 1. Trust me, you don't want the regret of not trying.

I hope that you're ready for the Midwest winter. Those 4-5 months are going to be miserable.

I hope that you're ready for the Midwest winter. Those 4-5 months are going to be miserable.

MO is pretty southern tbh. The winters here are supposed to be mild. I mean for a CA or Fl mild is the end of the world already tho.

MO is pretty southern tbh. The winters here are supposed to be mild. I mean for a CA or Fl mild is the end of the world already tho.

It's pretty southern in term of culture. But, its weather is very Midwest -- straight up brutal. I grew up in the Midwest for 10 years of my life. I have been to the South and both coasts. I personally wouldn't want to come back to the Midwest because of the winter. That's me though. Personally, my performance is linked to my happiness which can be affected by the surroundings and the weather.

It's pretty southern in term of culture. But, its weather is very Midwest -- straight up brutal. I grew up in the Midwest for 10 years of my life. I have been to the South and both coasts. I personally wouldn't want to come back to the Midwest because of the winter. That's me though. Personally, my performance is linked to my happiness which can be affected by the surroundings and the weather.

Eh, it's not Siberia and it's not lake effect Buffalo.