Dealing with mental illness during pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendallmaee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any tips or advice for managing mental illness as a pre-med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Make sure it is under control before you apply and matriculate into medical school. It only gets harder from here.

See a physician for management of your mental illnesses.

Reactions: 1 users
By having a conversation with your psychiatrist and therapist not strangers on the internet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Basic advice would be to remain compliant with your medications and keep in touch with your psychiatrist. He or she would be a much better resource for managing your issues than a pre-med forum. Keep in mind, this route towards medicine can be unforgiving, so make sure you take care of your health first and foremost.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Get help for it immediately
2) Carefully think about what you're getting into. Med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students.
3) I have serious doubts that someone with BPD would make it to interview, much last past interviews.

Hi, does anyone have any tips or advice for managing mental illness (in my case, major depression, social and general anxiety, and borderline personality disorder) as a pre-med student?

Remember that your health comes first. While a career in medicine might be at the top of your list, you need to make room for physical and mental care. And remember that as you proceed through it, a pre-health curriculum is only going to get tougher.

This being said, I do not think that mental illness is always an immediate roadblock. I rely on counseling appointments to get through school with social anxiety and depression -- it's not easy, but it's doable. No one on this forum is going to be familiar with your specific circumstances, however.

Does your school have a wellness center? Is there anyone you can contact that can put you in touch with a counselor, a medical doctor, a relevant organization, etc.? I would definitely see what your options are first -- including whether those options will help or hinder you -- and go from there. And always remember that dropping out due to mental or physical strain is not a sign of weakness or failure; you're looking out for yourself, and that's the most important thing.

Best of luck.