DEA registration delays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced an inability to be able to get in touch with a local DEA office? I applied for a DEA transfer, I have called the local DEA office but can't get in touch with them! There is a message that the person in that office is away - my question is - do DEA offices only have one person working, per office so the whole system shuts down if someone is not there? This is affecting my credentialing. Are there more than one office per state that can take care of DEA registrations? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone experienced an inability to be able to get in touch with a local DEA office? I applied for a DEA transfer, I have called the local DEA office but can't get in touch with them! There is a message that the person in that office is away - my question is - do DEA offices only have one person working, per office so the whole system shuts down if someone is not there? This is affecting my credentialing. Are there more than one office per state that can take care of DEA registrations? Thanks!

How long ago did you apply for a DEA transfer? You could always try calling other DEA offices in your state and asking them these questions.

How long ago did you apply for a DEA transfer? You could always try calling other DEA offices in your state and asking them these questions.
Recently but most of the time my DEA transfers or applications have taken from a day to a week. I can't get a hold of anyone at the local DEA - have been calling for the past week and no one picks up. Reason why I ask - is it just one person per office?!

If time is of an issue, it would probably be much faster to keep the old dea license and just apply for a new 2nd one (and then just let the original expire if you no longer need it)

how would that be faster? it still has to be processed by the state one will practice in. i just find it shocking that simply because the local office person's is out on vacation or something the whole office is shut!

It's possible that with covid, these folks are working from home or in a limited capacity.

To clarify, you are going to practice in a state that issues a state DEA permit, and the federal DEA won't transfer until that's done?
Every state is different, but when I last went through this, the state issued both my medical license and my DEA permit at the same time. They both renewed at the same time as well. It was done through the medical professional licensing board and not the state DEA office. Those offices were for law enforcement and had nothing to do with prescribers, so calling them would have been a huge dead end. So double check how your state works.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible that with covid, these folks are working from home or in a limited capacity.

To clarify, you are going to practice in a state that issues a state DEA permit, and the federal DEA won't transfer until that's done?
Every state is different, but when I last went through this, the state issued both my medical license and my DEA permit at the same time. They both renewed at the same time as well. It was done through the medical professional licensing board and not the state DEA office. Those offices were for law enforcement and had nothing to do with prescribers, so calling them would have been a huge dead end. So double check how your state works.
Yeah, I was thinking that also. If this is state level, that's very specific. If it's federal, that is not done on the state level.

But, just to show how different states are, in Hawai'i, my dispensers license was separate from the state board, but was part of the law enforcement branch, but, was in a separate (and distant) location.

And, just a little factoid: what percentage of USDOJ DEA work is providers? 2% or less. The huge, vast majority is criminal offenders.

I'm licensed in at least one state that requires you to get to get the state license first THEN apply for the state version of the DEA and only after you get that you can apply for the federal DEA to be in that state (whether a new one or a transfer).

I'm licensed in at least one state that requires you to get to get the state license first THEN apply for the state version of the DEA and only after you get that you can apply for the federal DEA to be in that state (whether a new one or a transfer).
That's how SC works as well

I’m confused - I have the state license as well as controlled substance registration I just need to transfer my DEA from IL to IN. You need a DEA for every state. I am not following ? There is no federal DEA per se. it’s state dependent

There is no federal DEA per se.
Seriously? The US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration is the last word. That's the "DEA". If you don't know that, you have a bit of research to do. For example, my number starts with F, then a letter, then 7 numbers. No state issued that. That's federal.

Home | DEA.gov There's a start.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m confused - I have the state license as well as controlled substance registration I just need to transfer my DEA from IL to IN. You need a DEA for every state. I am not following ? There is no federal DEA per se. it’s state dependent
Um...no.
I currently work in a state that does not do separate DEAs. So the state had nothing to do whatsoever with my transfer when I came here.
But actually, the feds issue you the DEA number you put on a script. Some/most states also issue you a DEA permit, which you need to get before the feds will transfer the DEA to a practice address in that state.

Um...no.
I currently work in a state that does not do separate DEAs. So the state had nothing to do whatsoever with my transfer when I came here.
But actually, the feds issue you the DEA number you put on a script. Some/most states also issue you a DEA permit, which you need to get before the feds will transfer the DEA to a practice address in that state.

Don’t be too harsh on the OP. This is super state dependent and if OP has never been in a state that has its own CS license he’d have no idea what you’re talking about. This is a list of states that have state CS requirements vs not.

The federal DEA number is still state dependent, it’s just that if you’re not planning to practice in more than one state you can just transfer your existing federal DEA number and not have to apply for one for each state. Which is what I think OP is doing.

Don’t be too harsh on the OP. This is super state dependent and if OP has never been in a state that has its own CS license he’d have no idea what you’re talking about. This is a list of states that have state CS requirements vs not.

The federal DEA number is still state dependent, it’s just that if you’re not planning to practice in more than one state you can just transfer your existing federal DEA number and not have to apply for one for each state. Which is what I think OP is doing.

It's helpful that the OP told us their states.

IL does require the CS license, so the OP should already be familiar with that.
IN does as well. So the OP has to get an IN medical license, then the CSR (Indiana's permit) from IN can be issued, and then the Feds will transfer to the new practice. The Feds need the permit number to complete the process.
Hopefully the OP has applied for the CSR as well as the medical license. If not, that may be the hang up.
It says on their (Indiana's) website that any questions about obtaining the CSR should be directed to the licensing board.
i.e. the OP has been calling the wrong office.

Will also mention that you can't transfer your DEA before you are done using it in one state. So if the OP is still working in IL, s/he shouldn't complete the last step (transferring the DEA) until done at that job. The transfer itself takes almost no time to complete and should start with the DEA registration website. It only takes a day or two IIRC.

Reactions: 3 users
Why haven’t you just done the transfer on the website? It takes a couple of days for it to be effective and then you get the hard copy I’m the mail?

I have never had to talk to a person to get that transferred…im locums… transferring DEA ever 3-6 months

Why haven’t you just done the transfer on the website? It takes a couple of days for it to be effective and then you get the hard copy I’m the mail?

I have never had to talk to a person to get that transferred…im locums… transferring DEA ever 3-6 months
That’s exactly what I did !! I did this through the website but it says that it takes 4-6weeks - they have to change the state and address, etc. I have never had a DEA take that long. It’s not effective immediately it has to be processed. I even double checked and even submitted another one to make sure since I didn’t see it processed. They still have the old one on the website and can only print the old one on the website.

It's helpful that the OP told us their states.

IL does require the CS license, so the OP should already be familiar with that.
IN does as well. So the OP has to get an IN medical license, then the CSR (Indiana's permit) from IN can be issued, and then the Feds will transfer to the new practice. The Feds need the permit number to complete the process.
Hopefully the OP has applied for the CSR as well as the medical license. If not, that may be the hang up.
It says on their (Indiana's) website that any questions about obtaining the CSR should be directed to the licensing board.
i.e. the OP has been calling the wrong office.

Will also mention that you can't transfer your DEA before you are done using it in one state. So if the OP is still working in IL, s/he shouldn't complete the last step (transferring the DEA) until done at that job. The transfer itself takes almost no time to complete and should start with the DEA registration website. It only takes a day or two IIRC.
Smurfette perhaps I wasn’t clear so I will say it again for clarity.
I have an IL state license as well as an IL CSR and DEA.
I also have an IN license and IN CSR.
I am no longer practicing in IL so no need for IL DEA.
I agree with you it should take almost no time for the transfer in previous instances it had taken about a day or two. I submitted my application to transfer my IL DEA to IN DEA.
The actual transfer between states is done locally - not federally. So unfortunately I had to do this in IN.
I called the Indiana DEA multiple times but apparently the person who does the transfers is out of the office which I find shocking that due to one persons abscence the whole thing goes out the window.

Really weird. I've never had a federal DEA transfer take longer than 48 hours. It's just an address change...

Yes you got it! I am transferring DEA from IL which has its own CSR to IN which also has its own CSR - both of which I have. The hang up is why is it taking so darn long to transfer the DEA from IL to IN? They couldn’t tell me at federal DEa other than. Just wait. Sigh.

Really weird. I've never had a federal DEA transfer take longer than 48 hours. It's just an address change...
Thank you. This is what I’m saying! I never have had this issue either. And I keep calling and it goes to voicemail.

Um...no.
I am not following you - there is no such thing as a DEA permit - you mean a CSR? The DEA that is done at the federal level registration wise is state dependent - every state requires one. You can’t practice with a DEA from one state in another al- every state requires a new permit or a transfer. I am doing a transfer.

I am not following you - there is no such thing as a DEA permit - you mean a CSR? The DEA that is done at the federal level registration wise is state dependent - every state requires one. You can’t practice with a DEA from one state in another al- every state requires a new permit or a transfer. I am doing a transfer.
I also don’t know what you mean by my state does not so separate DEA.

Seriously? The US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration is the last word. That's the "DEA". If you don't know that, you have a bit of research to do. For example, my number starts with F, then a letter, then 7 numbers. No state issued that. That's federal.

Home | DEA.gov There's a start.
That’s why I said - per se! Yes the DEA is federal but you don’t get a “federal” number where you can practice eveyrwheee - you need a change to every single state you are practicing in. So while the federal gov might give you the number initially it’s still attached to a specific state -

I also don’t know what you mean by my state does not so separate DEA.

I just meant that I am in a state that does not do a CSR (not all states call it a CSR, btw, which is why I said "permit" so as to be generic). No state paperwork is needed to be completed at all to get a DEA here. All you need is a state medical license and the feds will issue or transfer your DEA to the new practice site.

I just meant that I am in a state that does not do a CSR (not all states call it a CSR, btw, which is why I said "permit" so as to be generic). No state paperwork is needed to be completed at all to get a DEA here. All you need is a state medical license and the feds will issue or transfer your DEA to the new practice site.

I see. Yeah I was told initially that IN did not require a CSR/permit and then come to find out when I tried transferring my dEA that I did! And of course when I immediately applied for the CSR someone in that department had just gotten promoted and they took over 10 days to even look at my application. This is why there should be one national license/DEA period - not one per state. It makes things so much more unnecessarily complicated!

So the hold up is a state problem.... getting a CSR in the new state. ... and not a federal issue?
No CSR was gotten. The DEA went through last week but yes hold up at state level

No CSR was gotten. The DEA went through last week but yes hold up at state level
The DEA has nothing to do with the state, the holdup was at the federal level. It just happened to be the DEA office that was taking their time to process your app was in the same state as you.

The DEA has nothing to do with the state, the holdup was at the federal level. It just happened to be the DEA office that was taking their time to process your app was in the same state as you.
DEA is state dependent that’s why there are local offices and only the state you want to work in can process this and reason why every state has different DEa

DEA is state dependent that’s why there are local offices and only the state you want to work in can process this and reason why every state has different DEa
The DEA has >200 offices throughout the country, all run by the feds. I assume there's at least one in each state. Your application will be processed by the office closest to you. It has zero, bupkis, nada to do with the state government. It is solely the responsibility of the federal government.

The requirement to have one in each state that you practice is due to the (Federal) Controlled Substances Act that basically predicates your DEA being issued based on you being licensed in that state. So the individual DEA numbers are tied to your state license but only to the extent that the federal government uses the state licenses to keep track of your eligibility. And you must be eligible in each state in which you work, so they require you to maintain them separately. But the end of the state responsibility to you being issued a DEA is you being issued a license (and, when relevant, a controlled substance permit).

Reactions: 1 users
This is not correct. DEA is federal and the state had nothing to do with it. In fact you have to have the DEA to the process any state CSR.
And you only need more than one DEA if you are working in more than one state at the same time…otherwise you just move the DEA to whatever state you go to next.

I have 11 state licenses and 2 DEAs …one stays in my home state and the other one floats to whatever state I’m working as a locums.

only 2 of my state licenses require a CSR and I had to have a DEA parked in the state to get them.

This is not correct. DEA is federal and the state had nothing to do with it. In fact you have to have the DEA to the process any state CSR.
And you only need more than one DEA if you are working in more than one state at the same time…otherwise you just move the DEA to whatever state you go to next.

I have 11 state licenses and 2 DEAs …one stays in my home state and the other one floats to whatever state I’m working as a locums.

only 2 of my state licenses require a CSR and I had to have a DEA parked in the state to get them.
You got it right except the CSR and DEA you got backwards. At least in both the states I’m licensed that require a CSR, you need a CSR to get the DEA - the DEA application asks for it.

You got it right except the CSR and DEA you got backwards. At least in both the states I’m licensed that require a CSR, you need a CSR to get the DEA - the DEA application asks for it.
The DEA ask IF you have a CSR to list it… but it may also be that I had my 1st DEA in a state that didn’t have a CSR and was moving my existing DEA to state that had a CSR(Massachusetts)… if it’s your first DEA is assigned to a state that had a CSR, then I guess that could happen… but sounds kinda weird… but again, of my licenses, only 2 require a CSR.

Same here