David Newman allegations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something popped up on my FB feed.
http://doctors.ajc.com/
I don't know if I want to read through it all.

Members don't see this ad.

Something popped up on my FB feed.
http://doctors.ajc.com/
I don't know if I want to read through it all.

I was just reading that, presumably from the same facebook feed. I read through some of it. I'm not sure how I feel yet. There obviously needs to be an effective system to identify, investigate, and charge physicians who abuse their position to sexually assault (or otherwise victimize) people. At the same time, physician's deserve some protection from baseless accusations.

I don't think this is evidence of changing times. This is a particularly shocking and disturbing case, but people have always been capable of such deplorable acts, and doctors have always been people. So, as already stated...

So as already stated... "Or at least more apparent." I gotcha man.

Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2016-12-20_21-51-8.png

How long did it take you to make that?
And why did you?

Reactions: 2 users
How long did it take you to make that?
And why did you?

You'd think he's at least throw a fake "verified blue check" though. Lol.

Also, considering the tweet is timed "Now," i.e. less than one minute. It's pretty hard to get in the 2-3 thousand range for retweets & favs in less than 1 minute, even for someone with 10 million followers.

That being said, it's a minimally respectable fake, though. Points for general appearance, points deducted for being far less outrageous than dozens of real Trump tweets I've seen. Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann and the most rabidly delusional Trump haters would definitely bite at it. Anyone else will a rational mind, functioning cerebral cortex who's an upright-walker would spot it immediately.

I give it a 4 out of 10. Not good enough for even a bronze.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The right side of the tweet reads "created @ faketrumptweets.com" so I don't think @JoeyB was actually trying to fool anyone.

Nope, not buying it. I notice this anytime a woman accuses a man of any misconduct. There is a pervasive assumption that the woman is lying while the man is innocent and victim of a diabolical plan to "take him down." The very least is to keep a neutral stance in these situations/accusations/alleged crimes and not to take either side until evidence is examined and proof is brought forth.

You are acting like bizarre things dont happen all the time. "Truth is stranger than fiction." And I dont understand how a doctor doing what he did seems so utterly far fetched to you. If it were, there would be no need for chaperones in medical practice.

All of this exactly. What happened here was a closing of ranks. The mostly male commentators here identified with him. There is no epidemic of false accusations of sexual assault, at least not anymore than false reports of other crimes. People would rather believe a highly improbable vast female agenda against the good doctor. God forbid they entertain the reality of the sexual minefield many women find themselves navigating in the work place, in bars, on the streets, supermarkets, gyms, air planes . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
.....God forbid they entertain the reality of the sexual minefield PEOPLE OF BOTH SEXES find themselves navigating in the work place, in bars, on the streets, supermarkets, gyms, air planes . . .

There, fixed that for you.

There, fixed that for you.
You just wasted keystrokes. There was no need for "fixing." Women disproportionately suffer this in comparison to men and to try to deny this fact is idiocy.

You just wasted keystrokes. There was no need for "fixing." Women disproportionately suffer this in comparison to men and to try to deny this fact is idiocy.

I wasted nothing.

Women disproportionally suffer in sexual assault and harassment.

Men disproportionally suffer in the false-reporting of sexual assault and harassment.

It's a minefield for both sexes. Meanwhile, in the middle of this minefield, man and woman have to be able to enter into various relationships, whether they are doctor/patient, supervisor/worker, colleague, or, as frequently happens, romantic.

It sounds like this case was handled very well. An incredulous accusation was made, it was appropriately investigated, evidence was collected that showed it occurred, and the perpetrator is going to jail.

The next step will be civil lawsuits against Newman and the hospital.

All of this exactly. What happened here was a closing of ranks. The mostly male commentators here identified with him. There is no epidemic of false accusations of sexual assault, at least not anymore than false reports of other crimes. People would rather believe a highly improbable vast female agenda against the good doctor. God forbid they entertain the reality of the sexual minefield many women find themselves navigating in the work place, in bars, on the streets, supermarkets, gyms, air planes . . .

Sorry RooibosTea, but you're just plain wrong. And it's not even close. Every man on this board has been accused multiple times of sexual impropriety multiple times. They go to varying extents, but we have all dealt with it. It's usually an insane person shouting that you assaulted them when you literally haven't been within 10 feet of them before asking for haldol then never hearing about it again - but it has happened to everyone here several times. Sometimes it has gone as far as a letter to the medical director. I'd say I've had a dozen women accuse me of sexually assaulting them (none of whom I had been anywhere near) - not a single one has gone past me saying "yep; my name is Dr. TimesNewRoman, the medical directors name is Dr. Director and the chair is Dr. Chair. I can get you the number if you like."

I know a physician who had charges pressed and quickly dropped - it was insane, but it wrecked his practice for weeks while they looked into it. If this wasn't an immenent harm, do you really think we would never do an exam without a chaperone? I love slowing down the department to find a female tech or wait for the nurse to be free!

Seriously, don't create a bogus account to push your agenda and speak to a topic on which you are either ill informed or just don't care to believe the facts.

Sorry RooibosTea, but you're just plain wrong. And it's not even close. Every man on this board has been accused multiple times of sexual impropriety multiple times. They go to varying extents, but we have all dealt with it. It's usually an insane person shouting that you assaulted them when you literally haven't been within 10 feet of them before asking for haldol then never hearing about it again - but it has happened to everyone here several times. Sometimes it has gone as far as a letter to the medical director. I'd say I've had a dozen women accuse me of sexually assaulting them (none of whom I had been anywhere near) - not a single one has gone past me saying "yep; my name is Dr. TimesNewRoman, the medical directors name is Dr. Director and the chair is Dr. Chair. I can get you the number if you like."

I know a physician who had charges pressed and quickly dropped - it was insane, but it wrecked his practice for weeks while they looked into it. If this wasn't an immenent harm, do you really think we would never do an exam without a chaperone? I love slowing down the department to find a female tech or wait for the nurse to be free!

Seriously, don't create a bogus account to push your agenda and speak to a topic on which you are either ill informed or just don't care to believe the facts.
Oh please, doesn't change the fact that many of your male peers are sleezy and indeed prey upon women inside and outside the medical field. The evidence has been brought forth and the man is guilty as charged (no surprise).

Knock it off. Blatantly accusing all men of sex crimes is downright pathological.

Reactions: 3 users
When did I ever accuse "all" men?

Lol it's so predictable how we've entered the "not all men" phase of this thread.

Your personal reputation does not trump the well being of others. It's this pervasive concern for what accusations can do to men's careers, families that leads to disgustingly lenient sentences like Brock Turner. Little regard is given to the lifetime of damage done to the victims.

I also know a colleague who I think was wrongfully accused of sexual assault, but I've never been accused of sexual impropriety, certainly not multiple times--certainly not a dozen.

I also know a colleague who I think was wrongfully accused of sexual assault, but I've never been accused of sexual impropriety, certainly not multiple times--certainly not a dozen.

That's another thing. Where is this happening where EVERY DAMN MALE MED STUDENT/PHYSICIAN is being accused of sexual assault? Where?

Reactions: 1 users
Implicit bias in the forms of sexism and racism remain very serious problems in the world today. That being said, I don't think that the above posts are likely to move us towards a solution.

Most of all, I do not see grounds for banning. To do so would only support the (false) accusation that we're "closing ranks" around a sexual predator.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's fairly obvious that female physicians get a different experience, we've all seen female colleagues called "nurse", get belittled or even field sexual advances almost daily from patients. As a male I've had inappropriate advances and comments directed at me but there's no way it's as common as the average female. From the patient's side I'd really like to think it's nowhere near as common as we see it from the physicians side, but let's be honest, we really don't know.

The fact of the matter is that physicians are (and should be) held to a higher standard, and as such every bad apple will have a disproportionally negative effect on the reputation of all physicians.

Reactions: 6 users
Implicit bias in the forms of sexism and racism remain very serious problems in the world today. That being said, I don't think that the above posts are likely to move us towards a solution.

Most of all, I do not see grounds for banning. To do so would only support the (false) accusation that we're "closing ranks" around a sexual predator.

It would be pathetic to ban someone because you can't stand having a difference of opinion.

Disagreeing =/= agitating

There's a difference between being involved in the world of EM at some level and having a relevant opinion and coming onto a forum in which you just want to fan the flames.

I fan flames here all the time; but I'm also a community EM attending.

I have known hundreds of EM physicians in my career and can't name one who was convicted or even accused of actual sexual assault. Plenty got DUIs, one got fired for touching a nurse's butt, and another is serving 10 years for running a pill mill.

Pet peeve: When people try to make a point about some social justice inequity, to people who neither created the problem, nor are able to solve it.

Pet peeve: When people try to make a point about some social justice inequity, to people who neither created the problem, nor are able to solve it.

Cool. My pet peeve is people who can't see how they might unwittingly perpetuate some social justice inequity, nor want to discuss it.

Cool. My pet peeve is people who can't see how they might unwittingly perpetuate some social justice inequity, nor want to discuss it.

My pet peeve is one person coming into a forum where everyone else is a regular and making up 2 new screen names to stir the pot.

Maybe my residency program was unique, but we had a ton of psych and substance abuse patients. When you told them to stop pseudo-seizing and/or that they don't get narcs, saying they were inappropriately touched, that you struck them or calling you a racist (assuming you are of a different race) tended to be the go-to's.

I suspect this wouldn't be a problem in a well-insured community hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh please, doesn't change the fact that many of your male peers are sleezy and indeed prey upon women inside and outside the medical field. The evidence has been brought forth and the man is guilty as charged (no surprise).

Umm, yes it's a huge surprise. To essentially everyone.

Stop. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. No one is saying he is innocent, in fact, many have commented on how weak the sentence is.

Status
Not open for further replies.