Newman. And now this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the truth is our laws are heavily influenced by religion in the US. that's why you see in god we trust in many of our official government stuff. i also agree that child circumcision should be illegal, unless it is absolutely needed. the parent is subjecting the child to unneeded surgery and often anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i also agree that child circumcision should be illegal, unless it is absolutely needed. the parent is subjecting the child to unneeded surgery and often anesthesia.

Anesthesia? You do know that most of those babies get oral sucrose and maybe an injection of lidocaine. There's a reason that rabbis can perform the procedure.

Reactions: 1 users
Anesthesia? You do know that most of those babies get oral sucrose and maybe an injection of lidocaine. There's a reason that rabbis can perform the procedure.

yes except not all of them get circumcisions as babies. there are plenty of older kids beyond first few days of life who gets them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Purpose of infant circumcision: Remove the foreskin, mostly for cultural/religious purposes, but some data that it reduces infections, etc.
Adverse effects of infant circumcision: Very rare infection/surgical error.
Ethical? Yes,leave it up to the parents.

Purpose of female genital mutilation: Remove the clitoris so she will have reduced sexual pleasure throughout the rest of her life. Done entirely for a barbaric cultural/religious purpose.
Adverse effects: Rare infection, but the girl (future woman) no longer has an important sexual organ thus limiting her sexual function/ability/pleasure.
Ethical? NOWHERE IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION is this ethical, and should be considered assault. Any physician (or quack) who performs such assault should be imprisoned, as well as any parents who forced the girl to undergo such terrible assault.

If this doesn't make sense to you...then you are truly disturbed.

Reactions: 2 users
Purpose of infant circumcision: Remove the foreskin, mostly for cultural/religious purposes, but some data that it reduces infections, etc.
Adverse effects of infant circumcision: Very rare infection/surgical error.
Ethical? Yes,leave it up to the parents.

Purpose of female genital mutilation: Remove the clitoris so she will have reduced sexual pleasure throughout the rest of her life. Done entirely for a barbaric cultural/religious purpose.
Adverse effects: Rare infection, but the girl (future woman) no longer has an important sexual organ thus limiting her sexual function/ability/pleasure.
Ethical? NOWHERE IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION is this ethical, and should be considered assault. Any physician (or quack) who performs such assault should be imprisoned, as well as any parents who forced the girl to undergo such terrible assault.

If this doesn't make sense to you...then you are truly disturbed.

Someone's not being culturally sensitive. Every culture in the world is just as equally valid, and entitled to their beliefs as we are......

Someone's not being culturally sensitive. Every culture in the world is just as equally valid, and entitled to their beliefs as we are......
Entitled to any and all of their own beliefs?

Yes.

Entitled to act on any and all of their own beliefs?

No.

I just post whatever it is, and then /sarcasm, in case the people reading don't get it.

I actually think that people who have these kind of crazy beliefs (female circumcision) shouldn't be welcome into the U.S. period, regardless of whether they act on it. Their fundamental way of thinking is incompatible with American values, and the way our society is ordered. Same goes for Burqas, arranged marriages, and Shariah law.

arranged marriages

Arranged marriages don’t have to be inherently bad. A lot of orthodox Jewish communities have them. I grew up in one and was fixed up with a few girls. Typically you go on a few dates to see if the arrangement works, and if not you just call it off. That’s probably not the kind of arranged marriage you mean, but they aren’t all like what I’m guessing you’re thinking.

I actually think that people who have these kind of crazy beliefs (female circumcision) shouldn't be welcome into the U.S. period, regardless of whether they act on it. Their fundamental way of thinking is incompatible with American values, and the way our society is ordered. Same goes for Burqas, arranged marriages, and Shariah law.

How about people who don't believe in religious toleration and liberty, people who endorse immigration bans and other anti-liberal views that clash with the basic Enlightenment ideals that this country was founded upon? What should we do with them?

So much parochial ignorance and vile chauvinism in this thread... It's quite disgusting.

Last edited:
Arranged marriages don’t have to be inherently bad. A lot of orthodox Jewish communities have them. I grew up in one and was fixed up with a few girls. Typically you go on a few dates to see if the arrangement works, and if not you just call it off. That’s probably not the kind of arranged marriage you mean, but they aren’t all like what I’m guessing you’re thinking.

That's not the same as an arranged marriage

How about people who don't believe in religious toleration and liberty, people who endorse immigration bans and other anti-liberal views that clash with the basic Enlightenment ideals that this country was founded upon? What should we do with them?

So much parochial ignorance and vile chauvinism in this thread... It's quite disgusting.

Apples to oranges. We can have a disagreement on immigration policy. You would basically say that half the country is "against basic enlightenment ideals" and not worthy of being allowed to contribute to American culture? I'm pro immigration if people learn English, work, don't collect welfare and contribute. I'm against Immigration if people don't learn English, don't adopt American culture, and are parasitic in nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it's not. Being "set up with dates" isn't the same as "Marry this person, or else we will disown you and cut off all support".

No, you are wrong. What you are talking about is forced marriage.

Apples to oranges. We can have a disagreement on immigration policy. You would basically say that half the country is "against basic enlightenment ideals" and not worthy of being allowed to contribute to American culture? I'm pro immigration if people learn English, work, don't collect welfare and contribute. I'm against Immigration if people don't learn English, don't adopt American culture, and are parasitic in nature.

How many languages do you read and/or speak? Other than 'Murican?

Fair enough. I couldn't tell from the hick vibe you project.

So wanting immigrants who contribute to society, assimilate to American culture, and speak English is a "hick vibe"?

BTW French I learned in Canada growing up, though admittedly rusty as there is little use for it in the U.S.
Spanish I learned over the past 5 years working on the Mexican/Texas border treating an underserved Hispanic, non-English speaking population.

So wanting immigrants who contribute to society, assimilate to American culture, and speak English is a "hick vibe"?

BTW French I learned in Canada growing up, though admittedly rusty as there is little use for it in the U.S.
Spanish I learned over the past 5 years working on the Mexican/Texas border treating an underserved Hispanic, non-English speaking population.

It's not just your stance on immigration that gives you the hick vibe. It's your overall worldview and bigotry, and immigration policy is simply what you hide all that behind. You're a bigot.

It's not just your stance on immigration that gives you the hick vibe. It's your overall worldview and bigotry, and immigration policy is simply what you hide all that behind. You're a bigot.

Ahh "you're a racist". The last gasp of those who have nothing to argue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.