Article published of the first hand account of the victim of Newman's sexual assault

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But temporarily paralyzing someone for 15 minutes and masturbating all over them? What do you expect the women to think when they wake up?

I think he didn't worry about what she'd think. He was confident that she would be labeled as crazy & that he'd get away with it. And from what I read in the article, he very nearly did.

Members don't see this ad.

By humbling ourselves with new perspectives.
I started by reading books like this.
Haven’t read the book but personally have noticed that men are just more prone to sexual crimes or inappropriateness than women. Although there are women offenders out there.
I’ve had two male mentors I trusted become inappropriate over time after getting close to them through work or school. Nothing I felt compelled to report. Just removed myself from the situation. In fact I felt bad that if they tried the same stuff with other females they’d lose their jobs...not sure the solution here...maybe educate the public on what is proper procedure is when being examined or given sedating Meds(?) ...

Also sad that these docs target the poor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's cause the handing off doc was Andy Jagoda, who is the chair, and probably just does whatever the F he wants.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile
I'm not defending Newman, and have zero connection to any of his trash, but I'll go on the record as being 100% supportive of Andy Jagoda. At least when I worked with him (and I wasn't a Sinai EM resident), he was SO not about "doing whatever the F he wants". He helped me out, when he didn't even have to, and I didn't owe him anything. He is such a good guy, I tell anyone that he is one of my (few) heroes in EM.

Also sad that these docs target the poor.
Also according to this article, Newman specifically chose his victims by race. So, he’s not just a rapist, but a racist rapist.

Reactions: 1 users
To be clear, I do not think women are beyond criticism. The fact that men get away with such behavior has more to do with the course of history (and the social structures that have resulted) than with any inherent badness in men or goodness in women.

Case in point: one of Jeffery Epstein's chief enablers was a woman.
True. And I wasn't implying you were.
Men have gotten away with more since the beginning of the species. But it doesn't make women unable to do it as well.
There's plenty of worry about the obvious cases where the pendulum has swung the other way and people believe the storyteller based on zero evidence. Convicting the accused without a trial.

So I'm in the favor of investigating everything. I can't fix the wrongs of the past, but I can hopefully help prevent wrongs of the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Two other women have come forward. One of them had even filed a complaint with the hospital...but it never got seriously investigated.

Fact is that he's a creep, probably a sociopath. This could (and has) lead some to shrug it off with a "doctors are people, so of course some of them will have human faults". But to me the bigger story here* is that our society systematically favors the voice of men in power over the women and men that they use that power to abuse. The metaproblem is that this practice is so ingrained in us that we unknowingly bend over backwards to avoid seeing that problem when it's right in front of our face.

If you see through a distorted lens for a long time it becomes almost impossible to see the distortion.

*and elsewhere (see Matt Lauer, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffery Epstein, and a hell of a lot of national politicians of both political parties)

I disagree. I think you have it all wrong. This isn’t a sexist thing, this is an odds thing. It’s pretest probability.
If you or I get accused of sexual assault today, the overwhelming odds are that it didn’t happen. It takes a compelling story to convince you otherwise.

We live in an era where there is simultaneously no shortage of unprosecuted true allegations and false allegations in coexistence, and often it’s hard to tell the difference. Juries have a difficult job.

More women DID come forward -- If I recall, about three or four. All poor and women of color who were more likely to have their stories disbelieved.

I see we cross-posted @WilcoWorld Our culture of disbelief and entitlement contributes so much to the problem.

Ah, I didn’t really follow the story closely. I’m not surprised. Thanks for informing me.

I disagree. I think you have it all wrong. This isn’t a sexist thing, this is an odds thing. It’s pretest probability.
If you or I get accused of sexual assault today, the overwhelming odds are that it didn’t happen. It takes a compelling story to convince you otherwise.

Most people do not commit sexual assault (thank goodness), so you are correct that if I pick a random dude off the street, odds are he is not a rapist (again, thank goodness). But that's not the question at issue. The question is how to handle accusations of sexual assault. My position is that there is strong motivation for victims NOT to come forward. Also, when someone claims that they have been sexually assaulted, odds are that person is telling the truth*. I'm not arguing for "guilty until proven innocent" I am arguing that the default should be to consider allegations to be credible and to investigate them appropriately. I'm claiming that historically this has not been our practice.

The systematic silencing of victims of sexual assault is a consequence of systematic misogyny, it is also a mechanism by which that system is maintained. If sexism is a conscious attitude of disdain towards one sex, then I would agree that this isn't necessarily a sexist thing. It's more subtle than that. People do not think "Women are stupid liars, therefore Dave Newman was innocent"**. However many, perhaps most, people do think "Good guys don't do this sort of thing. I think Dave Newman is a good guy. Therefore this woman must be lying" and then they analyze the accuser for reasons to discredit them. Instead of investigating the crime we first scrutinize the victim***. I did that very thing when this news broke.

Go back to the article linked in the first post of this thread, and go back to the initial discussion on this forum when this news first broke. You'll find that in both cases the prevailing attitude towards Aja Newman was one of incredulity, she just couldn't have been telling the truth. There MUST be some other explanation. That is the mistake that I am cautioning us against continuing to make.

*i.e.: false accusations are the exception, not the rule
**well, some probably do, but they're not on this forum for the most part. That is sexism - I'm talking about misogyny, a more subtle and pernicious problem
***what were you wearing? how much did you have to drink? how did you get to the party?

Last edited:
The part that amazed me was he apparently took the victim’s vital signs. Are NYC EDs so poorly staffed the Dept Chair has to take the vitals? I knew they were bad, but why is that tolerated? Are there any EDs there that are staffed to what would be the standard in other parts of the country (nurse patient ratio 1:3-4 or so, techs, receptionists, etc)?

I'm not defending Newman, and have zero connection to any of his trash, but I'll go on the record as being 100% supportive of Andy Jagoda. At least when I worked with him (and I wasn't a Sinai EM resident), he was SO not about "doing whatever the F he wants". He helped me out, when he didn't even have to, and I didn't owe him anything. He is such a good guy, I tell anyone that he is one of my (few) heroes in EM.

The part that amazed me was he apparently took the victim’s vital signs. Are NYC EDs so poorly staffed the Dept Chair has to take the vitals? I knew they were bad, but why is that tolerated? Are there any EDs there that are staffed to what would be the standard in other parts of the country (nurse patient ratio 1:3-4 or so, techs, receptionists, etc)?

More reason to ask why anyone would work in a hellhole NYC ED?

Why did she have an IV in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
More reason to ask why anyone would work in a hellhole NYC ED?

I don't know why anyone would go to NYC even for a weekend.
I've been there a ton.
Would you like to walk down this side of the sidewalk? That will be $28.43 plus tax.
Would you like a beer? That will be 12.45.
I seriously ordered a bottle of Yuengling at a pub in south Manhattan one day. I was an MS-3.
Didn't think it was a big deal.
10 dollars, please.

OH! but you can see the statue of liberty, and walk on Wall Street, and robbledy-robble-robble.
And you can be harassed by bums, and eat ****ty hot dogs on corners, and feel all "Noo Yawwkey"

Nope.

I'll take Kansas over NYC. At least it doesn't smell like urine and there's a limited chance of me stepping on a dirty needle.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would go to NYC even for a weekend.
I've been there a ton.
Would you like to walk down this side of the sidewalk? That will be $28.43 plus tax.
Would you like a beer? That will be 12.45.
I seriously ordered a bottle of Yuengling at a pub in south Manhattan one day. I was an MS-3.
Didn't think it was a big deal.
10 dollars, please.

OH! but you can see the statue of liberty, and walk on Wall Street, and robbledy-robble-robble.
And you can be harassed by bums, and eat ****ty hot dogs on corners, and feel all "Noo Yawwkey"

Nope.

I'll take Kansas over NYC. At least it doesn't smell like urine and there's a limited chance of me stepping on a dirty needle.

Was in NYC in July. Definitely can't spend more than 1-2 days there, between the gross "street food", thousands of panhandlers, and hordes of asian tourists. I couldn't even get near the bull to rub his balls!

Was in NYC in July. Definitely can't spend more than 1-2 days there, between the gross "street food", thousands of panhandlers, and hordes of asian tourists. I couldn't even get near the bull to rub his balls!

I did my residency in NYC. I was happy to leave but there were some things that I liked - the street food was good. There are fruit / vege stands on every other corner that were cheap. There was one between my hospital and apartment.

In general though
It's just too damn expensive. And the people are not nice.

I went up to the top of the World Trade Center in '96.

I don’t get the street food appeal for NYC for locals. I mean it’s great for a traveling weekend, but regular consumption? Say hello to diabetes, hypertension and all other accompanying maladies

I don’t get the street food appeal for NYC for locals. I mean it’s great for a traveling weekend, but regular consumption? Say hello to diabetes, hypertension and all other accompanying maladies
Not to mention ecoli and dysentery from the unsanitary street food vendors who lack proper washing/toilet facilities.

Last edited:
Not to mention ecoli and dysentery from the unsanitary street food vendors who lack proper washing/toilet facilities.

Well it's all a moot point now for David Newman, he is enjoying the food in New Orleans, which I think we can all agree is quite good.

'Hello sir, I'm Dr. Newman, I'm your new neighbor, here's a copy of my very well reviewed book, also sometime you should watch my Tedx talk. Anyway I'll see you around. ohbythewayimasexoffender. Thank you!'

Weird story. I loved Newman's book and listened to every one of his podcasts. I really really liked the way he questioned the status quo in medicine. But there was a point where his podcasts really slowed down, his wife was no longer on (he always said it was because of her fellowship), and then they just stopped for months on end. I was just laying in bed one night, and it dawned on me, "I haven't heard a smartEM podcast in forever, what the hell happened". So I googled David Newman emergency medicine. An article was posted online literally just hours before I searched breaking the news of what he did. It was so bizarre how it just popped into my mind out of nowhere the day the story broke.

It still saddens me that Newman was a sociopath. Hippocrates Shadow is a great book, it really is. But I never recommend it, ever, because I don't want him to benefit from anything. He deserved a sentence worse than he got. And he should absolutely never be able to practice medicine again after what he did.

We live in an era where there is simultaneously no shortage of unprosecuted true allegations and false allegations in coexistence, and often it’s hard to tell the difference. Juries have a difficult job.

Really? The stats I am aware of indicate that false reporting is vanishingly rare. Can you send me a link/citation so I can learn more?

Really? The stats I am aware of indicate that false reporting is vanishingly rare. Can you send me a link/citation so I can learn more?
I have always heard that false reporting is rare, too. So, I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, I'm saying you're right. The crime of false reporting of sexual assault is much less common than the crime of sexual assault. Because you asked, I did some google searching on the subject. Here's what I found.

The Innocence Project, has list of wrongful sexual assault convictions they've gotten overturned. You have to go to their website and enter sexual assault in the search tab in the upper right corner. I count at least 125 people wrongly convicted of sexual assault, overturned and freed. You can read their stories. Many are falsely accused and falsely jailed minorities. Some are even women.

A search of news reports reveals this:

Lawyer apologizes for falsely accusing trooper of rape

Lawsuit accuses Seneca Valley 'mean girls' of targeting boy with false allegations
Lawsuit accuses Seneca Valley ‘mean girls’ of targeting boy with false allegations

Woman who lied about rape at Michigan college sentenced to jail

Mount Pleasant woman arrested for filing a false police report
www.moultrienews.com/news/crime/mount-pleasant-woman-arrested-for-filing-a-false-police-report/article_64666846-256c-11e9-9b31-cfc00707ad22.html

She Claimed A Police Officer Raped Her. Surveillance Footage Determined That Was A Lie

School under fire for turning blind eye to female students’ false sex assault allegations

ESPN’s ‘30 for 30’ documentary ‘Fantastic Lies’ probes the infamous 2006 Duke lacrosse case, where three white student-athletes were (falsely) accused of rape The Stripper Who Cried ‘Rape’: Revisiting the Duke Lacrosse Case Ten Years Later

Pair Wrongly Convicted Of Raping Woman In Central Park To Be Freed

‪Rolling Stone to Pay $1.65 Million to Fraternity Over False Rape Accusation They Reported As True https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/business/media/rape-uva-rolling-stone-frat.html‬

Tawana Brawley starts paying man she falsely accused of rape

Last edited:
I have always heard that false reporting is rare, too. So, I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, I'm saying you're right. The crime of false reporting of sexual assault is much less common than the crime of sexual assault. Because you asked, I did some google searching on the subject. Here's what I found.

The Innocence Project, has list of wrongful sexual assault convictions they've gotten overturned. You have to go to their website and enter sexual assault in the search tab in the upper right corner. I count at least 125 people wrongly convicted of sexual assault, overturned and freed. You can read their stories. Many are falsely accused and falsely jailed minorities. Some are even women.

A search of news reports reveals this:

Lawyer apologizes for falsely accusing trooper of rape

Lawsuit accuses Seneca Valley 'mean girls' of targeting boy with false allegations
Lawsuit accuses Seneca Valley ‘mean girls’ of targeting boy with false allegations

Woman who lied about rape at Michigan college sentenced to jail

Mount Pleasant woman arrested for filing a false police report
www.moultrienews.com/news/crime/mount-pleasant-woman-arrested-for-filing-a-false-police-report/article_64666846-256c-11e9-9b31-cfc00707ad22.html

She Claimed A Police Officer Raped Her. Surveillance Footage Determined That Was A Lie

School under fire for turning blind eye to female students’ false sex assault allegations

ESPN’s ‘30 for 30’ documentary ‘Fantastic Lies’ probes the infamous 2006 Duke lacrosse case, where three white student-athletes were (falsely) accused of rape The Stripper Who Cried ‘Rape’: Revisiting the Duke Lacrosse Case Ten Years Later

Pair Wrongly Convicted Of Raping Woman In Central Park To Be Freed

‪Rolling Stone to Pay $1.65 Million to Fraternity Over False Rape Accusation They Reported As True https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/business/media/rape-uva-rolling-stone-frat.html‬

Tawana Brawley starts paying man she falsely accused of rape

These are anecdotes; I was looking for statistics. Of course there are exceptions- but how common? Also, wrongful sexual assault convictions do not mean a crime did not occur, merely that the wrong person was convicted.

These are anecdotes; I was looking for statistics. Of course there are exceptions- but how common? Also, wrongful sexual assault convictions do not mean a crime did not occur, merely that the wrong person was convicted.
I don't have such statistics. Since I agree with you and I'm on your side, I'll leave it to someone who wants to argue that side to spend the time digging that up. I was called for jury duty recently and my only point was that I could imagine how tough it would be if you were asked to decide such a serious case if the evidence wasn't clear.

Most people do not commit sexual assault (thank goodness), so you are correct that if I pick a random dude off the street, odds are he is not a rapist (again, thank goodness). But that's not the question at issue. The question is how to handle accusations of sexual assault. My position is that there is strong motivation for victims NOT to come forward. Also, when someone claims that they have been sexually assaulted, odds are that person is telling the truth*. I'm not arguing for "guilty until proven innocent" I am arguing that the default should be to consider allegations to be credible and to investigate them appropriately. I'm claiming that historically this has not been our practice.

The systematic silencing of victims of sexual assault is a consequence of systematic misogyny, it is also a mechanism by which that system is maintained. If sexism is a conscious attitude of disdain towards one sex, then I would agree that this isn't necessarily a sexist thing. It's more subtle than that. People do not think "Women are stupid liars, therefore Dave Newman was innocent"**. However many, perhaps most, people do think "Good guys don't do this sort of thing. I think Dave Newman is a good guy. Therefore this woman must be lying" and then they analyze the accuser for reasons to discredit them. Instead of investigating the crime we first scrutinize the victim***. I did that very thing when this news broke.

Go back to the article linked in the first post of this thread, and go back to the initial discussion on this forum when this news first broke. You'll find that in both cases the prevailing attitude towards Aja Newman was one of incredulity, she just couldn't have been telling the truth. There MUST be some other explanation. That is the mistake that I am cautioning us against continuing to make.

*i.e.: false accusations are the exception, not the rule
**well, some probably do, but they're not on this forum for the most part. That is sexism - I'm talking about misogyny, a more subtle and pernicious problem
***what were you wearing? how much did you have to drink? how did you get to the party?

I disagree that there is a systemic dislike, contempt, prejudice or hatred of women empowering people like Newman. You would have likely seen the same degree of disbelief if the victim was a man and Dr. Newman was a woman. In fact, there might be more disbelief. In this case, multiple factors influenced the initial public response and a major one was that the initial accusation was far different than what was eventually determined to have happened (as previously stated by another poster). Another factor was the accusation strongly violated what many thought as physically possible given our individual experiences of pattern recognition (busy ED, stolen drugs, etc.) regardless of the sexes of the accuser or accused. Those have nothing to do with a systematic misogyny. I might agree that people were inclined to believe Newman because he was thought to be a good person, but him being “a guy” and the accuser being a women probably had very little to do with the initial response.

Instead, there are individual criminals like Newman who take advantage of our legal system’s burden of proof standards to commit their crimes. Most times it really is that simple and it’s not the society that needs changing.

Last edited:
Well it's all a moot point now for David Newman, he is enjoying the food in New Orleans, which I think we can all agree is quite good.

'Hello sir, I'm Dr. Newman, I'm your new neighbor, here's a copy of my very well reviewed book, also sometime you should watch my Tedx talk. Anyway I'll see you around. ohbythewayimasexoffender. Thank you!'

Wait, what? he's not in jail?

I disagree that there is a systemic dislike, contempt, prejudice or hatred of women empowering people like Newman. You would have likely seen the same degree of disbelief if the victim was a man and Dr. Newman was a woman. In fact, there might be more disbelief. In this case, multiple factors influenced the initial public response and a major one was that the initial accusation was far different than what was eventually determined to have happened (as previously stated by another poster). Another factor was the accusation strongly violated what many thought as physically possible given our individual experiences of pattern recognition (busy ED, stolen drugs, etc.) regardless of the sexes of the accuser or accused. Those have nothing to do with a systematic misogyny. I might agree that people were inclined to believe Newman because he was thought to be a good person, but him being “a guy” and the accuser being a women probably had very little to do with the initial response.

Instead, there are individual criminals like Newman who take advantage of our legal system’s burden of proof standards to commit their crimes. Most times it really is that simple and it’s not the society that needs changing.

No one needs to consciously hate or dislike women for a system of bias to be maintained. Bias is so pernicious because we can consciously oppose it while unwittingly enforcing it. And no, I'm not a post-modernist. That said, I also don't think that the SDM EM forum is where I want to lay out the argument. I'll instead ask you this:

How do you reconcile your claim with the fact that prior, less zany, accusations (groping the breast of a woman with URI symptoms) were not taken seriously?

I do agree that the specifics of the Aja Newman case made it more difficult to believe. But David Newman had to work up to that. The thing from the story that indicts the system is less the Aja Newman case, rather the way that things were handled before that.

How do you reconcile your claim with the fact that prior, less zany, accusations (groping the breast of a woman with URI symptoms) were not taken seriously?

Are we sure that it is a fact that those claims were not taken seriously? My understanding of the timeline, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, is those claims were made after Aja Newman’s and were taken seriously.

Honestly, I suspect that the position of respect and authority that physicians occupy (for now) is a big reason why predators like Newman are believed over their victims until overwhelming evidence is presented. It’s a similar dynamic between female teachers who molest their male students.

Last edited:
Are we sure that it is a fact that those claims were not taken seriously? My understanding of the timeline, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, is those claims were made after Aja Newman’s and were taken seriously.

That was the guy, she said, who had grabbed her breast when she went to the ED with a cold four months earlier, on September 22. At the time, the young woman described the encounter in group therapy: how she’d sat in the ER feeling extremely uncomfortable while a blond physician she recalled as “Dr. David” touched her breasts. She was freaked out, she said at the time, because he was a doctor and she was a young woman of color with a history of sexual abuse, and she kind of left her body for a moment and started counting tiles on the wall. On October 7, her social worker emailed Mount Sinai to report the complaint, then followed up by both email and phone, but “there is no documentation of these events,” according to the report from the Department of Health and Human Services, and “the allegation was not investigated at the time of the occurrence.”

Yes, I recall that portion and found it very curious. However, I took it to mean that the HHS investigators could find no evidence that the complaint was actually raised (i.e. no time stamped sent email to HR, no name of the recipient at HR, etc.). The passage seemed to leave important details unanswered as to the hospital’s culpability in enabling Dr. Newman. However, I’ll certainly yield the point if you are sure that a male member of the Mt. Sinai administration intercepted the complaint, suppressed it, and erased all record of it to protect Newman. I wouldn’t put it past them based on what is alleged in this lawsuit:

Hey one the lighter side, my wife was one of many women who initially thought the complaint against Newman sounded whacky. Last I checked, she never believe Dr. Blasey Ford. Granted, she is a bit of a right-winger, but does that mean that I’m married to a misogynist? ;)

Yes, I recall that portion and found it very curious. However, I took it to mean that the HHS investigators could find no evidence that the complaint was actually raised (i.e. no time stamped sent email to HR, no name of the recipient at HR, etc.). The passage seemed to leave important details unanswered as to the hospital’s culpability in enabling Dr. Newman. However, I’ll certainly yield the point if you are sure that a male member of the Mt. Sinai administration intercepted the complaint, suppressed it, and erased all record of it to protect Newman. I wouldn’t put it past them based on what is alleged in this lawsuit:

Hey one the lighter side, my wife was one of many women who initially thought the complaint against Newman sounded whacky. Last I checked, she never believe Dr. Blasey Ford. Granted, she is a bit of a right-winger, but does that mean that I’m married to a misogynist? ;)
Possibly. Many women have been so abused that they identify with their oppressors. Not uncommon.

• Wow
Why wouldn't they still have his segments up? All the NNT stuff, the chest pain paper with Weingart and Weinstock, etc was all good stuff. I mean, everyone still reads the Dubin ECG book, right?
Yeah, I think I posted here about how unbelievable the story was when it first broke. It is enlightening to look back at my reaction and to see how quick I was to discount the accusation. :smack:

Did EM RAP ever make a statement on this? Should they? He had a pretty big presence there until this happened & it looks like they still have his segments up.

Why wouldn't they still have his segments up? All the NNT stuff, the chest pain paper with Weingart and Weinstock, etc was all good stuff. I mean, everyone still reads the Dubin ECG book, right?
I actually don’t use or recommend that book to people I’ve tutored. It’s a decent book but by no means the best book available. And the dude is a dirt bag. I don’t begrudge people who use it, but for me, if I can find an equivalent product that doesn’t directly benefit a child molester I’ll go that route every time.
but I agree that EMRAP doesn’t need to go tearing everything down.

I actually don’t use or recommend that book to people I’ve tutored. It’s a decent book but by no means the best book available. And the dude is a dirt bag. I don’t begrudge people who use it, but for me, if I can find an equivalent product that doesn’t directly benefit a child molester I’ll go that route every time.
but I agree that EMRAP doesn’t need to go tearing everything down.
AGree w/ preferring other EKG books to Dubin. Though listening to emrap doesn’t benefit Newman financially, buying Dubin does benefit him financially, I believe.

The thing about Dubin’s book was that he did a really good job of simplifying complex concepts, was really helpful for me to understand ekgs, particularly in med school when you know squat about anything. Other ekg books might give you more information, but assume you already know the basics. If anyone can point out a better ekg book for rank beginners, I’m all ears....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about Dubin’s book was that he did a really good job of simplifying complex concepts, was really helpful for me to understand ekgs, particularly in med school when you know squat about anything. Other ekg books might give you more information, but assume you already know the basics. If anyone can point out a better ekg book for rank beginners, I’m all ears....

“The only EKG Book You’ll Ever Need” worked much better for me than Dubin.