Dating Nurses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While the main finding was statistically significant in that study, the effect size is stupidly small.
True dat. But at least it's real data.

The study quoted in the Slate piece though is basically a statistical model of number of mutations seen based on paternal age. The link to autism and schizophrenia is hypothetical.

Members don't see this ad.

i wud consider myself really unlucky to b d wife or gf etc f such ppl

Reactions: 1 user
i wud consider myself really unlucky to b d wife or gf etc f such ppl

Good first post.

How is it that all of the multisyllabic words are spelled correctly, yet the shorter words are either needlessly abbreviated or spelled wrong?

Reactions: 2 users
If you are lookking for a little bit of fun...then I would avoid nurses. Don't date the nurse...date her friend. Become friends with the nurses...and your circle widens significantly.

However if you want to settle down...I would say go for a nurse over another med student/resident. I say this married to a resident. But my wife is special and unique in that she is a rare medical female who is NOT Type-A and very willing to put more work into the family than her career. Again...this is RARE.

You are far more likely in finding a nurse who is NOT Type-A and career-centric. Many of them also at least subconsciously are trying to settle down with a doctor and willing to give up their career to do it. Of course...don't pick the crazy one...but there are definitely nurses out there who aren't crazy and great women.

The divorce rate between physicians is over 90%. And there is a good reason...not enough time and screwed up priorities. You can make it work but it takes a significant amount of sacrifice and that is typically something that career driven medical types have a problem with.

Last edited:
http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine.com/issue/2006/03_15/3_physicians_life02_05.html

I'm not sure where you heard that physician-physician divorce rates are high. They're actually dramatically lower than both the profession's average and the national average. One study actually showed an 11% divorce rate for physician-physician marriages (source above).

Other fun facts: male physicians actually only have a divorce rate equally to the national average, unless they're surgeons (higher) or psychiatrists (dramatically higher). Female physicians, on the other hand, have a much higher than average divorce rate unless they marry a doctor. According to some studies, a female physician who marries a doctor increases her marriages chances of lasting by 600% vs marrying a non doctor!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Good first post.

How is it that all of the multisyllabic words are spelled correctly, yet the shorter words are either needlessly abbreviated or spelled wrong?
subconscious mind ..I pay more attention to long term settlements like marriage than shrt trm flrtng . this s the desi mentality

subconscious mind ..I pay more attention to long term settlements like marriage than shrt trm flrtng . this s the desi mentality
He's not asking you your opinion about long-term relationships versus flirting.

He's requesting that you spell all of your words out instead of abbreviating them. The use of such abbreviations or "text speak" are not common in the United States on professional forums such as this.

Reactions: 1 users
Common practice outside of our country to use what we would consider text speak or needless abbreviations.

Ah, gotcha.
It's tough to differentiate cultural idiosyncracies from internet laziness.

I don't mind abbreviations and whatnot, but when I have to pause and work through someone's sentence just to figure out what word they are intending to use, it's often more trouble than it's worth.

I try not to be too harsh on "your vs you're" or "its vs it's" because once in a while my fingers go and type the wrong one as well. But "m n ur base, killin ur d00dz" is just a little much for me.

Ah, gotcha.
It's tough to differentiate cultural idiosyncracies from internet laziness.

I don't mind abbreviations and whatnot, but when I have to pause and work through someone's sentence just to figure out what word they are intending to use, it's often more trouble than it's worth.

I try not to be too harsh on "your vs you're" or "its vs it's" because once in a while my fingers go and type the wrong one as well. But "m n ur base, killin ur d00dz" is just a little much for me.
ok , ( and I thought that the US is origin of all abbreviations like the above ) but lets not change the topic . Guys , u have so much work to do , so little me time , why spoil time after a silly affair which will not even mature , which can be a source of future distress , for the and from the person you really love like your spouse and kids . Life is too short for bad worries and unnecessary vasectomies . And ... if someone thinks that flirting is part of me time , please , inform beforehand , because someone may get hurt . everyone is not that unemotional . there were 3 suicides in our college , for such reasons , this year . maybe we are a bit more sensitive .

ok , ( and I thought that the US is origin of all abbreviations like the above ) but lets not change the topic . Guys , u have so much work to do , so little me time , why spoil time after a silly affair which will not even mature , which can be a source of future distress , for the and from the person you really love like your spouse and kids . Life is too short for bad worries and unnecessary vasectomies . And ... if someone thinks that flirting is part of me time , please , inform beforehand , because someone may get hurt . everyone is not that unemotional . there were 3 suicides in our college , for such reasons , this year . maybe we are a bit more sensitive .
o_O

What? Troll.

Maybe because I love women and a nice looking bum in scrubs is a worthy distraction--the maturation of which is my junk gloriously up in that ****-- from the monotony of writing notes for 80 hours a week.

Dating at work might be dangerous. But wtf is a single resident supposed to do. Wander to a bar in scrubs and fall asleep while drinking a beer trying to keep up with slickly clad civilians.

Take the shot if it's there. There'll always be consequences to doing anything. And not doing anything.

What? Troll.

Maybe because I love women and a nice looking bum in scrubs is a worthy distraction--the maturation of which is my junk gloriously up in that ****-- from the monotony of writing notes for 80 hours a week.

Dating at work might be dangerous. But wtf is a single resident supposed to do. Wander to a bar in scrubs and fall asleep while drinking a beer trying to keep up with slickly clad civilians.

Take the shot if it's there. There'll always be consequences to doing anything. And not doing anything.
goodness !i m getting a culture shock right in this forum , god knows what hell befalls those who head to the US . let me ask do you ever get a heartache when there is breakup ? btw i have been reading the posts here for a while , i seem to agree on almost everything said . esspecially the quote under Dermviser . i wanna add ... boom ! the img who leaves her dearest poor third world country that even supports its medical students with almost full scholarships to earn more dollars is also born in the very same manner . and they get paid for this sin in terms of culture shock . serves them right !

maybe its your written English that is confusing….i have no idea what you are trying to say….but i don't think the question is about a married resident dating a nurse,as you seem to allude to in a previous post, but a single person...

a
What? Troll.

i will cheat on my bf if he cheats me . taking revenge is right . make sure if an NRI is a virgin before dating , make sure he has not got HIV , or gf s , etc . If he had ex gf s I l have as many one night stands before dating him . after that i will use up all his money for gucci , forever new ,sabyasachi etc . then i will not feel cheated . that is the only way out of heartache ! for now i will settle for marriage and commitment . mess with me revenge will ensue , yeah!
cheat your nation , cheat your woman .....hell will befall you

maybe its your written English that is confusing….i have no idea what you are trying to say….but i don't think the question is about a married resident dating a nurse,as you seem to allude to in a previous post, but a single person...
those who are changing gf s every fortnight , remain single throughout their life . they die in dingy nursing homes with 20 catheters up their veins , ryles tube and holter monitors around . but not a single loved one near them . serves them well

OF COURSE I HAVE NO grudge against single resident who is dating and hoping for a rewarding , long lasting relationship . even if it doesnt work no problem . if someone is only looking for s*x then prostitution is ledgal in US , go there , dating is not for you .

Last edited:
those who are changing gf s every fortnight , remain single throughout their life . they die in dingy nursing homes with 20 catheters up their veins , ryles tube and holter monitors around . but not a single loved one near them . serves them well

OF COURSE I HAVE NO grudge against single resident who is dating and hoping for a rewarding , long lasting relationship . even if it doesnt work no problem . if someone is only looking for s*x then prostitution is ledgal in US , go there , dating is not for you .

Are you in the right thread?

i can read and write English but i cant read your minds . this thread is full of advises like ..." do as much damage as possible" , "go for it , date a nurse and then befriend her friends then flirt with her friends" and such stuff . look at some earlier posts , you will get what i wanna say .
know what ? in any conversation , each participant has some drift of what the other is gonna say . this is the first time in life i m getting the most unexpected reactions .
may be you too are feeling like that .
one last try ..........
if a guy dated me , befriended my friends , go to a party , dated one of my friends , then after a month or two left for another state . then find a spouse there .... it IS sad ...for me . a SINGLE man dating serially and heartlessly IS a ******
if it still does not make any sense to you . phew !
maybe you all date casually . its only a meeting .

understand ? anyone ? :blackeye::blackeye:

i will go insane if i land up in the USA . :confused:

Last edited:
ok , ( and I thought that the US is origin of all abbreviations like the above )

The US may use "text speak" and abbreviations but that is the realm of teenagers and not accepted on a professional forum.

Please use full words and appropriate punctuation when posting on SDN to reduce confusion.
if someone is only looking for s*x then prostitution is ledgal in US , go there , dating is not for you .

We *are* in the US: I'm not sure who you are instructing to "go there". Prostitution is not "legal in the US"; it is legal only in some counties in the single state of Nevada and only within regulated brothels.

if a guy dated me , befriended my friends , go to a party , dated one of my friends , then after a month or two left for another state . then find a spouse there .... it IS sad ...for me . a SINGLE man dating serially and heartlessly IS a ******
if it still does not make any sense to you . phew !

In mainstream US culture, serial dating is accepted before marriage or other commitment, as long as each party is aware of the expectations of the other. While it may not feel good when someone dates you and then marries someone else shortly thereafter, there is nothing wrong with it. Casual dating is, by definition, without commitment and clearly the man you describe was not ready/interested in getting married until he met someone else.

The US may use "text speak" and abbreviations but that is the realm of teenagers and not accepted on a professional forum.

Please use full words and appropriate punctuation when posting on SDN to reduce confusion.

We *are* in the US: I'm not sure who you are instructing to "go there". Prostitution is not "legal in the US"; it is legal only in some counties in the single state of Nevada and only within regulated brothels.

In mainstream US culture, serial dating is accepted before marriage or other commitment, as long as each party is aware of the expectations of the other. While it may not feel good when someone dates you and then marries someone else shortly thereafter, there is nothing wrong with it. Casual dating is, by definition, without commitment and clearly the man you describe was not ready/interested in getting married until he met someone else.

that's sweet WS…you're still treating her as if she was a real poster...

make sure if an NRI is a virgin before dating , make sure he has not got HIV , or gf s , etc .
What's the best initial test? What is the most accurate test? You could stand to make a lot of money if you developed ways to "make sure" of these things.

[/ QUOTE ]In mainstream US culture, serial dating is accepted before marriage or other commitment, as long as each party is aware of the expectations of the other. While it may not feel good when someone dates you and then marries someone else shortly thereafter, there is nothing wrong with it. Casual dating is, by definition, without commitment and clearly the man you describe was not ready/interested in getting married until he met someone else.[/QUOTE]
:(:(:hurting::hurting::cryi::cryi:

What's the best initial test? What is the most accurate test? You could stand to make a lot of money if you developed ways to "make sure" of these things.
hehe, ok lets see, hmm just ask initially , hack his account , HPV culture most specific not sensitive blah blah .

speaking ill about nri s is washing my own dirty linen in public . hail them for what good academics they make . stupid me !

speaking ill about nri s is washing my own dirty linen in public . hail them for what good academics they make . stupid me !

@Winged Scapula NRI- Non resident Indian (i.e. Indian origin person who is a citizen or permanent resident of another country)

Hi, I just read the above few posts. I am confused:

1. Are you a a resident Indian or a non resident Indian? (you said that you would go insane if you came to the US, which means that you're most likely a resident Indian)

2. If you're not a non resident Indian, how can you be washing your own dirty linen in public when you speak against them? How closely have you observed NRI's to speak for or against them? If you're a non resident Indian, how closely have youy seen India?

3. Why should NRI's be checked for HIV etc. Why not other people? What is special about NRI's?

3. Do you plan to come to the US in the near future? If yes, then I recommend that you must visit the US first, look at the social structure here and then make up your mind if you really want to come. The culture in the US is very different from back in India. But that doesn't really make it good or bad in comparison. If you decide to come here, you should be prepared to adjust to the system here rather than to try to change it to your version of the Indian culture. That is not going to happen. And nobody is really forcing us to go out of India.

4. The values that you speak of, not playing with people's feeling, trying to have long term relationships, etc are something I agree with you at some level. But these are your personal choice or opinions. Is it right to impose these on other people. Being an Indian citizen myself, having done medical school in India, and having lived in India for 25 out of 26 years of my life, I can safely say that the "values" you speak off are way off the mark for any large Indian city ( I will not comment with certainty on the smaller towns, but my guess is that it is not very common even there). Don't people in India date? Don't resident desi's have girlfriend's/boyfriend's? Are all Indian's virgin at the time of marriage? What India are you speaking about? I haven't encountered this India and I have stayed in 9 different Indian cities.

5. Which brings me to the last question. Why did you bring this to a totally unrelated forum? The post had nothing to do with India, or NRI's. How did you manage to bring these into the picture.

I couldn't understand you coherently, so I have based this on whatever little I have been able to make form your comments. I seem to get the idea that you're a med student or med graduate from India, probably planning to come to the US. It would be nice to have 1 post from you where you write down exactly what are you trying to state through your posts.

Last edited:
I'm fluent in gibberish. :p

jive-talk-o.gif

Are you sure? She already tried that a few times.

I am sorry, but I couldn't make out what her point behind these posts. They seemed random and unrelated rants. However, I think you're right and putting the request was foolish.

http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine.com/issue/2006/03_15/3_physicians_life02_05.html

I'm not sure where you heard that physician-physician divorce rates are high. They're actually dramatically lower than both the profession's average and the national average. One study actually showed an 11% divorce rate for physician-physician marriages (source above).

Other fun facts: male physicians actually only have a divorce rate equally to the national average, unless they're surgeons (higher) or psychiatrists (dramatically higher). Female physicians, on the other hand, have a much higher than average divorce rate unless they marry a doctor. According to some studies, a female physician who marries a doctor increases her marriages chances of lasting by 600% vs marrying a non doctor!

Thank you for that article. Pretty enlightening. It makes sense on the part of women though. Most men are going to have a problem with their wife making more than them...and most will be insecure about the lack in comparible prestige. Medical women are definitely in a tough spot. Most wait until at least residency to settle down and by then most guys (who are not also professionals) are already taken...or going through their 2nd try at marriage. It would probably make the most sense for a female physician to marry a physician.

I still don't think that two physicians marrying is ideal...especially for the children of the couple.

dating is rampant in india , serial dating is taboo , living together is common in some parts like bangalore and mumbai , but not all over india ,. most people are virgins before marriage , especially those belonging to the middle class , academically inclined families . most of my relatives are NRI s in academic jobs . If it is an arranged marriage , high chances that he will be an NRI . arranged marriages is the norm , while love marriages are increasing . love marriages are not taboo anymore . Some of my relatives , they belong to the generation of my grandfather , they went to England one of them, married to some baroness and never came back . Nobody wants to marry an American , british etc we want to marry within our own culture . Given the high incidence of NRI s in my family , I thought i know much about their style of dating , marriage , live togethers , unisex hostels etc . I m proven wrong though , this concept of serial dating came as a complete shock . in fact , as i stumbled upon this thread , I thought a bunch of antisocial elements were making comments like "do as much damage " just for fun . I tried to correct them .
who am i to change the American Culture ?
I really appreciate the style of medical education in America . THis forum too has helped me a lot . I may come for further education . I will definitely NOT practice in the US . Why on earth should I leave the 2nd most populous nation to find patients in the US ? you may say Money . Let me tell you , no matter how much we try to hide it , everyone is racist . Why should an American come to an img for his or her health care leaving behind an amg ? How will the common man know who is a better doctor ? answer is : definitely not an img . Whereas an American stamp will fetch me a lot of patients here in India . Plus my country needs me . There are obvious doctor_repellants in India like lack of govt funds for research , reservation system (THE major repellant) . Everyone has struggles in life . Getting a chance in a well ranked Govt aided college , amidst the most adverse of situations means the resrvation system cannot affect me .
Different cultures have different things as Taboos . Transparency is important . each party should be clear and honest about what he/she is expecting .

I m sorry , i did not intend to change the topic of this thread at all .

dating is rampant in india , serial dating is taboo , living together is common in some parts like bangalore and mumbai , but not all over india ,. most people are virgins before marriage , especially those belonging to the middle class , academically inclined families . most of my relatives are NRI s in academic jobs . If it is an arranged marriage , high chances that he will be an NRI . arranged marriages is the norm , while love marriages are increasing . love marriages are not taboo anymore . Some of my relatives , they belong to the generation of my grandfather , they went to England one of them, married to some baroness and never came back . Nobody wants to marry an American , british etc we want to marry within our own culture . Given the high incidence of NRI s in my family , I thought i know much about their style of dating , marriage , live togethers , unisex hostels etc . I m proven wrong though , this concept of serial dating came as a complete shock . in fact , as i stumbled upon this thread , I thought a bunch of antisocial elements were making comments like "do as much damage " just for fun . I tried to correct them .
who am i to change the American Culture ?
I really appreciate the style of medical education in America . THis forum too has helped me a lot . I may come for further education . I will definitely NOT practice in the US . Why on earth should I leave the 2nd most populous nation to find patients in the US ? you may say Money . Let me tell you , no matter how much we try to hide it , everyone is racist . Why should an American come to an img for his or her health care leaving behind an amg ? How will the common man know who is a better doctor ? answer is : definitely not an img . Whereas an American stamp will fetch me a lot of patients here in India . Plus my country needs me . There are obvious doctor_repellants in India like lack of govt funds for research , reservation system (THE major repellant) . Everyone has struggles in life . Getting a chance in a well ranked Govt aided college , amidst the most adverse of situations means the resrvation system cannot affect me .
Different cultures have different things as Taboos . Transparency is important . each party should be clear and honest about what he/she is expecting .

I m sorry , i did not intend to change the topic of this thread at all .

you are not of here so please do not presume to think you know how Americans think about about the medical care in the US…and who we think are good doctors or bad doctors…

and i am generally not one to say that those to say that the US should train its own citizens first…but attitudes like yours certainly give credence to those who think that way.

1) How do you know this?
2) Where are these counties for future reference?

;)