Dating in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your response.

The problem is that our UG is in southern WV, she's from central Virginia, and I'm going to school in Morgantown (northern WV). Any way we cut it, we're going to be a good distance away from each other.

She said she's not applying to medical school right out of the gate. Her grades weren't that hot in undergrad and she said that it would be a waste of what little money she has available. She's going to try to go to either a biomedical sciences program or a graduate program, but most likely it will be in Virginia due to in-state tuition prices. She did tell me, however, that when she applies to medical school, if I'm still at WVU that she will apply there. I told her that was all I could ask from her, and I don't want her to make a decision on school based on me. I'm in the school of, "look out for yourself first, worry about other people second," when it comes to life changing decisions. After all, our relationship might not work out, or I might not even be here tomorrow.

I don't see myself as jealous, I see myself as worrisome that she'll encounter some hardship that she'll need me for during my 4 years, and I won't be able to spend adequate time with her. I'm also afraid that she'll be incredibly lonely, as both of her roommates have boyfriends and she'll see them together on a daily basis. It's not that I don't think that I can take it, as I'll be quite busy and won't have time to worry about it, it's that I'm afraid that she won't be able to take it. I don't think that's fair to her.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on my relationship situation. Obviously I'm going to make my own decision, but I was curious to know what everyone who has been in medical school for a while thinks.

Here's the situation:

I've been dating my GF since Christmas of 2008. We met in UG. She has one more semester to go, and wants to go to professional school in Virginia, but I'm going to WVU medical in the fall. She seems to think that we'll be together for 4 years during a long distance relationship while I'm in medical school. I'm not too sure of it, but am willing to give it my best shot. However, I'm not sure that I want to be worried about her/what she's doing while I'm 200 miles away in medical school.

From my experience of hearing about other people's relationships the vast majority of long distance relationships have been failures...actually all of them. Thats why I avoid them. Also, medical school is exceedingly difficult and requires a lot of your time. Unless you dont have much ambition as a physician.

Also, you havn't been in that long of a relationship....christmas 2008 is less than a year. You guys are barely in it together and all of a sudden will be doing the long distance thing while pursuing very time consuming/challenging schooling. Its going to be a tough slogging.

also, by any chance is this your first or one of few relationships? (no offense). I'm just wondering because you seem concerned about someone who you only know for a few months.

I generally don't put much stock in a relationship in the early days...I just enjoy the time I have with whomever and see how things go without putting to much emotional investment. You learn that over time, especially when you've dated/been with enough girls...its just not worth all that initial investment.

If I were you, I would concern myself with my life only. Medical school is a big deal, not just getting in but how you end up doing. If you get a call 5 months down the road with big tests looming about how she wants to end this for bla bla bla reason how do you think you'll take it? Would you just move on? Thats tough for anyone and it wouldnt be worth your time. I would just think about it for a little while, enjoy my time while it lasts with her and meet other people once I start medical school. Keep your options open, meet a few girls who you like and think you wouldnt mind dating. And see how the relationship with your gf goes. if it tanks at least you can move on quickly without the whole "aww I feel ****ty" phase lasting too long.

Personally I'd just call it quits a month before you guys split or at least let her know you want to have fun while you two are together and then decide before you guys split what you want to do(which is breakup). That second part is what I'd do...but its a d1ck move and I dont know how much you really feel for her....

Members don't see this ad :)
also, by any chance is this your first or one of few relationships? (no offense). I'm just wondering because you seem concerned about someone who you only know for a few months.

I've been in a few serious relationships and the part that you eluded to later is exactly my concern. I don't want to be bothered for even a day if she decides to end it midway through the first semester. I'm just assuming the worst and hoping for the best. Maybe that will help if it happens. Kinda like having a terminally ill relative. You know they're going to die, and it still sucks when it happens, but you expected it, so it doesn't bother you nearly as bad as it could have.

I've known her since sophomore year in undergrad. I went to a very small UG school, so everyone knows everyone else. She's a great girl (even if you neglect looks ;) ), or I wouldn't even care.

I generally don't put much stock in a relationship in the early days...I just enjoy the time I have with whomever and see how things go without putting to much emotional investment. You learn that over time, especially when you've dated/been with enough girls...its just not worth all that initial investment.

7 months is the early days? Geeze...How long does it take for you to consider it a "real relationship?"

If I were you, I would concern myself with my life only.

Very few people are as self-centered as I am :D If it comes down to it, and it's a problem, I'll end it without second thought. I've worked too hard to get this far to let some chick screw it up for the next 4 years.

Medical school is a big deal, not just getting in but how you end up doing. If you get a call 5 months down the road with big tests looming about how she wants to end this for bla bla bla reason how do you think you'll take it? Would you just move on? Thats tough for anyone and it wouldnt be worth your time. I would just think about it for a little while, enjoy my time while it lasts with her and meet other people once I start medical school. Keep your options open, meet a few girls who you like and think you wouldnt mind dating. And see how the relationship with your gf goes. if it tanks at least you can move on quickly without the whole "aww I feel ****ty" phase lasting too long.

Exaaaactly what I'm worried about. I don't know how I'd react, but, as I mentioned earlier, I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best, so maybe that will help. It's on the back burner as of now.

The latter part of this paragraph is what I'm planning on doing.

Personally I'd just call it quits a month before you guys split or at least let her know you want to have fun while you two are together and then decide before you guys split what you want to do(which is breakup). That second part is what I'd do...but its a d1ck move and I dont know how much you really feel for her....

Well, we haven't been at UG since May 15th, but we've seen each other once per month since then.

I have a few problems:

1.) I really like her, a lot. 2.) As of now, I'm planning on a surgery residency, but I don't know what subspecialty I am interested in. 2a.) I don't think she understands how much work will be involved. She's floated through undergrad. 3.) I don't know when/if/where she'll get into medical school. 4.) Life - Who knows WTF will happen?

Thank you for your post. I'm still debating ending it about a week before I go to orientation, but I know it will crush her.

What do you have to lose?

But seriously, any relationship where you wouldn't be bothered for "even a day" if it ended doesn't sound like a relationship worth having in the first place, long distance or not. If you do try it, why not just put the time and effort into it, since anything less will just doom it from the start anyhow.

Relationships end at the same rate regardless of distance, but distance just gets blamed more.

What do you have to lose?

But seriously, any relationship where you wouldn't be bothered for "even a day" if it ended doesn't sound like a relationship worth having in the first place, long distance or not. If you do try it, why not just put the time and effort into it, since anything less will just doom it from the start anyhow.

Relationships end at the same rate regardless of distance, but distance just gets blamed more.

Thats a really wrong attitude to have. I hate how people have this ridiculously romantic interest in relationships. Its your life. Never ever get caught up with a significant other post relationship. Its just not worth it. Chances are, and ironically, it will only drive her away if you keep pursuing/communicating/bothering her/him over it. And to keep it in emotionally or to think about it for long only holds you back from other great people out there. It also keeps you down and possibly depressed for a time. Why feel miserable after its over? Life is too short for that.

There are so many stupid movies about guys getting hung up over a girl that it seems like an ok thing to do. (there's something over mary, swingers, forgetting sarah marshall, and on and no) its ******ed.
The only time its worth pursuing someone post break up is if htere was a serious misunderstanding between the two and then trying to figure it out/fix it.

Life isn't cut and dry. I don't even really believe in love at first sight...its just so silly. But women love it. what can i say.

I disagree...relationships end almost always due to long distance...and many a time people who are closer have relationships that last, and most definately a lot longer.

TCO, for me a relationship is worth pursuing handling if I've been with her for 3 years and I really feel like I could see myself with her permanently. Otherwise, why would I bother iwth her for 3 years already? I'm just not a fan of serious relationships and long term dating in general unless you've seen some1 who's just that great(after many many girls, and I say this because when you're inexperienced its like every girl you come across is just that amaizng-we've been there).

Anything less than 2/3+ years and I feel like its not worth the trouble of a long distance relationship. You'll always find someone to get along with. thats the attitude I take even when i go through long stretches of not dating and have only casual hookups or sometimes not even that.

TCO, for me a relationship is worth pursuing handling if I've been with her for 3 years and I really feel like I could see myself with her permanently. Otherwise, why would I bother iwth her for 3 years already? I'm just not a fan of serious relationships and long term dating in general unless you've seen some1 who's just that great(after many many girls, and I say this because when you're inexperienced its like every girl you come across is just that amaizng-we've been there).

Anything less than 2/3+ years and I feel like its not worth the trouble of a long distance relationship. You'll always find someone to get along with. thats the attitude I take even when i go through long stretches of not dating and have only casual hookups or sometimes not even that.

Either you're really jaded or... Actually, there is no or. You just sound really really jaded. And that attitude is not attractive to women, let me tell you.

You know, I'm definitely not one of those people who think there's "One" person out there meant for them. Nor am I one to believe in love at first sight. But that said, I think it's natural to develop strong feelings for someone within a few months. My parents got married after 3 months of knowing each other.

Granted, they are of a different generation with different values and expectations. Nowadays, I feel like a lot of people are such commitment phobes. People like to cohabit for 5, 6, 7+ years, or even stay engaged for that long, without marrying. (I have nothing against those who don't believe in marriage or don't want to get married, btw.) But a lot of these people in these relationships claim to WANT to get married... but they don't.

IMO, it doesn't take THAT long to figure out if someone is compatible with you or not. (Anyway, many of the good relationships I've known, the people involved have gotten close pretty quickly, progressing from dating to being exclusive (and sometimes to engagement/marriage). Conversely, a lot of the "tumultuous" relationships I've noticed, the people tend to have been dating for yrs and yrs... Usually one person wants the relationship to go deeper, but the other doesn't. Yet that person still hangs on to the relationship and doesn't want to dump the person, for fear of loneliness.)

-----------

Similarly, TCO, the whole attitude of "I'm not going to let some chick get in the way of med school" is not one that will endear you to many ladies. I'm sure you'd never tell HER that ;). I mean, I can understand prioritising med school over relationships. Nothing wrong with that. That's a personal choice. But to go to the extent of "I'm looking out for Numero Ono, no question. If it comes down to me or the girl, I pick me"... well, man, that just sounds :barf:

If I were her, I'd dump you just for that attitude. I don't need to be the center of my sig other's life. But I do think some basic level of selfless caring is essential to a real relationship.

Which is not to say that you SHOULD sacrifice to be with this girl. The point is, if you don't FEEL like looking out for HER well-being (even at the expense of your own), she probably isn't the right girl for you.

To me, how you can tell you are in love with somebody is when you want what's best for that person even at the expense of your own self-interest. And if it's not real love with this girl, then it's not worth it. If it's worth it and it's real love, then you'd know, because you wouldn't be saying stuff like "I don't want to waste a single day being sad if it doesn't work out" or "I'm always looking out for myself, first and foremost."

Ok, that was a little wordy. I need to learn to be more concise :laugh:. But you know what I mean, hopefully.

Thats a really wrong attitude to have. I hate how people have this ridiculously romantic interest in relationships. Its your life. Never ever get caught up with a significant other post relationship. Its just not worth it. Chances are, and ironically, it will only drive her away if you keep pursuing/communicating/bothering her/him over it. And to keep it in emotionally or to think about it for long only holds you back from other great people out there. It also keeps you down and possibly depressed for a time. Why feel miserable after its over? Life is too short for that.

There are so many stupid movies about guys getting hung up over a girl that it seems like an ok thing to do. (there's something over mary, swingers, forgetting sarah marshall, and on and no) its ******ed.
The only time its worth pursuing someone post break up is if htere was a serious misunderstanding between the two and then trying to figure it out/fix it.

Life isn't cut and dry. I don't even really believe in love at first sight...its just so silly. But women love it. what can i say.

I disagree...relationships end almost always due to long distance...and many a time people who are closer have relationships that last, and most definately a lot longer.

Obviously getting caught up on a breakup or the inability to move on in and of itself is not a good thing, that wasn't my point. It just seems logical that the more important relationships, the ones worth keeping around, take longer to get over. Of course you SHOULDNT dwell on it as it serves no purpose, but that's a different matter.

Like you said, for you it takes a 3+ year prior relationship to be worth commiting to a long distance one. Would you get over that 3+ year relationship ending in one day? The fact that you probably wouldn't is the reason you'd want to pursue that relationship long distance anyway, and if that's not true, then kudos to your emotional control.

http://www.longdistancerelationships.net/faqs.htm#FAQs Do LDRs work

Do LDRs work?

Despite what many people believe, LDRs do not break up at any greater rate than more traditional, geographically close, couples. Multiple studies comparing LDRs to geographically close couples find the same rates of breaking up over time.

Rates of Break-up for LDRs Versus Proximal (Close) Relationships (PR) from 5 Studies

30% PR and 27% LDR over 6 months

21% PR vs 37% LDR over 3 months*

35% PR vs. 42% LDR over 6 months*

23% PR vs 11% LDR over 6 months

25% PR vs. 8% LDR over 1 year

*Not a statistically significant difference (i.e., rates are statistically equal)

TCO, I would be a bit wary about your relationship's future. It sounds like you guys will be in totally different situations with different pressures. "She floated through undergrad" seems to starkly contrast you, who sounds very ambitious and is going for a surgical residency. You may be unable to understand each other's situations. She may whine about how hard her one biochem class and that may just annoy you (you who are dealing with biochem + 5 other harder classes). Then she'll be upset that you aren't being understanding how stressed she is...and so on and so forth. I've seen it happen and it's kind of happened to me. I was dating a guy in LA (I go to school in the midwest), who pretty much partied everyday with his buddies, was an ins. salesperson, lived with his parents, and had a ball with his life. It was stark contrast to the hell I was going through and I became really bitter. If you can control your bitterness and be that self-actualized person that I am so not haha, then that's great. If not, then watch out.

I'm usually very happy with my bf now who is in med school the same year as me. We understand each other's stress pretty well (though he is more gifted with learning all the hard sciences quickly). Not saying you should date someone in med school. You can't always pick who you fall in love with. I would be in love with him regardless of him being in med school or not but it has definitely helped being in school together, having the same drive, ambition, goals, and amount of free time (essentially zero during second year!)

Advice for dating in medschool: would you date this person even if they weren't in med school? really try to strip that person down to their core personality and is that someone you really want to be with? If yes, then hooray! Many of the relationships that fizzled out within med school were people who were just caught up in the excitement of dating someone conveniently there.

Nmind my post... decided it was too personal.

Similarly, TCO, the whole attitude of "I'm not going to let some chick get in the way of med school" is not one that will endear you to many ladies. I'm sure you'd never tell HER that ;). I mean, I can understand prioritising med school over relationships. Nothing wrong with that. That's a personal choice. But to go to the extent of "I'm looking out for Numero Ono, no question. If it comes down to me or the girl, I pick me"... well, man, that just sounds :barf:

If I were her, I'd dump you just for that attitude. I don't need to be the center of my sig other's life. But I do think some basic level of selfless caring is essential to a real relationship.

I hope I am just completely missing what you're saying. By selfless caring, you mean worrying about your needs above the needs of your significant other? It sounds like you're saying that it's okay for me to think that my needs are greater than hers, as long as I don't put it out in text or say it. Isn't that...Oh...What's it called...Lying?

Which is not to say that you SHOULD sacrifice to be with this girl. The point is, if you don't FEEL like looking out for HER well-being (even at the expense of your own), she probably isn't the right girl for you.

Huh? So, I don't have to actually sacrifice, I just have to feel like I could sacrifice if I had to. This post is reeking with the stench of female.

To me, how you can tell you are in love with somebody is when you want what's best for that person even at the expense of your own self-interest. And if it's not real love with this girl, then it's not worth it. If it's worth it and it's real love, then you'd know, because you wouldn't be saying stuff like "I don't want to waste a single day being sad if it doesn't work out" or "I'm always looking out for myself, first and foremost."

Ok, that was a little wordy. I need to learn to be more concise :laugh:. But you know what I mean, hopefully.

I'm not sacrificing my career for anyone. Not parents, nor grandparents, nor long lost relatives, nor girlfriends.

By extrapolating your logic to my situation, I should not even date.

Silly logic, if you ask me, as someone that loves me should not ask me to sacrifice my career.

It seems like your entire post says, "It's okay for there to be sacrifice in the relationship, as long as I'm the beneficiary of it."

Sorry about the stark contrast in posting styles. Something happened this weekend to make me completely change my mind about relationships. Thank you, everyone, for posting your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:
dude...

you're really defensive. you came here for advice...people will give it.

Also, i think you COMPLETELY missed his point.

Basically he said selfless caring as in...you should look out for the needs of the other person above YOUR OWN needs. I think he/she also meant that you should do it occasionally enough to create enough of a bonding.

There's nothing wrong with that. The only reason I dont wholeheartedly support it is out of concern that it may consume too much of my time only to end in misery and hurt my own life/emotions. In other words, I would want to approach it in a happy medium of middleness without placing too much value into the relationship until its reached a decent level or strength.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't understand the logic behind it, at all. Maybe I'm just too shallow of a person to understand what they're saying, which is entirely possible.

I just don't understand the logic behind it, at all. Maybe I'm just too shallow of a person to understand what they're saying, which is entirely possible.

You are definitely a surgeon.

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on my relationship situation. Obviously I'm going to make my own decision, but I was curious to know what everyone who has been in medical school for a while thinks.

Here's the situation:

I've been dating my GF since Christmas of 2008. We met in UG. She has one more semester to go, and wants to go to professional school in Virginia, but I'm going to WVU medical in the fall. She seems to think that we'll be together for 4 years during a long distance relationship while I'm in medical school. I'm not too sure of it, but am willing to give it my best shot. However, I'm not sure that I want to be worried about her/what she's doing while I'm 200 miles away in medical school.
Xmas of 2008 till now would be 7 months, right?
Sit down and talk to her about the issue, and let her know that you need a girl who would give you her company. SHe obviously won't be able to do this for you for the next 4 years, except a couple of visits a year. If you can bear with that, carry on with the relationship. I know SO MANY guys, including me, won't keep it up with someone 200 miles away, unless they don't have any other options. If you are likey to have other options in future, move on. Girls come and go like buses at the bus station.

Just to add to the original thread, I started dating someone in my class a few months after school started, and got married right before second year began. Worked out fine for us so far.

So you got married after dating for significantly less than a year?

Just to add to the original thread, I started dating someone in my class a few months after school started, and got married right before second year began. Worked out fine for us so far.

I love the fact that you had the courage to put "so far" over there.

Well, I realize that M2 is different than the rest of our careers, that's the reason behind "so far." Both of us are fairly religious, and don't believe in divorce, so it doesn't matter what the future holds because we've made a committment to one another.

Yes, we got engaged after a little less than 2 months, then got married about a year after we started dating. Sometimes you just know.

Well, I realize that M2 is different than the rest of our careers, that's the reason behind "so far." Both of us are fairly religious, and don't believe in divorce, so it doesn't matter what the future holds because we've made a committment to one another.

Yes, we got engaged after a little less than 2 months, then got married about a year after we started dating. Sometimes you just know.

The Catholic Church doesn't "believe" in divorce either, but somehow they find ways around it... :rolleyes:

The Catholic Church doesn't "believe" in divorce either, but somehow they find ways around it... :rolleyes:

Yes, and it's quite a shame. Marriage should be a committment that two people make to each other. Somehow it's lost it's meaning, and just something two people do because it's convienent for them at the time. Our religious institutions (IMO) don't take a strong enough stance against divorce, and instead like to pick and choose their points of contention.

Congrats. Hope all goes well for you.

Your posts are interesting to me because we're pretty much polar opposites. I'm an atheist and don't believe in marriage.

I suppose I'm a very sobering individual to be around.

yawn

Last edited:
I will start by saying that yes, I am female, and as a disclaimer, that no, I am not in love with "chick flicks" nor do I believe in love at first sight.

That being said, I have been in a long distance distance relationship with my boyfriend for over a year now. We met at the start of his M3 year (which is supposedly the hardest year of med school). And during this year, I've never felt neglected or that he didn't take out time for me - he most certainly did. (And by the way, he's applying surgery for residency, like tco plans to.) Now, I will be starting M1 pretty soon, and he will be starting M4. Again, this will continue to be long distance. Obviously, we're not under some kind of delusion that we're never going to have problems with two people in med school in separate cities, but at the same time, the idea of breaking up is not really on the table. I understand that there are many out here on SDN that will feel like our relationship probably won't work out given the circumstances, and there's always the possibility that it won't, but, call me idealistic, I genuinely believe that it will.

So, to tco (and the possibly jaded surag :) ), it really depends on where you are in life. It sounds like you're just not at a point where you want to be in a long-term relationship, which is completely fine. Long-term relationships, long distance relationships, all relationships in general require compromise and at least SOME sacrifice - and in the case of med students, that sacrifice is likely time! I don't think the issue here is distance at all - if you wanted to be with the girl, you would. It's naive to think that issues wouldn't arise if you were living in the same city or living together - something or other will always cause tension. If the attitude is "i don't want to have to deal with anything," then no relationship will work out because nothing will really be worth making it work out. I think you do care about this girl, but I just think that you two are in different places in your life in terms of what you want out of it. Like I said before, that's fine - it's just the way it is.

Everyone should keep in mind that you can meet your soul mate anywhere. Grocery store, gym, favorite music venue, whatever...there are good people everywhere. Some people seem way too preoccupied with the idea of dating a med student.

Sweet, I always had a fantasy I'd meet my soulmate in a truck driver. A female truck driver.

That would be AWESOOOMme duude. totally raad.

Bandu: I like what you said, and you're probably right. I've been accused by ex girlfriends' friends for being a serial dater, a commitment phobe(sp?). Someone without the guts to make it last or afraid of being rejected(i always broke up first). So perhaps you are correct.

Sweet, I always had a fantasy I'd meet my soulmate in a truck driver. A female truck driver.

That would be AWESOOOMme duude. totally raad.

Bandu: I like what you said, and you're probably right. I've been accused by ex girlfriends' friends for being a serial dater, a commitment phobe(sp?). Someone without the guts to make it last or afraid of being rejected(i always broke up first). So perhaps you are correct.

But what if she left you for some tramp she met at a truck stop?

I don't really know what to make of it when guys are accused of being allergic to commitment, because it is usually the ex and her loved ones who level the accusation, and some of that might come from the woman feeling hurt and wanting to rationalize why the relationship didn't work out in a way that absolves her of all the "blame." Some guys really are like that, but sometimes it isn't anyone's fault.

Anyway, you know yourself.

For the record, I just talked to my GF. It turns out that she has 3 of the toughest classes at our UG university next semester, so she most likely won't have any time either. Then, she's planning on taking the MCAT in the spring, after graduation, and trying to get into a biomedical sciences program. That makes me feel a lot better. If she gets in, she'll essentially have med school classes, so she'll understand the workload. Assuming everything falls together correctly, we should both be very understanding to the other's situation, and this might work out after all! :)

Cute! One of my patients was telling me she and her husband had known each other for 1 week and married. They've been together for 62 years :love:

Wonder how many times he's cheated on her.

For one week at a time, obviously.

This thread is giving me a little bit of hope. I'm starting to apply right now and I've never really been in a relationship, mostly because my confidence blows and because it's hard to find someone I'm attracted to physically and intellectually (I know, i sound arrogant, but seriously it's hard to find someone with the same priorities as a pre-med). I mean, there's been girls interested in me, but idk they just never really "clicked" in my mind.

but then I met this girl who has everything I'm looking for, and after it seemed like she was interested, I decided to grow a pair and tell her I was interested. yeah she seemed flattered and everything, but she told me she's too scared to get involved in anything. she's afraid that she wouldn't have time for a relationship, so she's never even thought about liking a guy. first i thought she was trying to let me down nicely, but then it made sense; she's got a pretty conservative background, never had a bf, and I don't think a guy has ever really been interested in her (she's uber-nerd status and hardcore about school, which somehow makes me :love:), so this is a really new situation for her. call me cocky, but I truly believe it doesn't really have to do with me or her not liking me (but now i'm wondering about all the signals i was getting from her before...)

yeah so i was sad that i had lost my chance and that I wouldn't find another girl like that, but I realized med school has a lot of smart girls who are (from what I can tell from website pics) pretty attractive. but I was concerned that maybe people don't get together with other people during med school, and i was anticipating 4 lonely years. yay to this thread :thumbup:

but i'm still hung up on this girl.. anyone been in this situation? it's only been a couple weeks since i told her and she never expected me to come out and tell her, so do you think she's scared/surprised and might just need some time to think? (like I said, i don't think a guy has ever come out to her and told her this. combine that with her commitment to school and you've got a pretty tough egg to crack haha). Or is this truly the end of the line?

but i'm still hung up on this girl.. anyone been in this situation? it's only been a couple weeks since i told her and she never expected me to come out and tell her, so do you think she's scared/surprised and might just need some time to think? (like I said, i don't think a guy has ever come out to her and told her this. combine that with her commitment to school and you've got a pretty tough egg to crack haha). Or is this truly the end of the line?

I think you're right in saying that she might be into you, but I also think she's might not ready for a relationship. I was the same way for all of high school and most of undergrad; I focused on doing well in school and most of my friends were girls because I feared that a relationship would be too distracting and too emotionally taxing. I sort of denied my attraction to lots of guys because a) I wasn't looking for anything and b) I felt certain they'd never be attracted to me, as none of them ever directly stated any interest. When I finally let the armor crack, it...didn't work out so well in the end, and I was quite cut up. So my prediction is, if she cracks, she'll crack hard, but she probably won't crack if she's sensible about it. However, a relationship is very tempting to pursue when someone halfway-decent offers it to you and you don't have a lot of other interested parties, so I'd wait and see.

This thread is giving me a little bit of hope. I'm starting to apply right now and I've never really been in a relationship, mostly because my confidence blows and because it's hard to find someone I'm attracted to physically and intellectually (I know, i sound arrogant, but seriously it's hard to find someone with the same priorities as a pre-med). I mean, there's been girls interested in me, but idk they just never really "clicked" in my mind.

but then I met this girl who has everything I'm looking for, and after it seemed like she was interested, I decided to grow a pair and tell her I was interested. yeah she seemed flattered and everything, but she told me she's too scared to get involved in anything. she's afraid that she wouldn't have time for a relationship, so she's never even thought about liking a guy. first i thought she was trying to let me down nicely, but then it made sense; she's got a pretty conservative background, never had a bf, and I don't think a guy has ever really been interested in her (she's uber-nerd status and hardcore about school, which somehow makes me :love:), so this is a really new situation for her. call me cocky, but I truly believe it doesn't really have to do with me or her not liking me (but now i'm wondering about all the signals i was getting from her before...)

yeah so i was sad that i had lost my chance and that I wouldn't find another girl like that, but I realized med school has a lot of smart girls who are (from what I can tell from website pics) pretty attractive. but I was concerned that maybe people don't get together with other people during med school, and i was anticipating 4 lonely years. yay to this thread :thumbup:

LOOOL

This is EXACTLY whom I was providing advice for. And when I did this I was getting beat up for no reason.

Now, I get to show what I mean...

Look, Several things went wrong and I dont even know where to start.

First of all, let me talk about the psyche of women. I dont care how average looking a girl is, how socially awkward a girl is, how nerdy she is. If she's even a 5/10 looking girl she's been hit on before. maybe not outright asked out all the time, but guys are checkign her out, guys are trying to strike conversation up with her.

You think you're the first guy to ever approach her like that? You think you're the only guy who came and talked to her with more than a passing interest? I'll bet many guys have done it before and almost all of them probably behaved like you.

Which leads to the point that you let your guard down. Thinking she was this nerdy chic who would be ok with someone hitting on her she'd at least show some sign of interest. Problem is, girls are TURNED OFF by such WUSSY behavior.

And thats precisely what you were, a wuss. I sound like a jerk, I know I know, so I'm going to apologize right now so that I can keep your attention and not turn this into a heated war. So: I'm sorry.

That being said, here's what transpired underneath all that subterfuge:

Basically, you've got limited experience with girls. And with that being said you have been ingrained with the notion that somehow women are these gentle creatures waiting to be asked out kindly and that if the 'right' girl comes along you will be able to ask her out and it will all work out.

FIRST MISTAKE:

The first mistake you did was assume that because she showed 'interest' in you initially that somehow it may workout if you just ask her out directly. Basically you asked if she was 'interested' in a relationship. You decided to 'grow a pair' because you have known how in the media and so forth guys need to 'grow a pair' because asking a girl out requires special skills or 'smoothness' or is above and beyond everyday activity.

The fact is, that girl's been showing interest in guys since she hit puberty. I dont care if she's ok looking or dresses conservatively or whatever. NEVER EVER MAKE AN ASSUMPTION ABOUT A GIRL. Let me ask you this, how often do you check hot girls out? chances are thats how often she's checking guys out. Why should you be any different?

So, rule number one: Never make assumption about a girl no matter how 'unattractive' or 'uncool' or 'conservative' she is.

Now, here's the next mistake you made.

MISTAKE NUMBER TWO:

do you know why she was 'the one' and had everything you wanted in a girl? Because, through your own admission, you never bothered really talking to other girls. Now you sort of came across the answer on your own but you don't seem to be too confident in it. That you will come across attractive and smart girls in life. The fact of the matter is....THAT IS A FACT. THere are countless women EVERYWHERE.

The reason why she seems to be cool is because, and I'm going to take a leap here...you've been too much of a wuss all your life not having the balls to talk to chics and not having the 'confidence' to go up to women and chat them up.

Instead you did what every self respecting man does...you rationalized it that you were too good for them. OF COURSE YOU ARE. you are you. you are better than everyone else. if you dont have that confidence with yourself THEN NO ONE WILL.

The problem is, you're using it the wrong way. Instead of thinking I'm a smart and confident guy let me talk to all these women who I can chat up with who would see what I see in myself, you've decided to throw away the most important currency out of the window. The currency of confidence. And you used it to rationalize your way out of asking women out. You made yourself into a WUSS.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT. you are INEXPERIENCED. Do you know how many times guys come up to me with this BS? Oh man, I'm too good for most chics I dont care for most of them, I'm going to save my interest and important time FOR THAT SPECIAL ONE PERSON. And then she COMES ALONG. and has everything they want...looks, smarts,

MAN SHE EVEN WEARS THE SAME UNDERWEAR AS ME :laugh::laugh::laugh:

the fact of the matter is, EVERY GUY including myself has gone through this before where we constantly come across MANY WOMEN whom we think are THE ONE. and then get REJECTED for some odd reason and think....EACH AND EVERY TIME. man I just lost the best girl in my life, **** what next?

and then we go ask our friends (or in your case message boards) about how we can attract women and how we lost that 'one' that special 'one'.

Your mistake was to ASSUME that shes the one. You dont even KNOW her. you dont even have a strong FRIENDSHIP with her. I can tell you how many girls I made an assumption about and then found out how different they were after we became friends: EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Let me ask you: do you put your emotions and attitude on a sleeve? Does everyone size you up immediately? Does everyone know who you are the frist five minutes they talk to you? I HOPE NOT, AND PROBABLY THE ANSWER IS NO...then why is that girl any different?

Your mistake was putting too much into this one girl because you thought she was something special, thus, WORTH PURSUING.

THUS, because of your limited experience, and the pressure that you may not come across a girl again and compounded with the nervousness of talking to her and all the thinking that went into it(very apparent since you thought you grew a pair of balls specially for this occasion) you basically decided that she was a special one.

the fact is, your limited experience and your worry that you'll lose out of if you dont talk to her made you think she's the one....BIG MISTAKE.

MISTAKE NUMBER THREE.

you think its your fault. And I dont mean what you did(which is your fault) but who you are as a person.

You may not have said its your fault or that you think it is. In fact you've even tried to play it off by saying you're too 'cocky' and so forth.

the fact is, its crossed your mind. Just from the way you wrote, that 'down feeling' as if perhaps you are at fault as a person. maybe you feel you're not good looking enough, or tall enough, or not sociable enough. whatever the reason. But the fact is, you do feel like that.

Now why, when I am a complete stranger to you, who knows nothing about you, be so confident in what I say? Because if you were truly confident in yourself you wouldnt be here.

And there is nothing wrong with how you feel. WE ALL START off like this. Everyone starts off somewhere. Tom Brady was a ****ty quarterback at some point in his life. Andre Agassi sucked at Tennis at some point in his life. and George clooney sucked with women at some point in his life.

The thing is, you gotta build yourself up and realize you have things others don't have. This isnt some mind trick I'm trying to play, some sort of ok now feel better about yourself you'll b fine in life bla bla bla. This is how it is...if you're not believing in yourself then why should a woman?

And that brings me up to another point...WOMEN CAN SIZE MEN UP IN A MATTER OF SECONDS. The minute they approach, how they talk etc. a girl can figure it out in seconds. Every girl who's at least average looking can.

On top of that, women subconsciously decide who's worth their time and who isnt. Its just that way. And once you get placed in the iffy guy box...you've got a up hill climb.

So now that I've pointed out some of your flaws....my next post is going to be about what you can do about it.

Last edited:
Ok, first off...lets get this off our chests...

Forget about THIS girl....she's not YOUR ONE. NOONE IS. your ONE only develops OVER TIME. No one can be YOUR ONE THE SECOND YOU LAY YOUR EYES ON THEM.

Second, this chic is in all honestly and MOST LIKELY(a case of probability so I could be wrong much like an unbiased coin could flip 30/70 after a million tries :) ) is NO LONGER INTERESTED IN YOU.

why do i say that? because you came across as wuss, because women are inclined to say NO everytime because you PUT HER ON THE SPOT.

but lets first start with what she said. OH PLEASE, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A RELATIONSHIP... BS

If a girl is interested in a guy then she will have time for him and she WILL TAKE THE RISK.

think about what she said...SHE'S AFRAID....what women is NOT afraid of a relationship? IT is PREDICATED ON RISK AND TRUST....there are no GUARANTEES in a relationship. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

So the question is....why did she say what she did? Are you so repulsive that she wanted out? No because you say she showed interest(I'll get to that in a second). Did you do something to offend her? You just met her so no.

The reason is, because YOU PUT HER ON THE SPOT. The minute you put a girl on the spot especially about something as serious as this...chances are, they will say no. Why? Because it IS EASIER TO MANTAIN THE STATUS QUO THAN ANYTHING. Why should she say she's intersted or whatever you asked her about? I'm willing to be it was too direct, and she sensed that you were interested in a relationship and she felt uncomfortable, she didnt know you she didnt know why she would want to be in a relationship etc.

Asking a girl directly or being direct through body language etc is NOT A GOOD WAY TO MEET OR CREATE A RELATIONSHIP. What you need to do is GIVE HER A REASON TO DATE YOU OR BE INTERESTED IN THAT....in other words, you need to develop and heighten HER INTEREST IN YOU.

The best way to approach it is to WANT to be FRIENDS and treat her like a FRIEND. initially. THATS RIGHT...I SAID IT...treat her like a friend. WHY? BECAUSE this way you actually get to be the normal guy you are...Now before you go off on me saying ohhh you cant be friends with someone and date...let me straighten something out...i'm not asking you to become her friend, im asking you to treat her like a friend for the first one or two days you meet her while at the same time being flirty and then make the transition here's why:

do you have friends? Are they mostly guys? Chances are then your cool or chill in someway...otherwise you wont have friends. and that same coolness same YOURSELF needs to come out with this girl. So that when you have a conversation, you're not secretly thinking about doing her and she's not feeling like you want to do her and get in her pants. now this is completely different from USING HER OR TRYING TO BE SOMEONE YOU'RE NOT...I am asking you to BE YOURSELF. and by doing this you get to

1. FIND OUT WHO SHE IS AND SEE IF SHE'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR A RELATIONSHIP.
2. HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS AND NOT FEEL DOWN IF THINGS "ONLY' end up as friends.
3. NOT COME ACROSS LIKE A DOUCEHBAG.

One way you can do this is to casually start a conversation without thinking about dating; so ask about her day, ask about what she's doing why she's doing what etc. etc...and when you're about to leave you can say...well, you know what, that was an interesting conversation, why dont we get COFFEE SOMETIME. let me give you my number, and let me get yours.
Then say, I will contact you sometime.

And dont call her for at least a week....then ask her when you have the time to JOIN YOU for coffee ABOUT 5 OR 10 MINUTES YOU PLAN ON GOING...NEVER MAKE A DATE OUT OF IT...remember your treating her like a friend. But I digress...this advice is for later.

SO THE QUESTION IS:

why should you TREAT HER LIKE A FRIEND...isn't that what we're trying to AVOID?
Thats right we are...but we also want to make sure we come across right and we aren't trying to PRESSURE HER. remember how I said you probably pressured her...THIS WAY YOU NEVER WILL.

So how do you go about it without feeling the need to constantly think about dating her and feeling dashed if it doesnt work out?(remember, just because your not direct now doesnt mean that thinking about it in your head will make it any better, if anything you will still put your hopes into her and it will come out no matter how well you act)

The way you go about it is to MEET MORE GIRLS. Meet a lot, meet all of them, say hi to all, make NEW FRIENDS and try and ask all of them to coffee or some other PRESSURELESS activity...that is, no dinner, no movie, no date night etc. that way, you now can be friendly to all.

But the key factor is that while you are trying to be friends...YOU WORK ON YOUR ABILITY TO BE FLIRTY WITH ALL OF THEM. Indeed, you have to work charm and all of that coolness you have into it so that you don't END UP IN THE FRIENDS BOX.

the last thing you would want to do is end up being only a 'friend' after the first time you meet them. Thats right...while you're treating them like a friend you have to be a flirty guy.

But then the question is....isn't that taking advantage of women? isn't that making you a douche?

The thing is...if you are a chill personality who is humorous and who isn't putting too much stock into these 'relationship's then you wont be like that because its YOUR PERSONALITY COMING OUT.

The important point out of all of this is that

1. you have to stop thinking that you will meet that one special girl and put all your eggs into it.
2. meet more women.
3. do not pressure women when you first start talking to them.
4. At the same time develop and create interest that spark that makes them attracted to you and show them your flirty/confident/humorous side.
5. you have to make the effort to be a cool and confident guy in your life in general and really believe it. never let anything get you down...this has to be the MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE YOU CAN TAKE AWAY FROM ALL THIS.

Last edited:
Basically one question that i get from friends who need advice is...how do I be a confident guy with women and before they continue I say STOP.

YOU JUST MADE A BIG MISTAKE.

you asked me how you can be a confident guy WITH WOMEN.....thats stupid.

does that mean you dont want to be confident with your guy friends? Are you meek? Are you a child? NO.

YOU MUST BE CONFIDENT IN LIFE. and unless you are confident in life and dont care about whether it works out or not with a girl(INITIALLY WHEN YOU JUST MEET) not, when your dating etc(I'm not saying you should be a callous bastard...so please don't chastise me for that...its lame and stupid)
unless you are confident, you will suffer...and you will not succeed to your fullest potential.

now don't come here and reply back saying ohh no i am confident in everything else its just with women or just this person or w/e...i dont care..you're here, you lack confidence period. Dont defend yourself on a stupid online forum. take the good advice here, ask questions, and learn from it. truly be confident. dont just say you are for your pride. go out there and meet people, meet girls. DONT MAKE EXCUSES...excuses take away your confidence.

saying you make girls jealous of yourself or that you act differently or actually acting differently around women makes you less confident.

behaving in a way that makes you act one way with women when talking to them and then completely differently makes you less confident.

lying to women about who you are makes you less confident.

BE CONFIDENT IN LIFE.

you must be in charge and think that if a girl isn't showing interest ITS NOT BECAUSE OF WHO YOU ARE...perhaps she's dating or interested in someone, or perhaps you behaved wrong, perhaps your white and she's into black guys. maybe she's a lesbian. maybe she's cranky. maybe she got laid off. Who cares...just don't think its always your fault as a person.

that goes for everything in life...YOU HAVE TO BE CONFIDENT IN YOURSELF...only then will this work.

Guys, there's no easy way out of it to date attractive chics or women in general.

Now that brings me to the other point: i always get, even on these posts...oh but you can meet someon and ohhhhh if its right it will work out.
Which maybe true...but do you really want to take that chance? do you really want to wait out, missing out on all the opportunities like you just did only to hope that the next one will work out? the next one that comes out occasionally because you havn't bothered to meet all the average girls and attractive girls and feel that this has to work out or you'll feel crappy and come back to this forum again asking why its not working out, if 'anyone else' feels this way?

NO. YOU DON'T. and thats exactly what I'm saying. Sure you'll get married, everyone does...but my question is, why settle for the occasinally relationship you get and ending up marrying her because you're afraid if you break up you wont get another chic or will have a hard time dating all over again?

I had an argument with other posters over this, over how guys dont want to marry but do because of the above reasons...

I realize now that its because the guys who argued with me probably are in the same boat as you and feel like that...

to me marriage can indeed be something special, but the only WAY IT WILL WORK OUT SO THAT YOU MEET THE RIGHT PERSON. is if you MEET ENOUGH WOMEN AND ARE CONFIDENT THAT THE ONE YOU ARE MARRYING WILL MOST LIKELY BE BEST FOR YOU. that you are marrying FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. not because you DONT WANT TO LOSE HER...but because you know she's special and you know that even if the girl your dating/marrying were to leave or were it not going to work out you can ALWAYS MEET AND DATE OTHER BETTER WOMEN.

so with that in mind... i think it is important that guys go out and meet girls and date as many women as they can until they find the right one.

I'm not asking you to be a jerk, or a serial dater, or cheat, or anything else thats stupid...not because its morally wrong but because in the end...its meaningless....im saying guys should go out of the box and become more confident so that they become better decision makers with women and in life.

Last edited:
i was a bit general on a lot of things such as how to approach a girl etc...

mainly because I wanted to keep this already long post short...and its long already.

if you want to know more or have specific questions feel free to ask away.

if you have personal questions or want to know what i've done in situations or how i used to make mistakes and be like you then PM me, I will gladly answer all questions as long as you dont ask my name, social security number and if I've had a sex change operation...which I have JK....just checking to see if you're paying attention :)

I hope to be able to write novels about women on SDN one day.

I hope to be able to write novels about women on SDN one day.

yea...uhh

this is coming from the guy who's desperately seeking advice on a forum...

hmm....

yea im not insulted.

I'm trying to help people out...you're adding nothing.

Go back to pining for women...you're really successful at that.

I think your advice would be very helpful if it were more concise. I read through half of the first post, and realized that there were still 2 more equally long posts to come. Maybe if they were directed at me, I would have been more interested and finished.

Pining for women? Hahah...Okay. I don't even know how that pertains to me, considering that I don't get close enough to people to miss them, let alone pine.

I think your advice would be very helpful if it were more concise. I read through half of the first post, and realized that there were still 2 more equally long posts to come. Maybe if they were directed at me, I would have been more interested and finished.

Pining for women? Hahah...Okay. I don't even know how that pertains to me, considering that I don't get close enough to people to miss them, let alone pine.

the posts were not for you....nothing i wrote in those 4 posts was for you. all of it was for the individual who asked for advice and for other people in similar situations....most guys can associate with what he said including me at some point in time.

to write what i wrote concisely would have required me spend a lot of time....i already spent time writing it....i'm not going to waste more time on it.

whatever, you mock me, i'll mock you. there was no need for you to write your comment the way you did.

if you wanted to make the point in your second post that i'm quoting here...which was fine...you could have just said that.

i'm trying to help people here man...i've got good experience, experience i gained by screwing up the hard way with women and life and now i've been successful...there's no need to shoot the messanger.

take what you like from what i write and leave it at that.

if you have questions you can ask....no need to be a jerk.

Well, yeah, you can mock, but you suck at it. The mocking should have something that touches a person on a personal level, and it being true doesn't hurt either.

Stick to what you're good at. Apparently, that's giving advice on relationships.

I am an a**, it's what I do. You're right that I shouldn't have said it, but I'll probably say something else equally as jerkish in the near future. I'll apologize in advance. I'm sorry. Seriously...

STAYING STEADY... I hope you find what I wrote helpful

Bombtrack, thanks, I PM'd u as well.

Haha TCO...i just realized...you said I suck at mocking you...and that i'd be better at it if I speak the truth about someone...maybe you said that to subtly suggest that you don't need help with women...

but you came here for advice...you needed it, not me...you're the one with difficulty with women. don't deny it...there's nothing wrong with that, and the more people who post here the better. but don't be a jerk about it.

Not being good with women sucks. And frankly, you probably suck at it if you need advice. I sucked at it too at some point. This is the only way you learn. but that doesnt mean you can be a jerk about it. I guess what I'm saying is...by your own definition, my mockery doesn't suck. I'm sure it stings to hear that you're not good with women. Learn, and improve!

Last edited:
Surag - what you said about the idea of "the one" and the meaning of a girl not "having time" for a relationship and about the confidence thing... Agreed.

If a girl says that she doesn't have time for a relationship, she's just not interested right now or she's unsure. That doesn't mean that she can't become interested in the guy in the future - her feelings can most definitely change - but right now, she's not interested. This also doesn't mean that she has all the time in the world for a relationship - she might actually be incredibly busy; however, if she really likes a guy, she will at least TRY to make time for him. No one wants to give up someone with whom they really see a future.

1. you have to stop thinking that you will meet that one special girl and put all your eggs into it.

I know. Women hate parasitic alien lifeforms that use them as incubators, leaving their progeny to eat out the insides until only a lifeless husk remains.

Last edited:
i know. Women hate parasitic alien lifeforms that use them as incubators, leaving their progeny to eat out the insides until only a lifeless husk remains.

lol

Surag - what you said about the idea of "the one" and the meaning of a girl not "having time" for a relationship and about the confidence thing... Agreed.

If a girl says that she doesn't have time for a relationship, she's just not interested right now or she's unsure. That doesn't mean that she can't become interested in the guy in the future - her feelings can most definitely change - but right now, she's not interested. This also doesn't mean that she has all the time in the world for a relationship - she might actually be incredibly busy; however, if she really likes a guy, she will at least TRY to make time for him. No one wants to give up someone with whom they really see a future.

no...i dont think thats why she said it....I mean, I agree that she was being honest...about how she's afraid or w/e.

but the fact of the matter is that the interest was gone...i mean he was too forward, and she was uncomfortable. he needed to have created interest in her...in order for it to work out.

best thing to do at this time is to leave her be for a while...at least 2 weeks and then retry it using my methods or something similar.

surag ftw :horns:

spot on.

hey don't hate, i second surag's sage relationship advice, i think he's awesome, def should write for seventeen magazine.

surag, any tricks for getting rid of acne on your back or what's the best place to get hip clothes that will generate some positive BUZZ!!!!

PLEASSEEEE I NEED HELP!