Dating atmosphere in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but ill be going to a school that has a lot more girls than guys and a lot of single people. Its a small school though, would getting to know a lot of the girls be a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you go ham on the bishes mang, become a player pimp.

Srs.

At my school, it's like 60:40 m:f, so the women have their pick of men, and you can bet that they'll be picking the bigass muscular "alpha" dudes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but ill be going to a school that has a lot more girls than guys and a lot of single people. Its a small school though, would getting to know a lot of the girls be a bad idea?

Many of the ones that are single at first glance will be in committed relationships with someone outside of school. Even still, don't be "that guy," and the odds are in your favor.

edit - nvm. Just realized you are going MD.

Many of the ones that are single at first glance will be in committed relationships with someone outside of school. Even still, don't be "that guy," and the odds are in your favor.

so ? o_O

Elaborate on a couple things you said? Haha.

How do you judge someone to be single at first glance? And what is the difference if he's going MD or not?

Had some tips about what not to do in OMM lab. Saw EMDO, thought DO.

Oh, yeah OMM would have been fun, unless I got partnered with some fat guy

Elaborate on a couple things you said? Haha.

How do you judge someone to be single at first glance? And what is the difference if he's going MD or not?

You're right. Should have something along the lines of "Many of the girls you HOPE are single, will have outside relationships."

Sorry fellas, been a long day of board review.

Reactions: 1 users
You're right. Should have something along the lines of "Many of the girls you HOPE are single, will have outside relationships."

Sorry fellas, been a long day of board review.
No worries, I just imagined looking at a woman "she looks like she can't keep a man".

Elaborate?

1. Don't stare. There will be plenty to look at.
2. Don't go around asking girls "Can I feel your PSIS?"
3. Don't say "Your sacrotuberous ligaments are both really loose," then ask "WHAT have YOU been up to?" and wink
4. etc.

No worries, I just imagined looking at a woman "she looks like she can't keep a man".
There will be a handful where this applies.

Reactions: 2 users
3. Don't say "Your sacrotuberous ligaments are both really loose," then ask "WHAT have YOU been up to?" and wink
4. etc.

I bet you did all these lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you go ham on the bishes mang, become a player pimp.

Srs.

At my school, it's like 60:40 m:f, so the women have their pick of men, and you can bet that they'll be picking the bigass muscular "alpha" dudes.
Not necessarily. They may have certain racial preferences.

4. etc.

:rofl:

The URM thread is-------> that way
Oh hush, it wasn't directed at you. My point is that girls have a preference in what characteristics they want in a guy - not just muscles.

What are people studying for 6 entire hours EVERY DAY? I catch up on lecture. I read what they tell me to read. But I don't think I study 6 hours every day. And I would say I am in the A/B group (but then again, we are pass fail so who really cares?). Hearing that people are studying so much makes me question whether I am doing this right... are people reading up on things related to the class material that is not covered in the class? Someone enlighten me. (and just fyi, ugrad was hell for me. Took way too many units every single semester at a very large and very competitive university full of backstabbing and jaded premeds).

Edit: (But of course, during general anatomy...I didn't have time to do anything but study and spend extra time with the lovely cadavers.)

Im guessing in the regular 9-4 school you have about 4 lectures a day, how much can one professor cover in one lecture?

There are a few couples within our class, but a majority of the girls are dating people from undergrad, and the guys are mainly single. I fall in the latter category. I'm in no rush though to find anyone, though I feel like it would be nice to have a girl friend just to add some stability to my life.

EDIT: Of course there are non-trads taht are married and happy and whatnot, but there are a couple of 30ish year old people that are single too.

tl;dr - tfw no gf

I'm so happy I'm boring and married. Dating was so full or drama and exhausting. I'm excited to sit back and enjoy hearing about other people's drama.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm so happy I'm bored and married. Dating was so full or drama and exhausting. I'm excited to sit back and enjoy hearing about other people's drama.

Bored women have affairs. Its okay though humans are not a monogamous species. You're married? How old are you?

Bored women have affairs. Its okay though humans are not a monogamous species. You're married? How old are you?

Damn. Must have auto corrected from boring to bored.

Yes I'm married. I'm 23.

The raw number of girls doesn't tell you how many single, attractive, fit girls there will be in your class. From what I have seen, there are more fit guys than fit girls for any given age group - this trend will extend to med school as well.

Right now, your plan should be:

1) Gym everyday
2) Eat cleanly
3) Upgrade any other weak parts of your appearance (haircut, clothing, teeth, whatever)
4) Hit on as many girls as possible in your home city. Go on dates and try to close. Change your methods as needed

If you do these things, you will be in position to dominate medical school. If you can't do these things, then you shouldn't be surprised if you have to settle for a grenade with a great personality.

As always, the rest is up to you...

Im non trad too
I'm probably older than you. And far more sick of dating. A divorce and a half'll do that to you. If I were to end up single, dating other med students would be off my radar though- I don't **** where I eat, and I strongly prefer girls with interests outside of medicine.

Every med school class has a couple of guys (and girls) notorious for their serial encounters. However, if you burn too many (or really any) bridges you very quickly get known for it. The worst ones are the ones who end up having to go younger and younger (i.e. picking up first years as a 4th year they've burned their social bridges with every other class). The other tendency is for people to very quickly pair up into couples and/or serially monogamize within their class.

So true. The ones that have multiple encounters quickly make a name for themselves, and end up creating enemies esp. when they have to work together on rotations and end up having to turn to the power differential (MS-4 vs. MS-1/MS-2). This can backfire when your classmates can easily throw you under the bus on rotations to make themselves look good.

If you want countless meaningless sexual encounters, medical school classmates are not the ones to do it with. Medical school is stressful enough as it is.

Every med school class has a couple of guys (and girls) notorious for their serial encounters. However, if you burn too many (or really any) bridges you very quickly get known for it. The worst ones are the ones who end up having to go younger and younger (i.e. picking up first years as a 4th year they've burned their social bridges with every other class).

The other tendency is for people to very quickly pair up into couples and/or serially monogamize within their class.

I actually know a MS-4 who goes after MS-1s at parties. A few women I know have complained about his aggressive advances. He will be going into ENT next year.*

*Specialty changed to protect the sleazy, but it is a competitive surgical subspecialty, and I'll leave it at that.

Good lord you really have NO clue, do you?

I don't follow.

(a) you continue to talk like an idiot. Saying things like"biches." Unless I missed it and you are actually living in Compton...you should literally never speak like that. And it's bad enough on an internet forum but you've indicated you speak like this in real life as well.

(b) you just have no freaking clue how the whole dating/flirting/attraction thing works, and it's so clear in your posts that it pains me.
Ark is probably a very talented troll- his personality varies too much from day to day, and there is a hell of a lot of dissonance in the things he says. He is definitely not as he appears.

(a) you continue to talk like an idiot. Saying things like"biches." Unless I missed it and you are actually living in Compton...you should literally never speak like that. And it's bad enough on an internet forum but you've indicated you speak like this in real life as well.

(b) you just have no freaking clue how the whole dating/flirting/attraction thing works, and it's so clear in your posts that it pains me.

a) I stopped talking like that in real life after you mentioned it. It just slipped out here. :(

b) I'm just saying what I see, the most muscular dudes in my class have the most romantic success.

I actually know a MS-4 who goes after MS-1s at parties. A few women I know have complained about his aggressive advances. He will be going into ENT next year.*
*Specialty changed to protect the sleazy, but it is a competitive surgical subspecialty, and I'll leave it at that.
To be fair, he's an MS-4 who has already matched trying to get his pecker wet. It's not like he'll be seeing these MS-1s every again. Way different than if he pulled this in MS-1, 2, or 3 when it could have actually affected him.

Ark is probably a very talented troll- his personality varies too much from day to day, and there is a hell of a lot of dissonance in the things he says. He is definitely not as he appears.
No, he's not a troll. This has already been mentioned before.

b) I'm just saying what I see, the most muscular dudes in my class have the most romantic success.
That's bc you're thoroughly convinced of this, and so an observation of this confirms this to you as the majority. Meanwhile the rest of the guys who don't conform to this, and still are successful, are missed.

No, he's not a troll. This has already been mentioned before.
He had previously convinced people he wasn't a troll, but I still don't buy it. Without anyone knowing him in the real world, I just can't believe such a person exists in real life. It's like I'm staring at non-Euclidean geometry every time I try to believe him, my brain just can't process it.

He had previously convinced people he wasn't a troll, but I still don't buy it. Without anyone knowing him in the real world, I just can't believe such a person exists in real life. It's like I'm staring at non-Euclidean geometry every time I try to believe him, my brain just can't process it.

As a matter of fact, 3 SDNers DO know me IRL, 2 of which are MS-1s at my medical school.

Medical students come in all modes of thought with huge variations in life experience. Medical school admissions rewards academic ability much higher than certain attributes such as life experience (vs. say business). Hardly means one is trolling.

You existing as a human being in medical school does not exclude the possibility that you are trolling us all.

You guys keep saying I'm weird and I have to be trolling, but never say why I must be a troll. :(

Mad Jack said it. The level of dissonance in your day to day postings make the question come up. There's a lack of internal consistency.

And for the record, I don't actually think you are a troll, though from time to time I wonder. If you are, bravo, because you've done a heck of a job.

Well, I don't think there's any inconsistency. I'm a shy Indian dude at the bottom of his med school class that sometimes drinks too much and talks like a weird guy. Not much inconsistent about that.

I don't know why you guys think Arkangeloid is a troll. His personality is typical of someone who spends a lot of time on the internet and playing videogames, and who is socially awkward and/or has aspergers.

Mad Jack said it. The level of dissonance in your day to day postings make the question come up. There's a lack of internal consistency. And for the record, I don't actually think you are a troll, though from time to time I wonder. If you are, bravo, because you've done a heck of a job.
Funny, I got the exact opposite impression - with respect to consistency.

Well, I don't think there's any inconsistency. I'm a shy Indian dude at the bottom of his med school class that drinks too much and talks like a weird guy. Not much inconsistent about that.

According to me the lack of consistency is between your apparent intelligence and warped world view. We all 'fill in the blanks' for things we don't fully understand / take the time to understand based upon our experiences, biases, and the crap we've been fed. Most of our blanks align with each others' to some degree whether or not they're true (called being 'normal'), it's when your blanks don't align with everyone else's that panties get in a twist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-IUKB_def-4

According to me the lack of consistency is between your apparent intelligence and warped world view. We all 'fill in the blanks' for things we don't fully understand / take the time to understand based upon our experiences, biases, and the crap we've been fed. Most of our blanks align with each others' to some degree whether or not they're true (called being 'normal'), it's when your blanks don't align with everyone else's that panties get in a twist.
The major assumption you have is that people have relatively the same experiences and are affected in the same way/degree, so that those blanks align.

The major assumption you have is that people have relatively the same experiences and are affected in the same way/degree, so that those blanks align.

Of course there are many differences, which is why we're not all the same person, but given a geographic location, our experiences and our conditioned response to them may be generally predictable.

Much of that is augmented by structured society, religion, and education.

Edit: Some of them are hardwired:
yyHw8YY.gif

Last edited:
Of course there are many differences, which is why we're not all the same person, but given a geographic location, our experiences and our conditioned response to them may be generally predictable.

Much of that is augmented by structured society, religion, and education.
My point is just bc certain blanks don't align doesn't automatically make one "weird".

My point is just bc certain blanks don't align doesn't automatically make one "weird".
Of course, but if enough of them do, that's what makes one weird.

Of course, but if enough of them do, that's what makes one weird.
:rolleyes: environment at that specific medical school. The culture at different medical school as to what is "weird" varies. The same with the demeanor that is considered normal on different MS-3 rotations and on different specialties.