Dating atmosphere in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah but it's easier for guys to find nice, responsible girls outside of school, a lot of guys that aren't going to school are wasters/losers. They like to talk about smoking weed, playing video games and wondering when the next party is (also unemployed).

Maybe this isn't what happened in your experience, but I know a guy who will sometimes start talking at great lengths about video games when he's trying to discourage a girl he's not interested from continuing to pursue him.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe this isn't what happened in your experience, but I know a guy who will sometimes start talking at great lengths about video games when he's trying to discourage a girl he's not interested from continuing to pursue him.

That must be a male equivalent of a woman working "My boyfriend..." into a random point of a conversation.

Half of the girls are on plenty of fish, eharmony, or match.com

What does that tell you about the dating environment.

Why would a man want to date a female medical student or doctor? If you as a male medical student/future resident/future attending want someone who can understand your schedule maybe date a nurse instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a southern medical school, and it seems like the majority of the guys are already married, engaged, or in a long-term relationship. Similarly, a large chunk of my high school friends (from the same state as my med school) are already married. I'm fairly certain I'll be single until I'm at least 27 at this point, which I am less than thrilled about. Definitely different than my undergrad, which was pretty much the same as yours.

Half of the girls are on plenty of fish, eharmony, or match.com

What does that tell you about the dating environment.

Why would a man want to date a female medical student or doctor? If you as a male medical student/future resident/future attending want someone who can understand your schedule maybe date a nurse instead.

lol'd at POF. nothxjeff/10

s/o will be a year above me at med school crew checking in

Also, school is in middle america and class has plenty of non-trads so lots of marriages, engagements, etc. in her class currently. I would imagine mine will be no different. We clicked right away in UG and it's awesome but most other pre-med girls are obnoxious and all sorts of no thanks so it's the luck of the draw I guess.

Yeah but it's easier for guys to find nice, responsible girls outside of school, a lot of guys that aren't going to school are wasters/losers. They like to talk about smoking weed, playing video games and wondering when the next party is (also unemployed).

sounds like your standards are too high

you are going for top alphas, when you are too ugly or not amazing enough to compete

naturally, any top guys you get with will treat you like a cum dumpster because you are out of their league

got plenty of women at my school that are crazy, ugly, and only good at studying. then they only want to date good looking doctors.

I'm not the prettiest girl but I don't think I'm ugly?

Last edited:

you are going for top alphas, when you are too ugly or not amazing enough to compete

naturally, any top guys you get with will treat you like a cum dumpster because you are out of their league

got plenty of women at my school that are crazy, ugly, and only good at studying. then they only want to date good looking doctors.

Man that avatar looks so familiar---have you ever been to the Lifetime Fitness @ CityCenter in Houston Texas?

I'm not the prettiest girl but I don't think I'm ugly?

You are a very pretty girl!

Damn, I missed it? Screw you cardio revision, screw you.

No "top guy" would treat anyone like a "cum dumpster"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are med school students especially attractive? Why would you want to date the male/female equivalent of yourself?

Now for me, I'm hoping I get into a school with a big undergrad. I tend to go for the artsy-type girls :D

Are med school students especially attractive? Why would you want to date the male/female equivalent of yourself?

Now for me, I'm hoping I get into a school with a big undergrad. I tend to go for the artsy-type girls :D

There are no women, or men for that matter, as good looking, witty, and brilliant as me. I would love to date the female equivalent of myself.

There are no women, or men for that matter, as good looking, witty, and brilliant as me. I would love to date the female equivalent of myself.

Insert Fry's Futurama meme "Not sure if serious"

You might wish to marry your equivalent because similarities in couples generally predicts marital success.

As has been said by others, it seems like a age-disproportionate number of entering medical students are married, or attached to the person they will someday marry.

I would strongly discourage actively searching for a boyfriend while you're in med school. If you meet someone that's great but you simply don't have the time/ emotional resources to go through all the ups and downs of the dating scene. Make friends with the cute boys in your class and maybe something will happen, but a lot of them aren't looking for medstud girls and some of them don't have the best personalities around. Finding people outside of medical school who aren't just looking for sexytime is pretty difficult. Disregard males, acquire currency.

Or maybe you can just date LaughingMan.

I would strongly discourage actively searching for a boyfriend while you're in med school. If you meet someone that's great but you simply don't have the time/ emotional resources to go through all the ups and downs of the dating scene. Make friends with the cute boys in your class and maybe something will happen, but a lot of them aren't looking for medstud girls and some of them don't have the best personalities around. Finding people outside of medical school who aren't just looking for sexytime is pretty difficult. Disregard males, acquire currency.

Or maybe you can just date LaughingMan.

I do agree with you. I've dated recently and yeah all the crap that I've been through has definitely been stressful. I think it's better to just leave it for now and hope that it somehow works out after school.

Disregard males, acquire currency.

+11111

Also, to answer the question on how people look in med school, I was actually surprised to find how many attractive people (men and women) there were. Possibly even more attractive than the general population. I guess I was just so shocked because the average pre-med at my school was essentially Gollum -- in terms of sociopathy, physical appearance, and desire for their precious med school admission.

Seriously though, tons of people at my school take good care of themselves (eat right, work out), are really intelligent, and paradoxically less douchey than pre-meds (at my school, at least).

Oh my, a bunch of rich kids aren't able to find dates. Fascinating......
Here are some tips from an old pro:
- Girls, don't date the losers in your class or elsewhere, wait for the cute, tall, muscular, dreamy, astronaut-neurosurgeon who treats you like a princess. Why? Because you deserve it. Wait out for as long as you must till you meet him. Later, settle for three cats and a BMW X5.
- Boys, go after the highest strung chick in you class (yes, that derm aspirant. Her). Later, settle for a nurse/pt.

+11111

Also, to answer the question on how people look in med school, I was actually surprised to find how many attractive people (men and women) there were. Possibly even more attractive than the general population. I guess I was just so shocked because the average pre-med at my school was essentially Gollum -- in terms of sociopathy, physical appearance, and desire for their precious med school admission.

Seriously though, tons of people at my school take good care of themselves (eat right, work out), are really intelligent, and paradoxically less douchey than pre-meds (at my school, at least).

That was kind of the whole point of the interview process.

And lol @ this thread. I forget how many girls are on these forums sometimes.

I do agree with you. I've dated recently and yeah all the crap that I've been through has definitely been stressful. I think it's better to just leave it for now and hope that it somehow works out after school.

you should hear the amount of residents crying "i need to find a man!"

they put off looking for a guy in med school because it was too stressful and time consuming only to realize that they have even less time in the early years of residency. now they are 4th year residents with one shot to find a guy and put him through the million **** tests before their biological window closes.

you will be fine as long as you are good at settling. it is the ones that refuse to lower their standards that become cat ladies.

Oh my, a bunch of rich kids aren't able to find dates. Fascinating......
Here are some tips from an old pro:
- Girls, don't date the losers in your class or elsewhere, wait for the cute, tall, muscular, dreamy, astronaut-neurosurgeon who treats you like a princess. Why? Because you deserve it. Wait out for as long as you must till you meet him. Later, settle for three cats and a BMW X5.
- Boys, go after the highest strung chick in you class (yes, that derm aspirant. Her). Later, settle for a nurse/pt.

pffft nurses are my plan A, B, and C

they are the trashy broads that managed to get their life together and graduate from a community college

more fun, less drama, and much better in bed

+11111

10/10, would read again.

pffft nurses are my plan A, B, and C

they are the trashy broads that managed to get their life together and graduate from a community college

more fun, less drama, and much better in bed

+1. And you dominate the relationship in all aspects.

Reactions: 2 users

they put off looking for a guy in med school because it was too stressful and time consuming only to realize that they have even less time in the early years of residency. now they are 4th year residents with one shot to find a guy and put him through the million **** tests before their biological window closes.

you will be fine as long as you are good at settling. it is the ones that refuse to lower their standards that become cat ladies.

That's true of everyone not just lady doctors.

Frankly I think it's stupid to insist that a girl MUST have a dude. It's the 21st century. We can just put sperms in ourselves if we really want to get pregnant that badly.

:'(

M1 sucks when you're freaking out trying to find your studying groove. Once you hit your stride it's all good. I half-ass about 2-3 hours of school stuff a day. 1-2 days before the test I'll do a 10 hours per day. Plenty of time to go out and meet people/do fun stuff.

Yea. Seriously. I watch more TV than I did in undergrad. Ever since I found my studying groove. M1 isn't that bad.

+11111

Agreed. I would say that the med students in my class and actually at my school look better than the general population and especially the premed population I was used to in ugrad.

Also, most people in my class were already engaged, married, in a serious relationship when they started school. I agree with other posters advising not to focus on relationships during medschool. You can go for it if you want to but I'd rather pass my boards with flying colors and get into a good residency program and be where I want to be for residency than getting hung up on a relationship with the most probable potential for failure. I'd rather stick with putting all my focus and energy into what is under my own control. And "new" relationships do not fall into that category. I don't want a chick to ruin my future.

Last edited:
Yea. Seriously. I watch more TV than I did in undergrad. Ever since I found my studying groove. M1 isn't that bad.

I love hearing this incoming MS1. As much as I try to pretend, I know that'll be me soon.

Agreed. I would say that the med students in my class and actually at my school look better than the general population and especially the premed population I was used to in ugrad.

Also, most people in my class were already engaged, married, in a serious relationship when they started school. I agree with other posters advising not to focus on relationships during medschool. You can go for it if you want to but I'd rather pass my boards with flying colors and get into a good residency program and be where I want to be for residency than getting hung up on a relationship with the most probable potential for failure. I'd rather stick with putting all my focus and energy into what is under my own control. And "new" relationships do not fall into that category. I don't want a chick to ruin my future.

You seriously can't handle med school and a new relationship? Med school isn't much more time consuming than many full time jobs. Guess you'll never have time for a relationship then. Are you asexual?:laugh:

I love hearing this incoming MS1. As much as I try to pretend, I know that'll be me soon.

I feel like I'd be committing a sin of omission if I didn't complete the med school picture for the premeds reading this. The distribution of work and grades is something like this at my school:
A students: Not a single one I know studies less than 6 hours/day, every day
A/B students: Most study around 6 hours/day, every day
B/C students: Study around 2-4 hours a day, then study more closer to finals
C students: Take days off, party every other weekend, probably put in about 20 hours/week

This is after 20 hours/week of class (PBL curriculum) and all extracurriculars. Also, this is the general distribution, with many outliers of course. Some A/B students I know get away with a lot less studying, and one of my hardest-working friends is getting C's. Fox800 and monkeyMD, the last thing I'm trying to do is to imply you're bad students; in fact, I congratulate you for being efficient and likely very smart. I just feel like this is more representative of the full picture.

I feel like I'd be committing a sin of omission if I didn't complete the med school picture for the premeds reading this. The distribution of work and grades is something like this at my school:
C students: Take days off, party every other weekend, probably put in about 20 hours/week

This is after 20 hours/week of class (PBL curriculum) and all extracurriculars. Also, this is the general distribution, with many outliers of course. Some A/B students I know get away with a lot less studying, and one of my hardest-working friends is getting C's. Fox800 and monkeyMD, the last thing I'm trying to do is to imply you're bad students; in fact, I congratulate you for being efficient and likely very smart. I just feel like this is more representative of the full picture.

What are people studying for 6 entire hours EVERY DAY? I catch up on lecture. I read what they tell me to read. But I don't think I study 6 hours every day. And I would say I am in the A/B group (but then again, we are pass fail so who really cares?). Hearing that people are studying so much makes me question whether I am doing this right... are people reading up on things related to the class material that is not covered in the class? Someone enlighten me. (and just fyi, ugrad was hell for me. Took way too many units every single semester at a very large and very competitive university full of backstabbing and jaded premeds).

Edit: (But of course, during general anatomy...I didn't have time to do anything but study and spend extra time with the lovely cadavers.)

Last edited:
You seriously can't handle med school and a new relationship? Med school isn't much more time consuming than many full time jobs. Guess you'll never have time for a relationship then. Are you asexual?:laugh:

It's not that I can't handle a new relationship and med school and it's not that med school is more time consuming than a full time job. It's just that starting and maintaining a new relationship takes effort and eventually leads to emotional drain one way or another. In the beginning, it might be fun but when all goes wrong, it takes too much energy. Having fun is one thing. Having a relationship is a completely different story.

And no, I am not asexual. Not to my knowledge anyway.

What are people studying for 6 entire hours EVERY DAY? I catch up on lecture. I read what they tell me to read. But I don't think I study 6 hours every day. And I would say I am in the A/B group (but then again, we are pass fail so who really cares?). Hearing that people are studying so much makes me question whether I am doing this right... are people reading up on things related to the class material that is not covered in the class? Someone enlighten me.

Well, we're PBL curriculum so we learn everything with no lectures. You probably get like 30 hours of lecture a week, right? We only have 6 hours/week of PBL meetings (the other 14 hours/week are Clinical Exam, OMM, and miscellaneous mandatory meetings). Your 2 hours/day is bumped up an average of 3 hours/day (30-6, divided by 7 days) when you take the curriculum difference into account.

Plus, my school is like the opposite of pass/fail so people tend to gun more...they put 3.00+ GPA limitations on EVERYTHING so if you got a C in a 5-unit class and you have 100 units of B's (this unit distribution is literally how it is), then your 2.99 GPA will ban you from doing research, being a club officer, getting a job in the library, the list goes on...

(and just fyi, ugrad was hell for me. Took way too many units every single semester at a very large and very competitive university full of backstabbing and jaded premeds).

I-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we're PBL curriculum so we learn everything with no lectures. You probably get like 30 hours of lecture a week, right? We only have 6 hours/week of PBL meetings (the other 14 hours/week are Clinical Exam, OMM, and miscellaneous mandatory meetings). Your 2 hours/day is bumped up an average of 3 hours/day (30-6, divided by 7 days) when you take the curriculum difference into account.

Plus, my school is like the opposite of pass/fail so people tend to gun more...they put 3.00+ GPA limitations on EVERYTHING so if you got a C in a 5-unit class and you have 100 units of B's (this unit distribution is literally how it is), then your 2.99 GPA will ban you from doing research, being a club officer, getting a job in the library, the list goes on...

:eek:
Whoa. What school is this? You can PM me if need be.
I guess I just attend a very chill school.

Best luck to you...

This is just like my school. I always hover around the A/B border and studied 4-6 hours per day after required lectures during preclinical years. Clinicals are much different though. I study a fraction of what I used to.

My school has honor/hp/p set at 90% and 80% cutoffs. Many ppl gun for honors and it's actually very time consuming. It's always depressing when you miss it by 0.1% but then quickly remember residencies don't care anyway.

:eek:
Whoa. What school is this? You can PM me if need be.
I guess I just attend a very chill school.

Best luck to you...

Yeah, I'll PM you. Internet and all that, haha.

Many ppl gun for honors and it's actually very time consuming. It's always depressing when you miss it by 0.1% but then quickly remember residencies don't care anyway.

Dude seriously, effort vs. reward in med school is like a damn f(x) = x^1/3 function, with the x-axis being your effort and y-axis grade. It's nice though how little preclinicals matter. I remember being shocked looking at those NRMP stats for the first time.

Anyway...sorry OP for totally derailing the thread. Let's talk about how med school is basically this video, with less clothes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9e2z0W9RM

Yeah, I'll PM you. Internet and all that, haha.

Dude seriously, effort vs. reward in med school is like a damn f(x) = x^1/3 function, with the x-axis being your effort and y-axis grade. It's nice though how little preclinicals matter. I remember being shocked looking at those NRMP stats for the first time.

Anyway...sorry OP for totally derailing the thread. Let's talk about how med school is basically this video, with less clothes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9e2z0W9RM

One thing I forgot to add earlier was about the amount of partying that goes on. You said only C students partied every other weekend. I definitely could have went out and partied almost every weekend for at least one night as long as it wasn't the last week of the month before tests. You have TONS of time to go out, regardless how much you gun.

I honestly just didn't go out crazy amounts because I hung out with my girl most weekends. Plus it was nice to just relax on weekends sometimes. Going out is fun but doesn't relax you at all. In fact it just makes you more drained than you were before that haha.

Well as if today I'm single again. And I think after this last one I'm going to stay single for a while.

I find that I have plenty of time to go about doing the things that I like with about 20 hours outside of class time. Solid A/B student. Now just got to find a cute date to consume the rest of my time.