DAT scores weighed differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothimpression

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my cDAT scores back this week, and I'm wondering if there are certain schools (Canada/USA/Australia) that weigh certain portions of the DAT more than others?

My AA was 17, and my PAT score was 24. After combining my RC, Bio, Chem, and PAT scores I get an overall of 19. That being said, if there are some universities that weigh the PAT more heavily - my chances of getting accepted would increase.

Also, when applying to dental schools, do they take into account your total DAT score (19) or just the AA (17)?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

There was a post by @doc toothache that stated the rankings/prioritization of the DAT sections for various american schools, look that up. Unfortunately based on my app cycle this year, a 17 AA wont get you in anywhere within Canada. I also dont know anything about australia so I cant be of help in that sense. From what I read on SDN for AMERICAN SCHOOLS, there are people with similar DAT scores who HAVE gotten in, but they compensated for it with other factors like GPA and ECs. So I cannot tell you about your chances with DAT alone. However if you have the money and time, I'd recommend writing the american DAT this month before the application cycle starts in June.

Also I dont believe schools average the AA and PAT. It's usually AA + PAT, or AA + RC (reading comp) + PAT.

I also wrote the canadian DAT and am a canadian student applying to american schools this cycle, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me :).

The PAT score isn't averaged into the AA, it tends to be considered separately and I don't think too many schools prioritize it particularly high. The main score that's going to be considered is your AA. I agree that getting admitted in Canada (or even in the US) with a 17 AA is going to be pretty difficult - I'd definitely plan to retake.

UBC only looks at PAT and AA. Therefore a high PAT can outweigh a low AA. However, I feel that a 17AA is on the low side of things, even with that amazing (congrats by the way !) PAT score.