DAT Score differences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezzy’s hyperboloid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a difference between an AA of 25, 26, or 27 with respect to admission? I guess there's a similarity between these scores just given percentiles, but just looking for more thoughts on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AA 25, 26, 27 would get you into most schools with a good GPA, with a high GPA including a high Science GPA you would be looking at Ivy League, including Harvard. To answer your question, IMO, a 27 is higher than a 25 and if you are trying to get into a school with limited seats and very competitive, every little bit counts.

Hope this helps

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer, Orgoman

Reactions: 1 user
I think at that point the whole package matters more. At DAT’s of 25+ you have already shown you can handle the rigors of dental school, now they just want to make sure you are well rounded. A 25AA well rounded student will probably look better to adcoms than a 27AA weirdo.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't think it matters much for admissions purposes. Once you get into those percentiles (99+), the difference in scores may be determined by a single question. And echoing what the others said, a score that high already proves that the person is educationally qualified. Now they just need to make sure the rest of their app doesn't cancel out that score. :p

Overall, there is only a small difference between a 25, 26, and 27. According to the ADA's DAT Manual, 12,393 people took the exam in the year 2017. Out of this group, 167 scored a 25 (top 2.4%), 88 scored a 26 (top 0.97%), and 24 scored a 27 (top 0.26%). Scoring this high on the exam places you into a very good position at least on the academic side. Keep in mind that the process is a holistic review!
Source: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_users_manual.ashx