This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalprincesa24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I took my DAT a few months ago for the 2nd time and got a 16AA, which was worse than the 1st time I took it which was a 17AA.
I took it after submitting my app and got an interview for my in state school. Everything went great but I just got a call today that the admissions committee wants me to retake before MID JAN. It would be my 3rd time.. and I haven’t been preparing for it because I have been working 50+ per week, and taking 10 credit hours.. so I absolutely haven’t had any time.
My question is should I study very hard and take it by that date or should I just let it go this cycle and study as much as I need to and retake the DAT when I’m ready and reapply in June?
Would the school view this negatively? Btw, it’s my dream school and somewhere I have wanted to attend for years now. This is also my 2nd year applying. Last year I was denied w/o any interviews.

Please don’t post anything negative. I understand I’m a failure for doing worse the 2nd time around.. standardized exams are my worst niightmare and there are other personal factors that were involved. Please just give me advice if you have any, instead of bashing on my DAT score and experience.

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How did you study for the first two times? If you did study for the first two times and still struggled, it's not likely that you'll be prepared to do much better on the third time before mid-January. You can't risk bombing the test for the third time. You should retake when you're ready even if that will lead to you not getting in this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you study for the first two times? If you did study for the first two times and still struggled, it's not likely that you'll be prepared to do much better on the third time before mid-January. You can't risk bombing the test for the third time. You should retake when you're ready even if that will lead to you not getting in this cycle.
Yeah I studied but not very smart. I skipped over important sections and kinda ignored those.
Thanks for the advice.

I would say that if you truly believe you can buckle down and kill the DAT by mid january then you have a shot at getting in. Obviously your state school is interested. But, If you don't have the time to fully commit to studying and you aren't prepared to study the way you need to then you don't need to risk the third attempt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the hardest part about studying for the DAT is facing the toughest sections first. For example, I especially hate organic but I knew that's what I had to focus on the most since I tend to like the things I'm good at/understand, and I was NOT good at organic when I first started studying. Maybe it would be worth identifying those subjects that you loathe and set aside time to focus just on them. If that time isn't in your schedule now though, then I agree with Kou_KeiKi that you should retake when you're ready later.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I took my DAT a few months ago for the 2nd time and got a 16AA, which was worse than the 1st time I took it which was a 17AA.
I took it after submitting my app and got an interview for my in state school. Everything went great but I just got a call today that the admissions committee wants me to retake before MID JAN. It would be my 3rd time.. and I haven’t been preparing for it because I have been working 50+ per week, and taking 10 credit hours.. so I absolutely haven’t had any time.
My question is should I study very hard and take it by that date or should I just let it go this cycle and study as much as I need to and retake the DAT when I’m ready and reapply in June?
Would the school view this negatively? Btw, it’s my dream school and somewhere I have wanted to attend for years now. This is also my 2nd year applying. Last year I was denied w/o any interviews.

Please don’t post anything negative. I understand I’m a failure for doing worse the 2nd time around.. standardized exams are my worst niightmare and there are other personal factors that were involved. Please just give me advice if you have any, instead of bashing on my DAT score and experience.

Thank you all.
Hey, can you update me with what you choose to do. I’m in a very similar situation.

Yeah I studied but not very smart. I skipped over important sections and kinda ignored those.
Thanks for the advice.

Ya that's your downfall, you can't skip important sections. Don't worry just work hard and bounce back. I've seen people go from scores like yours to 20AA+ with hard work