DAT Retake opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalstudent22

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I took my DAT over the summer and plan on applying next cycle but was wondering if I should retake before then. ogpa: 3.4 sgpa: 3.3

AA: 20
TS:21
Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC: 22
PAT: 17
QR: 16
RC: 21

Members don't see this ad.

I heard QR is the least important section; everything else looks fine. If you really think you can improve your scores go for it but I think there was some data sheet on sdn that showed that most students don't improve their scores drastically but everyone is different.

Reactions: 1 user
My coworker got in with a 15QR (21AA though). This person had a 3.4ish undergrad and a 3.7ish masters. Hope that helps.

Personally I'd retake it unless you are willing to risk a gap year.

I wouldn't retake it. Just make sure everything else on your application is good and you will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
If that was my score, I would definitely retake especially with a subpar GPA, but the general opinion is that you should not. Of course, remember that EC and other stuff in your application matter as well.

In some schools I was interviewed, interviewers mentioned that they personally look at QR and PAT more than RC, as long as RC is above the cutoff.

So, it depends.

Why retake it? Your scores are good except the PAT and QR. The only thing that will hurt you is the PAT since no one really looks at QR these days. But thats not worth retaking in my opinion

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!
I took my DAT over the summer and plan on applying next cycle but was wondering if I should retake before then. ogpa: 3.4 sgpa: 3.3

AA: 20
TS:21
Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC: 22
PAT: 17
QR: 16
RC: 21

Very nice consistent scores, a lot depends on what school you want to attend. These scores will get you interviews in many schools, just make sure your application is in order and you have a strong personal statement. When in doubt call the schools, unfortunately with all my years of experience I do not have a crystal ball, but I do believe you have a strong chance with these scores.

wishing you the best....Nancy

I had VERY similar stats. 21 AA/TS, 23 RC, 16 qr and 18 PAT. 3.2 spga. I had no problem getting interviews or acceptances this cycle (3 pre dec and 3 post december interviews. Got accepted to all the places I interviewed at) I think you will be fine as long as you apply early and make sure the rest of your application is good

I had VERY similar stats. 21 AA/TS, 23 RC, 16 qr and 18 PAT. 3.2 spga. I had no problem getting interviews or acceptances this cycle (3 pre dec and 3 post december interviews. Got accepted to all the places I interviewed at) I think you will be fine as long as you apply early and make sure the rest of your application is good
Great! Thank you so much for your advice! Out of curiosity are you a traditional applicant? (coming straight out of undergrad)

If that was my score, I would definitely retake especially with a subpar GPA, but the general opinion is that you should not. Of course, remember that EC and other stuff in your application matter as well.

In some schools I was interviewed, interviewers mentioned that they personally look at QR and PAT more than RC, as long as RC is above the cutoff.

So, it depends.
Do you mind sharing which schools told you that RC is not that important to them?