DAT Destroyer Gen Chem #142

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Counselingdentist

LECOM D1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if someone can help me sort out my thoughts on #142 in 2016 DAT Destroyer. Question is "Which statement(s) is false? a) Ion-ion attractions are stronger than dispersion forces. b) Liquids assume a spherical shape because of surface tension c) CCl4 is a non-polar molecule that contains polar bonds d) Potassium iodide is a solid ionic salt that will conduct electricity when in the molten state e) all are true"

Answer is E.

I put B because I thought it was cohesion that makes liquids assume the spherical shape. I understand that surface tension and cohesion are related, but I'm having a hard time getting the concepts to shake out mentally beyond just memorization. The explanation states that "surface tension is the force that causes a liquid to contract, thus allows a water droplet to become spherical." I guess I associated surface tension with the ability of an insect to walk on water, which I suppose is also contracting water molecules. Anyone have a different explanation that may help sort it out in my brain?

Members don't see this ad.