dad's a foreign doctor wants to get back needs help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadinex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father got his MD from Kabul University, he still has all of his certification and everything. He is so smart, I am currently premed and he can help me with almost anything I come across.

Basically he came to the US in the 80s to flee from the detoriating Afghanistan but once he came to the US it wasnt as easy as he thought. He tried going back to school to get his boards, but he couldnt because he had a family to support and he needed to make money. He is now a limo driver. Went from being one of the smartest doctors in the US to a limo driver --- some say thats pretty epic. And it is.

But he still has soooo much passion for the field and he really wants to go back but how can you go about doing so? What prep courses should he take? Or is their an easier way, as long as he just still gets within that medical degree.

Members don't see this ad.

No way unless he passes USMLE I and II, and CS, and becomes ECFMG certified. He still has to complete a US residency after that.

Your dad has to do what the previous poster said.

He can also maybe also become a Physicians Assistant which should be easy for him to get into or he can maybe do nursing?

He can also try to get certification in another country which doesn't have the residency requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. No easy way. After thirty-ish years out of a foreign medical school, do you think there would be many other options?

Sure - getting ECFMG certified, taking the USMLE and applying for residency. It's essentially what he would be doing if went to the emigree program, only four years later.

It's hard enough for young foreign medical graduates with passing or even good scores on their USMLE's to get residency positions in relatively less competitive fields like Family Medicine nowadays.

Chances of an older foreign graduate getting a position here today are slim to none.