D.O. vs foreign MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh, this is miraculous

AUC actually posted numbers too

http://www.aucmed.edu/students/stprofile.htm

Now, let's just find one for Ross and we are good to go! I noticed you only mentioned SGU and AUC. What about Ross, they got numbers too?

Members don't see this ad.

daelroy said:
Well then you need to do a much better job ensuring accuracy because much of your stats is inaccurate. A quick check at the COMP, VCOM and PCOM websites confirm discrepancies from the ones your provided above and I provided URL's as evidence.

The stats were taken from US News. Believe whichever one you want. Maybe they have updated their stats?

daelroy said:
I'm curious as to how you acquired the entrance stats for SGU, Ross, and AUC since their own websites don't list them and U.S. News and World Report have never reported them either? How would you know if the discrepancy in MCAT scores isn't great considering you didn't even provide an MCAT score for SGU, Ross or AUC?

That's funny, because I got the numbers from THEIR WEBSITES. Have you ever tried looking? I guess you didn't see it, just like you didn't see SGU, Ross, and AUC's MCAT scores in my post.

daelroy said:
BTW-Lecom-PA does list it's stats. It's Bradenton campus didn't provide stats because it's new

When I compiled the database, LECOM-PA had refused to fill out the US News survey; they still haven't filled it out. I don't put a school's numbers in my database unless I am able to verify it with at least two sources.

daelroy said:

Maybe because you keep checking the ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS sections and never the student profile sections.

HERE:
http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Medicine/FirstTermEntrantsMed.htm

JKDmed

We are still waiting on those Ross stats? Gotta a link?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
novacek88 said:
Oh my gosh, this is miraculous

AUC actually posted numbers too

Now, let's just find one for Ross and we are good to go! I noticed you only mentioned SGU and AUC. What about Ross, they got numbers too?

I believe Ross actually doesn't put its numbers on their website; I've had to use other sources to get them.

dr.z said:
I personally don't care much about acceptance rates. I don't think it determines whether the school is good or not. I think every school is capable of producing competent physicians whether it be US MD, DO or foreign MD schools.

There are allopathic schools that accept more than 15% of their applicants
according to U.S. News Rankings:

University of North Dakota 40%
University of New Mexico 38.9%
University of Arkansas 21.5%
West Virginia University 15.5%
Northeastern Ohio University 16.8%
Wayne State Univesity 17.8%
University of Mississppi 49.6%
Medical University of South Carolina 15.2%
Univesity of Kansas 17.7%
Uniformed Service University 15.9%
University of Utah 15.4%
University of Oklahoma 22.8%
University of Kentucky 17.6%
University of Nebraska 18.6%
University of Nevada--Reno 26.1%
University of Cincinnati 15.2%
Medical College of Georgia 15.4%
University of Arizona 34.1%
Indiana University--Indianapolis 17.4%
University of Missouri--Columbia 20.0%
University of Massachusetts--Worcester 23.7%
correlation to the amount of "in-state" applicants? just curious. I know OK and MA (strictly) is instate, and was told MO and KY were as well. Others I'm not sure of. Additionally, this is only a small fraction of all the schools out there. Yes these are some but then it proves that the majority of schools have a lower percent of accepted applicants.

JKDMed said:
I believe Ross doesn't actually put its numbers on their website; I've had to use other sources to get them.

"Other sources" What the hell are those?

That’s it, because of the so many powerful and convincing arguments that “JKDMed” has made, I’m convinced. The admissions standards for caribbean schools are just as stringent as Harvard and John Hopkins, and D.O schools will accept all applicants, no questions asked.

frank51 said:
That’s it, because of the so many powerful and convincing arguments that “JKDMed” has made, I’m convinced. The Admissions standards for caribbean schools are just as stringent as Harvard and John Hopkins, and D.O schools will accept all applicants, no questions asked.

Yeah, because that's the point I'm trying to make. :rolleyes:

mshheaddoc said:
correlation to the amount of "in-state" applicants? just curious. I know OK and MA (strictly) is instate, and was told MO and KY were as well. Others I'm not sure of. Additionally, this is only a small fraction of all the schools out there. Yes these are some but then it proves that the majority of schools have a lower percent of accepted applicants.

Yeah but then it also gives you a major edge if you are an in-state applicant. I know if you are an Oklahoma resident, they accept almost half of all resident applicants they interview and they interivew close to 400. I know people in Oklahoma who only got into an Allopathic because they were residents of Oklahoma. Had they been a resident of a more competitive state like say New York, there is no way they are getting in. I knew a guy who got into OU on his second attempt with a 3.0 and a 27 MCAT. I know in AZ, it's the same way. If you are a resident with decent numbers, you will pretty much get in if you don't show up to your interview in a purple suit.

JKDMed said:
cum / sci / mcat / acceptance rate

Ross
3.20 / 3.20 / no idea / I'll assume your 65%

SGU
3.20 / 3.10 / 24 / no idea

AUC
3.10 / 2.90 / 22 / no idea

WVSOM
3.4 / 3.3 / 22 / 20.4%

PCSOM
3.4 / 3.3 / 23 / 25.6%

PCOM
3.32 / 3.22 / 24 / 13%

LECOM-PA
3.30 / 3.15 / 24 / NA

Western/COMP
3.35 / 3.26 / 24 / 20%

VCOM
3.20 / 3.20 / 24 / 22%

By the way, LECOM-PA and LECOM-Bradenton also refused to publish their admission stats.

By the way, Ross has an entering class of ~ 400 or so I believe. I'm sure they get more than 600 apps per year, so there's no way they accept 65% of applicants.

As I said, there isn't a huge difference between DO and Caribbean MD, especially with regard to the MCAT.

My source is my databse of school stats, which I have compiled from various sources such as US News, school websites, students, and other databases. I have always cross-referenced stats to ensure decent accuracy.

Finally some vaild data with all kinds of sources to back it up.....thanks for doing all that research. You can't expect people to take you seriously when you just throw up a bunch of numbers......and why do you care how close everything is?? are you at a foreign medical school and insecure about being there? are you even in school yet?

jkdmed

I will spell this out for you since you have trouble reading between the lines:

I think you made up those Ross numbers in your head which is why you can't provide any links to back them up

You have got to do a better job that cite "other sources"

jkdmed

Hello You still there? Waiting on those Ross sources...

novacek88 said:
Yeah but then it also gives you a major edge if you are an in-state applicant. I know if you are an Oklahoma resident, they accept almost half of all resident applicants they interview and they interivew close to 400. I know people in Oklahoma who only got into an Allopathic because they were residents of Oklahoma. Had they been a resident of a more competitive state like say New York, there is no way they are getting in. I knew a guy who got into OU on his second attempt with a 3.0 and a 27 MCAT. I know in AZ, it's the same way. If you are a resident with decent numbers, you will pretty much get in if you don't show up to your interview in a purple suit.
exactly. These state schools are going to have a higher acceptance rate but still a 40% acceptance? Either that school really is bad and noone is applying there, its in a bad area (which doesn't stop the gunners), or they accept only state students. Those areas don't seem to me to have a huge population of med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
exactly. These state schools are going to have a higher acceptance rate but still a 40% acceptance? Either that school really is bad and noone is applying there, its in a bad area (which doesn't stop the gunners), or they accept only state students. Those areas don't seem to me to have a huge population of med students.

Yeah, why not? If you are only accepting state residents and you don't have many applicants to compete with, it can be that high.

Let's put it this way, if I was a resident of Arizona, Oklahoma or Mississippi , I wouldn't have gone to AZCOM. And these are not the only states like this.

But let's not change the subject

To JKDMed

Ross numbers, URL's, proof...we are waiting?

novacek88 said:
Yeah, why not? If you are only accepting state residents and you don't have many applicants to compete with, it can be that high.

Let's put it this way, if I was a resident of Arizona, Oklahoma or Mississippi , I wouldn't have gone to AZCOM. And these are not the only states like this.
Its part of my master plan :smuggrin:

mshheaddoc said:
Its part of my master plan :smuggrin:

No joke, I should have moved to one of these states and do research for a year to get residency. Oh yeah, add Arkansas to that list too

And the only reason why OU has a 22% acceptance rate is because they accept 10 students or so from out of state and you have about a 1000 out of state applicants hoping to hit the lottery and be one of those coveted 10 or so students. Arkansas is like this too. If you are a resident, you are pretty good to go.

novacek88 said:
No joke, I should have moved to one of these states and do research for a year to get residency. Oh yeah, add Arkansas to that list too

And the only reason why OU has a 22% acceptance rate is because they accept 10 students or so from out of state and you have about a 1000 out of state applicants hoping to hit the lottery and be one of those coveted 10 or so students. Arkansas is like this too. If you are a resident, you are pretty good to go.
Exactly. I found myself a nice little okie to marry prior to submitting my application ;) *crosses fingers* Not that I'm marrying him because of that, but having 2 state schools is a bonus for me. :thumbup: I'll take a 30% chance of in-state rather than 10% chance out-of-state or any other schools.

Not to change the subject again. Back to JKD and carribbean schools.

[/QUOTE]The stats were taken from US News. Believe whichever one you want.
USnews seems to be often unreliable; gotta put your $$ on the primary source here.

Anyway...goshhh those numbers are low.

I know in AZ, it's the same way. If you are a resident with decent numbers, you will pretty much get in if you don't show up to your interview in a purple suit.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, my ASU grad friend applied to U of A as an AZ resident with a 4.0/4.0/30MCAT and got rejected after interview oddly enough...Got accepted to other schools so doubtful it was his interview...Although I do agree that is badass that U of A only takes their residents..

novacek88 said:
But let's not change the subject

To JKDMed

Ross numbers, URL's, proof...we are waiting?

Don't reply back to him JKDmed, he just feels dumb bc u ve provided him with proof for almost all of your arguments, and now hes picking at the one point you havent gotten back at him with. Brilliant actually, could make lucrative career out of law. :laugh:

NRAI2001 said:
Don't reply back to him JKDmed, he just feels dumb bc u ve provided him with proof for almost :thumbup: all of your arguments, and now hes picking at the one point you havent gotten back at him with. Brilliant actually, could make lucrative career out of law. :laugh:

the key word being almost :smuggrin:

Let me give you a healthy dose of reality. Both of you just got destroyed. First you got taken apart with your weak "DO gpa's are inflated." Then Daelroy exposed JKmed when he proved his numbers for the DO schools he quoted were wrong. Then JKmed has the nerve to say he got his Ross numbers from "outside sources". Please, the only reason you are backing him up is because he was the only one who backed you up.

But please continue, you are entertaining :laugh:

But I digress

JKmed

We are still waiting for those urls on your Ross numbers :D

HoodyHoo said:
Finally some vaild data with all kinds of sources to back it up.....thanks for doing all that research. You can't expect people to take you seriously when you just throw up a bunch of numbers......and why do you care how close everything is?? are you at a foreign medical school and insecure about being there? are you even in school yet?

Since my background may put it into context, no I'm not in school yet. I'm actually very excited about DO schools and had interviews last year. I'd most certainly prefer to attend DO over Caribbean and I'm applying to both. However, I really don't think there is a huge difference between the two types of schools.

My decision was based on my interactions with DOs and that carib students don't qualify for HPSP.

NRAI2001 said:
Brilliant actually, could make lucrative career out of law. :laugh:

Interestingly enough, most people say I should be going into law and not medicine. Most have said I'd make a good doctor, but an awesome lawyer. My VR MCAT only supports this hypothesis.

novacek88 said:
the key word being almost :smuggrin:

Let me give you a healthy dose of reality. Both of you just got destroyed. First you got taken apart with your weak "DO gpa's are inflated." Then Daelroy exposed JKmed when he proved his numbers for the DO schools he quoted were wrong. Then JKmed has the nerve to say he got his Ross numbers from "outside sources". Please, the only reason you are backing him up is because he was the only one who backed you up.

But please continue, you are entertaining :laugh:

Ok, you have the bigger e-penis. But my argument is still right. I'll put my argument in bold so you can ****ing understand it.

There is not a huge difference in the admission standards of Caribbean MD and DO schools, particularly with regard to average MCAT scores.

I have provided all the evidence necessary to support this argument. True, this is a larger difference in GPA (~ 0.20 of a point in each. After all, I said SIMILAR) but average MCAT is practically the same across the board.

JKDMed said:
Interestingly enough, most people say I should be going into law and not medicine. Most have said I'd make a good doctor, but an awesome lawyer. My VR MCAT only supports this hypothesis.

I doubt it. Courts of law do not accept "outside sources" as evidence to a claim nor do they tolerate one who throws up unresearched statistics. Shall I remind you of the osteopathic numbers you provided without any urls to back them up only to have someone to provide the correct data

Oh yeah, and we are still waiting to hear where you got your numbers on Ross? Please don't say outside sources again. Cmon Perry Mason, you can do better than that.

JKDMed said:
Ok, you have the bigger e-penis. But my argument is still right. I'll put my argument in bold so you can ****ing understand it.

There is not a huge difference in the admission standards of Caribbean MD and DO schools, particularly with regard to average MCAT scores.

I have provided all the evidence necessary to support this argument. True, this is a larger difference in GPA (~ 0.20 of a point in each. After all, I said SIMILAR) but average MCAT is practically the same across the board.

Huh?

You compared the very bottom DO schools to the top 3 carib schools. Of those top 3 schools, you were unable to cite a credible source for one of them (Ross). And even with this finding, you found a difference in GPA to be 0.2 on a 4.0 scale which resembles the average discrepancy in GPA between allopathic and osteopathic schools. That would be like comparing the top DO schools with the very worst allopathic schools and then claiming that osteopathic schools have better admission standards.

novacek88 said:
I doubt it. Courts of law do not accept "outside sources" as evidence to a claim nor do they tolerate one who throws up unresearched statistics. Shall I remind you of the osteopathic numbers you provided without any urls to back them up only to have someone to provide the correct data

Oh yeah, and we are still waiting to hear where you got your numbers on Ross? Please don't say outside sources again. Cmon Perry Mason, you can do better than that.

Dude, get the **** over it already. I didn't write down all my sources when I compiled the database so I can appease ignorant jackasses like you on a forum. I knew where they came from at the time and that's all that matter.

If they weren't right, I wouldn't have used them last year to get 3 interviews out of 3 applications.

JKDMed said:
Dude, get the **** over it already. I didn't write down all my sources when I compiled the database so I can appease ignorant jackasses like you on a forum. I knew where they came from at the time and that's all that matter.

If they weren't right, I wouldn't have used them last year to get 3 interviews out of 3 applications.

This just in...the average GPA at Ross is a 2.1. No, I can't provide a URL. You will just have to trust my "outside sources." And for some reason, I just can't happen to remember any of my sources either but none of this should matter because I'm right.

:laugh:

JKDMed said:

What does this have to do with getting interviews? You don't have to know a school's admission numbers to get an interview

mr.weirdscience said:
Huh?

You compared the very bottom DO schools to the top 3 carib schools. Of those top 3 schools, you were unable to cite a credible source for one of them (Ross). And even with this finding, you found a difference in GPA to be 0.2 on a 4.0 scale which resembles the average discrepancy in GPA between allopathic and osteopathic schools. That would be like comparing the top DO schools with the very worst allopathic schools and then claiming that osteopathic schools have better admission standards.

You summed up the flaws with his argument quite well. Nothing really more needs to be said.

daelroy said:
You summed up the flaws with his argument quite well. Nothing really more needs to be said.

Thanks, I just feel the only fair way to compare admission standards between Caribbean and DO schools would be to account for all schools in each category. And even if you included just AUC, Ross and SGU, you would have to compare them to the admission standards of all osteopathic schools. You can't just select certain osteopathic schools and then issue a blanket statement that Caribbean and Osteopathic schools have similar admission standards. That would be like if one compared MSUCOM, TCOM and OSUCOM with Howard, Meharry and Morehouse and then made conclusions based on that study.

HoodyHoo said:

Mr MCAT Verbal didn't detect your sarcasm with this response. He thought you were patting him on the back. :laugh:

mr.weirdscience said:
What does this have to do with getting interviews? You don't have to know a school's admission numbers to get an interview

Knowing admission stats has a lot to do with getting interviews. Have you ever even applied? Blindly applying to schools without knowing how you stand against their average numbers would be pretty damned stupid. You find the numbers for schools and apply, base on your own numbers, to schools that are closely related so you don't waste money and increase your chances of getting in.

Having said that, it would be foolish of me to base my admisison stat database upon numbers I pulled out of my ass, wouldn't it? And considering I was able to land 3 interviews out of 3 applications, I would say the numbers I have are pretty damned accurate, despite the idiotic whining about "sources" from some of you.

Why not try using a bit of LOGIC to reach a conclusion instead of pestering someone to spoon-feed you every bit of information? I guess that's the fault of the higher education system.

JKDMed said:

Don't worry about novacek, in a few weeks he ll start sixth grade, and then he won't be on SDN 24 7 any more.

JKDMed said:
Knowing admission stats has a lot to do with getting interviews. Have you ever even applied? Blindly applying to schools without knowing how you stand against their average numbers would be pretty damned stupid. You find the numbers for schools and apply, base on your own numbers, to schools that are closely related so you don't waste money and increase your chances of getting in.

The Caribbean schools have the lowest admission standards of any medical school including osteopathic schools. If you meet the mean for some osteopathic schools, then it's only logical to assume that you are going to meet the mean of Caribbean schools without having to know what their exact numbers are. And you knew SGU's admission stats. SGU is more selective than Ross. Therefore, do you really need to know what Ross' stats are? I'm assuming you don't know what the entrance statistics are for Ross. You are probably estimating Ross' statistics based on SGU and AUC's numbers. There is nothing wrong with doing this but you should admit it instead of claiming you know information you don't.

The point is your acceptance to Ross in no way confirms you knew their admission stats. It's well known Ross doesn't publish it's entrance stats, which never prevented thousands of people from attending it in the past.

And yes, I was recently admitted to my state allopathic school after being admitted to several osteopathic schools.

NRAI2001 said:
Don't worry about novacek, in a few weeks he ll start sixth grade, and then he won't be on SDN 24 7 any more.

This is coming from a guy who joined all the way back in 2001 and has over 1000 posts. I'm suprised they didn't make you the moderator of the Re-applicant forum. Did you finally get in somwhere or are you still re-applying?

mr.weirdscience said:
The Caribbean schools have the lowest admission standards of any medical school including osteopathic schools. If you meet the mean for some osteopathic schools, then it's only logical to assume that you are going to meet the mean of Caribbean schools without having to know what their exact numbers are. And you knew SGU's admission stats. SGU is more selective than Ross. Therefore, do you really need to know what Ross' stats are? I'm assuming you don't know what the entrance statistics are for Ross. You are probably estimating Ross' statistics based on SGU and AUC's numbers. There is nothing wrong with doing this but you should admit it instead of claiming you know information you don't.

The point is your acceptance to those schools in no way confirms you knew their admission stats. Because it is well known fact those schools didn't always provide their admission statistics, which didn't prevent thousands of people from attending them in the past.

And yes, I was recently admitted to my state allopathic school after being admitted to several osteopathic schools.

A) You are assuming incorrectly. I didn't make the numbers up. I have the numbers, I compiled them a year or so ago. I didn't document every source because it was for personal use; I didn't write every source down because I didn't need to.

B) I'm not claiming to know something I don't.

C) I haven't been accepted to those schools. I don't know where you got this. Maybe you should go back and read what I wrote. The interviews I had were from DO schools.

novacek88 said:
This is coming from a guy who joined all the way back in 2001 and has over 1000 posts. I'm suprised they didn't make you the moderator of the Re-applicant forum. Did you finally get in somwhere or are you still re-applying?

I joined back in 2001 as a freshmen, and this is the first year I am applying. Its not me that has like every other post on this thread.

I m going to say this once again, I never meant to bash DO schools. I replied when I noticed that some people were bashing the carrib. schools. There are exceptions here and there, but for the most part DO schools and carrib. schools have similar stats and except for a very few people, both were peoples second choices.

For me, more than likely I will go to a DO school. Hopefully Western COMP. :thumbup:

JKDMed said:
A) You are assuming incorrectly. I didn't make the numbers up. I have the numbers, I compiled them a year or so ago. I didn't document every source because it was for personal use; I didn't write every source down because I didn't need to.

B) I'm not claiming to know something I don't.

C) I haven't been accepted to those schools. I don't know where you got this. Maybe you should go back and read what I wrote. The interviews I had were from DO schools.

A. People are only inquiring how you acquired the admission stats for Ross. You can't remember the magazine, book or friend who provided you with this information? Is it that difficult to remember? If you are trying to develop credibility on this thread, you will have an easier time doing that by supporting your statements with reliable sources. Granted, a friend isn't really a reliable source but at least it would have been more believable than claiming you have sources and nothing more.

B. Okay

Anyway, I don't fault you for being off with your numbers. The school's websites are updated. U.S. News' reports statistics from the previous year. However, if you are going to compare statistics between schools, you should see to it that you are accurate by double checking your sources ie: check the school's homepage

mr.weirdscience said:
Thanks, I just feel the only fair way to compare admission standards between Caribbean and DO schools would be to account for all schools in each category. And even if you included just AUC, Ross and SGU, you would have to compare them to the admission standards of all osteopathic schools. You can't just select certain osteopathic schools and then issue a blanket statement that Caribbean and Osteopathic schools have similar admission standards. That would be like if one compared MSUCOM, TCOM and OSUCOM with Howard, Meharry and Morehouse and then made conclusions based on that study.

I agree, using such interpretation would lead to the conclusion that D.O schools have tougher admissions standards than M.D schools, which is false. JKDMed, if you are a reasonable person you’ll see the error in your logic and wont argue your point any further. As others have mentioned, you are comparing the weakest D.O schools to the best caribbean schools and concluding that the admissions standards are comparable, what’s sad is that even the weakest D.O schools are still somewhat tougher to get accepted to than the best caribbean schools.

I am going on a rant here, but I think all this number talk should stop.

Here it is the way I see it. People get into allopathic, osteopathic, FMD schools for a number of reasons.

1) Some have political conections, sub average grades still get in osteo or allo
2) Some did so bad in undergrad classes the FMD is their only chance, and maybe they succeed, if they do kudos to them.
3) Some really like the DO philosophy and choose osteopathy.
4) Some didn't get into allo and had to settle for osteo.
5) Some have low stats because non-trad came back later in life kicked ass and proved they were capable despite low GPA dont care about osteo or allo just want to be a damn doctor and dont have the ego.

My point is this, no matter what the schools stats are or what someones number's are there is a reason why they are in medical school, and the number one reason should be their desire to be a doctor. Each person who applys has a unique story all you people on SDN dont know and frankly a GPA of 3.4 and 3.6 is something so trivial to your patients you shouldnt be arguing about stats. The real debate should be, who trains the best doctors. Someone with a 4.0 and 38 on the MCAT might be a terrible doctor or a great one. Same can be said for someone with a 3.3 and a 27 MCAT. The numbers keep the 3.3 guy out, but that doesn't mean he wouldnt have been a great doctor, so lets say some less numbers based programs gives the 3.3er a chance and he turns out to care for and be respected by as many people as the 4.0 guy. In the end it makes no difference, you just need to get in somewhere and make the most of it. And when you choose a school, make sure you choose one that doctors say, produces good doctors. Thats all that matters in the end. We should all want to be great doctors, and if a school provides us with the opportunity to learn how to become doctors we should make the most of it, try or hardest and become great doctors for our patients. If you went to UT SW or TCOM your patients dont care, they just want to feel better and feel like you care about their well being. If you make them feel that way word of mouth will spread about you and you will be able to perform your job as a doctor. The place you got the degree from is not that important, unless you want to do research, then it matters.

Why are you guys arguing about something so stupid?

DO's and US students going to foreign medical schools are all MD rejects anyways. It's like two losers arguing about whether a Yugo is better than a Geo. They both suck.

I keep on hearing the argument that a person with a GPA of 3.8 and a 39S on the MCAT would not necessarily make a better doctor than a person with a 3.4 and a 25O. Please!!! Are you saying that the janitor at my school would make a good DO candidate then? The average person respects doctors (MD's) because they know the difficulty in becoming a doctor. It is more than just hard work. It is the combination of superb grades, high MCAT scores, and the ability to socialize that make real doctors (MD's). If you take away the good grades and the high MCAT scores, you end up with a car salesman.

When I am in the hospital for an emergency, I don't need some slick ******* trying to find out what is wrong with me. I want someone intelligent who can quickly identify the problem or improvise a solution to my problem.

If I wanted to gamble with my life, then I would go to a DO or a foreign medical student.

unbiasedopinion said:

DO's and US students going to foreign medical schools are all MD rejects anyways. It's like two losers arguing about whether a Yugo is better than a Geo. They both suck.

I keep on hearing the argument that a person with a GPA of 3.8 and a 39S on the MCAT would not necessarily make a better doctor than a person with a 3.4 and a 25O. Please!!! Are you saying that the janitor at my school would make a good DO candidate then? The average person respects doctors (MD's) because they know the difficulty in becoming a doctor. It is more than just hard work. It is the combination of superb grades, high MCAT scores, and the ability to socialize that make real doctors (MD's). If you take away the good grades and the high MCAT scores, you end up with a car salesman.

When I am in the hospital for an emergency, I don't need some slick ******* trying to find out what is wrong with me. I want someone intelligent who can quickly identify the problem or improvise a solution to my problem.

If I wanted to gamble with my life, then I would go to a DO or a foreign medical student.

:laugh: this guy is funny, last thing we needed is this high school kid posting such comments, I think mods should close this thread now.

Holistic said:
I am going on a rant here, but I think all this number talk should stop.

Here it is the way I see it. People get into allopathic, osteopathic, FMD schools for a number of reasons.

1) Some have political conections, sub average grades still get in osteo or allo
2) Some did so bad in undergrad classes the FMD is their only chance, and maybe they succeed, if they do kudos to them.
3) Some really like the DO philosophy and choose osteopathy.
4) Some didn't get into allo and had to settle for osteo.
5) Some have low stats because non-trad came back later in life kicked ass and proved they were capable despite low GPA dont care about osteo or allo just want to be a damn doctor and dont have the ego.
I agree with the spirit of what you're saying but you make a couple of assumptions in your post. The term FMD seems to be used for all foreign med schools, not just one subgroup. And some foreign med schools have higher admissions cut-offs than most US allo schools. I'm not saying this makes them better doctors, but the grades students need to get in are sometimes very high.

Just something to think about.

unbiasedopinion said:

I keep on hearing the argument that a person with a GPA of 3.8 and a 39S on the MCAT would not necessarily make a better doctor than a person with a 3.4 and a 25O...
???
Sometimes a 3.8 gpa isn't enough to get into some foreign med schools.

unbiasedopinion said:

Wow, you sir, are an idiot. As an MD (trained at the University of Illinois, since it seems to matter to you) and as an emergency physician, you have no idea what you are talking about. Several of the recent national presidents (and quite a few of the state chapter presidents) of the American College of Emergency Physicians are DOs. I somehow doubt you can find many major emergency departments without DOs in the leadership. Quite opposite from "slick *******es", they are actually quite proficient physicians who would be more than capable of fixing any emergent problem you have. As for treating your mental ******ation, well unfortunately I think that ship has already sailed.

As for "foreign" medical graduates, I have had the pleasure of training alongside several fine physicians who trained outside the U.S., including the Chief Medical Officer for the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic, an emergency physician who ran the European Community Humanity Organization (ECHO) medical relief effort in Bosnia, and two other "foreigners" in the states to train in emergency medicine in order to start formal EM training programs in their respective countries. They too would be more than able to assist you with any medical problems, but don't worry, your stupidity would still be yours alone.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Wow, you sir, are an idiot. As an MD (trained at the University of Illinois, since it seems to matter to you) and as an emergency physician, you have no idea what you are talking about. Several of the recent national presidents (and quite a few of the state chapter presidents) of the American College of Emergency Physicians are DOs. I somehow doubt you can find many major emergency departments without DOs in the leadership. Quite opposite from "slick *******es", they are actually quite proficient physicians who would be more than capable of fixing any emergent problem you have. As for treating your mental ******ation, well unfortunately I think that ship has already sailed.

As for "foreign" medical graduates, I have had the pleasure of training alongside several fine physicians who trained outside the U.S., including the Chief Medical Officer for the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic, an emergency physician who ran the European Community Humanity Organization (ECHO) medical relief effort in Bosnia, and two other "foreigners" in the states to train in emergency medicine in order to start formal EM training programs in their respective countries. They too would be more than able to assist you with any medical problems, but don't worry, your stupidity would still be yours alone.

- H
well said!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.