CVS the worst company in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They used to give the raise in September. Then a few years ago they moved it to the end of May. I was not aware they moved back. I'll check it out.

It is just one of those things - I was expecting my raise at the begining of summer and am now being told I won't get one until school starts. I have worked over a year now with no raise. It is pretty annoying. Way to reward your workforce. :rolleyes:

In the grand scheme of things, what is a buck fifty an hour? Not that much. But when you are expecting a raise and instead get the shaft, well it does not lead to high moral.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it's a shame not getting a .50 to a dollar raise wasted a whole pharmacy school year for you. Maybe next year you'll get a raise and possibly learn something as well :smuggrin:

Yeah the raise is minor (1.50/hr) but it is the principle of the matter. I was expecting a raise and instead got nothing. Do I not have more value than I did last year? It is just a rescheduling of the intern pay increases - but it means I won't get a raise this summer. When you are a summer intern that equates to going an entire year without a raise.

Interns do not get merit raises (I wish we did) - our rates are determined by our school year. So basically CVS is saying my last school year holds no value - they are paying me the same as last year. Plus they waited until the program began to tell us. Granted I could have asked beforehand, but it didn't occur to me that I should. I figured I would get my scheduled increase on time.

They used to pay you based on the year you are in. That means the raises used to start in September when you actually entered the next year. A few years ago they moved it to June 1 and this year they moved it back to August. These decisions are made way above my pay grade and I have no idea why.

Members don't see this ad :)
They used to pay you based on the year you are in. That means the raises used to start in September when you actually entered the next year. A few years ago they moved it to June 1 and this year they moved it back to August. These decisions are made way above my pay grade and I have no idea why.

It's ok Old Timer, I was not blaming you personally.

Last edited:
I went ahead and removed the store number from my post but it's still quoted in yours Jabber :p.

Honestly, I only did so because of the recommendation to do so. If someone doesn't like it oh well. I'm not gonna keep quiet about companies that treated me poorly and I never plan to work for CVS again.

... Here I am saying this now I'll probably be defending them and working for them after school :laugh:.

Don't burn bridges, especially as early as you are in your career.

Plenty of higher ups at CVS read this board. My DM talked to me about a post I made on here that I shouldn't have about my store, and I gave absolutely no identifying details in my post. I made other posts saying the chain I work for and what area of the country I'm in, so based on that and the general details of the incident I described, somebody discovered it was me and my DM got wind of it.

Posting your exact store number is making it way too easy. Watch your step.

Don't burn bridges, especially as early as you are in your career.

Plenty of higher ups at CVS read this board. My DM talked to me about a post I made on here that I shouldn't have about my store, and I gave absolutely no identifying details in my post. I made other posts saying the chain I work for and what area of the country I'm in, so based on that and the general details of the incident I described, somebody discovered it was me and my DM got wind of it.

Posting your exact store number is making it way too easy. Watch your step.

I agree to a point and I appreciate people on this board watching my back. I would hope that the person that read my profile realized I wasn't crucifying CVS vs other pharmacy chains, which I don't have any experience with.

That said, I don't want to have something come back to bite me in the rear one day, BUT it's not my fault that CVS runs their business in my area so poorly. If they don't like what I have to say maybe they should fix it. Too few people are willing to stand up against companies out of fear like this. I saw and experienced pharmacists and techs being absolutely overwhelmed with the volume of customers and scripts. I saw a lot of mistakes made, a lot of very dangerous ones made as well. If that's what that bridge would hold for me, maybe it's better off to let it burn. All they could see was that we were somehow getting it done and keeping the store going and their profit kept rising. All the while, we were getting screwed, wage freezes, not paid for time worked and countless other crap. I would gladly say this to their face...

EDIT: I wanted to add that despite how my posts may sound I wanted to see CVS do well. They are what got me started on this path and where I had hoped I would end up interning during school. The problem in my store was simply them refusing to give us more help. Pharmacist overlap helped a little when we finally got it, but it wasn't a pharmacists skills that were really needed. They were essentially paying a tech 100K plus because one pharmacist would always be helping count or input data. We could have had 3-4 techs full-time instead of that. What the higher-ups didn't see behind those profit numbers were all the customers that were getting fed up with the errors being made and techs that were constantly frustrated and how they were alienating their own workers. The staff and pharmacists I worked with their were superb though! In fact, I am glad I worked in that store because I'm prepared for just about anything now lol.

Last edited:
In my short period of working as a CVS intern, I worked in 6 different stores from 3 different states. Those stores included the best store, the worst store, the slowest store, the busiest store, a "rich" store and also a "ghetto" store. All I can tell you is that a store makes a big difference. Luckily for me, I started out in the best store in the district. It can be very overwhelming when you start out as nobody has time to teach you anything. It was not until I started in the worst store of the district that I learned anything. After I became a grad intern, I worked there for another 2 months and never got grad intern pay. I transferred out of the district and never saw that backpay that I was promised. I can't expect much since I didn't stay in the district, so the supervisor didn't really care. I was eating up his intern hours, so I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

That said, I don't want to have something come back to bite me in the rear one day, BUT it's not my fault that CVS runs their business in my area so poorly.

No, But you do control what comes out of your mouth (or keyboard). Just because something is true does not mean it should be said. Just because something should be said does not mean it should be said on line. You showed poor judgement and a lack of professionalism. It reflects on you.

I work for CVS as an associate right now (I was promised to be a trained tech over a month ago :/). Yesterday, the store manager complained to the pharmacist and the techs that their scan rate was lower than the company average for roughly 30 minutes. They just stood there and nodded in the most servile fashion.

I can't believe that I'm already having doubts about retail pharmacy when it's the reason I went into the profession. I feel as though the lack of power on the pharmacist side is a little daunting.

I work for CVS as an associate right now (I was promised to be a trained tech over a month ago :/). Yesterday, the store manager complained to the pharmacist and the techs that their scan rate was lower than the company average for roughly 30 minutes. They just stood there and nodded in the most servile fashion.

I can't believe that I'm already having doubts about retail pharmacy when it's the reason I went into the profession. I feel as though the lack of power on the pharmacist side is a little daunting.

How should the pharmacist have handled it?

Haha, I like that. Overly antagonistic perhaps, but that is a great line when front store tries to overstep.

If the FSM is going to try to treat me like dirt in front of my staff, then they get what is coming to them....

What are you supposed to do when the idiots from the front end come back and try and get in your business? Just nod your head and smile and continue what you were doing.

No, But you do control what comes out of your mouth (or keyboard). Just because something is true does not mean it should be said. Just because something should be said does not mean it should be said on line. You showed poor judgement and a lack of professionalism. It reflects on you.

Calling someone out because they do things improperly and endanger peoples lives in the process is not unprofessional... at least not in the profession I'm going into. And people not saying truths when they should be said is the reason it's still happening. So, I'll remain unprofessional I guess while you satisfy the masses.

I feel for the front guys...their ratings are partially based on our performance, yet they have no authority over us. If you suck at your jo, they could easily resent you.

I feel for the front guys...their ratings are partially based on our performance, yet they have no authority over us. If you suck at your jo, they could easily resent you.

That applies to every job.