CVS the worst company in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What the hell are you talking about? Answer the ****ing question idiot. You have failed to answer any question anyone has posed to you in any thread. All you do is keep repeating the same BS CVS propaganda they have you brain washed with.

Oh in the other thread I throughly handed you your ass concerning the ridiculous comparison you made between CVS and Doughertys.

IT IS NOT ABOUT VOLUME!!!! IT IS ABOUT THE STAFFFING YOU ARE ALLOWED AND THE CULTURE OF THE COMPANY. PLEASE GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD.

NOW ANSWER MY ****ING QUESTIONS IDIOT!
Wow- this is just proof of how unstable you are- if you are swearing and yelling at me in on an internet forum than I can imagine how you are in a retail setting. Is this how you respond to your customers who have problems?

Members don't see this ad.

Really, I don't see the point of continuing this discussion.:nono:
I agree topics like this are just as pointless of discussing if Bush or Obama were/are good Presidents or if abortion is right or wrong- every has their own opinion, but as a 6 years plus employee of CVS who has been through the trenches and goes to work everyday I am not going to sit idle while MountainPharmD who doesn't even worked for the company or has ever worked for the company profess to be God and tell me that my company is destroying Pharmacy because his buddies told him that CVS has him doing 600 scripts by himself and he has a temper tantrum every time I speak of great things with CVS- if you noticed I never attacked where he works because honestly I have no idea where he works- h has sent me clues that he works or worked in the DFW area which is a market that CVS dominates- but perhaps Mountain has an independent pharmacy that is losing business to CVS so he's angry that CVS is destroying his business, but I can't for the life of me understand how one person gets so ticked off about a company that he doesn't and never even worked for- it's truly comical to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to tell you that CVS Pharmacy really don't seem to care about "patient care".

I went on an interview a month ago to be hired postgrad next year. The questions they asked did not test if I was going to be a good pharmacist in a health care stand point, but rather, if I could execute CVS business aspects.

For example, LITERALLY asked me,

- "What's your triple S score?"
- "If your triple S score is low but your KPM score is above target, how can you change your work flow to make both scores above target?"
- "Why is scanning Extracare cards important?" (seriously??? wtf?)
- "How long do you need to stay on the phone for the call to count in an adherence call?"
- "Tell me a time where you showed outstanding patient care? (please include CVS grading parameters/programs)

+ more B.S.

^
Is this how they choose pharmacist? Whether or not I could BS the system to get a passing grade on a report card that ONLY CVS cares about? These report cards aren't given to patients. Nor are they something pharmacy organizations use to compare you to other chains. Its just another ******ed stress factor for pharmacy personnel...

I'm actually kind of offended as a future pharmacist that they ask things so distasteful. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO SCAN EXTRACARE CARDS? wtf. The answer is "to feed this greedy ass company some more money?"

I'm sure all other retail chains have their issues, but I went on rotations at Rite Aid, and honestly, the environment was so much better. Prior to them adding "15 min wait time rules", time wasn't a factor and business/scores were the least of their worries.

So yeah, to me, CVS- worst company. And I work for them.

======

Why are there arguments around this topic?

Take a chill pill....

If you're letting CVS get the best of you like this, than that's a problem.

I get that we're online and freedom of speech and all of that---but be civil. Be professional........... Argument is healthy, but cursing and screaming is not.

I've seen that too in CVS. Where one customer got upset because his narcotic script wasn't filled. The pharm didn't feel it was legit, he later was told by the DM that he should have filled it. He didn't, though, he told the DM that that would be his license. So the DM just got another pharm to fill it. The only time I have seen some pharmacists take breaks is when there is a period of no or few customers. In a busy store, forget about it, ud better bring your lunch, or ask one of your techs to get it for you.

A new low for CVS? No food or drink in the pharmacy :confused:

A new low for CVS? No food or drink in the pharmacy :confused:

Why would you have food/drink in the work area anyway? We don't have food/drink in the IV room either. Don't you have a back room/counter where you can keep drinks/snacks? I only worked retail at one place and we had a fridge/eating area for employees so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I guess if it is a super busy store and you don't get breaks, that would be horrible. I can't imagine them telling you no water though...

my new manager got bitched by DM for low KPM and SSS score. She is thinking about calling the number by herself. she wants us to throw away the receipt if customer seems angry. lol :confused:

my new manager got bitched by DM for low KPM and SSS score. She is thinking about calling the number by herself. she wants us to throw away the receipt if customer seems angry. lol :confused:

Each phone number is only good once every (I think) 90 days, so the trick is anytime it prints, rip it off before handing the receipt over. Then when you get customers that are happy, give it to them and ask them to give you all 5's. Also solicit friends and family to call the number once every so often. Never, ever give one to a customer that seems angry.

God forbid someone actually do their job and a program be implemented the way it is meant to be.

I work for CVS but they broke my contract....I signed up for 44 hour work weeks but because of the bad economy stores are cutting hours back so I only get 39 hour base. That is the only quirk I have with them. Also I wish i had a break but you learn to give yourself a break and manage the technicians so they can give you 10 min or up to an hour of downtime where you don't have to do anything but waiters. And even then, you can lie and push back waiters and tell them it's going to take longer then the time you can actually get it out to them.

But my HR person is good in that she calls me if there is anytime I wanted to float to a store and pick up more hours+overtime pay. Overtime for me is anything above my 39 hour base (which is EASY to achieve and good money I can easily do 50 hour weeks no problem if i wanted to, only thing holding me back is my life and g/f who we like to spend time with eachother more then $$)

And now that my PIC quit to work at an independent I get more hours and OT pay. Probably would have been smarter of them to keep me at the 44 hour base but shhh :).

I can schedule as little or as much flu clinics in the community as I want and get paid for them. I don't really care about the dumb KPM/SSS scores. We are top in our district. I really care about my patients and scores go up accordingly, I don't mind calling patients to see why there meds have been here for a week-I want to know if i can make it cheaper/get alternative/or return it to stock because they are on vacation for a month. When the techs make there calls sometimes patients no longer taking the medication so we inactivate it, or we have a lot of elderly patients that do just honestly forget to fill their meds and need them.

I like cvs's healthcare insurance/prescription/dental/eyeglass insurance and employeee 401k. I have not yet used the Employee stock purchasing plan but might try it once i do more research on the market.

The only thing I don't like is corporate...but who doesn't like big corporations these days. I also don't like the fact that they don't invest in technology except for high volume stores, i felt like I was going back to the stone age when I found out my pharmacy hand counts all their scripts. CVS is just my stepping stone for my plans of what I want to do.

I think having a say in choosing your technicians also creates an environment that you are comfortable with and helps develop the pharmacy the way you see fit.

EDIT: our time to answer is 48 seconds at our store...so what--no one ever gives me crap for this...month before it was 38 sec...I will never answer the phone in 20 sec or less. If a DM or pharmacy sup ever brought this up with me I would give thema mouthful, but maybe that's why they don't, this clown can turn evil in a heart beat :D

Last edited:
Each phone number is only good once every (I think) 90 days, so the trick is anytime it prints, rip it off before handing the receipt over. Then when you get customers that are happy, give it to them and ask them to give you all 5's. Also solicit friends and family to call the number once every so often. Never, ever give one to a customer that seems angry.

God forbid someone actually do their job and a program be implemented the way it is meant to be.

All it takes is a few good phone calls and were golden in terms of scores. I agree with everything above. :laugh:

All it takes is a few good phone calls and were golden in terms of scores. I agree with everything above. :laugh:

The biggest thing is to make sure they understand that only 5's count. Many people think that a 4 is a good score, it is imperative that they know you only get credit for 5's. Personally, if I were filling out a survey I would almost never give a perfect score because there is almost always room for improvement. But it's not important that the survey be accurate, it is important that you get 5's.

I've seen that too in CVS. Where one customer got upset because his narcotic script wasn't filled. The pharm didn't feel it was legit, he later was told by the DM that he should have filled it. He didn't, though, he told the DM that that would be his license. So the DM just got another pharm to fill it. The only time I have seen some pharmacists take breaks is when there is a period of no or few customers. In a busy store, forget about it, ud better bring your lunch, or ask one of your techs to get it for you.
Hope I assume you mean the Pharmacy Supervisor said to fill it and not the DM? Rarely does the DM intervene in customer service issues- I guess this boils down to who your Pharmacy Supervisor is because- I have worked for various supervisors and know a few personally and none of them I know would question or try to convince a Pharmacist to fill a prescription especially a narcotic that they didn't think was legit- not even the CEO will make me fill something I wasn't comfortable with filling.

Members don't see this ad :)

Owl I don't think that's quite right- I know some stores that manipulate the system and tear off the receipt and give it to the same "good" customers month after month. Now I think the phone numbers you can't call from are phone numbers that are linked to CVS extracare cards(I think) because theoretically it is possible that the same customer can get a receipt multiple times in 90 days. I was told the receipt prints out roughly every 25th transaction.

We used to rip them off and call them ourselves...the only time I have ever used a payphone was to call in our customer surveys. Interestingly enough, not one customer ever asked me why I was ripping off the bottom of their receipt...

I work for CVS but they broke my contract....I signed up for 44 hour work weeks but because of the bad economy stores are cutting hours back so I only get 39 hour base. That is the only quirk I have with them. Also I wish i had a break but you learn to give yourself a break and manage the technicians so they can give you 10 min or up to an hour of downtime where you don't have to do anything but waiters. And even then, you can lie and push back waiters and tell them it's going to take longer then the time you can actually get it out to them.

But my HR person is good in that she calls me if there is anytime I wanted to float to a store and pick up more hours+overtime pay. Overtime for me is anything above my 39 hour base (which is EASY to achieve and good money I can easily do 50 hour weeks no problem if i wanted to, only thing holding me back is my life and g/f who we like to spend time with eachother more then $$)

And now that my PIC quit to work at an independent I get more hours and OT pay. Probably would have been smarter of them to keep me at the 44 hour base but shhh :).

I can schedule as little or as much flu clinics in the community as I want and get paid for them. I don't really care about the dumb KPM/SSS scores. We are top in our district. I really care about my patients and scores go up accordingly, I don't mind calling patients to see why there meds have been here for a week-I want to know if i can make it cheaper/get alternative/or return it to stock because they are on vacation for a month. When the techs make there calls sometimes patients no longer taking the medication so we inactivate it, or we have a lot of elderly patients that do just honestly forget to fill their meds and need them.

I like cvs's healthcare insurance/prescription/dental/eyeglass insurance and employeee 401k. I have not yet used the Employee stock purchasing plan but might try it once i do more research on the market.

The only thing I don't like is corporate...but who doesn't like big corporations these days. I also don't like the fact that they don't invest in technology except for high volume stores, i felt like I was going back to the stone age when I found out my pharmacy hand counts all their scripts. CVS is just my stepping stone for my plans of what I want to do.

I think having a say in choosing your technicians also creates an environment that you are comfortable with and helps develop the pharmacy the way you see fit.

EDIT: our time to answer is 48 seconds at our store...so what--no one ever gives me crap for this...month before it was 38 sec...I will never answer the phone in 20 sec or less. If a DM or pharmacy sup ever brought this up with me I would give thema mouthful, but maybe that's why they don't, this clown can turn evil in a heart beat :D
Cash you make some good points- I think you should worry about your patients first than your KPM/Triple S scores because there are flaws in both the KPM and Triple S- example you could be a great store but 5 people in one month who are pissed off whatever reason can call in and make it appear that you are a horrible store or vice-versa.
The one issue I disagree with you on is time to answer the phone- I work in a store that does about 4000 right now- the highest my time to answer has been 30 seconds- we hover around 20 to 22 secs give or take- now- if you are tied up with a customer or doing a consultation that's one thing, but if you have downtime and the phone is ringing and you don't have any customers why not just answer the phone?
Also you are right on with corp- you really can't sit behind a cubicle and tell me how my store should be ran or how many hours to cut unless you have a feel for what that store is going through- another flaw is that CVS a lot of time is a black/white issue- when in reality there's a lot of gray in many Pharmacy operatons- you can't just look at numbers and think all these problems will fix everything

Last edited:
Owl I don't think that's quite right- I know some stores that manipulate the system and tear off the receipt and give it to the same "good" customers month after month. Now I think the phone numbers you can't call from are phone numbers that are linked to CVS extracare cards(I think) because theoretically it is possible that the same customer can get a receipt multiple times in 90 days. I was told the receipt prints out roughly every 25th transaction.

You may well be right, it's just something I was told.

We used to rip them off and call them ourselves...the only time I have ever used a payphone was to call in our customer surveys. Interestingly enough, not one customer ever asked me why I was ripping off the bottom of their receipt...

IKR?! If I went to a store and I saw the clerk messing with my receipt I would want to know why. No one ever asked me what I was doing or why I was ripping up their receipt.

You may well be right, it's just something I was told.

IKR?! If I went to a store and I saw the clerk messing with my receipt I would want to know why. No one ever asked me what I was doing or why I was ripping up their receipt.
lol- I think most of the time they do it when the customer was distracted- and just to clarify owl- I think if an EMPLOYEES phone number is linked to the Extracare it will not count if you call in a survey.
I was also under the impression that you couldn't call from a payphone?

lol- I think most of the time they do it when the customer was distracted- and just to clarify owl- I think if an EMPLOYEES phone number is linked to the Extracare it will not count if you call in a survey.

This was 7 years ago, back when a small percentage of legitimate people actually uses payphones. Might have changed since then a little bit.

It's owle. Common mistake, don't worry about it.

I still think there is a limit to the number of call ins allowed per phone per time period, because how can one phone number have say 5 surveys per month every month? Highly unlikely. But again I am just going by what I was told, I don't know or care.

As for being distracted, I am sure I tore no less than 50 receipts in my time at CVS. I didn't do it a discreet or secretive manner, if it printed I simply laid the receipt on the counter and tore off the part I wanted to keep. I always made sure the customer got any couponds that printed though. No one ever asked why. :shrug:

Any company that advertises this sort of activity can't be good to work for.

1215.jpg

Am I confused, are we saying that having the first names of the pharmacists out front is a security issue? I don't see how this is so different than having a photo of the pharmacists on the wall. :shrug:

Never mind. :lol:

Why would you have food/drink in the work area anyway? We don't have food/drink in the IV room either. Don't you have a back room/counter where you can keep drinks/snacks? I only worked retail at one place and we had a fridge/eating area for employees so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I guess if it is a super busy store and you don't get breaks, that would be horrible. I can't imagine them telling you no water though...

All we had was this little small counter in the back of the pharmacy. The CVS where I used to work didn't have a food/drink fridge, but the one where I did my rotation had a huge counter for food/drinks as well as a full sized fridge for food/drinks.

CVS looks to be in a bit of trouble these days. The other day their system mysteriously shut down for a whole day nation wide. No prescriptions were filled for any patient. I wonder if this has to do with their 17.5 million dollar settlement with the government for over billing.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/April/11-civ-485.html

http://www.newschief.com/article/20110423/NEWS/104235118/1011/living02?p=1&tc=pg&tc=ar

Please enlighten me. How are these related? Please, as a pharmacy student you are supposed to have functioning brain cells. To make a correlation between paying a fine and computer up time requires a serious amount of LSD or other hallucinogenic compound.

Please enlighten me. How are these related? Please, as a pharmacy student you are supposed to have functioning brain cells. To make a correlation between paying a fine and computer up time requires a serious amount of LSD or other hallucinogenic compound.

well, a conspiracy oriented person might wonder, did cvs shut down their entire network of stores, in order to prevent more illegal practices for a day until they could figure it out.

I know some conspiracy buffs, and that idea seems too far out even for them to consider. 500 different factors make it unlikely or impossible.

Just pointing out maybe where the guy was coming from

Very good points. As someone who works for CVS I agree. CVS definitely encourages an environment where speed is the greatest measurement of performance. As eagles put it, everything you do is measured based on how quickly you perform a task, not how well or effeciently it is performed. How quickly you answer the phone. How quickly you answer the drivethrough phone. How quickly you get a customer in and out with their "waiter." How quickly you complete the drivethrough transaction. How quickly you verify prescriptions. Rxnewb is correct when he/she states that CVS does not verbally tell you that you cannot take a break. CVS does not have to verbally dictate that you cannot take breaks, they encourage and promote an environment where taking a break will negatively impact your "performance statistics". Pharmacists who actually take breaks are viewed in a negative light by co-workers. Pharmacists taking a break at stores I have worked in are viewed as lazy, even though they are not, they are hard workers. Throughout my 3 years at CVS as an intern I have learned a lot about retail pharmacy and CVS. When anyone asks me about CVS, a potential employee or whom ever, I try to give them the best advice I possibly can, which is: Avoid CVS at all costs.

how much did you make with CVS as an intern and in what area?

I saw this thread and just had to reply lol.

I didn't bother to read this entire thread but I have to share my experience with CVS. I worked for them for more than 3 years while I was in undergrad and it was absolutely horrible! I can vouch for all the stories people are saying about CVS not supporting breaks and lunches. I was cheated out of a raise and never received backpay after repeatedly talking to DM's and SM's. The management was constantly changing and they couldn't hold on to a pharmacist to save their life. We went through almost 8 pharmacists in the time that I was working for the company.

We were told MANY times not to tell customers they could not wait. That was against the rules there were never any breaks for the pharmacists in at my store. They would get to go to the bathroom only because we (the techs) would hold it down for them long enough to do so. We were ALWAYS understaffed and we had to meet certain script counts in order to get granted an increase in hours for additional technicians. Of course those script counts were ludicrous and impossible to meet.

I wasn't given a raise for getting my CPhT certification as I was promised and was told by the DM that they just don't give that out anymore. Needless to say when I graduated I got a job at Mylan and am much happier now. Unfortunately, I have to quit because I got accepted to University of Charleston.

Also having said all this I want to point out that I'm not sticking up for other pharmacies like walgreens, rite-aid, walmart, etc. They may be equally as bad or worse for all I know but the CVS horror stories are VERY VERY TRUE.

Last edited:
I saw this thread and just had to reply lol.

I didn't bother to read this entire thread but I have to share my experience with CVS. I worked for them in store #XXXX for more than 3 years while I was in undergrad and it was absolutely horrible! I can vouch for all the stories people are saying about CVS not supporting breaks and lunches. I was cheated out of a raise and never received backpay after repeatedly talking to DM's and SM's. The management was constantly changing and they couldn't hold on to a pharmacist to save their life. We went through almost 8 pharmacists in the time that I was working for the company.

We were told MANY times not to tell customers they could not wait. That was against the rules there were never any breaks for the pharmacists in at my store. They would get to go to the bathroom only because we (the techs) would hold it down for them long enough to do so. We were ALWAYS understaffed and we had to meet certain script counts in order to get granted an increase in hours for additional technicians. Of course those script counts were ludicrous and impossible to meet.

I wasn't given a raise for getting my CPhT certification as I was promised and was told by the DM that they just don't give that out anymore. Needless to say when I graduated I got a job at Mylan and am much happier now. Unfortunately, I have to quit because I got accepted to University of Charleston.

Also having said all this I want to point out that I'm not sticking up for other pharmacies like walgreens, rite-aid, walmart, etc. They may be equally as bad or worse for all I know but the CVS horror stories are VERY VERY TRUE.

Might want to be a little more candid about your prior work experience, esp. if people can find you here. We don't want that to hit you later down the line for whatever reason...

If you decide to remove that then mods can edit my post to take out the number as well...

Last edited:
i would rather Bleach people's Azzholes than work for CVS (serious). id gladly sit and have people spread as I applied anal bleaching cream to them for money than to go work for CVS.

Sometimes I think if given the choice of webcam shows or CVS, majority of pharmacists would choose to do webcam shows.

i would rather Bleach people's Azzholes than work for CVS (serious). id gladly sit and have people spread as I applied anal bleaching cream to them for money than to go work for CVS.

Sometimes I think if given the choice of webcam shows or CVS, majority of pharmacists would choose to do webcam shows.

No, personally, I'll stay with CVS. Thanks for the imagery though. It's an interesting reference.

No, personally, I'll stay with CVS. Thanks for the imagery though. It's an interesting reference.

:laugh: :uhno:

Beastykato, you might want to remove the store number from your post, or have a moderator do it for you.

Well, as someone who's actually done more rectal exams than I can count, I can say definitively that filling prescriptions is more pleasant.

I do prefer the rectal exams to dealing with some customers, however.

Well, as someone who's actually done more rectal exams than I can count, I can say definitively that filling prescriptions is more pleasant.

I do prefer the rectal exams to dealing with some customers, however.

i dont know man.... i dont know.... id really take doing the rectal than work for CVS.

Last edited:

Its really a game. There is one store that calls scores for themselves or have their friends call for them. They have good scores. Always praise from the DM for their scores. However, they also are done 600 to 700 scripts per week due to massive change in pharmacist and techs. But good scores are always indicative of good buisness and increasing scripts

As far as the DM involvement in pharmacy. In this stores area the Pharm sup is a woosie type guy so to speak. doesn't stand up to DM at all so the DM is always interfering with pharmacy staff etc. Runs all over the Pharm sup.

Its really a game. There is one store that calls scores for themselves or have their friends call for them. They have good scores. Always praise from the DM for their scores. However, they also are done 600 to 700 scripts per week due to massive change in pharmacist and techs. But good scores are always indicative of good buisness and increasing scripts

Meant to say they are down 600 to 700 per week. The scores are a joke really. good scores should = better buisness and increasing scripts but often times it does not.

Well, I am annoyed with CVS right now. I didn't get a raise this year - interns will now get our raises in August. Supposedly we used to get them at the end of the school year in May (I have never gotten a raise, so I wouldn't know), now we will get them at the beginning of the school year in August. So instead of getting my raise in May, I am instead making exactly what I made last summer, as though the last school year has no value. I am pretty annoyed to be honest. :sigh:

I went ahead and removed the store number from my post but it's still quoted in yours Jabber :p.

Honestly, I only did so because of the recommendation to do so. If someone doesn't like it oh well. I'm not gonna keep quiet about companies that treated me poorly and I never plan to work for CVS again.

... Here I am saying this now I'll probably be defending them and working for them after school :laugh:.

As far as the DM involvement in pharmacy. In this stores area the Pharm sup is a woosie type guy so to speak. doesn't stand up to DM at all so the DM is always interfering with pharmacy staff etc. Runs all over the Pharm sup.

I would love to know where this is? In my area, the DM does not tread on the Pharmacy Supervisor. They work together. Also, the largest part of your bonus is scripts V budget. So, if you are offering crappy service you are hurting yourself. It's better to actually give good service.

Well, I am annoyed with CVS right now. I didn't get a raise this year - interns will now get our raises in August. Supposedly we used to get them at the end of the school year in May (I have never gotten a raise, so I wouldn't know), now we will get them at the beginning of the school year in August. So instead of getting my raise in May, I am instead making exactly what I made last summer, as though the last school year has no value. I am pretty annoyed to be honest. :sigh:

They used to give the raise in September. Then a few years ago they moved it to the end of May. I was not aware they moved back. I'll check it out.

Yeah it's a shame not getting a .50 to a dollar raise wasted a whole pharmacy school year for you. Maybe next year you'll get a raise and possibly learn something as well :smuggrin: