CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Does anyone know if Concord folks are still expected to enroll in the Seminar at Hayward? If I'm reading the schedule right, it doesn't even look like we'd be able to make it in time.

I look forward to meeting all of you! :D

I am also gonna drive from Fremont to Concord due to the non-sense wait-list issues at Hayward. According to the AE suggested schedule, the seminar at Hayward is doable though.

Here is my schedule:

CHEM 4411 - 10SS 10:00AM - 11:50AM
BIOL 3410 - 10SS 12:00PM - 1:50PM
BIOL 4441 - 10SS 2:00PM - 3:50PM

You will have 2 hours to get yourself back to Hayward....

BIOL 4820 - 09SS Seminar 6:00PM - 6:50PM

Members don't see this ad.

I applied early July for admission to the winter 2013 quarter at CSUEB. I had a 2.59 GPA in my undergrad. Do I have a chance to get in?

The minimum is 2.8. Thus, you will be placed on the wait-list that is based on GPA rolling basis

What to Do?
Take 2~3 upper division science classes at any 4yr university and get least Bs or As if possible during Fall. (extension classes are fine, but no community college!)

Damn, I wish I did this earlier. I'm already registered for a month long intense EMT class this september. I won't be able to take any classes this Fall. Any other suggestions?

My lowest grades, 2 Fs and a D are in math classes. I was trying to minor in math but that did not happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
The minimum is 2.8. Thus, you will be placed on the wait-list that is based on GPA rolling basis

What to Do?
Take 2~3 upper division science classes at any 4yr university and get least Bs or As if possible during Fall. (extension classes are fine, but no community college!)
what does a "GPA rolling basis" mean exactly?

Hello all. Reading through this thread...figured I should at least sign up. I'm starting CCT for fall 2012.

I noticed a few in the CC program are taking additional classes, are we supposed to take the courses as scheduled on the "Curriculum" page, or can we take additional classes? Maybe that's why the AET courses are full?

Also, does anyone know if Calculus 1 & 2 are mandatory? I haven't seen those classes as prereqs for any med schools.

Calc 1 & 2 are prereq for a lot of med schools. Source: http://www.studentdoc.com/medical-school-requirements.html

Schools vary, but you need a year of Calc in general. It sucks, but you need to just get through it. And it helps with physics. xD And people do take additional classes from what I've seen.

Damn, I wish I did this earlier. I'm already registered for a month long intense EMT class this september. I won't be able to take any classes this Fall. Any other suggestions?

My lowest grades, 2 Fs and a D are in math classes. I was trying to minor in math but that did not happen.

Are you going via semester or quarter system? You can try to apply for a spring quarter admission.

Calc 1 & 2 are prereq for a lot of med schools. Source: http://www.studentdoc.com/medical-school-requirements.html

Schools vary, but you need a year of Calc in general. It sucks, but you need to just get through it. And it helps with physics. xD And people do take additional classes from what I've seen.

Well, shoot. I guess you're right. I was hoping with my survey calculus and stats courses I'd be able to save some money and not take the two calcs, plus calculus and organic chem look like a bad combination in the summer.

Last edited:
By the way, since we are all out of our undergrad now, what kind of health insurance are you going to use? The one with CSUEB by Wells Fargo will cost approx. $160/month and the coverage is just average.

Does anyone know are there any better options?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to actually become a member of the PHAP Facebook page? I clicked "Join" but I can't post yet?

Also, does anyone know what classes they are thinking about adding at Hayward to fit the rest of us? Will it be the same courses? I hope they are.

I think it takes a bit of time before they let you post. I can ask and let you know later.

Are post bacc programs like CSU-EB and CSU-LA only for students that were not science majors during college? Or will these program also work for science majors that got low gpas? Right now I'm contemplating CSU post bacc programs or other programs like SFSU formal post bacc and UMDNJ MBS.

Are post bacc programs like CSU-EB and CSU-LA only for students that were not science majors during college? Or will these program also work for science majors that got low gpas? Right now I'm contemplating CSU post bacc programs or other programs like SFSU formal post bacc and UMDNJ MBS.

It's for anyone that is seeking a career in the health field. Since you are already a science major, you would probably be in the Academic Enhancer cohort if you came to East Bay. I have a degree in Biology and graduated with a 3.2. Joined the program to make my transcript more competitive.

FYI: Immunology for Fall 2012 is up on mycsueb

Comment: this is the only class I got in for Hayward and rest of them are all at Concord :(

By the way, does anyone know when's the last day to drop w/o getting charged?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply for Winter 2013? Or should I wait for Spring 2013?

Also, I'm kind of confused with the start months for each. Does the Winter 2013 start in January and Spring in March or something? I'm not used to the quarter system.

Last edited:
Is it too late to apply for Winter 2013? Or should I wait for Spring 2013?

Also, I'm kind of confused with the start months for each. Does the Winter 2013 start in January and Spring in March or something? I'm not used to the quarter system.

It's not too late. I believe the deadline for Winter 2013 is November 1st. I don't think you can apply for Spring. It's either Fall or Winter. I'm not used to the quarter system either, but I'm pretty sure Winter starts toward the middle or end of January.

I thought the AET program had spring, winter, summer and fall programs. When I look at the application it has all 4 seasons or are those for career changers as well.

I thought the AET program had spring, winter, summer and fall programs. When I look at the application it has all 4 seasons or are those for career changers as well.

There are 4 quarters to an academic year. For the PHAP program, AET students can apply to either begin in Fall or Winter of said academic year. CC students can only apply to the program for Fall (If you're an AET, you'd apply either Winter 2013 or for Fall 2013 [when it becomes available]). Does that answer your question?

The quarter system will be an interesting adjustment for those not used to it. It's fast, and you definitely won't be bored. You get 10 weeks of instruction, then 1 week for finals, which means midterms are common about 3 or 4 weeks in. Winter quarter starts about a week into January, meaning winter break is only about 3 weeks long, unlike with semesters where you get practically a month or so of vacation. You get a week for spring break in between winter and spring quarters, and finish the spring quarter off a week or so into June. It's nice that summer ends so late, though, and fall quarter starts the last week of September.

I'm pretty excited about going back to the quarter system. I've had experience with both quarters and semesters, and I honestly prefer quarters. You're constantly preparing for exams, and it doesn't let you slack off. Plus, if you really don't enjoy a class, you're done in 10 weeks!

Hey all,

So I was really wavering on this program for a moment but I've decided to commit!

That said, I need a roommate; is anyone still searching? My classes are all on the Hayward campus and I hear the Cityview apartments adjacent to campus are popular among grad students and PHAPers. I checked them out and there are still some 2 & 3 bedrooms available; overall the apartments are pretty standard and the facilites are good. I'm open to other options & ideas.

About me:

Male, 23, career changer track.
Like to keep things pretty tidy & organized.
Will live with a guy or girl, don't care.

If anyone is interested and wants to know more, email me:
[email protected]

So I just applied for the Winter 2013 AET program. Is this pretty much a guaranteed in?

So I just applied for the Winter 2013 AET program. Is this pretty much a guaranteed in?
The program is accepting a lot more students this upcoming year (+300 new students) so they might select students base on undergraduate GPA.

according to Oscar, anyone who have above 2.8 gpa should get an auto-in

btw, r u guys CC or AE?

Is this still in effect lol? How long does it usually take to know your status after you apply?

Just wanted to update for those of you on waitlists... all my waitlists have cleared and I'm now enrolled in everything I should be for the career changer track. May want to check your mycsueb if you haven't for a while.

Just wanted to update for those of you on waitlists... all my waitlists have cleared and I'm now enrolled in everything I should be for the career changer track. May want to check your mycsueb if you haven't for a while.

Um, I'm still on the waitlist for biochem...so I don't think this is true for everyone...

An unbiased review on PHAP professors (CC only)

Fronko (chemistry 1101) – Legend has it that he once gave an exam with the answers on the back… Easy class compared to Pizzini.

Pizzini (chemistry 1101) – Great guy, tough exams. His lectures are useful, you would know your gen chem if you ace his class. I would take Fronko if I could though.

Villanueva (physics 2701) – He once gave a take home final and everybody aced it... Never follow the syllabus and extremely unorganized, bitter towards the students and gets mad at them for not answering his rhetorical questions. But nonetheless an easy A, could he different now that several students filed complaints against him.

Helgren (physics 2701) – Difficult professor, you will know your physics after his class. He speeds through the material like no body’s business. I take Villanueva if I could.

Owens (biology 1401) – Only biology 1401 professor. Great professor, fair class; just make sure you do the readings and look over her lecture notes. Problem sets are easy points.

Does anyone know who is teaching Human Nutrition and Principles of Genetics and Epidemiology? And were we can get books for those classes?

Does anyone know who is teaching Human Nutrition and Principles of Genetics and Epidemiology? And were we can get books for those classes?

Epi: Epidemiology for Public Health Practice; Friis 4th e
Genetics: Intro to Genetic Analysis; Griffiths 10th e
Human Nutrition: Understanding Nutrition; Whitney 13th e
(source: student center on mycsueb)

Although I do not endorse doing this... but you could find the Human Nutrition book here (12th edition): https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/724...-_Understanding_Nutrition_12th_Ed_c2011_txtbk

I would get books from amazon or ebay:thumbup:; never from the school, it is a bloody rip off:thumbdown:!

Um, I'm still on the waitlist for biochem...so I don't think this is true for everyone...
Did you finish all your Ochem? The chem dept no longer allow students who have not finished Ochem to enroll in biochem. NO EXCEPTIONS! :mad:

Did you finish all your Ochem? The chem dept no longer allow students who have not finished Ochem to enroll in biochem. NO EXCEPTIONS! :mad:

Yes I was a science major in undergrad, so I finished all my pre-req's but I'm trying to re-take classes.

Did anyone hear back about orientation yet?

I received an email months ago stating that Orientation is September 21st from 11am-230pm and that we are supposed to receive more information sometime this month.

So I guess they will send us something hopefully this upcoming week.

Calc 1 & 2 are prereq for a lot of med schools.

Only one or two medical schools require Calc 2 (unless applying to an MD/PhD program). <30 med schools require Calc 1!

Source: MSAR (which is worth the price).

Many do require one year of college math, but Stats will suffice. The only reason that one HAS to take Calc is if one's college only offers Calc-based physics, or one wants to apply to those 20+ schools that require it.

I'm thinking of applying for Fall 2013 and I know that application opens as soon as October or November from what the website is giving me. Does anyone know if my chances of acceptance is better if I apply earlier or does it not matter?

Also, I heard that class sizes are smaller than UC's and students get to know their profs better so getting LORs might be easier. But does anyone know if there are any research opportunities or anything like that on campus for post-bac students?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Only one or two medical schools require Calc 2 (unless applying to an MD/PhD program). <30 med schools require Calc 1!

Source: MSAR (which is worth the price).

Many do require one year of college math, but Stats will suffice. The only reason that one HAS to take Calc is if one's college only offers Calc-based physics, or one wants to apply to those 20+ schools that require it.

There's a reason many advisers say that you need to take a year of Calc. And if you can't, then I understand. Classes take time and money. And you never really use Calc in med school, but personally, in order to cast a wide net when you apply, I don't think it's worth it to have Calc block your way to some schools. I just think it opens more doors. xD

But after some research, Big Dog is right. You don't really need it for a large number of schools. Do research, see what suits your needs.

Last edited:
...only UCLA and UCI require Calc 1. (A few of the other med schools in the state recommend Calc.)

...only UCLA and UCI require Calc 1. (A few of the other med schools in the state recommend Calc.)

Okay, my bad. I still would recommend taking Calc. Like I said, it depends on the person. For me, I wouldn't want to be held back from applying to some schools because I don't have that class. Again, for myself only.

Once they have received your transcripts how long does it take for them to review it?

Orientation next friday the 21st at 11-2:30pm in Valley Business & Technology Center. I'll be hanging out afterwards to do a complete tour of the campus and finding where all of my classes will be located so that I won't get lost on day 1. Anybody is welcomed to join me if you would like.

-Cliff

Orientation next friday the 21st at 11-2:30pm in Valley Business & Technology Center. I'll be hanging out afterwards to do a complete tour of the campus and finding where all of my classes will be located so that I won't get lost on day 1. Anybody is welcomed to join me if you would like.

-Cliff

Do they accept students before deadline? I just submitted my app and am waiting for transcripts to arrive in their office.:confused:

Do they accept students before deadline? I just submitted my app and am waiting for transcripts to arrive in their office.:confused:

When did you apply and what quarter are you applying for? If you just submitted your application and you're applying for FALL 2012, the answer to your question is most likely no. However, if you're applying for WINTER 2012 then you should still have a chance (If you're applying for AET). Not sure when the deadline officially was but keep in mind that the first day of classes for Fall Quater is less than two weeks away with many students still on the waiting list for classes (including myself). Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Does anyone know if CSUEB automatically tells our loan servicer to defer our loans from undergrad, or do we have to fill out paperwork for that? See you all on Friday. =D

Does anyone know if CSUEB automatically tells our loan servicer to defer our loans from undergrad, or do we have to fill out paperwork for that? See you all on Friday. =D

You always have to fill out the paperwork, then submit it to the financial aid office. I had to do this more times than I would like to.:shrug:

-Cliff

You always have to fill out the paperwork, then submit it to the financial aid office. I had to do this more times than I would like to.:shrug:

-Cliff

D; I guess I'll do it this Friday or next week during school. Will they take these months that I waited to fill out paperwork from my grace period? o.o Because I technically am in my grace period.

D; I guess I'll do it this Friday or next week during school. Will they take these months that I waited to fill out paperwork from my grace period? o.o Because I technically am in my grace period.

They'll take it anytime as long as you'll be in school at least half time status. You can turn it in even during your grace period. Trust me when you submit this form to the financial aid office, it will take sometime until it gets to the FA director and they have to sign it and verify your status. From there, who knows how long it takes until they finally mail it out to FAFSA or whatever agency you have your loan done through. It could take up to a few weeks to process, so the earlier you turn it in the better.

-Cliff

They'll take it anytime as long as you'll be in school at least half time status. You can turn it in even during your grace period. Trust me when you submit this form to the financial aid office, it will take sometime until it gets to the FA director and they have to sign it and verify your status. From there, who knows how long it takes until they finally mail it out to FAFSA or whatever agency you have your loan done through. It could take up to a few weeks to process, so the earlier you turn it in the better.

-Cliff

My Perkins loan won't even tell me how to apply for deferment until October. -.- Poo...well, as long as it gets done.

My application status doesn't say whether I am a AET or career changer. It just says that I applied as a PB certificate EXT. Is there somewhere on the mycsueb website that shows what you applied for?