CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong, but I looked at the file that was posted earlier on this thread for the CC cohort classes for fall. They all seem full. Is there some way around it? Otherwise how could I confirm my attendance if there are no classes in which to put me?

This is something I was hoping they wouldn't do for the program but I can understand why. That is, accepting more students than the amount of seats available in the classrooms for the program. Usually what would happen is students end up changing their minds and attend either another program or not enroll for various reasons. Thus leaving the perfect amount of students remain for the available seats for each class. However, this doesn't always work out that way if they underestimate that value.

My suggestion:
Be a walk-in student for all the classes you would like to take. You'll have to do it this way as with all late registration students do. Build those early relationship with professors to show your interest and I don't see any reason why they won't let you in. Be very persistent. If anyone plans on making it through to any professional school (medical, dental, etc.) then I can't stress enough the importance of having persistence. This is something I've done in the past and has been lucky enough to get into all of the classes I've needed. Definitely learned my lesson, so now I make sure to do everything as early as possible. Good Luck, remember you have been accepted into the program. So there's a possibility they will have some kind of overflow for students to get into classes that are full.

-Cliff

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received financial aid info for fall 2012? I've submitted my MPN and completed the entrance counseling requirements a couple weeks ago. As far as I can tell, there is nothing pending action on my part.

Stephen said they're not quite ready to roll out the fall financial aid packages yet when I asked. Sit tight for a few more weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is something I was hoping they wouldn't do for the program but I can understand why. That is, accepting more students than the amount of seats available in the classrooms for the program. Usually what would happen is students end up changing their minds and attend either another program or not enroll for various reasons. Thus leaving the perfect amount of students remain for the available seats for each class. However, this doesn't always work out that way if they underestimate that value.

My suggestion:
Be a walk-in student for all the classes you would like to take. You'll have to do it this way as with all late registration students do. Build those early relationship with professors to show your interest and I don't see any reason why they won't let you in. Be very persistent. If anyone plans on making it through to any professional school (medical, dental, etc.) then I can't stress enough the importance of having persistence. This is something I've done in the past and has been lucky enough to get into all of the classes I've needed. Definitely learned my lesson, so now I make sure to do everything as early as possible. Good Luck, remember you have been accepted into the program. So there's a possibility they will have some kind of overflow for students to get into classes that are full.

-Cliff

I've watched the biochem waitlist grow from 5 to 28 :eek:

I don't want to believe that they would really leave 28+ people without a chance to start the 3-quarter biochem series at Hayward. I guess Concord is still an option, but it's not ideal. With 28+ people, I hope they might open up a new section at Hayward (which I've heard is what they've been able to do in the past but maybe no longer?). I'm not sure if they over-accepted because more students = more money or like Cliff said because they sincerely didn't think this many people would attend the program. Either way, it would be nice if they can create enough sections for all accepted students.

Makes you wonder if they'll be more selective next year due to the overflow this year...

I would think that some of those people on the waitlist for the 9SS Gen Biochm are maybe also enrolled in the 10SS course at Concord? Though there are only 10 people signed up for that class.
I am enrolled at the Concord Campuses and I really hope to be able to enroll at the Hayward campus; but I am more skeptical that will happen. I have Tue and Thurs and it does not seem that bad of a commute. As long as I am living close to the Hayward BART looks like a 55min commute and a bike ride to the Concord campus. Hoping that I might get some studying in.
Hopefully the following quarters I will be able to enroll at Hayward?

I would think that some of those people on the waitlist for the 9SS Gen Biochm are maybe also enrolled in the 10SS course at Concord? Though there are only 10 people signed up for that class.
I am enrolled at the Concord Campuses and I really hope to be able to enroll at the Hayward campus; but I am more skeptical that will happen. I have Tue and Thurs and it does not seem that bad of a commute. As long as I am living close to the Hayward BART looks like a 55min commute and a bike ride to the Concord campus. Hoping that I might get some studying in.
Hopefully the following quarters I will be able to enroll at Hayward?

Has anyone looked at this Concord shuttle schedule?

http://www20.csueastbay.edu/concord/shuttle.html

I'm wondering if that schedule is up to date? It looks like it's more for students going from Concord to Hayward, is that right? If the shuttle only runs at evening/night, then I couldn't use it to get to class anyways.

Would this be the correct way to get from Hayward to Concord with the BART?:

http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quick...departure&date=8/13/2012&more=ld&time=8:45+AM

Doctorgator, do you know how far it is of a walk/bike from the Concord BART to the campus? Wondering if I need to buy a bike. More expenses yay! =\

I really think both you and Milo should try to sign up for both Concord and Hayward. I think PHAP told me there'd be enough seats at Hayward, not sure how they'll do that now, but keep trying. Otherwise, sit tight for a bit.

And yes, Milo, that is the right route.

Does anyone know how to enroll in OpenU while being accepted to PHAP? I want to take some classes that are not part of PHAP. Do you have to go thru OpenU application on the website?

P.S. @ "my.csueastbay.edu," it won't allow me to register thru OpenU @ "Student Center"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

After months of waiting for my transcripts with degrees posted to finally be received, I was finally able to enroll in classes today. Sadly, the only open classes were at Concord and it looks like I'll have to be making the 1hr+ commute from San Jose every Tuesday/Thursday. Anyone in the same boat as me? :( I feel like the chances of getting into the classes required for AET at Hayward are looking pretty slim given that the waitlists now consist of 15+ people

Hey guys,

After months of waiting for my transcripts with degrees posted to finally be received, I was finally able to enroll in classes today. Sadly, the only open classes were at Concord and it looks like I'll have to be making the 1hr+ commute from San Jose every Tuesday/Thursday. Anyone in the same boat as me? :( I feel like the chances of getting into the classes required for AET at Hayward are looking pretty slim given that the waitlists now consist of 15+ people

Hi Ally,

First off, congratulations for making it this far. I will also be commuting from San Jose but fortunately for me, all of my classes are in hayward. It is still a commute none the less during some heavy traffic hours for me. I mentioned in a prior post that due to the high application rate and perhaps even over admits, getting a seat in the classroom appears to be really difficult especially at the main campus. Here are your two options, it is easier said than done but not impossible to do because I've been in your situation many times in the past and have done it this way:

Option 1:
Stick to your current plan of attending classes in Concord. It is a pain and the drive will be annoying. Howiever it looks like you only have classes two days out of the week and that isn't bad at all. I commuted 5 days a week driving an hour and a half each way for 3 years on my previous job. It sucked, but there was nothing I could do at the time. Plus the positive side is that you'll only have to do it for one quarter which is only 10 weeks that will go by really fast because of the workload. The days will just keep flying. You should have no problem registering for classes in the following quarter at the Hayward Campus since you will already be in the system.

Option 2: (risky, not guaranteed but I've done it before)
Be a walk-in student for all the classes you need to take at the Hayward campus. Show up really early, keep coming back and build that relationship with those professors. Show them how serious you are. I've been able to get into many classes at a prior university and even at a community college where it feels like it is 10x more impacted and beyond impossible to get in classes. The thing is, if the professor really wants you in the class they'll do whatever it takes to get you in. Even if the administration came out with a ruling that no waitlist students will be added, many professors in the past were still able to add me.

In the end, if your goal is to make it to Medical School or any other professional program, being able to adapt and make sacrifices now will build that toughness required to succeed in the future. Please feel free to contact others on here who might be willing to carpool and perhaps you'll only need to drive one day out of the week

Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Hey guys,

I hope you will feel better when you click this url, because it is still my screen when I go to "student center." LOL..yea I know FML (CSUEB admission lost my final transcript w/ degree-post and they claimed they haven't receive the letter of degree of completion that I sent a week ago)

Personally, going to Concord is too crazy for me and I live in Fremont (both BART or driving). I've talked to two PHAP advisers about this situation two days ago, and my conclusion to deal with this situation (in case Cliff's plan 2 doesn't work here) is to take 1 unit seminar to stay in the program, so I can actually register class early for Winter 2013. For Fall 2012, I'll just study my ass off for MCAT re-take while doing clinical internship etc.

Hope you feel better cuz I can't even register :( WTF

Last edited:
I hope you will feel better when you click this url, because it is still my screen when I go to "student center." LOL..yea I know FML (CSUEB admission lost my final transcript w/ degree-post and they claimed they haven't receive the letter of degree of completion that I sent a week ago)

Personally, going to Concord is too crazy for me and I live in Fremont (both BART or driving). I've talked to two PHAP advisers about this situation two days ago, and my conclusion to deal with this situation (in case Cliff's plan 2 doesn't work here) is to take 1 unit seminar to stay in the program, so I can actually register class early for Winter 2013. For Fall 2012, I'll just study my ass off for MCAT re-take while doing clinical internship etc.

Hope you feel better cuz I can't even register :( WTF

Wait...they lost it?!

I really think both you and Milo should try to sign up for both Concord and Hayward. I think PHAP told me there'd be enough seats at Hayward, not sure how they'll do that now, but keep trying. Otherwise, sit tight for a bit.

And yes, Milo, that is the right route.

DO NOT TRY TO SIGN UP FOR THE SAME CLASS AT BOTH CONCORD AND HAYWARD AT THIS POINT!!! YOU WILL GET DROPPED FROM HAYWARD AND LOSE ANY SPOT YOU HAD ON ANY HAYWARD WAITLISTS :( :( :(

As you might be able to infer, I tried to do this and lost my wait list position at Hayward. There wasn't any warning saying "you will get dropped if you try to add this class at Concord"...I guess all I can do now is take it as a learning experience and deal with the commute to Concord. I was really sad that this happened because I was not aware of this rule that you can't be enrolled in the same class at both Hayward and Concord. Wish they would have it written down SOMEWHERE! :mad: I'm still going to show up to the Hayward class and be persistent (even though I'm now last on the Hayward waitlist...:thumbdown:).

DO NOT TRY TO SIGN UP FOR THE SAME CLASS AT BOTH CONCORD AND HAYWARD AT THIS POINT!!! YOU WILL GET DROPPED FROM HAYWARD AND LOSE ANY SPOT YOU HAD ON ANY HAYWARD WAITLISTS :( :( :(

As you might be able to infer, I tried to do this and lost my wait list position at Hayward. There wasn't any warning saying "you will get dropped if you try to add this class at Concord"...I guess all I can do now is take it as a learning experience and deal with the commute to Concord. I was really sad that this happened because I was not aware of this rule that you can't be enrolled in the same class at both Hayward and Concord. Wish they would have it written down SOMEWHERE! :mad: I'm still going to show up to the Hayward class and be persistent (even though I'm now last on the Hayward waitlist...:thumbdown:).

Don't worry! I am not even able to get on the waitlist, so you will not be the last for sure lol

oh my. that sucks. :mad::thumbdown:thumbdown

well, i might go to concord if I can't get into a class that i am waitlisted at hayward.
My class at Concord is from 10am-12pm tuesdays and thursdays. Maybe we can carpool to concord? I can stay there later if your class is at a later time (ie. i can study in the library or something). lol as long as your class is not at 6pm or something. that's too late. :laugh::D

cuz they hate me :( ? jk lol...so, I have to re-send again tmr

Guess I need to call the office to make sure they have it. I refuse to be kicked out of this program and have to reapply for winter because they lost a transcript. >.>

I'm truly sorry to hear that happened though. Guess I'll be discussing a few of these issues with Dr. Oscar when I can see him. Not sure he can do anything to administration though.

Edit: For anyone that's still having trouble with final transcripts with the degree on them, I do want to issue a warning, make sure, absolute sure, that you get them in before the 26th of September. I've been told that if they have not arrived by then, you will be removed from the program and forced to reapply for the winter quarter.

Last edited:
oh my. that sucks. :mad::thumbdown:thumbdown

well, i might go to concord if I can't get into a class that i am waitlisted at hayward.
My class at Concord is from 10am-12pm tuesdays and thursdays. Maybe we can carpool to concord? I can stay there later if your class is at a later time (ie. i can study in the library or something). lol as long as your class is not at 6pm or something. that's too late. :laugh::D

We can try to organize carpools or something on the day of the orientation. I know several people are coming in from San Jose and a variety of other places in the Bay Area, so this might be nice.

Thanks for the advice, Cliff! I think I will just stick to driving to Concord since it seems less risky and, like you said, it's only for 10 weeks. Plus, it looks like the traffic in the mornings/afternoons after class seems to go the opposite direction, so the drive time should be a little quicker.

We can try to organize carpools or something on the day of the orientation. I know several people are coming in from San Jose and a variety of other places in the Bay Area, so this might be nice.

I am down for this idea!... for anyone that wants to carpool Tu/Th to Concord. My schedule so far includes class from 10am-4pm.

Last edited:

Carpooling we would be nice. I am enrolled in chm 4411 at Concord TuThur 10am-12 and bio 3410 12-150. I might be changing enrollment in 3410.
I am currently hoping to secure a room in Hayward close to the hayward airport. Though not sure if that is going to work.
Anyone else here interested in trying to share an apartment?

Sucks to hear about the problems people on here are facing with transcripts or scheduling classes!
As far as the commute I plan to able to ride a bike to the Hayward Bart and from the Concord BART to campus. And from my house to the Hayward campus by bike. I like the physical activity and time to not be focused on stressors.
For those that are from the Hayward or other east bay areas; What are you typical weather patterns particular rains?

Looking forward to meeting all yous PHAP's at orientation.

Let's create a carpool thread :D

Do anyone know which route has the least jam? (suppose you drive from Hayward)

1. I-880 N & CA-24 E
2. I-580 E & I-680 N

So I don't know if you all check out the PHAP facebook page, but as a heads up, they might be opening up an immunology class in the fall.

Does anyone have an opinion if they think subsequent quarters will be harder to get into classes at Hayward?
It seems with such long waitlists for almost all the classes and their addition of classes at Concord that they seem they might be pushing the excess to the Concord campus for whatever might be their reasons. Though it does not seem people are registering for the classes at Concord. Are they gonna wait to the first day of classes to see what happens with the waitlists?
Not looking forward to the communte but in the prospective of world events its pretty low.

Does anyone have an opinion if they think subsequent quarters will be harder to get into classes at Hayward?
It seems with such long waitlists for almost all the classes and their addition of classes at Concord that they seem they might be pushing the excess to the Concord campus for whatever might be their reasons. Though it does not seem people are registering for the classes at Concord. Are they gonna wait to the first day of classes to see what happens with the waitlists?
Not looking forward to the communte but in the prospective of world events its pretty low.

I asked that on the facebook and it seems we'll all have an appointment for our cohort to choose classes. So there will always be waitlists...we just have to have luck on our side and plan out our schedules accordingly.

I asked that on the facebook and it seems we'll all have an appointment for our cohort to choose classes. So there will always be waitlists...we just have to have luck on our side and plan out our schedules accordingly.

So as the new AET 10SS cohort, it sounds like I can expect to be commuting to Concord?

Whats the Facebook profile page? I searched it didn't find anything that was active.

Hi everyone,

I'm flying to the area on Tuesday to find a place to live. Is anyone still looking for a roommate (or know anyone who is)? Otherwise, anyone know of any good complexes in the area or any other tips for the search? Thanks!

On the student agreement form for financial aid it says 2013 on it. Does it mean 2012-2013 school year that starts in September or no? I filled the amount of units I would likely take in the fall, winter, and spring quarters but I left the summer one blank because I didn't know if it was referring to Summer 2012 or Summer 2013. Anyone know which year it is referring to?

Also, if your looking for a roommate hit me up. I am a dude and I am trying to find somewhere close to the school.

On the student agreement form for financial aid it says 2013 on it. Does it mean 2012-2013 school year that starts in September or no? I filled the amount of units I would likely take in the fall, winter, and spring quarters but I left the summer one blank because I didn't know if it was referring to Summer 2012 or Summer 2013. Anyone know which year it is referring to?

Summer 2013. I assume when they say 2013 they mean the fiscal 2013 which usually starts in the Fall? That may be wrong but the aid should be for summer 2013.

Looks like Financial aid is also getting ready to roll out the rest of the fall packages. Be sure to check up on that this week.

Summer 2013. I assume when they say 2013 they mean the fiscal 2013 which usually starts in the Fall? That may be wrong but the aid should be for summer 2013.

Oh okay thanks. Crap...now I need to change that form. I marked it with 0 units since I wasn't sure smh

Question....on my "To Do List" tab, it said "initiated" until my transcripts were finally processed (yesterday 8/13/12). I know after "initiated" is gone, it's supposed to say "evaluation" and then "accepted/denied". Where do I find "evaluation", though. When I click back to my To Do List, it just says that I've completed everything. Is there another tab where I would eventually see that I've been accepted or denied??

oh, and for anyone who is applying to the Winter 2013 cohort and has already sent their transcripts, make sure to call the admissions office a week or so after sending your transcripts. I sent my last transcript on July 30th. When I called the office on Aug. 13th, they told me they received my transcript on Aug. 3rd...which means they already had it uploaded and in my file, but were taking their time processing it. By calling them, I'm pretty sure I sped up the process. Oh, and the lady was saying they had 3 transcripts on file for me (I only sent 2). Turns out 2 were mine and the third was someone else's that they mistakenly put in my file. Just make sure you stay on top of things...I understand they have to deal with a lot of students and applications, but there's no reason you should be sitting around waiting with an incomplete application, because they're taking their time processing your information....Now I'm just waiting for a final decision. :xf:

Last edited:
Question....on my "To Do List" tab, it said "initiated" until my transcripts were finally processed (yesterday 8/13/12). I know after "initiated" is gone, it's supposed to say "evaluation" and then "accepted/denied". Where do I find "evaluation", though. When I click back to my To Do List, it just says that I've completed everything. Is there another tab where I would eventually see that I've been accepted or denied??

oh, and for anyone who is applying to the Winter 2013 cohort and has already sent their transcripts, make sure to call the admissions office a week or so after sending your transcripts. I sent my last transcript on July 30th. When I called the office on Aug. 13th, they told me they received my transcript on Aug. 3rd...which means they already had it uploaded and in my file, but were taking their time processing it. By calling them, I'm pretty sure I sped up the process. Oh, and the lady was saying they had 3 transcripts on file for me (I only sent 2). Turns out 2 were mine and the third was someone else's that they mistakenly put in my file. Just make sure you stay on top of things...I understand they have to deal with a lot of students and applications, but there's no reason you should be sitting around waiting with an incomplete application, because they're taking their time processing your information....Now I'm just waiting for a final decision. :xf:

If you are on the main my.csueb page there should be an application status link. The application status should change once they receive your documents and are reviewing it to accepted. It took a couple of weeks for them to receive, review, and accept.

I recently got accepted to the winter cohort and will be starting in january! I was wondering if anyone knows the success rate of this program's academic enhancer track? (ie. what percentage of students who applied to medical school got in)

I recently got accepted to the winter cohort and will be starting in january! I was wondering if anyone knows the success rate of this program's academic enhancer track? (ie. what percentage of students who applied to medical school got in)

I was told by an advisor that there record for the (I assume whole program) was [very] good for D.O's which is what I am interested in and they had aprox 1/5 for M.D.

That sounds and looks good considering....

Just wanted to share part of an email I got from PHAP...

New sections will open up at the end of the month.

Good news for us who are on waitlists!

Just wanted to share part of an email I got from PHAP...

Good news for us who are on waitlists!

jillnicole,

That is great news! I'm also on the wait list for one class, despite registering super early. Now I have to decide whether or not I should over load on units, I'm just realizing now how super expensive the program is so I might have to cut back a lot in order to afford this quarter.

-Cliff

Hey all,

I will be a new PHAP AE track student this Fall.

I'm running into a lot of the same issues that some of you are having.

I live in San Jose but could only get into the Concord courses. I dropped my waitlisted courses at Hayward after they sent out an email about waitlisting. I'm also having trouble gathering the money to pay for the tuition and books. The financial aid doesn't cover everything even though my EFC is 0. Private loans are a bit out of the question since most require a co-signer with good credit. And I got laid off from my lab job due to lack of funding.

So, tough times ahead! But I'm still excited about this program.

Does anyone know if Concord folks are still expected to enroll in the Seminar at Hayward? If I'm reading the schedule right, it doesn't even look like we'd be able to make it in time.

I look forward to meeting all of you! :D

I believe I read on the facebook page that they might do a video of the seminar for students at the Concord campus. Like a podcast of sorts. I'm not entirely sure, I'll double check when I get home from work today. Sit tight, they might be opening up new sections on the Hayward campus so you might not have to commute to Concord. But again, things are still up in the air until we get an official email about it.

And yes, financial aid doesn't cover everything. I've talked to Stephen from that office and we only get $5500 for the entire year. (More if you're an independent student) If not, apparently your parents can take out a plus loan for up to $26,000 dollars. I've pretty much been working full time this summer to get my savings for this program so fun times, fun times indeed.

Congrats for making it in by the way. =D

Hello all. Reading through this thread...figured I should at least sign up. I'm starting CCT for fall 2012.

I noticed a few in the CC program are taking additional classes, are we supposed to take the courses as scheduled on the "Curriculum" page, or can we take additional classes? Maybe that's why the AET courses are full?

Also, does anyone know if Calculus 1 & 2 are mandatory? I haven't seen those classes as prereqs for any med schools.

I applied early July for admission to the winter 2013 quarter at CSUEB. I had a 2.59 GPA in my undergrad. Do I have a chance to get in?