CSU-CVM-Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of the 1600+ that apply to CSU, how many are interviewed? Anybody Know?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the VMCAS application, under CSU's program materials where you choose your pre-req classes from your transcripts.. does anyone know the details on the 'elective' one?. Just not sure if they are looking for us to put science-based electives or just in general all the random 'extras' you've tacked on throughout schooling.

For the VMCAS application, under CSU's program materials where you choose your pre-req classes from your transcripts.. does anyone know the details on the 'elective' one?. Just not sure if they are looking for us to put science-based electives or just in general all the random 'extras' you've tacked on throughout schooling.
Literally it's whatever you want to pick. I swear I read somewhere they use that just to make sure you have the required number of elective hours but don't quote that. I personally picked upper science and other electives that were different (martial arts class, a Spanish, and some of my business minor classes) that I did well in.

Hi guys, I'm an OOS applicant, and I just discovered the Course Substitution Request Form. Is this required, and do we need to get approval from all of our courses before the deadline?

Hi guys, I'm an OOS applicant, and I just discovered the Course Substitution Request Form. Is this required, and do we need to get approval from all of our courses before the deadline?
No, that would be too much paperwork. I believe there's more description somewhere. I think it's mostly like course substitutions and classes you took that didn't match etc. Just like the other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
No, that would be too much paperwork. I believe there's more description somewhere. I think it's mostly like course substitutions and classes you took that didn't match etc. Just like the other schools.

Okay thanks, so this is not a requirement for other schools? I'm applying to Cornell, Ohio State, LSU, and UC Davis

Okay thanks, so this is not a requirement for other schools? I'm applying to Cornell, Ohio State, LSU, and UC Davis
Other schools have something similar. Any course substitutions always have to be approved no matter the school. So like if a school requires Mendelian genetics but you didn't take that and took animal genetics I would contact schools if they would accept that course in place of the Mendelian. Some schools it's not an official form like CSU. I know like Iowa I had to email them the course description out of the catalog of my school for one course and I have to save that email is all while other schools like CSU require a submitted form. It's always better to double check with your individual school about any courses that you think are questionable. I would recommend doing this ASAP with applications closing in 8 days.

Hi everyone! My name is Allie, I'm as CSU now as a "DVM 0" (so my first year of the 5 years that it takes to get your MBA and DVM combined). There are a bunch of us (MBA/MPH/PhD/MS/Vet Prep) that are already here but will be part of the class of 2022. I hope filling out VMCAS went well!
Anyway, we are going to get the Facebook group up and running early so those of us who are here can all start communicating, but it will be set up if end up to joining us. I welcome you to reach out with any questions you may have re: school here (we get a taste of the DVM courses this year,)Fort Collins, etc.
The MMI was not bad for anyone that is worried, they were very nice. A bunch of us actually found the discussions enjoyable, if you can believe that! I can't give more information about the interview itself, but can tell you about the rest of the activities.
If there are any dual degree students PLEASE reach out if you decide to go here! We def meet you guys as navigating year 0 can be a little hairy!
I'm I little better answering email, and if you private message me I can give that to you!
Good Luck waiting to hear from school, for me that was the hardest part!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@aBc312
IS here, but I've looked at various apartments but seem to only find 1k+/ month. Being IS I know FoCo is expensive but I'll be moving with SO and possibly dogs. Are there any cheaper options you know of or good trailer parks where vet students live?

@aBc312
IS here, but I've looked at various apartments but seem to only find 1k+/ month. Being IS I know FoCo is expensive but I'll be moving with SO and possibly dogs. Are there any cheaper options you know of or good trailer parks where vet students live?

I found my apartment from NY and it's about 1k. Apartments in complexes I found ran around that. It seems that people have better luck price wise trying to find houses to rent. When you are a DVM student there is a housing list you have access to, to either connect with other students or people who want to rent to DVM students (usually animal friendly). The Facebook group also presented a lot of options. I am not sure about trailer parks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! My name is Allie, I'm as CSU now as a "DVM 0" (so my first year of the 5 years that it takes to get your MBA and DVM combined). There are a bunch of us (MBA/MPH/PhD/MS/Vet Prep) that are already here but will be part of the class of 2022. I hope filling out VMCAS went well!
Anyway, we are going to get the Facebook group up and running early so those of us who are here can all start communicating, but it will be set up if end up to joining us. I welcome you to reach out with any questions you may have re: school here (we get a taste of the DVM courses this year,)Fort Collins, etc.
The MMI was not bad for anyone that is worried, they were very nice. A bunch of us actually found the discussions enjoyable, if you can believe that! I can't give more information about the interview itself, but can tell you about the rest of the activities.
If there are any dual degree students PLEASE reach out if you decide to go here! We def meet you guys as navigating year 0 can be a little hairy!
I'm I little better answering email, and if you private message me I can give that to you!
Good Luck waiting to hear from school, for me that was the hardest part!

DVM/PhD combined, here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the Vet Prep program doing a Masters in Toxicology this year so will also be part of the class of 2022 as @aBc312 said. I am living in Loveland which is about a 15 minute drive from campus and my apartment is also around $1000 but you tend to get more space for your money out here and I definitely don't mind the drive (no freeway involved!). I also really didn't want a random roommate the first year so I'm definitely paying the price for living alone but I plan on finding a house to rent with a friend or two next year to save some money and get a yard for my dog. Anyway, I'm here as well if you guys have questions!

I'm in the Vet Prep program doing a Masters in Toxicology this year so will also be part of the class of 2022 as @aBc312 said. I am living in Loveland which is about a 15 minute drive from campus and my apartment is also around $1000 but you tend to get more space for your money out here and I definitely don't mind the drive (no freeway involved!). I also really didn't want a random roommate the first year so I'm definitely paying the price for living alone but I plan on finding a house to rent with a friend or two next year to save some money and get a yard for my dog. Anyway, I'm here as well if you guys have questions!
@wfw1234, Did we add you to the Facebook group? It CSU vet med 2022. I'm not sure if we have crossed paths yet!

@wfw1234, Did we add you to the Facebook group? It CSU vet med 2022. I'm not sure if we have crossed paths yet!

I don't have Facebook and never had one! I'm not into social media very much

I assume everyone got the email, but if you didn't CSU supplemental is still due TODAY by 10pm MDT. If you are a hurricane victim you may request a 1 week extension by Monday SEPT 18.
EDIT: They just sent an email making the deadline Sept 29 to match everything else.

Last edited:
I assume everyone got the email, but if you didn't CSU supplemental is still due TODAY by 10pm MDT. If you are a hurricane victim you may request a 1 week extension by Monday SEPT 18.
EDIT: They just sent an email making the deadline Sept 29 to match everything else.

I guess they changed their mind and will now allow Sept 29th for the supplemental

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for your interest in our veterinary program. After further consideration of the extended deadline and discussions with the VMCAS representatives, we have decided to extend the deadline for the 2018 Colorado Supplemental Application to be SEP 29.

If you have questions about transcripts and/or LORs, please check your VMCAS portal page, as these materials will be submitted to VMCAS.

Please disregard previous emails you may have received regarding the SEP 15 deadline for the Colorado application. The deadline is now SEP 29 for the Colorado application. If you have already submitted the Colorado application, we thank you for your timely submit.

Does anyone know when we will hear from CSU ?

Does ya'lls portal still say "awaiting" for the VMCAS app and VMCAS LORs? I submitted my VMCAS stuff ages ago, so maybe they're not marking it as arrived until they go through everything after the deadline?

Does ya'lls portal still say "awaiting" for the VMCAS app and VMCAS LORs? I submitted my VMCAS stuff ages ago, so maybe they're not marking it as arrived until they go through everything after the deadline?
I was told CSU wouldn't update those things until mid- to late October, so I wouldn't worry! From checking yesterday, mine still says "awaiting" for the app and LORs, too.

I was told CSU wouldn't update those things until mid- to late October, so I wouldn't worry! From checking yesterday, mine still says "awaiting" for the app and LORs, too.
I just logged in and it says "VMCAS APPLICATION and LORs will be downloaded from VMCAS to your CSU applicant status page approximately OCT 31" Which feels like FOREVER away. :scared:

Last year was the first year that they did interviews and I know they had UAF applicants at the interview as well. I am pretty sure they are evaluated in the same pool and you will do interviews with everyone else and then will either be offered a spot in the UAF program, offered a spot in the regular program, waitlisted, or rejected. Side note...CSU has at least 2100 applicants again this year!

Last year was the first year that they did interviews and I know they had UAF applicants at the interview as well. I am pretty sure they are evaluated in the same pool and you will do interviews with everyone else and then will either be offered a spot in the UAF program, offered a spot in the regular program, waitlisted, or rejected. Side note...CSU has at least 2100 applicants again this year!
2100 ????

Hey future class of 2022, I am a Class of 2021 DVM student at CSU and I wanted to share some of my knowledge with our class with you!

There are ALL age ranges, some in their thirties and some just out of undergrad (22), so don't feel like an outlier!
We also have various nationalities, more males in our class than previously.
About half of us are from Colorado and half of us are from OOS...
The MMIs were somewhat stressful beforehand but I definitely think they helped me get in.

PM me any questions you may have! (Though I can't discuss specific MMI questions with you).

Hi all, I'm at CSU as a year one as well with Grace and Allie. I'm out-of-state technically from Texas though I also did my undergrad here at CSU. I did a MS at TAMU.

If you have any questions please ask away! We might be seeing you all at ROLE!

Hi all! I'm an IS applicant and this is my fifth time applying to CSU, but to be honest last year was the the only year I really had a shot because my grades were not competitive (undergrad 3.1). I graduated with a MS in microbiology in 2016 and it was a 1 year, non-traditional Masters program. This is a fantastic program if any of you are declined and need to boost your GPA (but fingers crossed that doesn't happen!). I was offered an interview last year and ultimately listed as a Colorado Alternate. I'm hoping for good news for myself and for all of you as well :luck:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I'm an IS applicant and this is my fifth time applying to CSU, but to be honest last year was the the only year I really had a shot because my grades were not competitive (undergrad 3.1). I graduated with a MS in microbiology in 2016 and it was a 1 year, non-traditional Masters program. This is a fantastic program if any of you are declined and need to boost your GPA (but fingers crossed that doesn't happen!). I was offered an interview last year and ultimately listed as a Colorado Alternate. I'm hoping for good news for myself and for all of you as well :luck:
When you interviewed was it on the same day as OSS people or just IS or both? Do you know about how many IS get interviewed?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

When you interviewed was it on the same day as OSS people or just IS or both? Do you know about how many IS get interviewed?

Hi! I do not know how many IS students are invited to interview. When I interviewed, there were a mix of IS, OOS and a fair number of WICHE applicants but that is just who I talked to throughout the day.

Same day, you pick a Saturday or Sunday for the interview and it's first come first served. IDK how many were in state vs out of state but they interviewed ~300

This past year was my 4th app to CSU! Good luck!! I was also really happy with my MS program at A&M, definitely helped a lot for this semester!

Where did you get your MS?

Just saw that they have now pushed back downloading VMCAS applications and LOR's until November 9th, I emailed admissions and they confirmed that if your status has not updated by then you will need to contact them to make sure there are no issues.

Just saw that they have now pushed back downloading VMCAS applications and LOR's until November 9th, I emailed admissions and they confirmed that if your status has not updated by then you will need to contact them to make sure there are no issues.
So they won't be downloading all of that though until that date correct?

So they won't be downloading all of that though until that date correct?
This is copied directly from their application portal "VMCAS APPLICATION and LORs will be downloaded from VMCAS to your CSU applicant status page approximately OCT 31, pushed out to NOV 09"
The reply I received from admissions was to contact them if my status had not been updated by then.

This is copied directly from their application portal "VMCAS APPLICATION and LORs will be downloaded from VMCAS to your CSU applicant status page approximately OCT 31, pushed out to NOV 09"
The reply I received from admissions was to contact them if my status had not been updated by then.
Yeah I had seen that also. That makes sense then I was just slightly confused.

Yeah I had seen that also. That makes sense then I was just slightly confused.
They definitely haven't been very clear on when the status of our applications would be updated. I think they've been having issues with their system and the delayed VMCAS submission deadline pushed things back even further. I'm excited to hear back from them though even though I'm OOS and know the odds are against me :nailbiting:

Just checked and my VMCAS app and LORs were downloaded today to my CSU status page! It happening guys!!!!:)

Just checked and my VMCAS app and LORs were downloaded today to my CSU status page! It happening guys!!!!:)

Mine too! Pretty satisfying (and relieving) seeing everything is in!