Cpje

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Has anyone taken CPJE recently???
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i would like to know too.. i will be taking mine soon...
Ninah, what materials/base are you using to study??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting ready to take the CPJE, really nervous, anybody want to study or start up a chat.....

Hey drdrugs
My big day is Monday,I am going to kill the beast!!!!LOL!!!
I will let you know.

well I know you did great. Don't worry you passed. take a deep breathe and relax now. I am taking mine on Friday and the anxiety is building. let us all know how you did, any pointers

Hi drdrugs
Good luck for friday,I am sure you will be fine.The exam was very clinical,I mean you should really be a MD or a clinical pharmacist to be able to answer those questions.
The questions are also tricky,you need to read each one few times to really get the meaning.I had 12 minutes extra at the end.
I also had lots of law and QA questions.

Hi drdrugs
Good luck for friday,I am sure you will be fine.The exam was very clinical,I mean you should really be a MD or a clinical pharmacist to be able to answer those questions.
The questions are also tricky,you need to read each one few times to really get the meaning.I had 12 minutes extra at the end.
Hi Ninah,
So was it more difficult than Naplex? Are the law questions tricky too? Did the health notes help to answer the QA questions? What areas do u think I should work on the most? Any specific books u feel will be helpful. Sorry to bombard u with so many questions, its so difficult to get any feedback for CPJE. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi drdrugs

i feel stupid for asking this..but what are quality assurance questions? what's an example (doesn't have to be a real question)? is the study material for the QA on the CA BoP website? if not, where?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as i know the cpje is not adaptive, like the MPJE, or that matter the NAPLEX. but let us not be fooled. the CPJE is a tough exam with a higher failure rate as compared to the MPJE.......
in this context, the NAPLEX is an easier exam.

The health notes are enough for QA questions.And yes it was much harder than naplex,I am not really sure about the best source for cpje but APHA definitly is not enough.

How do you feel about the exam? Was it adaptive? Did you use any other resources?

I'm using just the APha book and the Weissman books. Any DDI interaction questions? or side effects? Scary because I know you prepared a lot for this exam. Good luck, I hope the result comes out positive!!!

The health notes are enough for QA questions.And yes it was much harder than naplex,I am not really sure about the best source for cpje but APHA definitly is not enough.

indeed, there really is no best source for study. unofrtunately, the exam is structured very clinically (and they call it law). It is therefore easier for those that have had their Pharm.D.'s from CA (and gone through their one- year rotations). however, from what i have been reading, you will do well. just relax.

Hi Guys
Thanks for your messages.As I said I had lots of law and QA questions.The clinical questions were so hard that I can not even find the answers in any book.
I did not use RXprep but that might be a better source.
There were also counselling questions but not your usuall w/wo food...
Learn what to monitor for drugs with NTI.
learn all antibiotics really well and their indications,difference between drugs in the same group.
Know your law really well,Weissman book is enough.
And finaly anticoagulants.
Good luck

I think we had similar tests... mine was loads of QA and law questions of which some of them not covered in weissman... some auxillary label questions were for drugs u don't see so commonly... but yes i agree, u really need to understand the law b/c for ppl who say they got few questions i have to say not my version of test...

Hi Guys
Thanks for your messages.As I said I had lots of law and QA questions.The clinical questions were so hard that I can not even find the answers in any book.
learn all antibiotics really well and their indications,difference between drugs in the same group.
Good luck

Hi Guys
Good luck
Hi Ninah/Prednisone,
What kind of counselling questions were there? I know you cant be specific but just want to get a general idea on what stuff to concentrate on. I am planning to use prontopass for memorizing drug info, do u think it is sufficient? Was there any math, patient profiles, disease states questions?
Good luck to both of you, I know u guys will do great,
will pray for you,
Thanks

as far as i know the cpje is not adaptive, like the MPJE, or that matter the NAPLEX. but let us not be fooled. the CPJE is a tough exam with a higher failure rate as compared to the MPJE.......
in this context, the NAPLEX is an easier exam.

I was told by my USC prof that the CPJE is adaptive and getting too many law questions may not be a good thing.

I was told by my USC prof that the CPJE is adaptive and getting too many law questions may not be a good thing.
Interesting. It is hard to tell when you are taking an exam whether it is adaptive or not.
The CPJE does not mention that and hence I assumed that it is not adaptive because there is no mention of it on the Board's website. Now for the other exams (NAPLEX and MPJE), it is clearly stated that it is in the CAT format. Keep me updated. Now, you have aroused my curiosity.
We can talk more once you confirm.

i have heard the same from several people that took the exam last year. however, it is difficult to give much merit to such information since the same had been said about the proportional relationship of number of math questions and naplex score (from talking to friends, it appears to be a rummer).

Getting too many math questions is indicative of an easy naplex? This was the case in my exam but I still passed.

Maybe this is true of the CPJE as well. Too many law questions indicates you are not doing well?

more math supposedly meant doing well in the naplex ... i had a high number of math questions (>50) and got a really good score. Nobody i knew had as many math questions as i did (they estimated 20-30) and they scored within 1 to 5 points of me.

the math on the naplex is simple for most people.
always a double-edged sword.
there has been talk that math questions are rated higher in the naplex (CAT format) as opposed to other questions. one thing good about math is that if you nail them - hard facts and no ambiguity.
then i have heard another story. at the NAPLEX patient profiles are abundant. they keep populating the screen. the more you get of them - the better you are doing.

Hi Guys
Good luck
Hi Ninah,
Did you read Script published by BOP? Were there any questions related to that?
Thanks

Yes I read the script but no questions.
blueclassring
reading APHA is not enough ,I have heard that RXprep is better .

Do you need to read the first 7 chapters of APhA for CPJE?
I never relied on APHA. When I do look it up, I always check with other sources.
Hard to tell if the 7 chapters will hold weight or not. The exam seems to be always in a flux.
I would highly recommend Weissman for the law. The math on the CPJE is simple. If you have passed the NAPLEX, this would be easier (in terms of the math).

I never relied on APHA. When I do look it up, I always check with other sources.
Hard to tell if the 7 chapters will hold weight or not. The exam seems to be always in a flux.
I would highly recommend Weissman for the law. The math on the CPJE is simple. If you have passed the NAPLEX, this would be easier (in terms of the math).
Bing Bong,
Thank you for your reply. Did u take CPJE yet? What books did u use? Everybody talks about Apha here, so I started reading it....but its so detailed...it will take me a yr to prepare! I have Weissman and just got prontopass. I have rxexam review also by Manan Shroff...I am so confused....don't know what to do:confused:

Hi alpha2
I know exactly how you feel because cpje is such a complex exam that even that I have just taken it,I am not sure what advice to give you.For months I was asking someone to help me in this forum about cpje but I did not have any replies.It is so frustrating if you have not taken it before and you are like ,is it the same as naplex?how will I prepare for it???etc........
I can not tell you anything about the actuall exam,
But I can tell you for sure that if you just read APHA,it will not be enough to pass.
There are a lot of very clinical questions,it is almost like you have to be a MD to know the answers!!!!
I thought that Tarascon was a good source to read since it had all the information which is missing in APHA.
If you are planning to use APHA,then you should also read Tarascon and www.rphglobal.com.
Prontopass is a definit no for CPJE,it is good for naplex only and if you start to use too many books then you will get all confused!!!
I have no experience with Manan Shroff so maybe someone else will help you on that.
Do chapters in APHA,then look up all drugs in Tarascon and make your own note,learn antibiotics,QA,anticoagulants,anemia....
The difference in preparing for cpje is that you will focus on adverse drug reactions,what need to be monitored and what you need to tell the patient when you do counselling.
Hope this helps.

Bing Bong,
Thank you for your reply. Did u take CPJE yet? What books did u use? Everybody talks about Apha here, so I started reading it....but its so detailed...it will take me a yr to prepare! I have Weissman and just got prontopass. I have rxexam review also by Manan Shroff...I am so confused....don't know what to do:confused:
manan shroff is good. try getting their cpje cd. after that the books that i would recommend are comprehensive pharmacy review (Shargel, et al) and for practice of questions, Lange Q&A pharmacy. the latter has good explanations. the former (Shargel) is detailed, but try to focus on what the cpje concentrates on (as opposed to the naplex). tough to do sometimes, because there is overlap. but clearly - certain areas are de-emphasized in the cpje because they have been tackled at the naplex level.

Ninah/BingBong:
Thank you for ur replies. I think I have an idea on what to focus on. I have Mana Shroff CD but it has only 150 questions and they r pretty simple. I have Manan shroff Q&A book....I will use that. I really like Tarascon, its very handy.
Thank you for all the support guys,
God bless you

how is the manan shroff cd for cpje? does only have law questions or clinical questions as well?

it has a mixture of both but its not as hard as CPJE....i think the questions are too direct in the cd and also I think its very expensive $50 for just 150 questions!

It's funny because there are some that say on this particular website that the APha book is all you need. I think the important part is to focus on monitoring, and ADE.

Then again, I haven't taken the exam so I'll be in for a shock. My strategy is to create charts and highlight the big difference between drugs.

Ie. Captopril is the only drug taken TID. and captopril and enalapril are the only one that need to have drug monitoring for neutropenia.

I agree you need to focus on amphotericin monitoring, which HIV drug needs to be refrigerated. The APha book lacks in infusion dosing, therapeutic interchange, and lots of California law stuff. I think globalrph should be enough.

Questions to know are max doses(what is max dose for Rifampin, what needs to be monitored. how to convert between epo and darbopoetin) How to decrease doses of epo and darbopoetin if the hemoglobin <1? STuff like that I guess. Looking at stuff like anemia like MCH and MCHC, and MCV and knowing what to give(folic acid, cyanocolbalamin, iron) Herbals like pennyrose, etc. How to take agenerase? Is Videx taken on an empty stomach? What are black box warnings for Topamax and how to take it?(ie with topamax tell them to drink it with plenty of water because of risk of nephrolithiasis) I am focusing on stuff like this. I hope that is enough for this exam!!!!

If not, I am f*****. I plan on studying 12 hours a day for the next three weeks... I have to pass this exam....

i attribute lower pass rate in the 'out of state' demographic to pharmacist that have been practicing for several years and decide to move to California. I also think that people with lack of adequate resources for this exam also have a higher failure rate.
Fresh out of state grads should be close to par with california graduates. Rotation experiences have to meet a set standard by ACPE so we all should have ~ 1 year of mixed clinical and retail experience. The only big difference between instate and out of state grads is that each state is unique in their laws and it takes significant effort to 'unlearn' past experience and knowledge.

Last edited:
i think the pass rate for out of state grads is misleading, i was a student at University of New Mexico. Passed the Naplex with a 130, and CPJE with an 84, took AZ MPJE and scored an 82, all on first try. I know of one other student in my class that passed the CPJE, so far 2 for 2, go New Mexico! I thought the Weisman book was unecessary, good for reference as a pharmacist, but not good study material. It probably helped me on 2 law questions at the most.