COVID Testing Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had COVID like symptoms a couple weeks ago and called in night before with fever and chills. No problem with finding coverage but very disappointing that I had to pickup the cost of the test of $150. I had to get the test or couldn't go back until 10 days symptom free or a negative test. Anyone else have a similar instance like this because it has really made me think twice about it and being out a couple days.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Rapid test was $360. Insurace left me with $150.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that’s ridiculous. I get tested sometimes several times weekly and I have never had to contact my ins or anything like that. They just stuck a swab up my nose and that’s it.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Yea that’s ridiculous. I get tested sometimes several times weekly and I have never had to contact my ins or anything like that. They just stuck a swab up my nose and that’s it.
Several times weekly?! Your poor nostrils. Do you even have any membrane left?

I don't know of anyone doing free rapid tests out here but most covid tests are free. We don't collect insurance info or payment at my pharmacy. Of course, I'm assuming the state is reimbursing us on the back end.

Oh and I've heard of some people having a copay for rapid tests but usually in the $40 range.

All I can say is 2 things.
1. An employee shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for a policy that protects other coworkers and customers. The policy goes by the " honor" system and that you should seek medical treatment if not feeling well. Next time I don't feel well its APAP and Gatorade and put a cool towel on my forehead just before I go in.

2. If a NP can charge $360 for 4 minutes(I time her) and her assistant was the one that did the actual swab, then what in the hell is the vaccine cost and admin fees? Seriously, the assistants have more risk than the practitioners.

Several times weekly?! Your poor nostrils. Do you even have any membrane left?

Most of the time I just do it myself. It doesn’t bother me that much really. But yea - the govt ships in massive amounts of rapid tests. There should not be a cost for a health care worker to get tested.

If you work at a large chain I would ask the supervisor where they are holding testing and request to have access to those testing supplies. Health care workers should not be paying for this period - we have been through enough already. Maybe call your local health and welfare office and ask the question.

Reactions: 1 users
i thought all covid testing are supposed to be free? I got charged but then reimbursed, you may want to check in to it

Reactions: 1 users
i thought all covid testing are supposed to be free? I got charged but then reimbursed, you may want to check in to it
The catch is, the covid test itself is free, but the place giving it can change an administration fee. At least in my state, if you get it in a state-run place, then they will bill your insurance for the administration fee, but if your ins doesn't pay they write it (at least I think that is what they are doing, I know that if you get tested in a state-run place, you won't be billed anything.) Now if you get tested in a non-state run place, than you can be left with a bill. Or course, none of this is clear to the public, and for-profit places are setting up testing clinics that are hard to differentiate from the state-run clinics.

• Wow
My sister who works LTCF gets tested twice a week. She got COVID and told me they didn't have to pay her which I thought was a violation of CARES Act. Then she told me healthcare workers don't count according to their HR. I'm so disgusted with healthcare. I feel like all of us are expendable.

• Wow
My sister who works LTCF gets tested twice a week. She got COVID and told me they didn't have to pay her which I thought was a violation of CARES Act. Then she told me healthcare workers don't count according to their HR. I'm so disgusted with healthcare. I feel like all of us are expendable.

Wow; I was unaware of this!