Countdown to Match 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
76534_ORIG-airplane_leslie.jpg

I just wanted to tell you all good luck. We're counting on you.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hope no one has to be the guinea pigs for the SOAP.

Oof, at least last year folk had a day of processing before scrambling. Now it's "Oh sh*z, I didn't match and now I've got one hour to prepare a personal statement for some specialty I didn't really want"

The "Final Four" days of the countdown as we approach Match Day 2012!

odds-to-win-2012-final-4.png

Last edited:
i cant sleep. im going to keep hitting refresh until nrmp crashes or shows my results, whichever comes first.

Medicine is not all to life.

Life is short.

Live it to the fullest.

Leave this world with no regrets.

This match is not the end of the world.

http://vimeo.com/37040456

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone today! Those who came before you have not forgotten the horror that is the match and the anxiety that goes with it. We're praying/pulling for you all.

just woke up. 11mins left. eating toast, having coffee, totally weird feeling compared to the day i got step 1 and step 2 results. weird really.

matched!!!

cannot believe it!!

Relieved, indeed. Congrats future co-residents.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIW84-Q3vA8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
^^^
Ahhh, no way!!! This is freakin' great! Never thought someone would turn this into a Match version. Thanks for sharing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
At the risk of losing some anonymity...I present: Match Day (feat. Dr. John Barone)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc[/YOUTUBE]

wait, so they tell you matched a day before they tell you where? That's pretty dick...

wait, so they tell you matched a day before they tell you where? That's pretty dick...

Actually a few days before. They do it presumably so that those who do not match have time to 'scramble' into a place by the time they tell everyone where they are actually going.

If everyone knew where they were going on Monday, presumably people could figure out more easily where there are unmatched spots which could make for an unfair playing field for those who went unmatched and are scrambling for a spot.

Thus they tell people that they matched, but not where.

Actually a few days before. They do it presumably so that those who do not match have time to 'scramble' into a place by the time they tell everyone where they are actually going.

If everyone knew where they were going on Monday, presumably people could figure out more easily where there are unmatched spots which could make for an unfair playing field for those who went unmatched and are scrambling for a spot.

Thus they tell people that they matched, but not where.

ahh that makes sense.

It probably makes more sense as a grandfathered thing from previous years at this point.

I'll give an example.

Hypothetically everyone finds out where they match on Monday

Butters doesn't match in rad onc.
Marjorine doesn't match in rad onc

The rad onc community is fairly small and most ppl post on an online forum to say where they matched Monday night.

Butters reads that forum, Marjorine does not.

Butters starts going through places by process of elimination where people have not posted about matching there.

He gets in touch with a few of these places who haven't in fact filled on Monday night/Tuesday AM.

He gets a spot at one of the few unfilled places.

Marjorine didn't have the same information and unfortunately ended up in a surg prelim spot only. She has to reapply next year.

In regard to the wait time between matching information and where... I think it has more to do with tradition and saving face on Match Day than anything else. It would be nice for some of the attendings to chime in and let us know what "Match Week" was like 20 years ago or if they have specific insight into the timing of Match Week.

Imagine if schools had their Match Day ceremonies and no one had found out yet if they matched, let alone where. There would be some awfully devastated M4's taking part in the celebration and it would likely be very embarrassing for them. The time gap serves a few purposes. It allows those who are unmatched to emotionally prepare on their own, rather than doing so in front of a huge crowd of their peers (it is an emotional time). And by telling those who've matched early in the week that they've got a spot "secured," they don't have to worry about filling a spot before the Match Day ceremonies, while those who've not matched can try to participate in SOAP (previously Scramble) so that the great majority of programs are filled by the end of the week and those students who had been unmatched may now be matched and still participate in the ceremonies. I really think the overall system works quite well. After all, it's been in practice since 1952.

It's also nice that it's conveniently scheduled right next to an excellent drinking holiday. :luck::luck::luck:

It probably makes more sense as a grandfathered thing from previous years at this point.

I'll give an example.

The rad onc community is fairly small and most ppl post on an online forum to say where they matched Monday night.

Butters starts going through places by process of elimination where people have not posted about matching there.

He gets in touch with a few of these places who haven't in fact filled on Monday night/Tuesday AM.

Marjorine didn't have the same information and unfortunately ended up in a surg prelim spot only. She has to reapply next year.

Or they could both just check the list of unfilled programs that becomes available to all those who didn't match.

I'll give an example.

This is a ridiculous rationalization. Everyone participating in the SOAP at least this year has the list of unfilled programs, I believe it was the same in years prior but I don't know. There may be a reason, but this is not it.

Hence the 'grandfathered' comment.

Maybe they should change it so that people know right away on Monday where they will go. I dunno.

It was NOT the same in previous years. Unmatched individuals did not get the list of unfilled programs until noon sharp on Tuesday. It was a violation to have any idea of unfilled programs prior to that.

Come up with a less 'ridiculous rationalization' if you care, but as we're alluding to, it's probably just academic at this point.

I forget, are we updating at noon or midnight? T-2d17h, so I'm updating now.

09-03-12_two-headed-turtlex-large.jpg

^ Aww, but eww.

^^^
Ahhh, no way!!! This is freakin' great! Never thought someone would turn this into a Match version. Thanks for sharing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not only is that funny, but I find it particularly hilarious that as he's talking about it, the ad says "Enlarged prostate help" LOL

36 hours...!