Corporate careers with a Pharm D./MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious...what kinds of corporate careers are open to those with a dual Pharm D./MBA? In another thread, someone remarked that people holding these degrees tend to migrate into sales/marketing. Can anyone here elaborate on this?

Also, does a Pharm. D./MBA combination hold the same degree of qualification as an MD/DO/MBA (but with opportunities more specific to the pharmaceuticals industry)? Following graduation, what areas of work do most Pharm. D./MBA holders enter?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted to Mercer's Fall '09 PharmD program and I'm very interested in their PharmD/MBA dual degree. I'm interested in an industry Medical Science Liaison position, but I think most PharmD/MBA's go into retail or hospital pharmacy managment.

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of any PharmD/MBA's out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just know of a specific example: our former president has a PharmD/MBA and moved from my regional hospital to a major hospital system in Pennsylvania. I am also thinking of getting an MBA during or after my PharmD.

Bump.

Have been in the management cavity for 3.5 years, I can feel my ambition starting to stir again. But few years of management experience and a PGY-1 just isn't competitive against other DOPs that average 15 years experience. So like a good Asian, I am looking into concrete credentials again, MBA or executive MBA. looking for local or online part time programs. at least couple of the other DOPs in my area has MBA after their names. One is a friend, who said the name of the school doesn't matter much, as any legit MBA degrees will earn the candidate an interview, then its really up to each individual to win the big cheeses over during it.

I would like to get more opinions on the matter. Thank you.

I have a PharmD and MBA. It really depends on what you're looking to do.

If you want a be a pharmacy director in the hospital, I'd say you don't even need an MBA. However, if you would like to move up to the C-suite, then you'd look good with an MBA. Even then, it's more making connections and making good political moves. The better the MBA, the easier it is to get a management position, but you can do it without one. Also, the smaller the city, the easier it is to get a position without an MBA.

My friend doesn't have an MBA and is already a DOP 3 years after getting out of school.

Another route is going managed care like someone mentioned above.