Cornell v OHSU v UCR v Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScreenName23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Cornell name will get you back to a West Coast residency very easily, and the ranking difference between Pitt and Cornell is absolutely negligible. In this situation, Cornell or Pitt are the clear choices, especially if you decide you want to go into a competitive subspecialty. In this case, UCR isn't cheap enough to warrant you losing the huge advantage you'll gain from going to a top 20.

Reactions: 1 users
The Cornell name will get you back to a West Coast residency very easily, and the ranking difference between Pitt and Cornell is absolutely negligible. In this situation, Cornell or Pitt are the clear choices, especially if you decide you want to go into a competitive subspecialty. In this case, UCR isn't cheap enough to warrant you losing the huge advantage you'll gain from going to a top 20.
Thanks for the response!! That's kind of how I feel but hard to be sure...especially if I decide on primary care and have all that Cornell debt lol

Pitt will not make it more difficult to match back home. look at their past match lists and plenty of CA represented even in the most competitive programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UCR if you want to keep costs down for primary care.

Pitt doesn’t offer merit scholarship money so maybe Cornell or OHSU can offer you some aid.

You won’t have trouble matching anywhere if you go to Cornell. Besides, STEP1 score and CV is gonna be more important for matching.

I’d probably choose Cornell if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

UCR if you want to keep costs down for primary care.

Pitt doesn’t offer merit scholarship money so maybe Cornell or OHSU can offer you some aid.

You won’t have trouble matching anywhere if you go to Cornell. Besides, STEP1 score and CV is gonna be more important for matching.

I’d probably choose Cornell if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking in terms of going to Riverside if I'm sure about primary care...which I'm not sure at this point. Definitely going to have to wait and see how financials shake out!

Also, thanks to all who voted! Feel free to leave a comment about why you picked where you picked!

You also have to live in that place and survive through 4 stressful years there - do you see yourself living in a smaller or bigger city than where you live now? A more spread out city? A much colder city? Those questions can’t solve the final IS vs OOS dilemma but may help narrow your list of the private schools more. Rankings wise, I think all of those private schools are about the same, maybe Pitt a little less famous but I know nothing about big name colleges so I’m a bad judge.

You also have to live in that place and survive through 4 stressful years there - do you see yourself living in a smaller or bigger city than where you live now? A more spread out city? A much colder city? Those questions can’t solve the final IS vs OOS dilemma but may help narrow your list of the private schools more. Rankings wise, I think all of those private schools are about the same, maybe Pitt a little less famous but I know nothing about big name colleges so I’m a bad judge.
If I were you I’d probably pick Oregon. Familiar enough coast and outdoorsy life wise, but big enough program to get you far.

Also I see now you said Pitt is best ranked lol glad I added the earlier disclaimer.

If I were you I’d probably pick Oregon. Familiar enough coast and outdoorsy life wise, but big enough program to get you far.

Also I see now you said Pitt is best ranked lol glad I added the earlier disclaimer.
But if they're going to be paying Big $$ for a high ranking program it should be Cornell or Pitt, Oregon is fine but out of state it is incredibly expensive. I think they have P/F which is nice but that ~$70K a year out of state tuition? Not worth choosing it over Pitt/Cornell.

If OP wants to go Primary care with a cheaper ticket, pick UCR
If OP wants to go into something specialized, pick Pitt/Cornell

Cornell is now the worst school in manhattan. I would avoid unless you like getting bullied out of opportunities by students from more highly regarded schools. Pitt on the other hand is both more prestigious and the top dog in its city with UPMC. If you want more control over your future Pitt is the way to go unless you are interested in primary care, in which case UC is the best option.

Cornell is now the worst school in manhattan. I would avoid unless you like getting bullied out of opportunities by students from more highly regarded schools. Pitt on the other hand is both more prestigious and the top dog in its city with UPMC. If you want more control over your future Pitt is the way to go unless you are interested in primary care, in which case UC is the best option.
Account only has one post and it's ridiculously bashing cornell?

Looks like we found someone on the cornell waitlist :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If this is true, not sure why the students at all the 'better' schools would be coming to Cornell, the worst school in NYC, to try to steal my less prestigious opportunities. Could it be that those students are gunning for ortho at the best ortho program in the country that is a Cornell affiliate? Or are they trying to do cancer research at one of the best cancer research institutes in the country MSK? Starts to make you wonder why a school with all of that is the worst school in manhattan;)
If you're just reading the rankings and not sure what to do with them, I see why you reached this conclusion. Pitt is solid so I get it. Honestly though, thank you for offering your thoughts:)

We should get in all our laughs now before we spend our time being bullied by the more prestigious NYC kids!

It's called rotations through the different institutions in NYC, which you should know used to be one of the perks of going to cornell.

If you want to pay more money to go to a less prestigious institution just so you can hopefully impress soccer moms 15 years from now, be my guest. I'm just giving the opinions that you asked for.

It's called rotations through the different institutions in NYC, which you should know used to be one of the perks of going to cornell.

If you want to pay more money to go to a less prestigious institution just so you can hopefully impress soccer moms 15 years from now, be my guest. I'm just giving the opinions that you asked for.

Ah gotcha, I thought you were saying within medicine H-bomb was in a league of its own in terms of advantage for matching. If someone wants to turn down a full ride to Penn or UCSF because the soccer moms at the little league game will be more impressed in 15 years, more power to them

Kind of just out of context paraphrasing efle from the USNWR 2019 thread...fair enough though, draw whatever conclusions you want from that discussion. Like I said before thanks for your thoughts! I do think it's a tough choice between Pitt and Cornell and everyone I've talked to has said choose whichever you like, it doesn't matter there isn't an appreciable difference regardless of what USNWR has come up with lately. You're right. I did ask for opinions. So I am being genuine when I say thanks for your opinion.

Haha this is so absurd.

You can't make any kind of decision about these until you know the finances.

If finances turn out similar, location should probably be the deciding factor for Cornell vs Pitt. These are very different places to spend 4 years, but can both match you back to CA just fine.

Haha this is so absurd.

You can't make any kind of decision about these until you know the finances.

If finances turn out similar, location should probably be the deciding factor for Cornell vs Pitt. These are very different places to spend 4 years, but can both match you back to CA just fine.

Lol yes, absurd. Thanks for the input, I'll see how the financial packages sort out... sorry to drag you over here. Back to your regularly scheduled posting to the USNWR 2019 debacle!

These are great options, but I think i would def go for Weill... I am from SoCal and ended up going to NYU for med school, so i am a bit biased towards NYC... but I think it was an awesome change in scenery from CA and you really get to work with a very diverse array of patients, which I think helps you develop certain social skills that help you as a clinician. OHSU is also awesome and I think the area is a lot of fun, so if you are hesitant about moving cross country, I would say go with OHSU. Personally I would get bored out of my mind in Pitt, and UCR I would only consider if I was doing family med and warm weather was important to me

Reactions: 2 users
Turns out that I literally turned down Harvard so that I can get bullied by other NYC schools students.
Since you are interested in research, I think Cornell comes ahead, unless you are super into biomed engineering, because Pitt-Mellon might have more opportunities for that. If you are worried about residency match, out of these four schools Cornell has the highest reputation, according to USNWR, among residency directors.

if you really love Mayo AZ and you are not afraid of scorching earth, go Mayo my friend.

Hey all,

The decision is now Cornell versus Mayo AZ. Just got pulled off the waitlist. I completely feel in love with Mayo at the interview, but had definitely given up hope. I feel very excited about Cornell, hard to switch up my thought process... any thoughts on these two schools? Thanks for the help!

Congrats on the acceptances! I interviewed at both schools last cycle and currently attend Mayo AZ. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.

Eyyy congrats :)!! They’re both great imho, I didn’t apply to Mayo AZ but my cousin did and she loved it. My biased opinion is you should come to Weill :D, but really you wouldn’t lose anything by going to mayo!

Hey all,

The decision is now Cornell versus Mayo AZ. Just got pulled off the waitlist. I completely feel in love with Mayo at the interview, but had definitely given up hope. I feel very excited about Cornell, hard to switch up my thought process... any thoughts on these two schools? Thanks for the help!

I'm a 4th year and my brother goes to Mayo AZ. We talk all the time and compare our experiences. Mayo and Cornell are both amazing schools so CONGRATULATIONS, that is so awesome. Maybe this might help you out or not but I would definitely recommend Cornell. The biggest things are Mayo AZ is new obviously and it shows in certain aspects, Cornell is definitely a more established school and there will be more opportunities for research and matching with the established faculty and connections will be so much better and easier at Cornell. student life compared to Scottsdale which can get very dry, and Cornell is in NEW YORK! I will also say that Mayo's required 8-5 days are grueling for med students and my bro has a difficult time doing things outside of class and school. Overall you're left with two amazing decisions but I do think there is a clear answer between those two. very luck to be in your position, congrats again and best of luck! let me know if you have any questions and I can run them by my bro

congratulations! I think the answer is obvious, Cornell all day. Mayo throws financial aid at its students so that they won't lose students to other schools and can keep their percentage yield high. Mayo is a good school but you just can't compare the new Mayo AZ to the established Cornell. You'll have a lot easier time down the road and it's a top prestige school

Eyyy congrats :)!! They’re both great imho, I didn’t apply to Mayo AZ but my cousin did and she loved it. My biased opinion is you should come to Weill :D, but really you wouldn’t lose anything by going to mayo!
I’m going to have to second my wise colleagues advice here, not biased at all...:whistle::whistle:

Cornell, Mayo AZ isn't established yet. Though I am sure there is a lot of merit to them saying it will be just as fine as MN, why take that chance with your career? Maybe if they give you a very strong incentive. The other two things are mandatory lectures and all the suit wearing they do... Eff that, personally. I would go for the more laid back environment.

I think moving away to someplace like NYC which is on the other side of the country can be intimidating, but I believe it will be an experience you will not regret. You will have a much more diverse experience, and getting out of your comfort zone may be a very good thing for personal growth.