Pritzker v. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyllama

Reaction score
Hi All! I have narrowed down my acceptances to these final two and I am struggling to come to a decision. I think I know the answer but I wanted some input from others.

Hopkins
Pros
*Both my undergrad and graduate degrees are in public health and I would like to be in public health leadership which Hopkins is known for
* P/F preclinical and core clerkships
* Prestige and Reputation
* I enjoyed SLW and the students seemed low stress
* Access and exposure to nearly every specialty and subspecialty in clerkship years
*Serves a diverse patient population in Baltimore
*Service learning through SOURCE seems plentiful and meaningful to the students
*Top residencies in several specialties
*On the eastern corridor so DC/VA/NYC/Philly easily accessible

Cons
*Student body seemed younger and not as diverse (I am URM and this is important to me)
* The area where the school is was not very good and Baltimore was underwhelming.
*No student-run free clinics

Pritzker
Pros
*Loved my interview experience and has been my #1 choice since interview day
*Loved SLW and felt immediately at home
*Chicago is amazing city with lots of green space and the campus is absolutely beautiful
*Student body is very diverse
*Social justice and health equity oriented which is my research focus and passion
*8 student-run free clinics
* P/F preclinical
*Serves a diverse population on the South Side of Chicago
*11 weeks of summer and protected research time
*One-week breaks between core clerkships
*Students commented that the clinical training is top-notch
*Smaller class size

Cons
*Weather
*Tiered grading for clinical years + AOA
*Chicago is HUGE and it gave the sense that it could be slightly overwhelming

Neutral/Summary

Financials are exactly the same for both schools so that is not a concern. I have a car that I will be bringing with me so I’m not concerned about transportation either. Housing in Hyde Park and Baltimore seems comparable cost-wise. Both schools have a 1.5 year preclinical and are the same distance from family. Research is a big focus of both schools, but Pritzker appears to produce more health disparities research. Given my passion and love for public health and my desire to be in health leadership, I am struggling to see if Hopkins would give me more of a leg up or advantage than Pritzker can. If there are any pros/cons that I am not thinking about, feel free to help a girl out lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All! I have narrowed down my acceptances to these final two and I am struggling to come to a decision. I think I know the answer but I wanted some input from others.

Hopkins

Pros

*Both my undergrad and graduate degrees are in public health and I would like to be in public health leadership which Hopkins is known for
* P/F preclinical and core clerkships
* Prestige and Reputation
* I enjoyed SLW and the students seemed low stress
* Access and exposure to nearly every specialty and subspecialty in clerkship years
*Serves a diverse patient population in Baltimore
*Service learning through SOURCE seems plentiful and meaningful to the students
*Top residencies in several specialties
*On the eastern corridor so DC/VA/NYC/Philly easily accessible

Cons

*Student body seemed younger and not as diverse (I am URM and this is important to me)
* The area where the school is was not very good and Baltimore was underwhelming.
*No student-run free clinics

Pritzker

Pros

*Loved my interview experience and has been my #1 choice since interview day
*Loved SLW and felt immediately at home
*Chicago is amazing city with lots of green space and the campus is absolutely beautiful
*Student body is very diverse
*Social justice and health equity oriented which is my research focus and passion
*8 student-run free clinics
* P/F preclinical
*Serves a diverse population on the South Side of Chicago
*11 weeks of summer and protected research time
*One-week breaks between core clerkships
*Students commented that the clinical training is top-notch
*Smaller class size

Cons

*Weather
*Tiered grading for clinical years + AOA
*Chicago is HUGE and it gave the sense that it could be slightly overwhelming

Neutral/Summary

Financials are exactly the same for both schools so that is not a concern. I have a car that I will be bringing with me so I’m not concerned about transportation either. Housing in Hyde Park and Baltimore seems comparable cost-wise. Both schools have a 1.5 year preclinical and are the same distance from family. Research is a big focus of both schools, but Pritzker appears to produce more health disparities research. Given my passion and love for public health and my desire to be in health leadership, I am struggling to see if Hopkins would give me more of a leg up or advantage than Pritzker can. If there are any pros/cons that I am not thinking about, feel free to help a girl out lol

I get the sense that you’d be a better fit at Pritzker. Both are amazing, the main downside to Pritzker IMO is the tiered clinical grading, but I feel that Pritzker makes up for it with the service orientation being far more in alignment with your passion. The way you speak about the school it’s also very clear that you want to go there more. You also seem to relate more to your fellow classmates which is huge.

Weather in Chicago isn’t that much worse than in Baltimore. You’ll learn to love Chicago as well; they’re both big cities so both could be slightly overwhelming but Chicago is very fun and the Hyde Park area is not so bustling as the other parts.

If I were in your shoes I think I’d pick Pritzker because it’s more in alignment with the doctor that you want to be! However I wouldn’t exactly say you’re wrong if you chose Hopkins - there are plenty of pros there especially the P/F clinical and history of public health leadership. I’d say this one lands around 70% toward Pritzker and the 30% toward JHU.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your pros/cons, it seems like you’re more excited about Pritzker, and that Pritzker aligns more with your values, the community you want to be a part of, and the physician you want to become. Both are great schools, and will set you up for success! I think it’s important to think about who you want to be in the future, and which environment will help you the most in that?

Reactions: 1 user