Core Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddyKGB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if anybody has asked this already. Regarding the suggested 'core rotation' letter of recommendation by the SF match, which rotations are 'core rotations' exactly. Are they the standard 2 month ones only (surgery, ob/gyn, medicine, peds)? Or do they also include psych, neuro, and family? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

surgery and medicine letters are preferred

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I 'allowed' to use a psych letter (as I believe this will be the best letter I will be able to obtain, from the faculty who knew me the best)?

TeddyKGB said:
Am I 'allowed' to use a psych letter (as I believe this will be the best letter I will be able to obtain, from the faculty who knew me the best)?

You're 'allowed' any letter from a core/basic clerkship. A letter from medicine or surgery faculty are better however.

I'm scared that this has been answered before, but...

Any thoughts on three ophtho letters vs. 2 ophtho and 1 "core"? Seems like ophtho is such an incestuous field that 3 letters may increase your "recognition"...

Keep in mind these are just "recommendations". Your application won't be thrown out if you use your psych letter; you just have to figure out what would work best in terms of matching well. I personally sent in ALL ophtho letters and then some (I sent an additional 2 letters to each program separately- after getting permission from each program, of course). Also, I did a late ophtho rotation, so that was my letter #6 :) . I matched pretty well. Hope this helps.

WOW...6 letters!!! I don't think i even know 6 faculty. I was told that for a non-PhD applicant, the standard is generally two ophtho letters (one evaluating you more in a research manner and the other emphasizing clinical skills/involvement). The third letter is ideally a surgery or a medicine letter...I think if those two are not viable options then you could go to peds or ob or psych or neuro (in no particular heirarchical order). This is just what I was advised...I surmise it doesn't really matter so much as all the letters are quite good and strongly in your support.