Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newt23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick query: I will be doing an away in August and early Sept. I want to get my application in early, but I could get a high yield letter from this institution. Is this too late for a letter?

I could also get my 2 ophtho letters from home, and then add this on at a later date. Is that allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

It really just matters on the programs. Some programs review applications early - August/September while others (like my home program) say they don't review any until late October. Asking for a letter in early september, having them write it, mailing it to SF match and then distributing it could be pushing you into a pretty late batch.

Once you distribute you app, that is all SF match will do. Programs may take an additional letter on a case by case basis, but SF match wouldn't send you app out for you early and then add this letter on later

If you're doing the away in August, you are not going to be able to ask them for a letter until end of August which pushes you getting the letter into middle of September - yes, that is too late. You will miss some deadlines, other deadlines you won't miss per se but your application would be in on the late side, some schools will already start sifting through their piles and selecting interviews and you don't want to be left out of that pile (even if interview invites are not officially out yet). Timing is the last thing you want effecting your match, I just wouldn't risk it. Your goal is to have your letters in your possession by end of July and submit as early into August as possible, inevitably letter writers always run late and delays happen even given this timeline. Nothing wrong with 2 letters from your home program, just make sure they are as strong and personal as possible.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok good thoughts. That's kinda what I was thinking. I will be working with one attending for 2 weeks, but I don't know if that is enough time to ask for a letter. Do you guys think that 2 weeks is enough time to ask? (assuming it goes well, of course)

I asked for a LOR from an attending during my August away - I got the letter in the beginning of September. I was already applied and simply had my school coordinator send the letter to the places I had applied, separate from SF Match. I essentially used this as a fourth letter of recommendation.

Ok good thoughts. That's kinda what I was thinking. I will be working with one attending for 2 weeks, but I don't know if that is enough time to ask for a letter. Do you guys think that 2 weeks is enough time to ask? (assuming it goes well, of course)

2 weeks is plenty of time to ask for a letter. I know some fellow applicants who asked for letters after half a day of clinic (and got them). Sure they probably weren't super personal, but none-the-less, they received a letter.