Contacting PDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj_smooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it's kosher to email PDs about their programs and if they see it as annoying. Any thoughts? There are couple of programs I'd like to email, but hate to get blacklisted because I bugged the PD with an email inquiry.

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to get an interview, a letter from a faculty member the PD knows is even better. Ask a mentor or recommender with connections in the area to send a personalized letter on your behalf- could be as simple as your LOR with a personal salutation and an extra few sentences.

If you explain your genuine interest in a few programs and the faculty are supportive, it's an easy way to raise your profile without being "that guy".

I did talk to my PD about a certain program where he said he knows the PD at that program real well - I know he offered to write me a LOR. I did a month at that institution in another department but the attending was willing to write me a strong LOR. Will these help?

Depends on what you're asking for. Please do not email PDs asking for information that is clearly contained on their web sites or FRIEDA.

Most programs will have contact names on FRIEDA - I'd suggest startingwith that person (who is often a program coordinator). If they can't answer your query they'll bump it up to the PD.