Considering applying for post residency MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roseph84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my final year of IM training and have literally struggled through the residency. Many times I thought about quitting but I kept hoping that I would eventually find the area of medicine that I loved. Alas, that eureka moment never happened. In fact, I realized that I really don't like clinical medicine in this country. We are overworked and underpaid for the sacrifices we make and it only seems to be getting worse....which has made me a bit bitter.

In my quest for glory, I have had 2 recurring themes and one of them is to apply for an MBA (the other is repeating residency in a different specialty). The MBA looks like a decent option from many aspects but unfortunately I feel like my point of view has been shaped by some of the success stories I have encountered. If I wanted to go into consulting, would I really need the MBA? I'm sure it would be helpful to have, but I'm just wondering if the 2 additional years of time and tuition would be worth it. It seems many people on this forum got consulting jobs without it. Saying that, I plan on taking my GRE in a few months in preparation to apply.

For the record, I am a US grad from a state med school and am finishing residency at an "ivy" hospital. I really would want to be in NYC and I am hoping I could stand a chance at Columbias or NYUs MBA program.

Given hard work is put into the MBA, what kind of opportunities could I expect afterwards with consulting? I also have an interest in entrepreneurial paths afterwards. Does anyone have experience with this path? I would love to hear your experiences, since this is such a broad area.

Members don't see this ad.

MBA not necessary. You can easily get into consulting with your MD and residency. Look into McKinsey. Do that for a couple years. It is far better to get non-theoretical experience. You'll also make connections that will lead to future opportunities elsewhere.