confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this post is probably going to sound a little self-pitying, but please, if you have any thoughts, share.

okay, so i'm a first-year DO student interested in derm. i'm well aware that it will be an uphill battle, and chances are slim that i'll match somewhere.

the situation is that i've been fortunate enough to land a summer research gig with a prominent dermatologist at a well-respected allopathic school. at first, i was elated, and thought "okay, so i'll get some great research experience, maybe a publication, meet the derm. faculty and make them fall in love with me, cultivate the love-affair during the next 2.5 years, and come match time, i'll land a spot at the program."

but the more i read this, and other forums, the more i get discouraged. that no matter how good a DO applicant is, it's unlikely he'll be taken over an allopathic applicant. i could kill myself trying to impress this dermatologist and the faculty, get publications, recommendations, score 250 on the USMLE, and still fail to match.

i guess i'm looking for advice on whether the summer gig is worth it. the reason i'm asking is that it's unpaid, meaning housing, food, etc would come out of my pocket. my immediate conflict is that i have another offer for summer work from the chairman of the allergy/immunology dept. at another program, who would pay me a reasonable stipend.

i realize a few thousand dollars is meaningless, but i don't want to feel like i'm wasting my time with the derm. work if i'm doomed to go unmatched. it'd be great experience, undoubtedly, but then so would the other position, which also would be funded.

so i guess i'm just looking for perspective on some, or all of this.

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

javandane said:
this post is probably going to sound a little self-pitying, but please, if you have any thoughts, share.

okay, so i'm a first-year DO student interested in derm. i'm well aware that it will be an uphill battle, and chances are slim that i'll match somewhere.

the situation is that i've been fortunate enough to land a summer research gig with a prominent dermatologist at a well-respected allopathic school. at first, i was elated, and thought "okay, so i'll get some great research experience, maybe a publication, meet the derm. faculty and make them fall in love with me, cultivate the love-affair during the next 2.5 years, and come match time, i'll land a spot at the program."

but the more i read this, and other forums, the more i get discouraged. that no matter how good a DO applicant is, it's unlikely he'll be taken over an allopathic applicant. i could kill myself trying to impress this dermatologist and the faculty, get publications, recommendations, score 250 on the USMLE, and still fail to match.

i guess i'm looking for advice on whether the summer gig is worth it. the reason i'm asking is that it's unpaid, meaning housing, food, etc would come out of my pocket. my immediate conflict is that i have another offer for summer work from the chairman of the allergy/immunology dept. at another program, who would pay me a reasonable stipend.

i realize a few thousand dollars is meaningless, but i don't want to feel like i'm wasting my time with the derm. work if i'm doomed to go unmatched. it'd be great experience, undoubtedly, but then so would the other position, which also would be funded.

so i guess i'm just looking for perspective on some, or all of this.

thanks guys
No one can predict your ultimate success with regards to Derm,but if thats what you want then its worth making this preliminary effort.A couple of DOs do match into allopathic Derm most years but your best chance to match by far is to focus on DO derm programs, and since you are only a first year student you can do this research experience(which can only solidify your credentials no matter where you apply) ,and still cultivate DO Derm conatcts in the next few years.You are way ahead of many other applicants who dont get interested until much later.
People interested in Derm have to be prepared to do this kind of thing with no guarantees.Who knows they might really like you at this program and anything is then possible.If you end up applying for Family Practice or IM in the end at least you will feel you made the effort for Derm.