Please tell me what "published research" really means. MS0 here and confused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooke12

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told a great many of the derm applicants have published research, but in my MS0 ignorance, I'm not sure I even know what you guys mean when you say "published research."

Does that mean the derm applicant did his own original research with the guidance of a mentor, the derm applicant was 1st author of a manuscript he wrote himself, and published it in a journal?

Or does it mean the applicant helped on a PI's research project, the PI wrote a manuscript, the PI published it in a journal and listed the derm applicant as 5th author (just an example)?

I guess I'm asking, do you have to be 1st author or can you be simply named on the paper as a coauthor to say you have published research?

Members don't see this ad.

Coauthor is fine.

Obviously it holds a lot more weight to be 1st author.

Coauthor is fine.

Obviously it holds a lot more weight to be 1st author.

Thanks.

I was listed as a coauthor on a basic science (non-derm) paper published by my undergrad PI. Will I still be able to list that publication on ERAS when it comes to apply for residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can. Most people are more interested in what you did during medical school. Having derm-related research is also more likely to stimulate conversation during interviews than non-derm-related research.

I've been told a great many of the derm applicants have published research, but in my MS0 ignorance, I'm not sure I even know what you guys mean when you say "published research."

Does that mean the derm applicant did his own original research with the guidance of a mentor, the derm applicant was 1st author of a manuscript he wrote himself, and published it in a journal?

Or does it mean the applicant helped on a PI's research project, the PI wrote a manuscript, the PI published it in a journal and listed the derm applicant as 5th author (just an example)?

I guess I'm asking, do you have to be 1st author or can you be simply named on the paper as a coauthor to say you have published research?

simple definition is... if you go on pubmed.org and type your name, you have something there.

either that, or you've submitted your paper somewhere already. but even then, it doesn't mean that your paper will get accepted.