Compensation per RVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananasewq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- looking at potential jobs following fellowship. One interesting job was listed at $~28 per RVU as a tele radiology position in a true private practice, M-F and occasional weekends. Half sub-specialty work in body/MSK/neuro, other half mixed specialty. Was wondering what people think of this job, if that’s any better or worse compared to corp rad compensation, and what typical PP compensation/RVU is. Other jobs just post salary and such, thought this job kinda stuck out as different

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think $40-50 is pretty standard for in-house PP. Don't know much about tele, but definitely lower.

Also have to take into account the actual case mix. A neuroradiologist reading 100% neuro at 35/RVU can make more with less effort than a general rad at 40-50/RVU if they are slogging through tons of xrays and doing fluoro.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are new grads really so in love with the idea of reading at home they’d take that sizable of a paycut?

Are new grads really so in love with the idea of reading at home they’d take that sizable of a paycut?
You might be surprised how many demand WFH. Plus, most tele jobs do not break pay into RVU and most grads have no clue what each study converts to in RVU.

You might be surprised how many demand WFH. Plus, most tele jobs do not break pay into RVU and most grads have no clue what each study converts to in RVU.
28/per is actually pretty good for tele work.

remote work is also so much more productive, meaning you can generate more per day reading at home than reading on site. no distractions, no commute, i do think overall it is better is terms of lifestyle and the money. caveat being you have to WORK

Reactions: 1 user
Although the compensation in academics is not on a per RVU basis, it is informative to divide the compensation by the RVU productivity for comparison. The median compensation in academics for diagnostic radiology is $57 per wRVU (range $47 for emergency, $97 for peds). For another point of comparison, Medicare reimburses at $34 per wRVU, which should be considered the floor for reimbursement.

I have heard of telerads paying $25/wRVU for only preliminary reports (ie, impression only, on emergency scans outside of the business day), in which case the practice that final signs get the rest of the professional fee reimbursement.

Therefore I think a $28/wRVU gig is a not-great deal for private practice unless you are willing to sacrifice for the flexibility of work-from-anywhere. It correlates to a lowest quartile academic job.

As noted above, it is a better deal if you read the better reimbursed studies like neuro MRI.

Last edited:
Although the compensation in academics is not on a per RVU basis, it is informative to divide the compensation by the RVU productivity for comparison. The median compensation in academics for diagnostic radiology is $57 per wRVU (range $47 for emergency, $97 for peds). For another point of comparison, Medicare reimburses at $34 per wRVU, which should be considered the floor for reimbursement.

I have heard of telerads paying $25/wRVU for only preliminary reports (ie, impression only, on emergency scans outside of the business day), in which case the practice that final signs get the rest of the professional fee reimbursement.

Therefore I think a $28/wRVU gig is a not-great deal for private practice unless you are willing to sacrifice for the flexibility of work-from-anywhere. It correlates to a lowest quartile academic job.

As noted above, it is a better deal if you read the better reimbursed studies like neuro MRI.

How old are these numbers? I feel like academics is squeezing a lot of their guys much harder nowadays than they used to.

28/per is actually pretty good for tele work.

remote work is also so much more productive, meaning you can generate more per day reading at home than reading on site. no distractions, no commute, i do think overall it is better is terms of lifestyle and the money. caveat being you have to WORK

Agree. That's a reasonable number for day-time remote work. There's enough penalty to disincentivize everyone going remote but its not terrible. If you read at a decent speed that's pretty fair compensation for basically zero interruptions and zero commute.

But isn't this ignoring the fact that there is a lot of other, non-RVU generating work to be done in academics? So it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. Whereas for the telerad 100% of their time presumably is generating RVUs, even more than if they were in a regular on-site PP.

But isn't this ignoring the fact that there is a lot of other, non-RVU generating work to be done in academics? So it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. Whereas for the telerad 100% of their time presumably is generating RVUs, even more than if they were in a regular on-site PP.
If academics were generating RVUs all the time, you think their compensation per RVU would be half as much?