comlex scores and specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Any help would be appreciated. I got my scores back recently and got 550. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet, but I've always liked a lot more of the IM-based subspecialties like heme/onc or cardio, infectious disease, etc. I don't know how competitive or noncompetitive my score is for the different fields. I'm guessing things like rads and anesthesiology, derm, etc. are way out of reach, which is okay, but how open can I be with my options? I didn't take the USMLE.

Hi guys,

Any help would be appreciated. I got my scores back recently and got 550. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet, but I've always liked a lot more of the IM-based subspecialties like heme/onc or cardio, infectious disease, etc. I don't know how competitive or noncompetitive my score is for the different fields. I'm guessing things like rads and anesthesiology, derm, etc. are way out of reach, which is okay, but how open can I be with my options? I didn't take the USMLE.

In terms of AOA, family, peds, Ob/gyn, emergency, internal, general surgery, psych, neurology, PM&R for sure.

In terms of Acgme...I don't know. Probably family, im, psych, and peds. You'd probably get a handful of EM invites.

I had 1 classmate match Acgme radiology radiology with 550 and another 1 match Acgme anesthesia with a mid 500. They didn't get many interviews, but they matched. If you took the usmle step 2 and did about average, it would improve your chances of matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

In terms of AOA, family, peds, Ob/gyn, emergency, internal, general surgery, psych, neurology, PM&R for sure.

In terms of Acgme...I don't know. Probably family, im, and psych for sure. You'd probably get a handful of EM invites. I don't know about the rest.

I had 1 classmate match Acgme radiology radiology with 550 and another 1 match Acgme anesthesia with a mid 500. They didn't get many interviews, but they matched. If you took the usmle step 2 and did about average, it would improve your chances of matching.

http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2011.pdf pg 15 and 17. Just wondering how people were able to match into any specialty with a failing comlex score? Also, wondering how some individuals somehow managed to receive greater than 800 on the comlex. Am I missing something?

? Also, wondering how some individuals somehow managed to receive greater than 800 on the comlex. Am I missing something?

Yeah, this has always bothered me too. Apparently it happens...it's just an indication of how the statistics behind the craplex are a total joke. You should never be able to score higher than the 'max score' on any standardized test. It's ludicrous.

In terms of Acgme...I don't know. Probably family, im, and psych for sure. You'd probably get a handful of EM invites. I don't know about the rest.

Thank you so much for the input! It gives me a great place to start doing some research!

Yeah, this has always bothered me too. Apparently it happens...it's just an indication of how the statistics behind the craplex are a total joke. You should never be able to score higher than the 'max score' on any standardized test. It's ludicrous.

:thumbup:

I dont know what specialty in particular you are applying for. I can speak to ortho, and my program specifically. A 600+ gets you in the door. However, in the past 2-3 years, the scores applying to our program have been 650+. I think our three interns had a 650+. Not everyone is as anal as we do and I can tell you a good board score does NOT make a good resident.

Your work ethic and character have a tremendous impact at the places that you do an away rotation at.

AACOM has a document that lists all of the DO specialties and the average stats of the students who matched, including board scores. In the end, no one knows for sure and no one can give you a correct answer, as each program varies as to what they are looking for in a student.

Here is the link to the document: http://www.aacom.org/data/Pages/default.aspx (click on Osteopathic GME Match Report 2011)

Everyone should be reviewing these documents: Osteopathic GME Match Report 2009 and 2011!

Only one student has ever broken 800 and it was AT Still.

Interested in anesthesiology, and possibly IM or EM

USMLE Step 1: 233
COMLEX Level 1: 627

not sure whether to go AOA or ACGME

Interested in anesthesiology, and possibly IM or EM

USMLE Step 1: 233
COMLEX Level 1: 627

not sure whether to go AOA or ACGME

Check out the DO EM programs you're interested in as you would have an excellent shot at your pick.

ACGME for anesthesia and IM.

Though gotta add, typically EM peeps cannot stand IM. Yeah there are the exceptions who do IM/EM (sylvanthus) but majority would rather chew their arm off than round everyday of their career.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACGME Anesthesia...you may not consider fellowship now, but if you decide to pursue one later, you will not regret the decision to choose ACGME Anesthesia.

Any thoughts on a 223 USMLE1/553 COMLEX1 for ACGME IM?

was thinking about throwing my lot in for AOA anesthesia or ER as well.

How would a 526 COMLEX fare in ACGME IM or PM&R? (AOA IM is in the mix, but not as worried about that...appreciate the advice!)

How would a 526 COMLEX fare in ACGME IM or PM&R? (AOA IM is in the mix, but not as worried about that...appreciate the advice!)

Probably a community program for IM that is familiar with your school. No idea about PM&R.

Thanks for the earlier advice. I was wondering if anyone has any details on how my 550 COMLEX score would fair for EM specifically, AOA or ACGME? I didn't take Step 1 USMLE, but I was thinking of taking Step 2 for COMLEX and USMLE next summer. Any help appreciated, especially for anyone in EM right now.

It's good enough for aoa em. Youll probably get a handful of acgme invites.

Complex level 1: 644
USMLE: 239

I want to match MD in NY or nj, non-surgery but other then that I'm not sure. What specialties would consider taking me, considering how competitive NY area is?

Comlex : 685
USMLE: 233

Thinking ACGME EM or Gen Surg. Thoughts on either?

Hope you don't mean ACGME gen surg because that would be more of a battle than it's worth.

Hope you don't mean ACGME gen surg because that would be more of a battle than it's worth.

I think he/she could match a community program without too much difficulty.

Can you elaborate more on this? If you have knowledge on the package needed to match ACGME GS I'd love to hear it. I know a decent amount of DOs match every year.

Can you elaborate more on this? If you have knowledge on the package needed to match ACGME GS I'd love to hear it. I know a decent amount of DOs match every year.

Research helps

Hey guys just wanted some input and your honest opinion: I am a 4th year DO student, and I want to do ophtho or derm as a specialty. I have not done any rotations at a place where I want to apply yet. My stats are as follows:
comlex 1: 408 (fell asleep during the exam, not kidding!) :(
comlex 2: 564

I did not take usmle, but want to take it prob in may 2014 before graduating.

I would love to match in florida if at all possible.

What should I do to compensate for my crappy scores? do I have a shot this year?

If I don't have a shot this year, what should I go for or do next year?

All of your advices are greatly appreciated, because I am lost and overwhelmed by this whole freaking process!!!:confused:

Hey guys just wanted some input and your honest opinion: I am a 4th year DO student, and I want to do ophtho or derm as a specialty. I have not done any rotations at a place where I want to apply yet. My stats are as follows:

What should I do to compensate for my crappy scores? do I have a shot this year?

I think I don't have a shot this year, so what should I go for next year?

All of your advices are greatly appreciated, because I am lost and overwhelmed by this whole freaking process!!!:confused:

Realistically... no chance this year and most likely ever.

Realistically... no chance this year and most likely ever.

Gither, although I know that I am in a bad position now, I am the kind of person that believes things are possible... is all a matter of finding out how. Your comment does not sound at all like an advice, but more like a jaded/sarcastic comment.

I think that a lot of us come here to get hope and guidance, and would like to keep it like that if at all possible. If you are the "lucky one" that got 899, "congrats" for you, but please try to post positive/constructive comments.

thanx:eyebrow:

Last edited:
Gither, although I know that I am in a bad position now, I am the kind of person that believes things are possible... is all a matter of finding out how. Your comment does not sound at all like an advice, but more like a jaded/sarcastic comment.

I think that a lot of us come here to get hope and guidance, and would like to keep it like that if at all possible. If you are the "lucky one" that got 899, "congrats" for you, but please try to post positive/constructive comments.

thanx:eyebrow:

You asked "do I have a shot this year?" ...I answered your question. My comment doesn't sound like advice cause I didn't give you advice. This forum is useless if everyone just sugarcoats everything and gives positive comments. Sometimes some things are just not possible... accept it and adapt. I'd really like to read the post of someone saying you have a shot this year and then the advice that follows. You act like Im being an ass. I simply stated in my opinion you won't match derm or ophtho this year.

You asked "do I have a shot this year?" ...I answered your question. My comment doesn't sound like advice cause I didn't give you advice. This forum is useless if everyone just sugarcoats everything and gives positive comments. Sometimes some things are just not possible... accept it and adapt. I'd really like to read the post of someone saying you have a shot this year and then the advice that follows. You act like Im being an ass. I simply stated in my opinion you won't match derm or ophtho this year.

if you think you sound like an ass is prob because you are. I know that I wont get in this year, and you are absolutely right about that, however don't forget that you also added, and I quote ;"Realistically... no chance this year and most likely ever" if that is not an ass, then I don't know what it is then.

anyway, no point in wasting more time on this, at each one its own ;)

Best advice would be either find a less competitive specialty that is more realistic (ophtho and derm are literally two of the most competitive specialties) or do a TRI at a program willing to allow you do aways at AOA programs you're interested in... but even then you'll have to impress someone enough to choose you over people with much higher stats.

Unless you blow USMLE step 1 out of the water I don't see much chance for ACGME derm or ophtho even if you do decide to do a TY and apply for the match next fall.

if you think you sound like an ass is prob because you are. I know that I wont get in this year, and you are absolutely right about that, however don't forget that you also added, and I quote ;"Realistically... no chance this year and most likely ever" if that is not an ass, then I don't know what it is then.

I will start off with the pluses- You raised your school a good chunk congrats.

The negatives- Your scores will screen you out of the majority of DO Derm. Even the newish program in Texas had a cut off of almost 600. Also not having done any auditions in either field lowers your chances even more. So I agree your chances of matching either speciality is very very low( I won't say impossible because stranger things happen).

Also do you have research in either field? Strong grades? Connections? Lastly I would say taking the Usmle won't help you in either with the low match rates in Derm for DOs. What is your back up specialty?

I had a nice post full of what I thought was good advice, then I realized it's October you are a 4th who hasn't auditioned, barely passed boards and is deciding between the two most competitive specialties in the DO realm...Good luck bro, enjoy your scramble in February and feel good about a halfway decent troll post.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I didn't think I was being an ass, just brief and to the point. You asked if you'd match this year and I said no... if you know you won't match whyd you ask for and opinion... which is what I gave. I didn't forget I also added "realistically most likely never" cause realistically, you will most likely never match derm or ophtho...

Those scores will not get you into derm or optho. A connection, outstanding letters or audition rotations, research or some other factor might give you an outside shot, but the scores are nothing special, and for those two specialties, you need to be exceptional, especially as a DO.

My question is, why those two? They have very little in common, aside from great money and lifestyle (derm moreso, I guess, as there are certainly a fair number of eye emergencies you would need to be on call for). What is it that you like to do? What appeals to you in day-to-day practice? While the scores aren't super competitive, they're not a deal breaker for most specialties, especially considering a) the big improvement on level 2 and b) the good explanation for why level 1 didn't go so well (though I don't feel qualified to tell you whether or not sharing that explanation with a residency program would hurt or help). You're not locked in to FM/IM, provided the rest of your application is strong. Think about EM, OB, anesthesia, or a slightly higher tier of Peds/FM/IM/Psych/Neuro. Not sure about Gen Surg, but I guess that might be possible, too.

Those scores will not get you into derm or optho. A connection, outstanding letters or audition rotations, research or some other factor might give you an outside shot, but the scores are nothing special, and for those two specialties, you need to be exceptional, especially as a DO.

My question is, why those two? They have very little in common, aside from great money and lifestyle (derm moreso, I guess, as there are certainly a fair number of eye emergencies you would need to be on call for). What is it that you like to do? What appeals to you in day-to-day practice? While the scores aren't super competitive, they're not a deal breaker for most specialties, especially considering a) the big improvement on level 2 and b) the good explanation for why level 1 didn't go so well (though I don't feel qualified to tell you whether or not sharing that explanation with a residency program would hurt or help). You're not locked in to FM/IM, provided the rest of your application is strong. Think about EM, OB, anesthesia, or a slightly higher tier of Peds/FM/IM/Psych/Neuro. Not sure about Gen Surg, but I guess that might be possible, too.

Hi JediZero! That is a very good question you asked me about why those two specialties. Well, what I really want is a specialty that will allow me to do procedures and clinical. I have done 2 ophtho rotations and loved the combo between the surgery/office setting. I want a specialty where I can follow my patients for a long time as well. This is why I am considering those two. I also like IM, but there is no surgical procedures. I am not sure about other specialties like that...well, maybe ENT. Ortho too (but I don't like it). Any suggestions?:idea:

Hi JediZero! That is a very good question you asked me about why those two specialties. Well, what I really want is a specialty that will allow me to do procedures and clinical. I have done 2 ophtho rotations and loved the combo between the surgery/office setting. I want a specialty where I can follow my patients for a long time as well. This is why I am considering those two. I also like IM, but there is no surgical procedures. I am not sure about other specialties like that...well, maybe ENT. Ortho too (but I don't like it). Any suggestions?:idea:

You should also look into neurosurgery, plastics, and radonc.

Then why not FM. You can do some procedures and clinical work

Drop out of medical school and become a PA in them all!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

guys thanks for all of your suggestions! Still undecided on what to do until next match. TRI vs FM or IM and then a subspecialty (although this is 3 years). I will take USMLE 1 next year prob in may (have not signed up yet). If I do really well, then that may open some more possibilities for me:hungover:. what a tortuous journey :confused:

guys thanks for all of your suggestions! Still undecided on what to do until next match. TRI vs FM or IM and then a subspecialty (although this is 3 years). I will take USMLE 1 next year prob in may (have not signed up yet). If I do really well, then that may open some more possibilities for me:hungover:. what a tortuous journey :confused:

You should not take USMLE Step 1. I repeat, do not take USMLE Step 1.

Your 408 will not translate into a very good Step 1 score, especially this far out. The amount of studying you would have to do in order to achieve a score to make you competitive for either of your two specialties of choice would be astronomical. If anything taking Step 1 would be a very poor decision since you would likely not do well and your score may set you back even further.

I second what someone else said: do FM. You can still perform a fair amount on in-office procedures (i.e. cyst removal, joint injections/aspirations, skin cancer excisions, casting, abscess I&Ds, etc.) and be an excellent clinician.

You should not take USMLE Step 1. I repeat, do not take USMLE Step 1.

Your 408 will not translate into a very good Step 1 score, especially this far out. The amount of studying you would have to do in order to achieve a score to make you competitive for either of your two specialties of choice would be astronomical. If anything taking Step 1 would be a very poor decision since you would likely not do well and your score may set you back even further.

I second what someone else said: do FM. You can still perform a fair amount on in-office procedures (i.e. cyst removal, joint injections/aspirations, skin cancer excisions, casting, abscess I&Ds, etc.) and be an excellent clinician.
if I do end up doing FM , and then decide to go to another specialty, wouldn't that close my doors (vs IM, which has other subspecialties?). Wouldn't it be better then to do IM and then apply to whatever specialties? I am just saying this because I have heard this in the past! :confused: Thank you very much for your input guys!!!:)

if I do end up doing FM , and then decide to go to another specialty, wouldn't that close my doors (vs IM, which has other subspecialties?). Wouldn't it be better then to do IM and then apply to whatever specialties? I am just saying this because I have heard this in the past! :confused: Thank you very much for your input guys!!!:)

Good point and yes your are mostly correct. FM has a few fellowships but nothing like IM.

I would research the subspecialties you would want and go from there.