Columbia Post-Bacc - Here and Now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how's the campus around Columbia? I hear it's near Harlem, and in a bad neighbourhood. Do they have on campus residence with meal plans? Or am i gonna have to find a place of my own?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Columbia is in Morningside Heights, which is next to Harlem but you'd never know it. Harlem used to be a bad neighborhood, and is still a bit seedy, but for the past few years there's been a huge effort to "clean up" the area and make it safer/more pleasant. Obviously you should be careful at night no matter where in NYC you are, but you're safer there now than you would have been about five years ago.

As far as residence goes, to be perfectly honest, it's nearly impossible to get a room on campus for postbacs. They sometimes have a limited (and I emphasize "limited") number of rooms, but most likely you'll be looking for something near Columbia instead. It can be expensive, but I've seen pretty cheap rent there too if you can find it.

They do have meal plans, but I don't know the details since I'm rarely on campus long enough to eat. They also have a program called "Dining Dollars" that's more freestyle--you start an account on your ID, and put whatever amount you want on it for food. When you go to the cafe/deli/cafeteria, they swipe your card and deduct the amount. You can even add money to it online. By the way, I highly recommend John Jay for lunch or brunch--everything from scrambled eggs to pizza and a beautiful cafeteria to relax in. :)

Has anybody taken Calculus I with Tze Yi Chan? Since I'm starting this spring calc is pretty much the only class I can take, so I'm going to take it at night so that I can work full time. Also do the math classes have additional sections? I don't see them listed, so I was just wondering.

Thanks Again! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I'm taking Darren Glass' section. I haven't heard one way or the other about Chan, except that he's a grad student.

I don't believe Calc I has any additional classwork besides the lectures; I could be wrong, but since we didn't have to register for recitation or anything I'm pretty sure we're in the clear.

Hey. :) I just finished my first semester in the postbacc program...Calc doesn't have additional recitations, just the lecture time, and homework consists of these problem sets online ("webwork") and some profs also assign work from the book.

And to second what NYCmed said, Columbia/Morningside Heights itself is a nice neighborhood that just blends into the Upper West Side if you go south. Harlem is to the east and north of Columbia, but again like NYCmed said, it's not as bad as it once was. And if you stray east of campus, Morningside Park and its cliff drop will give you a heads up before hitting Harlem (it's called Morningside Heights for a reason). ;-) As for housing, things get a little more sketchy as you get near 125th, and it's a pain to get to campus from anywhere on the East Side. Best bet is to try and find something along the 1/9 on the Metro (Columbia's main campus is at the 116 stop) which goes down the West side of Manhattan.

Dining Dollars are probably a good idea for hitting up the many cafes around campus (one postbacc spot is Uris), and I think if you use dining dollars you don't get charged tax. It's probably cheaper to buy and cook food on your own than do the dining plan...I don't remember exact details, but I remember thinking that it was a bit outrageous...

Oh, and NYCmed, my mom went to Drew, how did you like it? :)

Thanks for the info, jaob2003. :) I actually enjoyed Drew very much; Tom Kean has done a great deal to make it a successful university. I majored in both Theatre Arts and Classics, and the faculty of both departments were very supportive. I even go back for some DUDS performances and to Reunions when the opportunity presents itself.

Columbia has many of the same aspects of Drew. It's a beautiful campus as well, just bigger...much, much bigger. :laugh:

ah! I'd forgotten about this forum. thanks for the bump.
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer vacation. I just wanted to let you (meaning whoever is still reading this forum) know the following: Rumor has it that there is talk of creating an online BBS/forum for Columbia Post-Bacc students (past, current, future). That's all I know for now, but keep your eyes peeled!

cheers,
Q