Columbia Post-Bacc - Here and Now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYCmed said:
Kind of off-topic (but still dealing with this thread): for recognizing fellow SDN'ers at Orientation, maybe we should wear ribbons of a certain color or something? It's safer than giving our real names over the Internet, and better than slapping a "Hello, I'm from SDN" name tag on. :p Just a thought. Anyone else have an idea?

Hmm...I dunno if the guys are going to dig the whole ribbon thing...Just a thought... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

kittieruby said:
Hmm...I dunno if the guys are going to dig the whole ribbon thing...Just a thought... ;)
Good point. Well...maybe a manly color? :p :smuggrin: That's all I can come up with, but I'm open to other ideas.

NYCmed said:
Good point. Well...maybe a manly color? :p :smuggrin: That's all I can come up with, but I'm open to other ideas.

i have an idea.

SDN'ers - wear HATS. i'll be wearing my yellow visor. look for me!

if you dont feel like wrecking your hair, then carry a hat or something.

the key - HATS.

see you and your hats. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...anyone have any suggestions for prep books for chem and math for the placement tests? I don't mind taking the prechem if need be, but I don't want to waste time and money having to take basic math. Blah! :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to go to the book store this weekend...

...Looking forward to late night study breaks at Tom's Diner!

Thanks ya'll! :D

Hats work for me--I'll have my Red Sox hat. :)

I went to the PPS and placement exams on Monday...they handed out some useful yet not ground-breaking info at the PPS and had us schedule the preliminary meeting with our advisors for that day/the following days (during which you register for classes). PPS involved a lot of postbac cheerleading.

Is anyone else full-time and doing day classes? I thought it would be easier to start with the day classes, since I'm still used to that schedule, and switch to evenings if I wanted than to get used to night classes and switch to day classes...anyway, if anyone is doing physics, calc, and chem during the day, I'd be happy to share my schedule (gotta stick together against the undergrads).

Ah yes, the exams. Three hours of my life gone, but the exams weren't as bad as I thought they would be. As far as I can recall, the math exam really does stick to the topics they listed, and chem was really high school chem. For math, I looked over the books they recommended (a friend happened to have them), but those can be hard to find--check out the Cliff Notes QuickReview algebra or precalc books, and compare the table of contents with the list they gave...i got the precalc one, and the first chapter reviewed a lot of the basic algebra topics for the first math exam. For chem I had gotten this teach yourself chemistry book, that I found fairly annoying, but got the job done. I hesitate to recommend it...one thing that bugged me is that they consistently interchanged weight and mass, which was one of the few things I clearly could recall my high school chem teacher ranting not to do...just make sure to get a high school level book and not a college level book.

I can't pull off wearing a hat, but I can bring one along. :cool: I'll bring my black baseball cap with the AIDS ribbon on it. I'm fairly large (or big and beautiful as they call it now) so it's hard to miss me anyway. :smuggrin: I've been good friends with my treadmill for a while now, though, so hopefully that will change.

I'll just attach a hat with my sorority letters to the handles of my shoulder bag. Also, is anybody going to stick it out on the wait list for housing?? I've been searching Craigs List and have come across some potential spots, but it would be so much more convenient and economical to be in CU housing. The housing guy said that if I stay on the wait list I will almost definitely get housing mid-late September. I am from NYC so I can stay with the rents for a little while (my bedroom is now an office) but moving my stuff from LA is going to be a bummer. Ugh, and I have to sell my car too!! Anybody in the SoCal region want to buy an SUV in perfect condition? :p

Hmm, on other notes...here I am three months after graduating college, working at a stressful desk all day in the entertainment industry, and so excited to be on the path towards something substantial in less than a month! But I guess I'm glad that I took the job, because it showed me that I really do want to be a doc. Good thing I realized before spending years here :D

Hey kittieruby. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I'll be moving from LA too! (I'm in Orange County right now). I have to leave my new car behind and I'm currently trying to look for housing. I'll be in NY Aug-15-17th to go to the PPS and to look for apts. I've also had experience in the entertainment industry with a couple of internships and I know what you mean that the business side of it sucks!

Hey guys,
Some questions I had that I got answered once I met with my advisor.

1) Direct Linkage can only be done if you have 15 credits by the time you are applying and only with one school. You also pretty much have to have stellar grades as well and definitely, you have to take your MCATs. The med school you choose will just consider you for an interview that year instead of having to wait the next year.

2) try to get the first available advisor planning session as some of the labs/recitations are already closed by the registrar so choice is rather limited by that. i'm sure it will be more flexible once add/drop starts and people start shuffling around but just a heads up.

3) You don't HAVE to take the chem placement exam. I told them I took Gen chem 5 years ago and they said I could just take Orgo if I wanted to.

4) You can complete the program as quickly as you can (if that's what you want) and for me, taking just physics and orgo and taking the MCATS in April is possible (which I didn't know if they would allow that).

Hmmm...I'd be happy to answer any other questions if I know the answers!

Anyone else taking physics and/or organic chemistry this fall? If anyone's interested in study groups, let me know. It's pretty overwhelming once classes get started to know who is/isn't a post-bac and we're coming from totally different situations than the undergrad students.

Good luck everyone. I hope we can meet in person. My real name is Sarah Lee and we can post our pictures if we want to see familiar faces once we get there at the end of the month. I'm all about finding as much support as possible!

Take care,
Sarah

Good job on getting in youse guys. Still waiting to hear. Ive got half a mind to quit my job in case the Fed ex guy shows up. Feelin good though. No worries

Crossing my fingers for you, Brerwolf. :)

Hello Columbia people,

I too received admittance. It took them 6 weeks. I know it took my ex much less time, but she had top grades from Brown. Me different.

Anyway, I am still conflicting, as I can go to SUNY Stony Brook, live in a more serene setting and not spend nearly as much (Columbia being 6x as much in tuition.)

Please see my posting under the Post Bacc Thread, and tell me what you think.

They told me I would get their decision in a couple of days on the 9th. After a little phone tag I was told any day now. Does anyone know if they send app results by email?

Members don't see this ad :)
My results came by FedEx overnight. Of course I had to be busy the day it arrived and wait an entire weekend to get my hands on the folder. :rolleyes: Nothing came by e-mail, though. Hope you get your package soon!

Brerwolf said:
They told me I would get their decision in a couple of days on the 9th. After a little phone tag I was told any day now. Does anyone know if they send app results by email?

Hi all I did not make the cut. I've taken too many sci classes too many times. That's from the Asst DOA. They want students that are taking Chem I ,II Org I,II for the 3rd time or less. I'm going to take courses at Mercy College and make my own post-bac program. So congrats you guys and please don't link to Brown. It's going to hard enough to get in as it is.

HEY you columbians... how did you like orientation today?

i really wish i could put a face to your screenames....

:)

how is that going to work....

and NOONE wore hats. :p

Is anyone in Columbia Post-bacc this fall going to take Blaer's physics and Stacey Brydges Chemistry?? I am!! and i'd love to form a study group.

show yourselves

hiya fellow Columbia post-baccs!

jeanslee, I would have worn/carried a hat, but I'd been away from SDN so didn't see your initative post until just now. I think I did see you with your yellow visor.. I might have even talked to you, but my memory is nearly non-existent when it comes to meeting new people.

I was actually enrolled in Blaer's Gen. Physics class, but I'm considering taking the Honors Physics class with Shaevitz, which I think is the Calc-based physics class that the PMA people were talking about during the "moderated forum" thing.

Any other Columba post-baccs doing the same?

I'll be taking the Brydges Chemistry class this semester. Let's try to meet up somehow.

Hey you guys!!

How is it going at CU so far? Ugh, I don't know what to do!!! I know that the program started last Monday, but I've had problems with my mother...she's very sick, and I didn't even call in to say that I couldn't go to the program - it hasn't even been on my mind b/c of my mother. But my mother keeps telling me to go because she knows how much I want to be a doctor. I just don't know what to do. I'm in such a delicate situation right now with my mother...how are the classes? Is it feasible for me to come in a week late? Please, someone let me know!!! Please write back ASAP with advice. I want so much to start the program and not wait but will they let me in a week late and understand my circumstances?? HELP!!!! :(

kittieruby said:
Hey you guys!!

How is it going at CU so far? Ugh, I don't know what to do!!! I know that the program started last Monday, but I've had problems with my mother...she's very sick, and I didn't even call in to say that I couldn't go to the program - it hasn't even been on my mind b/c of my mother. But my mother keeps telling me to go because she knows how much I want to be a doctor. I just don't know what to do. I'm in such a delicate situation right now with my mother...how are the classes? Is it feasible for me to come in a week late? Please, someone let me know!!! Please write back ASAP with advice. I want so much to start the program and not wait but will they let me in a week late and understand my circumstances?? HELP!!!! :(

Kittieruby-
I wouldn't say it is impossible to still start the program, we haven't started class yet. . .But we start on Tuesday, 7 September. However provided you could find housing and relocate (if you have to) and get to school in time, the post-bacc office will probably be willing to help you out. I know that they said orientation and the pps were mandatory, but its not like they took attendance at either, and they allowed people who missed their pps to meet their advisor on orientation day. So, given your extenuating circumstances, they probably would be understanding. Keep in mind that you can always defer your acceptance for a semester (or even a year I think?) and start then.
-Crake

Crake said:
Kittieruby-
I wouldn't say it is impossible to still start the program, we haven't started class yet. . .

Wait, it's possible or impossible? Oh you didn't start classes yet?! That's great. I'm in NYC now, still apt. hunting but I'm at a family member's pad hoping everything works itself out.

I'm going to call ASAP on Tuesday.

Anybody else have any advice?

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't say it's impossible. So it ispossible. Sorry for being unclear. Anyway, that's just my impression from the program, there are people on this board who are more familiar with the way Columbia works in general that could probably be more use than I am. Good luck!

Also (and anybody please feel free to add) what was the oreintation like? Did they say anything that was super important to know?

Thanks!

well, yeah, there was a lot of information tossed out during orientation. Not necessarily important, but somewhat helpful--for instance, they showed us where the best places to study were, showed us where our classes would be held, little stuff like that. We also met some of the second years who talked to us about things like their volunteer experiences, taking classes during the day vs. night, etc. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help you out.
-Crake

Damn you NYC subways for making me 20 min late for the first day of class!

Crake said:
Damn you NYC subways for making me 20 min late for the first day of class!
Heh, try finding a parking space outside the Amsterdam Ave. gate at 12:30 in the afternoon without killing someone or getting yourself killed. Having a car really is a detriment in the city...

"Sorry, Professor, I was late because I was playing chicken with traffic from the opposite side of street as I tried to parallel park in a space half the size of my car while explaining to the folks who just pulled up behind me that, yes, I did in fact see the space first..." :rolleyes:

jeanslee said:
Is anyone in Columbia Post-bacc this fall going to take Blaer's physics and Stacey Brydges Chemistry?? I am!! and i'd love to form a study group.

show yourselves

Hey Jane and anyone else,
I'm going to be taking Brydges Chem starting tonight (long story), and I'd be greatly indebted to someone for the use of their notes for an hour or so, so I can get on top of things.
Thanks,
Ryan

drdoom said:
Hey Jane and anyone else,
I'm going to be taking Brydges Chem starting tonight (long story), and I'd be greatly indebted to someone for the use of their notes for an hour or so, so I can get on top of things.
Thanks,
Ryan

brydges makes all her notes available online - in courseworks.

go to courseworks.columbia.edu, sign in, and get the goods from there.

see you in class!

jeanslee

Hi Columbia postbaccers. I am here to ask anyone for their help. I have completed my post-bac requirements a little while back and am about to apply to med school. In the meantime, I need to find a job preferably in the healthcare field. Columbia forwards great positions to their students but since I am no longer a student, I no longer have access to these postings. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to forward me listings? If you need some sort of compensation for your efforts, I'm sure we can work something out. Please email me at [email protected]. hope to hear from someone soon. :luck:

Just out of curiosity -

Are there any Post-baccs here at Columbia who are also Linux users?
"Also" meaning that I am one (mostly by hobby, slightly by former side-job-for-friends-and-family).
I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Hi guys,

I'm considering applying to the post-bac program at Columbia next fall, i.e. September. Has the application deadline for it already passed? Also, i don't even have credits in calculus or english, although i do have a year of biology, and one semester each of orgo, general chem and biochem. So will i be able to take calc and english in the post-bac program? Also, do they offer you opportunities in research/volunteer activities as part of the program? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey there, bravotwozero. :) I'm no admissions director, but you sound like a perfect candidate for Columbia's program. From what I can tell they specifically look for people in your situation and mine--people with few or no prereq's fulfilled. I got in with only the English requirement fulfilled (and to answer your question, you can fulfill your English and Calc prereq's during the postbac program.) They might make you retake some courses, since you only had one semester in a few of them, but that isn't for me to say since there are always exceptions.

I'm fairly certain you're early if you're applying for the Fall of 2005, particularly since they have a Summer semester as well as the regular schoolyear. If you apply now, you might get in for the Spring or Summer '05 semester, although you can always defer until Fall '05. Good luck in your decisions. :luck:

P.S.--Sorry, quartertone, I'm a stuck-in-Microsoft-land user over here. No Linux in my computer's blood. :p

Edited to add: I completely forgot about your second question. :oops: They give advice (as well as names and addresses) for volunteer positions throughout the city, but it's ultimately you who makes the calls and signs yourself up. 120 hours of volunteer work is a requirement for the program, but as they told us, "volunteer work" is pretty much anything medically-related (paid or not) that you feel you're learning something from. As for research, job offers and positions come through e-mail often, although it's usually more geared for the "lag" year, sufficient-free-time postbac students. Hope that helped. :D

Thank you very much NYCmed. That did help a lot. I'm definitely gonna have columbia at the top of my list when i'm looking at post-bacc programs. :)

do you know answers to these questions for application to the columbia post-bac premed program?

1. Will I need letters of reference from professors or
employers?

2. Is sending in a resume recommended?

3. If I sign up for the spring term, what classes can
I take? Is the first semester of science classes
offered? [During my freshman year (1999-2000) I took
general chem for both semesters and one semester of
multivariable calculus and English. I probably have to
take them again.]

3. I'd like to work full time this coming semester so
I would like to take evening classes. What time do
classes meet? And what is the recommended number of
classes or credits for students who are working full
time?

4. I understand that it's $768 for each point. Does
one point equal to one credit. So if i take a year of
organic chemistry (9 credits), it would be $6912?

5. When do applicants fill out the fafsa? Are there
scholarships? Do I need documentation of my
saving/checking accounts?

6. Is it easier for Columbia postbac premed graduates
to get into linkage programs compared to getting into
other medical schools?

THanks!

relaxingtoday:

Wow, you've done your homework! ;) I'll take a crack at it:

1. I don't recall Columbia requiring LORs, although I had two of my undergrad professors (my advisors) send one just to be safe.

2. No resume is required. The only things required are found on the application itself: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gs/pbappl.pdf

3a. The only courses you're allowed to take "out of sequence" to my knowledge are Physics and Math. Bio, Orgo and Chem all start in the Fall. You may or may not have to re-take the courses you already have, depending on what the advisors tell you. If you've already taken a year of English, chances are pretty good you won't need to take it again.

3b. The CU directory of classes is at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/bulletin/uwb/. The evening courses are listed for each subject as well as the day courses. As for recommended number of classes, I guess it depends on your schedule. Some find that one class is enough, while others feel they can juggle two classes with their workload.

4. You may want to check the figure you have--I'm paying $968 a credit. Welcome to Ivy League. :rolleyes: You are correct that one point = one credit.

5. You have until July 2005 to file FAFSA for '05/'06. It's too late to apply for the '04/'05 year. There's no scholarship for the first year; there's limited merit-based assistance for the second year. No savings/checking documentation necessary.

6. I wouldn't say it's "easier". From what I can tell, you need to have done well in all of your classes to be accepted into one of the linkage schools. The linkage helps mainly in giving you priority over other non-Columbia postbac applicants, but doesn't make it so easy as to be "guaranteed" a spot.

Hope this helped. Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
All I can say is that it may be true that Columbia takes many of its applicants, it may also be true that there is a high rate of attrition, yet those who are here are very serious and very dedicated. That's my impression at least. I don't know anyone (minus myself) who does not have significant experience in healthcare already. All in all, I would say that those in the postbacc program are top notch--so either Columbia only takes top notch students, or only top notch students apply, that's my impression from the inside. It is true that you can go somewhere else and do better--I think CU is significantly more difficult than most universities--but you won't get the same opportunities for volunteering and research that you get here. We get an amazing number of emails from faculty members looking for research assistants and there are many organized volunteer programs with area hospitals. Plus, adcoms have to know that there is a difference between taking physics at Columbia and getting an A and taking it a podunk western state university and getting an A.
My .02
-Crake

Last edited:
jbing said:
Crake -

I speak of Columbia program from my own first hand experience.

As far as not getting the same volunteer opportunites, that is bogus. It's funny to even suggest that *volunteer* opportunites are reserved exclusively for one group or another. You don't need to be a Columbia postbacc to find excellent volunteer opportunities. Hospitals take volunteers from any school, any age, any walk of life. Sometimes you don't even have to be a student.

I agree that Columbia probably has a slight advantage in obtaining research opportunities, but a person who chooses a postbacc program based on research opportunities simply doesn't understand what is important in preparing for medical school.

And you are right that an A from Columbia holds more weight than an A from some run of the mill state school. But here you are assuming that everyone gets A's in the program.

Fact is, only a handful of postbaccs will get an A in any given class, and in every class except biology, there are by definition only so many A's given out. What happens to the rest of the people that don't get those A's (~80% of the class)? Think about that.

Hi all,

Having just finished the Columbia two year program this past May, I'd like to chime in with my 2 cents.

Pros:
1) it has a name (whatever that's worth)
2) Level of education is good (not to say it isn't at Hunter, I just don't know)
3) The job postings the post bac office sends around are excellent. I worked throughout program at a big hospital in NYC in a lab and got 18 credits a year in tuition reimbursement). This reason alone is a big plus. Again, I have no clue whether Hunter has similar postings which is shared with students.

Cons:
1) cost. If you don't work throughout program (I did work), you will end up with debt of $70,000-80,000. I have debt of $20,000. Had I not worked, I would seriously have considered Hunter.
2) Classes are with the undergrads and often curved together with them. That makes for a very competitive curve. If you have been out of school for a while (I was for 10 years), this sort of sucks. I hear places like Bryn Mawr, competition is much less intense b/c- provided you do the work- you pretty much will finish program. Attrition rate at Columbia is high (from people who start program to people who see it through all the way). No stats are available, but, anectodally, I know of several people who left for a variety of reasons (cost, grades, change of heart....)
3) The vagueness of statistics the post bacc office has/shares constantly causes stress in the students. Although the program has been in business for 50 years, they have almost no statistics of where/how many/which students matriculate to which schools. This, in my view, is truly pathetic.

There You Have It (my 2 cents),

Good Luck

When I say "volunteer" I'm including unpaid research. Yes, anyone and everyone can go volunteer in their local ED. However, having a faculty member at Columbia P&S or Cornell Weil take you under their wing, let you shadow and scrub in to observe procedures, encourge and help you to get published--these are opportunities I've had at Columbia that I know none of the premeds at my undergrad had--and I've only been here for a couple of months.

JBing says that Columbia is tough and its hard to get A's. Although I believe that postbaccs do better than the undergrads in a given class (simply because they have fewer classes to take), not every post-bacc gets an A. That said, many still do. I mean, its hard but its not impossible. Don't come here if you're not very confident in your abilities and equally motivated. Columbia is hard; it's not a good place for people who can't hack hard classes and hard work, but for those who can, they will do fine. Those who like to whine and make excuses, on the other hand, will probably drop out.

As for the program taking a hit--this is news to me! I know of several grads that I volunteer with who have an avalanche of interviews and acceptances, so if the program has fallen on hard times, I guess the adcoms haven't gotten wind of it yet! Also, a large portion of the program are Columbia College graduates; I find it hard to believe that undergrads here would matriculate into the program if it had a bad reputation. I mean, they must know their own university, so their presence in and of itself is an encouraging endorsement.

Anyway, someone also mentioned the debt.
While I'll have nowhere near 70,000, it is expensive. My advice: just take the minimum classes necessary to get the certificate and the premed committee recommendation. Then, during the lag year, do an SMP--that way biochem, physiology, etc. will at least count towards a masters.

Research and volunteer experience may not be THE key for getting into medschool--clearly MCATS and GPA are far more important. Nevertheless, there are no disadvantages to getting published or presenting a paper at a conference. If you can handle the hard work of class and studying for the mcats at the same time you're engaged in interesting research and volunteering, by all means do it; I believe the Columbia program is good for this type of person.

jbing said:
Crake -

I speak of Columbia program from my own first hand experience.

As far as not getting the same volunteer opportunites, that is bogus. It's funny to even suggest that *volunteer* opportunites are reserved exclusively for one group or another. You don't need to be a Columbia postbacc to find excellent volunteer opportunities. Hospitals take volunteers from any school, any age, any walk of life. Sometimes you don't even have to be a student.

I agree that Columbia probably has a slight advantage in obtaining research opportunities, but a person who chooses a postbacc program based on research opportunities simply doesn't understand what is important in preparing for medical school.

And you are right that an A from Columbia holds more weight than an A from some run of the mill state school. But here you are assuming that everyone gets A's in the program.

Fact is, only a handful of postbaccs will get an A in any given class, and in every class except biology, there are by definition only so many A's given out. What happens to the rest of the people that don't get those A's (~80% of the class)? Think about that.

Hey guys, hope all is well this fall at Columbia! I am a prospective post-bacc student applying to Columbia (and others) for fall 2005 and just stumbled upon this site. Thanks so much for all the great intelligence on this program and to SDN as a whole for providing the opportunity to discuss this nerve wracking process.

I had a couple questions and a sense from y'all if my application would be competitive. Though it does seem from the discussion that most get in, but few survive.

1. This program is the only post-bacc I'm applying to that does not require a recommendation...I know some have sent some anyway, but is this REALLY recommended?

2. Should I append a resume to the application? I have a boat load of health-related work experience, but the three lines for work history on the app don't do it justice.

And finally, my own background is as a Political Theory major from Michigan State (1999) GPA-3.2, no college science/math other than AP Bio credit from High School and a 3.0 in Calc I and a 2.0 in Meteorology (I gained a lot of respect for TV weather people! :laugh: ). Since then, however, I did health policy for various members on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, (Dingell, Moynihan, Sanders) and now represent professional and academic medical associations to CMS/HHS/NIH on regulatory and legislative matters as a Leg Dir at a law firm. I took the GRE and got 500V/690Q/5.5A.

I plan to apply to MPH programs and post-bacc programs because either way, I know that I want to be in health care, preferably as a doc, but if not, then my employer will pay for an MPH.

Any thoughts? I'm also applying to UPenn and Johns Hopkins post-bacc.

Thanks a lot for any and all replies! Hope you guys are having fun at Columbia this fall!

Hey Booradly,
You'll get in. Don't worry. They look at your GRE scores mine were very close to yours [640v/700q/5.5a] and your undergrad transcript. I was a political science major also; they prefer non-science majors. In fact, I don't think you can come here just to retake classes to make up for bad grades (you'd be crazy to do that anyway!) Like you, I had no background in the sciences, and it hasn't been a problem. They do make you take a chem placement exam during orientation to get into gen. chem. I studied a chem made simple type book over the summer and did fine on it. Its probably a good idea to brush up for that. Also, if you took calculus as an undergrad, you don't have to take it here. However, if you substituted ap credits, you do have to take it. Oh, and if you fail that chem placement exam, you have to take prechem. This can really set you back, because you can't take bio until you've taken chem, so make sure you pass it. Good luck, email me if you have any questions ([email protected])

Thanks, Crake. Very reassuring.

Any sense from you or others on how many hours one could safely work and still get good grades? I've got experience as a bartender and would love to pull a couple shifts at a bar close to campus.

Also, how many of you are living on or near the campus? I've got a hook up for a great, relatively cheap place in Brooklyn ($600/mo sharing a 3 BR with a couple), but an hour on the subway doesn't seem like a great motivator to go to class and network.

Hello...I'm a Columbia postbacc alum...*nostalgic tear*. Actually, Crake - you may have sat in on an orientation session I helped run - I was on the Premedical Association. I'm the short, hyper guy who bounced around a lot and who most likely spoke too fast.

Boo, if you do wind up coming to Columbia (and I agree with Crake; your stats are solid), the premedical association will host an informal Q/A with some current postbaccs who are in different steps of the program - they'll best answer your questions about working, volunteering, etc.

But, in the meantime, I can offer you some advice. During the first year, I worked about 25-30 hours a week. It got a little intense, but I pulled it out in the end - I'm a much better physics/chem sort of person than bio/orgo, so my first year grades were pretty stellar. The second year, for the first semester, I worked about the same number of hours, was on the premedical association - so was hosting little, sporadic postbacc-bonding events - and volunteered one day a week. And I almost drowned. Too much, too much! Second semester, I stopped working and just volunteered.

Second year is a lot harder than the first - but bartending sounds like a pretty sweet deal - it's a good way to earn some cash and let off some steam. Although, honestly, if you're going to work, it might be best to try and get a job in a lab or hospital. It might not be the most interesting work, but it will help with your applications...

Just my two cents. Best of luck!!

Ciao,
Tony

Yes, I do think I remember you. . .
Anyway, unlike Tony, I think that first year is incredibly hard. However this depends a lot on who you get for physics; my class if 5 chapters ahead of the other class and the workload is intense. I wouldn't recommend working either; I volunteer 8 hrs/wk on the weekend but I find this eats up a lot of time that I really could use to be studying instead.

Also, I wouldn't live in Brooklyn unless you must. Columbia is pretty far uptown. I was living in Brooklyn for a while before I got my apartment in Hell's Kitchen and it was pretty horrible. The D train is very unreliable and very packed. The commute to Columbia was about 45-50 min each way for me (from Carroll St. station). I also wouldn't live on the eastside because there's really no crosstown subway (except the 7) and crosstown busses are miserable. Find somewhere with close access to the 1-9 (red line). On a map, it looks like the A-C-E (blue line) runs right by Columbia but this is misleading--you have to walk through morningside heights to get to the campus, all uphill, and through an incredibly dangerous park that you don't want to get caught in at night. Like I said, I don't live near Columbia at all (roughly 35 minutes away--47th st.) but I really like where I live because midtown is much nicer than morningside heights. But then I also have many non-Columbia friends who live in the city and they all live in midtown so what works for me may not necessarily work for someone else. Also, my rent is 1000/month and yes, it does kill me.

ajt2003 said:
Hello...I'm a Columbia postbacc alum...*nostalgic tear*. Actually, Crake - you may have sat in on an orientation session I helped run - I was on the Premedical Association. I'm the short, hyper guy who bounced around a lot and who most likely spoke too fast.

Boo, if you do wind up coming to Columbia (and I agree with Crake; your stats are solid), the premedical association will host an informal Q/A with some current postbaccs who are in different steps of the program - they'll best answer your questions about working, volunteering, etc.

But, in the meantime, I can offer you some advice. During the first year, I worked about 25-30 hours a week. It got a little intense, but I pulled it out in the end - I'm a much better physics/chem sort of person than bio/orgo, so my first year grades were pretty stellar. The second year, for the first semester, I worked about the same number of hours, was on the premedical association - so was hosting little, sporadic postbacc-bonding events - and volunteered one day a week. And I almost drowned. Too much, too much! Second semester, I stopped working and just volunteered.

Second year is a lot harder than the first - but bartending sounds like a pretty sweet deal - it's a good way to earn some cash and let off some steam. Although, honestly, if you're going to work, it might be best to try and get a job in a lab or hospital. It might not be the most interesting work, but it will help with your applications...

Just my two cents. Best of luck!!

Ciao,
Tony

hi everyone,
first of all getting into any post bacc program is not difficult - they are just looking for the money. several MDs I've spoken to say that it's better to go to an average post bacc school (not some community college) but get good grades and do well on MCAT. I don't think that schools are in a position to judge you based on which post bacc school you went to. I don't think their education better prepares you for MCAT either - all basic sciences have essentially the same material, so why go to Columbia with all the competition when you can go to SUNY with less stress? (and cheaper, in case you're not accepted) I really can't imagine it being so difficult getting into med school, some doctors I know are real idiots (one of them being my professor).

lak201c said:
hi everyone,
first of all getting into any post bacc program is not difficult - they are just looking for the money. several MDs I've spoken to say that it's better to go to an average post bacc school (not some community college) but get good grades and do well on MCAT. I don't think that schools are in a position to judge you based on which post bacc school you went to. I don't think their education better prepares you for MCAT either - all basic sciences have essentially the same material, so why go to Columbia with all the competition when you can go to SUNY with less stress? (and cheaper, in case you're not accepted) I really can't imagine it being so difficult getting into med school, some doctors I know are real idiots (one of them being my professor).

I sort of agree - but I think it sort of depends on where you want to go to medical school. Although it's not hard to get into a postbacc program, it *is* hard to do well in a postbacc program - especially at Columbia. If you want to go to an Ivy medical school (or a top 15), then going to Columbia - and doing well - will be of more use to you than if you completed your premedical prerequisites at another institution.

I know a lot of people who did extraordinarily well on the MCAT, but who didn't go to "prestigious" undergrads - and they're not getting the high number of interviews they had expected. Postbacc school is merely an extension of this mentality.

So, to close, although the MCAT is considered the great equilizer, your undergrad (or postbacc) school's reputation is important...if you want to be the *most* competitive. Just depends on what you want.

And, um, I think it is hard to get into medical school - unfortunately, some *****s make it through the screening process...like your prof. That's annoying.

Hey Everyone!

How is the post-bac program going at Columbia?? I defered to start this coming May instead of last May like I was originally supposed to in order to pursue some things and make sure I really want to be a doc. Well I do, so I'm excited to start this May. Did anyone start in the summer and take any of those "pre-req" courses? Can anybody rec. good profs? Any things I should know? In technicality I could start this coming January but that would put everything off schedule right? Also has anybody had any good experiences with financial aid? I.e. getting funds?

Thanks again you guys!!!

Hey, kittieruby. Glad to hear you've decided to go ahead with courses at Columbia. :) I took a "sub-pre-req" this fall with Precalc so I would be more confident with Calculus next semester. I don't have any info on professors, but I've heard very few complaints from my postbac friends about their professors or TA's.

It's a good thing school ends this coming week--I wasn't looking forward to trudging to class through the snow. :p Then again, it'll still be January when school starts again. I always seem to find that one patch of ice... :scared: