Columbia Post-Bacc - Here and Now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeanslee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

i got my FedEx packet today - and well..... looks like I'm in! :oops:

I was wondering if any current or prospect students are here @ SDN? I would love to know who you guys are before starting the program ...

also, how do you guys like it? think of it? looking forward? or not?

i'm up for all comments :)

i'm just glad i'm in.

Members don't see this ad.

how difficult is it to get into the columbia program? average gpa. do they take standardized tests? any advice?

jeanslee said:
Hey all,

i got my FedEx packet today - and well..... looks like I'm in! :oops:

I was wondering if any current or prospect students are here @ SDN? I would love to know who you guys are before starting the program ...

also, how do you guys like it? think of it? looking forward? or not?

i'm up for all comments :)

i'm just glad i'm in.

When I called, the person said, "just apply, you'll get in." I graduated with 3.53 GPA from UCLA with a social science major. I would've gone to Columbia, but I simply cannot afford it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hm, good question.

it seems that most people get in, but alot end up dropping out or quitting the program for various reasons.

i do know for sure that the post-bacc admissions prefer 3.0+ candidates when reviewing apps... but then again, there must be exceptions to this.

Jeanslee, when did you send in your application? I sent mine in on June 11 and have yet to hear back. . . I'm just trying to figure out how long CU actually takes to make a decision! Their website says 6-8 weeks, which sounds a bit long!

hey crake,

i send in my application on June 14th. I heard back in exactly two weeks.
i hope you hear from them soon!

-jeanslee

Its weird, that should make me hopeful. . .
I'll keep ya posted. . . unless I don't get in, in which case I'll curl up in the dark with a bottle of jack and forsake SDN once and for all.

Hello, and congrats!

I'll be starting the Columbia program in the fall (I applied/got in last year and deferred a year).

Yeah, it seemed to me not too too hard to get in, it's just a matter of staying in...

And, similarly, has anyone heard anything about the placement exams (as in how difficult they are, how much to study, etc.)? I'm of the majored-in-something-completely-different-in-college crowd, so I'm starting premed reqs. from the beginning.

I hear Columbia is a direct linkage to some med schools around the area. Is there a linkage to the dental schools as well? Also has the deadline to appy already passed?

The deadline for fall admission is August 1. The only problem is that they can take 6-8 weeks to process your application, and it is difficult to send some things (e.g. GRE scores--damn ETS) and can dely the application further. This is the problem I'm having--mine still hasn't been processed and I sent it in June 11. But, theoretically, there's still time!

Thanks for the reply. I assume that because its Columbia, its extremely competitive?

@savvysearch
actually, I've heard that columbia isn't that selective because they take a lot of people, but a lot drop out as well. Of course, I haven't gotten in yet, so I'm just speaking from what I read on SDN. 3.0 does appear to be a prerequisite for application, from what I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those starting columbia post-bacc this fall....

age?
i'm just curious - what the avg age of post-baccers @ columbia are.. :D

for the record, i'm 22 - just graduated undergrad here..

I'm 22 as well, graduated in 2003....but what I've heard is that we're a bit of the minority, there are a lot of older people doing the program (but a good number of us who decided a leeeetle too late to go to med school...) :)

I'll be 24 when I start the program in the fall. Any other post baccs out there starting in the fall, PM me! I kinda want to get to know who else is in the program and develop a support group....especially the fact I'm coming in all the way from California!!

Jabad513--that sounds like a great idea. :) I'm from Boston, which is certainly not near as far away as California, but still far enough to be getting nervous about housing. So welcome/congrats/nice to meet you!

Which reminds me, has anyone who has applied for housing heard back? I submitted the housing app back in April, and I know the GS apps don't get approved/put in the process until mid-June, but if I hear the "it usually takes several weeks to assign an accommodation" message one more time...arg! I know it's not likely to get CU housing, but I'd like to know one way or another. And yet it's still early for Sept 1 stuff to be coming up on craigslist...how are you coping with the move from CA, jabad513?

Which undergrad schools did you guys attend? (And did you get accepted or waitlisted?)

Hey jaob2003! Nice to meet you too! I'm glad to see someone is on the same boat as me about moving from a long distance. My housing situation is still up in air. I still haven't heard anything from CU about housing. I'm probably just going to get housing independent from CU but like you said it's too early to find anything on craiglist. I just hope I get decent housing with nice roommates. Anyway I graduated from UC Irvine back in 2002. I also deferred from last year. I'm taking Pre-Cal and Prep for G. Chem now, but they said that I'll still have to take the Placement tests. Hopefully I should be ready.

jabad513 said:
I'm probably just going to get housing independent from CU but like you said it's too early to find anything on craiglist.

Hey, former CU postbacc here. FYI now's the time to start looking at craigslist. People often post about 6 weeks before they're looking to have someone move in. And you'll feel much better getting your housing squared away sooner rather than later. Don't hold out much hope for CU housing. It's not that great for one thing, and the waiting list is usually ridiculously long. Also check out Columbia's off-campus housing assistance page. They have an apartment/room for rent database that I found two great places off of.

Just a couple of questions about CU's program. How direct is the direct linkage? Do they slide you a spot under the table. No interview, no mcat, no problem? ;) If a person got in for Aug is there anything they can do to get fin aid?

Brerwolf said:
Just a couple of questions about CU's program. How direct is the direct linkage? Do they slide you a spot under the table. No interview, no mcat, no problem? ;) If a person got in for Aug is there anything they can do to get fin aid?

Students who take advantage of the linkage programs still have to take the MCAT and have an interview. And you must have an outstanding GPA to be recommended for linkage by the premedical committee. You just get the process started a bit faster and can apply before you've finished your prereqs and taken the MCAT. You still have to have all the prereqs done and take the MCAT before you're officially accepted.

Financial aid for postbaccs is very limited. You're pretty much stuck with loans. There are a few small scholarships given out to second year postbaccs (merit based only) and they're very competitive.

Do you know how flexible they are about Pre-reqs? Would a person have to retake every pre-req if they had an A or B Physics I and Gen Chem II for example? I know it would be better to do the whole program and thereby do well on the MCAT, but time is a factor.

Brerwolf said:
Do you know how flexible they are about Pre-reqs? Would a person have to retake every pre-req if they had an A or B Physics I and Gen Chem II for example? I know it would be better to do the whole program and thereby do well on the MCAT, but time is a factor.

If you've already taken prereq classes and have done well then you don't have to retake them at Columbia.

Just wanted to share my experience with the Columbia Postbacc Program

GPA 3.8
MCAT 38+

Didn't get into any US medical schools because Whitney forgot to write my committee letter and was on vacation by the time I realized that my letters hadn't been sent out.

-A

Would you thank Columbia for that?

parand said:
Just wanted to share my experience with the Columbia Postbacc Program

GPA 3.8
MCAT 38+

Didn't get into any US medical schools because Whitney forgot to write my committee letter and was on vacation by the time I realized that my letters hadn't been sent out.

-A

ouch, sorry ! i hope columbia is on top of it the year i apply.

Hi all, another new Columbia Post-Bacc here. :D I'm 23, with a BA in theatre arts and classics with zilch math experience. I'm kind of starting from scratch, because I have to take precalc first (having deferred my enrollment a year because I couldn't pass the Math I placement exam the first time). That's the only course I can take this Fall, then it's onto Calc I in the Spring. I'd love to meet other Post-Bacc's when school starts, though I don't know if anyone else is taking precalc this fall as well as myself.

As for the person asking about previous pre-req's, according to Columbia's information about their placement exams they say "If you completed General Chemistry I with a D or better, you need not take the Chemistry Placement Test, but you must retake General Chemsitry I at Columbia University." This was explained to me as being necessary for those who come from a college without a strong science department. I don't know if that's the rule for everyone, but they seem fairly consistent in applying it. That's the only course they do that with, to my knowledge.

Here's to the Columbia Post-Baccs. :cool:

Hi! Assuming I follow through with my current plans, I'll be doing postbacc at Columbia in the fall as well. Just graduated and turned 23, and am glad to see that a bunch of you are around the same age as me! Are you all in NY already, or are you planning to move there within the next couple of weeks?

And one more thing: which PPS are you all planning on attending? (I'm doing Aug. 16)

i'm doing my PPS on wednesday, the 25th i believe...

as far as prereqs go, i went to columbia undergrad (just graduated actually!) and already did GChem I ...but I plan to retake it b/c they prefer that, and I prefer that as well. I already took physics too, but i want to retake that too b/c it has been 3 years since i took it, and retaking it will refresh my memory and help me prepare for the MCAT. the only class i probably won't retake is Calculus and Physics Lab.

:) can't wait to see you guys! HOLLA AT ORIENTATION!! :laugh:

Postbaccer:

I plan on moving into the city within the next two months. My entire family may be relocating there, so I'm looking for an apartment either near the University or close to mass transportation. I already attended a PPS last year (before I knew I wouldn't be attending until this year), but I'll be at Postbacc Orientation on the 30th so I'm sure I'll see you there. :)

Anyone know the difficulty of the Chemistry placement test. I haven't taken Chemistry since high school so I'll probably have to do some cramming for the test. Hope everyone passes. :luck:

For Columbia people--

Does anyone know if attending a later PPS makes it harder to get into the classes you want? (time/professor/etc)

Also, for anyone who has been at Columbia before, any suggestions as to who are the good professors, particularly for General Physics and General Chemistry? (I guess you don't have much of a choice for Physics, but there are a couple of different instructors for Chem...)

Thanks!

I got in!!!
Here's the stats on Crake: 22/M, B.A. in History and Political Science this past May, a little math experience (already took Calc I), no Chem experience (stressing already about the placement exam) and no other science experience. Can't wait to meet all the fellow CU postbaccs--I'll see you all either on my Aug. 23 PPS or at orientation! Oh, and I'm from RI so I have to move--anybody with experience relocating to NYC with little or no money in less than a month, PM me please with advice!
-Crake

cool! congrats!

see you postbaccers at orientation! :D

Hey, congrats!

I'm not sure if I remembered to post my info--I'm 22/F from Massachusetts, also with a History B.A. (but class of 2003), and did AP chem and calc back in high school, but not recently, so now i'm stressing about all three exams....ugh.

About finding cheap housing, check out the housing lists at http://newyork.craigslist.org/ aside from the offcampus university housing page.

Oh! I don't know if I just missed it in the info the school sent (if so, ignore me, but if not, I thought I'd pass it on), but a friend who just got in to the law school showed me how to activate your "uni", which is your email account and username/password for the restricted areas of the columbus site....go to http://www.columbia.edu/acis/accounts/create/current.html.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

okay, who is going to set up an "SDN" corner at orientation?

i'd love to put faces to usernames, y'kno. :)

hi guys! i just found out i got into CU for the fall! i'm 23 and have been working for the past two years as a consultant. the pps i signed up for is for Aug. 12th. hopefully i'll see some of you there :) !

A mini-gathering of SDN folk at Orientation doesn't sound like a bad idea. But how would we recognize each other?

And congratulations, gp12! I'll be seeing you at Orientation. :cool: Even though it looks like I'll be the only Postbac person taking Precalc this Fall... :(

Hi! I was wondering if any of you guys could answer my questions about the post-bac program at Columbia?

I already took bio, chem, calc undergrad at g-town and so all i need to complete my pre-med reqs would be orgo w/ lab and physics w/ lab.
Do you think it's still possible for me with the columbia program to directly link to one of the linkage med schools to go to med school next fall if I take the MCATS in April 05 and do well in those two classes?

Does anyone know more about the linkage programs? (ie can you only apply to one of the med schools... when do you apply...is there minimum GPA...when would you hear if you were in...etc)

Thanks for the help!

sarahlees14 said:
Hi! I was wondering if any of you guys could answer my questions about the post-bac program at Columbia?

I already took bio, chem, calc undergrad at g-town and so all i need to complete my pre-med reqs would be orgo w/ lab and physics w/ lab.
Do you think it's still possible for me with the columbia program to directly link to one of the linkage med schools to go to med school next fall if I take the MCATS in April 05 and do well in those two classes?

Does anyone know more about the linkage programs? (ie can you only apply to one of the med schools... when do you apply...is there minimum GPA...when would you hear if you were in...etc)

Thanks for the help!
Well, I'm not incredibly familiar with the linkage program, but I know they'd probably make you re-take Chem and Calc (something to do with their "but this is science at Columbia" mentality). Possibly Bio as well, since they're big on taking Orgo and Bio at the same time. I'm not an advisor though, so you might want to call the program to find out what exactly they would do in your situation. As for linkage, I only know a high GPA helps out a lot. It seems to be a smoothly run program, but I didn't look at it too closely since I doubt I'll be applying to the med schools involved in the linkage. I know, this isn't a very informational post, but I hope it helps. :oops:

hahaa

i'll probably be asking everyone at orientation if they use SDN.

that's my idea.

got any better ones?? :idea:

NYCmed said:
A mini-gathering of SDN folk at Orientation doesn't sound like a bad idea. But how would we recognize each other?

And congratulations, gp12! I'll be seeing you at Orientation. :cool: Even though it looks like I'll be the only Postbac person taking Precalc this Fall... :(

Perhaps we should all PM one another with our real names? From what I hear the CU post-baccers stick together anyway so we'll all know each other one way or the other. BTW, where are all of you living? I'm thinking of Hoboken b/c I have some friends there and the rent is reasonable; I'm wondering if there's a huge disadvantage to having a longer commute, or having to take the PATH instead of the NYC subway (e.g. does the metro card work for the PATH, or do you need to buy an extra pass, etc.)

i'll tell you my name if you tell me yours. :D

I was wondering -- for those of you starting first year post-bacc this fall - do you guys already have volunteer and research set of for the fall? or are you guys going to search for that stuff later?

Hi all...

I'm so excited to come upon this thread! I'm going to be joining the CU Post-Bac program as well! I actually was accepted to start in the summer, but I wasnt ready to make the move back to NYC (I'm in LA right now). I started working at talent agency in LA and defered enrolling, but I'm realizng how much I can't stand the business side of film, and how much I really want to be a doc! I just graduated from USC with a degree in Poli Sci, and minors in art history and cinema production. I was pre-med when I first started college four year ago, but quickly gave that up. However, I worked at a neuroscience lab at USC's Keck School of Med all throughout college because I found the work so interesting.
I'm kind of glad that I took the summer to really decide that medicine is what I want to do, as opposed to packing up as soon as I had graduated from college. Anyways, I'm so excited to go back to NYC - I am originally from NYC - and actually I was a student at CU before transferring to USC in the middle of my my freshman year. So I can tell you all that CU is amazing, and a very inspiring place to learn. Butler library is GREAT!
I am really interested in meeting all of ya'll SDNers and lets all kick some post-bac butt and get into AMAZING med schools!!! Oh and BTW, I just turned 22 and just graduated from SC this past May... :D

hi guys :) . i just wanted to know if anyone knew about the availability of classes. anyone know if they tend to fill up quickly or professors to steer clear of? i'll probably be starting off with gen. chem I - i can't believe i'm going to be back in chem :eek: ! i'm planning on working full time for the first year and only taking chemistry, then going full time for the second year and taking o chem, physics I, and bio.

hope everyone is psyched and is having a good day!

I've never heard of the requisite classes (G. Chem, Physics, Orgo) filling up. They're usually held in large recitation halls with a huge capacity. Not sure about the upper level courses.

The night sections tend to be taught by adjunct professors so some people like to stick to the day. I have no complaints about my adjunct Physics professor though.

Anyone else here registered for night-time General Chem in the Fall?

gp12 said:
hi guys :) . i just wanted to know if anyone knew about the availability of classes. anyone know if they tend to fill up quickly or professors to steer clear of? i'll probably be starting off with gen. chem I - i can't believe i'm going to be back in chem :eek: ! i'm planning on working full time for the first year and only taking chemistry, then going full time for the second year and taking o chem, physics I, and bio.

hope everyone is psyched and is having a good day!

In my experience there was never a problem with classes filling up, EXCEPT for labs. When I was in the program (2000-2003) the advisors had a system for assigning labs but I think now maybe you just register for them like other classes. I was always able to get in the lab I wanted though by going the first day and begging.

Give serious thought before taking Orgo, Bio, and physics all at once. Remember you'll also have orgo and bio labs which take a lot of time. In addition, I'm guessing you'll be studying for the MCAT that spring. IMO you'll be way too stressed out with that kind of load and run the risk of doing poorly in your classes or on the MCAT, or both. I don't know anyone in the program who tried to do that while I was there. I would recommend doing physics during the summer rather than tacking it onto your orgo/bio year.

I agree with those recommending you not take three science courses at once; Orgo and Bio plus labs will be tough enough as it is, not to mention any MCAT prep you might want. With Columbia as strict as they are, they may not even allow you to do it even if you do decide to go ahead with it. It would be better to take Physics during the summer.

Kind of off-topic (but still dealing with this thread): for recognizing fellow SDN'ers at Orientation, maybe we should wear ribbons of a certain color or something? It's safer than giving our real names over the Internet, and better than slapping a "Hello, I'm from SDN" name tag on. :p Just a thought. Anyone else have an idea?