Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, I wasn't in the know. My friend actually applied to sociomedical sciences with global health track. Has anybody heard from this department? I believe her application was complete in early January.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

patience is my only recommendation.....

the mailman school apparently treats everyone like crap, including those they choose to accept....

patience is my only recommendation.....

the mailman school apparently treats everyone like crap, including those they choose to accept....

So far I have had a really positive experience with them. I hope it gets better for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the Sociomedical Dept. on Feb 15, history and ethics track.

I'm gonna have to agree with jjright212 about Mailman treating people like crap. In addition to screwing up my application, screwing up my acceptance notification, and currently screwing up my financial aid info, admissions staff on the phone have treated me with complete disrespect and sometimes been downright rude. Hopefully this is just their Admin staff, but so far my impression is bad.

I got accepted to Columbia's Health Management track today. My application wasn't "complete" until February 4.

Accepted today to Columbia MPH, Sociomedical Sciences - Health Promotion track. Application was marked complete on 1/31. Still waiting for Hopkins, Harvard, and some M.S. programs, but I guess this makes a pretty good backup!

Is it just me or are their Admissions personnel unbearably slow and useless?
Through the app experience, I've come to the conclusion that University administration epitimizes incompetence

No, they are unbearably slow and useless.

When I called to ask them if they received my transcript, the admissions lady explicitly told me that she has better things to do than to dump out the mail just to look for my transcript.

I guess she had a point, but I wasn't expecting her to be so blunt.

i dont know...its been very obvious to me that many of the staff members have an air of entitlement to them.

Still waiting. Any other doctoral applicants (SMS) waiting on a decision?

Is Columbia the last school to send out decisions?

Still waiting. Any other doctoral applicants (SMS) waiting on a decision?

Is Columbia the last school to send out decisions?

I'm posting for my friend who applied to SMS...still waiting. Her app was complete in early January. She heard back from everywhere except here and Columbia is her first choice. So the waiting continues...

My understanding from grad students in other fields at Columbia (journalism, film) is that the university at large is pretty disorganized and incompetent. But I figure it's best if you know going into it...less disillusionment and more proactive preparation (e.g. get everything in writing).

I got my acceptance a few days into the MPH Health Promotion track. I submitted all my applications on/very close to the due dates so I was surprised to get Columbia's response so quickly. Happily, it is one of my first choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke with the SMS department this morning. If you are a doctoral applicant (DrPH, PhD), decisions may not be for another 2 weeks. At least.

Not sure if this timeline applies to MPH applications.

I just got my acceptance to the SMS Department - Health Promotion Track!!!
I have never had full-time work experience so I was very excited about the decision!!!

Anyone else accepted to the same track?

My financial aid award letter is up and dated March 4th. It looks like they listed a scholarship from my department- there is a line that says "MSPH + PFH" and has a number amount next to it.

I have a feeling that I will be in big debt no matter where I end up going...

Good luck to everyone!

finally heard today... MPH Epi with global health concentration...excited especially about the global health part!

yep i got my financial aid package posted online today, too... loans, loans, and more loans -- but even then not enough to pay for tuition + cost of living.

guess that's it for me and columbia. ah, well.

They offered me a 4,000 scholarship.

So total of loans I would need to take out to just cover this year is 54,000.

I dont think I will be able to attend....Oh well..

BTW, I received no notification. I just clicked on award letter on the application tracking site out of curiosity and this showed up.

hey all
i just called columbia and talked to fin aid people. my application shows that i have no financial aid completed (i did complete the essay part on the application but i am an international student so not eligible for FAFSA). they told me that the posting is about need scholarships (i guess only for US citizens). they said the merit scholarships have not been decided yet. they are not exactly sure when they will have an answer but maybe "mid-march". so maybe there is still hope?? not sure...

STILL nothing for me. this is getting a bit ridiculous.. only because others who applied later have heard already and i still haven't!

My financial aid award letter is up and dated March 4th. It looks like they listed a scholarship from my department- there is a line that says "MSPH + PFH" and has a number amount next to it.

I have a feeling that I will be in big debt no matter where I end up going...

Good luck to everyone!

haha, no kidding. my "scholarship" is 4,200. that's like 7% of the total bill... right... and then another 30+ thousand in stafford loans and "unsubsidized" stafford loans. definitely unc for me now.

STILL nothing for me. this is getting a bit ridiculous.. only because others who applied later have heard already and i still haven't!

publichealthfan- i just found out yesterday afternoon i got into columbia's epi program. i was feeling quite frustrated myself. hopefully good news will come soon!

congratulations madscientist! are you thinking that that is where youw ill end up?

publichealthfan- i just found out yesterday afternoon i got into columbia's epi program. i was feeling quite frustrated myself. hopefully good news will come soon!

congratulations madscientist! are you thinking that that is where youw ill end up?

Thanks publichealthfan! I am really not sure where i will end up- at this point i have some good options (yale, berkeley, columbia, and umich). i am going to try to visit the schools and figure out what program would be best for me. also, funding is an issue, and mailman is very expensive..

haha, no kidding. my "scholarship" is 4,200. that's like 7% of the total bill... right... and then another 30+ thousand in stafford loans and "unsubsidized" stafford loans. definitely unc for me now.

yeah. according to MPH, merit based hasnt been decided...

tho some people have said it already has...

so confusing...

i don't know if it's been "decided" but at least nominations have been made (for the major scholarships), so you would have been informed if you're a nominee.

i think the fin-aid scholarships are separate.

Well, i called the financial aid office and got that response. Maybe they are not involved in the merit scholarships and decisions come directly from the departments? I am not sure. I tried 2-3 times to e-mail the Epi department about scholarships/grants but no response so far. Maybe i should just call them directly. I don't understand why this whole procedure needs to be so secretive. Is this their way to compete with other schools? I really don't get it. Why can't they just tell us if they gave the scholarships or not? It makes no sense making any decision about attending any of these schools without knowing our financial status. I doubt many people have 100K and don't care about financial aid to make their decision. If anyone has any updates can you please post it?

tt13 what do u mean by nominations?
so you think if i didn't receive anything so far about scholarships it means i will not get anything? i haven't even received an official letter from them yet. it's been a week i got the acceptance email.

If I'm not mistaken, there are two kind of scholarships. The departmental funding is that which appears on your fin-aid report (along with the bajillion loans).

What I meant by "nominations" is referring to the heavy money scholarships (e.g. full-tuiton, ra position, etc.). The individual departments don't have that much money, so the heavy money scholarships don't come from the department itself. Instead, they come from level above, whatever that is.

These heavy money scholarships, if I'm not mistaken, are competed on a campus-wide basis. In other words, you're competing against people from ALL graduate schools for these limited scholarships. Thus, each department must choose who they'd like to nominate for these campus-wide scholarships.

At least with my department (HPM), the administrative staff member told me that they only nominate a few, as in the top 5% of priority admitted students. She then proceed to tell me that I wasn't one of them. damn.

I'm assuming that you would know of your nomination, because UNC and SUNYAlbany were both very active in terms of getting to know me more in order to best write their nominations for me.

Thus, since I was informed that I'm not in the running for any nomination at Columbia and many fellowships have already been offered at other universities, I'd think that people who are indeed nominated for scholarships at Columbia would know of their nomination by now. I think a few people on this forum from other departments have already received notice of their nomination from their respective departments.

Hope that helps clarify what I said I earlier.

p.s. i had to try several times to get these answers as well (both phone and email). i was redirected to different individuals many times. so i know how you feel.

Thanks tt13, that was a really good explanation, it cleared up a lot of my questions as well!

thank you tt13.

does everyone have a page 3 of 3 on their award letter that says, only this and the rest of the page is blank?

"SCHOLARSHIP: Students are awarded one source of institutional aid
per academic year.
This scholarship is contingent upon your full time enrollment. "

Yep. I have that blank page too.

Still holding out hope for more money for a while, even though I know it might be crazy.

yeah. ive pretty much given up on the idea of getting more money.

isnt it weird that these letters are being posted for us to view online, and yet, no formal notification, via e-mail or snail mail is being sent, to tell us to check?