Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As I recall, their online app had similar problems. Because of technical issues, it wasn't ready for weeks after other schools' apps and SOPHAS were ready. I've also heard stories from current students about them losing paperwork and entire applications! Makes me very hesitant to go there.

Guess we can just spend the rest of the day stressing!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I guess so. Id rather that they not send emails without testing the system first. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

P.S. It seems as though they started letting some admits now precisely this day, a year ago. Im not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Hmm, that is interesting. Well, I figure the combination of us being in the first group to be notified and them deciding to extend the app deadline (probably meaning they didn't get enough apps) is a good sign.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we shall see. I hope they fix it sometime today. The uncertainty is making it really hard to concentrate here at work. Good luck to you too

to the people that received that email today: when did you finish your applications?

also one more question
which website they asked you to check? the application or the tracking one?

My materials were processed I think Jan 8th (transcript, application, GRE etc.) but my recs took a while, but the app was complete on Jan 21st.

They asked me to check the application site.

I submitted my app in early October and my last rec letter was received at the end of October. From what I've heard, they're not really rolling admissions, so it shouldn't matter so much when you submitted it as long as it was by the deadline.

I was told to check the application website, applyyourself.

Yeah, no more concentrating at work today!

New email sent out saying that the decisions will now be ready tomorrow Feb. 15th.

Wow talk about coming off unprofessional...

ok thank you both. in which departments you applied? i guess i should be hearing soon from them as well. unless they stopped notifying people now till they fix the problem. could you please let us know when it is fixed? good luck to both of you!

I submitted my application 11/29. I can't believe they're making us wait until tomorrow...I'm dying over here.

Yeah and I like how this new email is still titled "Your decision is ready to be viewed online". Uh, no. It's not.

Yeah and I like how this new email is still titled "Your decision is ready to be viewed online". Uh, no. It's not.

Haha. yeah. good job mailman.

I applied to policy and management.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to sociomedical sciences, history of public health track.

i didn't get an email!!! i hope this isn't bad newsss

im sure it isnt. i think it varies by department and many other factors. lets just all hope for the best and support each other during this craziness! :confused:

I didn't get that email either. I am trying to tell myself that fact could potentially mean nothing.

jjright212: You are right! I love the support and help on this forum!

how long does the mph program at columbia take? are they all 2 years? are any of the fields/tracks 1 year?? thanks.

In at Columbia Health Pol and Management!!!!! Good luck to all!!!

p.s. did anyone receive fin aid info? I only had the admission letter on the site.

my husband who applied to the epid programme got the decision mail and saw his decision letter from korevec- rejected. he was admitted at BU so hes kinda ok abt it, since he loves boston, hoping harvard will take him. as for me i dint get the mail abt admission decision so ill just wait, d waiting is drivin me nuts.
good luck to u guys!

Congrats to those who received acceptances! That is wonderful news!

To those who haven't heard, I wouldn't worry. I haven't heard either (my application wasn't complete until about 10 days ago), and we have to hear one way or another no matter what! I think they probably do two rounds of notifications, based on time of completed application.

In at Columbia for the history of public health track!!!

No info about financial aid for me either.

Anyone know if Columbia has an admitted students day?

Congratulations!

I know that they do, but I am unsure as to whether it is before the deposit is due, or after.

I wonder when the financial aid info will come to us

Just spoke with Financial Aid.

They said admitted students day is April 11, so a few days before the deposit is due.

I was also told that they should start reviewing need based aid in a few weeks and have notification sometime in mid-March. Merit aid is done separately.

Thanks for the info. Is merit-aid done by admissions instead? I wonder if we should receive that info. earlier than March.

He seemed to think that the merit aid notification would be around the same time, but separate from the need-based aid. I couldn't get a sense of how much merit aid is actually available.

Yeah, from what I've heard they dont seem to have much available. With the average grant being about $8k. I wish you the best!

In at Columbia for Epi!!!! Congrats everyone! Excited to have the chance to move back to NYC.

where does the decisoin show up on the columbia site?? how do you find it

The link on the email takes you to your log-in page. Once logged in, there's a decision link at the bottom of the page. Goodluck!

oh, i haven't gotten the email yet but i watned to check teh website just in case.. and no link on there yet. boo

Don't sweat it...you'll get an email soon. I applied pretty early (11/29)

Do they also notify us through e-mail about rejection??
If we did not get any e-mail, then which means rejection mail is on the way coming home??

I am very worried.. I do not see anything about delay of deadline or any rejection/acceptance letter.

It seems as though some people received rejections online. So I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Keep the faith alive.

Do they also notify us through e-mail about rejection??
If we did not get any e-mail, then which means rejection mail is on the way coming home??

I am very worried.. I do not see anything about delay of deadline or any rejection/acceptance letter.

Hi woojaim,

I really wouldn't worry at this point. If you have your application status/tracker link, then log in and see what it says about your application. Mine still says "received" and that it is being reviewed. If you are rejected, I am sure that that will be noted on the application website. If you really are concerned, it might make you feel better to call their admissions committee - I'm sure it is a very common question, and you wouldn't even have to give your name if you don't want to. But realistically, since they are still accepting applications, they certainly have more acceptances to give out!

Does anyone have any firsthand information about whether its easy/hard to transfer from one dept to another?

got the email about half an hour ago. accepted!! woohoo. thank goodness the wait is over.

i didn't get any email from columbia yet... :( now i have to worry the whole weekend..
did you all get in your first choice? i applied to epi dept but i want to have an international health focus. i put epi /int. health as first and epi as second. is that the reason i haven't heard from them you think? my application was completed jan 23rd.

Online stuff was submitted over Thanksgiving break. Got my ID for tracking December 12. However, there was a hold on the reviewing of my application, because one of my transcripts got lost in the mail. I had to call the office, and it turned out that the missing transcript isn't even necessary since the credits were recorded on my current undergrad transcript anyways. It was finally complete right before the February 1st deadline.

health management is my first choice for every school. so yeah, i got into my first choice.

i was really worried having heard that people received emails yesterday, but i think they're just doing it in batches. hopefully you'll get your email on monday.

try checking your application page (not the tracking page, but the page where you submitted the online application). maybe you'll get lucky and there'll be a link to your decision letter there already!!

off topic - there were a few people worried about the 500-word limit on the personal statement... mine was about 1100, so it turned out to be alright. =) i didn't do it intentionally, i just didn't know there was a word limit.. haha

i just checked... no link yet.. :(

me neither.. my application was complete on jan 17 and i got my id on jan 24th..

my husband who applied to the epid programme got the decision mail and saw his decision letter from korevec- rejected. he was admitted at BU so hes kinda ok abt it, since he loves boston, hoping harvard will take him. as for me i dint get the mail abt admission decision so ill just wait, d waiting is drivin me nuts.
good luck to u guys!
hello jjright212, congrats on ur admission, i also applied to same concentration as yours, the waiting is really crazy, wish us luck

i didn't get any email from columbia yet... :( now i have to worry the whole weekend..
did you all get in your first choice? i applied to epi dept but i want to have an international health focus. i put epi /int. health as first and epi as second. is that the reason i haven't heard from them you think? my application was completed jan 23rd.
i feel ur pain MPH, we are in the same boar right now, have u got any acceptances, im on waiting list at emory, health policy and management. what do u think my chances are, most people dont seem to reply my post- maybe they arent interesting enuff:confused:

i feel ur pain MPH, we are in the same boat right now.have u got any acceptances?im on the waiting list at emorys health policy and management. what do u think my chances are, most people dont seem to reply to my post- maybe they arent interesting enuff:confused:

Does anyone have any firsthand information about whether its easy/hard to transfer from one dept to another?

it depends on which department and how many people end up attending in that department. If they have too many it'll be a lot harder to switch.... also if you aren't qualified for a certain department they won't let u switch. In general though it shouldnt be a big deal.