collecting teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.M.D dude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first class that we need teeth for begins in August. Is it too early to start collecting teeth now? Also, it says to find as many dentists as I can to help me collect teeth. How many dentists are enough? Five, six? Anyone else have to do this? Thanx....

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not too early. Start collecting ASAP. I am collecting from two oral surgeons. There isn't a specific number you need, but the more you get the better off.

They were right in saying start now. No one hardly ever has all the teeth they need. Little points though. Tell your dentist that you don't need 3rd molars. I had one dentist give me about 300 teeth. 290 of them being either really funky seconds or thirds. Also tell them that they need to be in decent shape, I had about 100 teeth that were totally blown out, meaning all they did was take space in my tank!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't we need 3rd molars? Nowadays, people try as hard as they can to save their own teeth, so it's usually the wisdom teeth that are extracted.

USC requires me to collect 100 3rd molars. In my experience, 3rd molar is the tooth which is hardest to collect.

WHAT??????????????????? 3rd molars are the hardest to collect?????????? No man, you are way off. The reason most schools put a needed amount of 3rds are just so you can do a practice filling on them before you get to your competency which should be on a 1st or 2nd. The only dentistry I'll do on a 3rd molar (unless an extreme case) is with an elevator and some ronjeurs (spelling way off????). In short, extract them there teeth.... If you have 2nd or even 1st molars, they are much better to practice on for 3rds morph. is usually wierd.

Anyone else get a ton of 3rds in "the quest" for teeth before D school?

which reminds me i need to go and try and pick up the jars i dropped off in august. any wagers on how many didn't get touched or got lost? since i have about a week and a half til they are needed, hopefully some will have collected me some.

its interesting the responses you get from dentists when you approach them for collecting teeth. some places flatly refused me. another oral surgeon wouldn't because it is against OSHA rules-luckily other dentists either do not know this, or just don't care.

D.M.D dude said:
The first class that we need teeth for begins in August. Is it too early to start collecting teeth now? Also, it says to find as many dentists as I can to help me collect teeth. How many dentists are enough? Five, six? Anyone else have to do this? Thanx....

Why do we need to collect teeth? What school are you going to? Are you a first year? Does everyone have to collect teeth? :confused:

are periodontists better sources than general dentists for collecting teeth? i'm going to be collecting teeth starting tomorrow. hope i'm not starting too late!

Yesterday I went into the closest dental office with a jar hoping they would collect teeth for me over a period of 2-3months. I needed about 30-40 teeth. To my surprise the secretary went in the back and came out with a jar of about 50-60 teeth in them! One less thing to worry about. :thumbup:

Dentaldream said:
Yesterday I went into the closest dental office with a jar hoping they would collect teeth for me over a period of 2-3months. I needed about 30-40 teeth. To my surprise the secretary went in the back and came out with a jar of about 50-60 teeth in them! One less thing to worry about. :thumbup:

DentalDream,

Do we have to collect teeth for Tufts? This is news to me. Did they send you a letter about this? Please let me know if we are supposed to.

Thanks! See you in August:)

Aurora