Snapshot of an associate's production/collection report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AONLINE

Dentist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since a lot of dental students are interested in getting more info about dentist compensation, I thought I'd share a snapshot of my production/collection report for March 2023 here. I am a relatively new grad (graduated in 2021). I work 4 days, 9 hrs/day splitting my time between 2 offices owned by the same employer. The numbers in the first column is my NET production (after insurance write-offs), and numbers in second column is collections, which I am paid 33% of. So to summarize in the month of March I produced 70k from 2 offices, they collected 60k (not ideal, could be much better) and I am paid 20k. This is a pretty typical month for me, February was a weird short month and we closed the office a few days due to snow storms so I did not produce as much, but as I am wrapping up April it looks about to be the same as March. I do mostly bread and butter dentistry (averaging one crown every day), extractions/dentures (no bone graft), maybe one anterior RCT per month and maybe start one new clear aligner case every month so nothing too crazy. Currently have plenty of down time at work (hence I'm on SDN a lot), I could definitely benefit from a busier schedule. Ask me anything.
1682518683489.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
thanks for sharing. I think you posted this somewhere before, but do you mind breaking down your monthly budget of what you do with 20k per month?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing this; it definitely gives some insight for someone like me who will likely be practicing in the Midwest metro area.

If you were to try and maximize your production over the four days you currently work, any idea of what you could produce? Do you think it would be worth it or a quick way to burn out?

that 20k is pre-tax correct? How much do you typically net per month after all deductions?(assuming you don't contribute to 401k). I

That's under $4k/day. Seems like there could be some substantial room for more production. What seems to be the limiting factor for you producing more? Speed, staffing, patient base, etc?

That's under $4k/day. Seems like there could be some substantial room for more production. What seems to be the limiting factor for you producing more? Speed, staffing, patient base, etc?
Staffing and patient base. I only have one assistant and thus I only have one production column. My employer says that our office does not have a large enough patient base for a second assistant, and thus they refuse to hire one until they see growth.

glad to know what to expect, 9 hours a day seems like a lot, is that normal and to be expected?

Or is it like 7-12, 12-1 lunch, and then 1-5?
7-5 everyday with 1-hour lunch from 12 to 1pm. Yes 9-hour days are long and tiring, but my contract requires me to work 36 hours/wk and I'd rather do 4 long days and get 3 days of rest than spreading it over 5 days.

Last edited:
Staffing and patient base. I only have one assistant and thus I only have one production column. My employer says that our office does not have a large enough patient base for a second assistant, and thus they refuse to hire one until they see growth.
Do you double book at all with the one assistant. When I only have one, I still try to sneak in 3 or 4 second column patients that don't require my DA to be in the room/doing anything. So I'll numb a patient for fillings and then pop to another room to do a denture appointment, post op, etc. If you can prove the necessity and they still won't agree to hire a second, may be time to look for another job

Do you double book at all with the one assistant. When I only have one, I still try to sneak in 3 or 4 second column patients that don't require my DA to be in the room/doing anything. So I'll numb a patient for fillings and then pop to another room to do a denture appointment, post op, etc. If you can prove the necessity and they still won't agree to hire a second, may be time to look for another job
I've been trying to do that. But the assistant gets annoyed that she has to set up and clean up a second room so I try to not do that too often. I know the easy answer is to find another assistant without a diva attitude, but it sucks as an associate that can't call all the shots.

Since a lot of dental students are interested in getting more info about dentist compensation, I thought I'd share a snapshot of my production/collection report for March 2023 here. I am a relatively new grad (graduated in 2021). I work 4 days, 9 hrs/day splitting my time between 2 offices owned by the same employer. The numbers in the first column is my NET production (after insurance write-offs), and numbers in second column is collections, which I am paid 33% of. So to summarize in the month of March I produced 70k from 2 offices, they collected 60k (not ideal, could be much better) and I am paid 20k. This is a pretty typical month for me, February was a weird short month and we closed the office a few days due to snow storms so I did not produce as much, but as I am wrapping up April it looks about to be the same as March. I do mostly bread and butter dentistry (averaging one crown every day), extractions/dentures (no bone graft), maybe one anterior RCT per month and maybe start one new clear aligner case every month so nothing too crazy. Currently have plenty of down time at work (hence I'm on SDN a lot), I could definitely benefit from a busier schedule. Ask me anything.
View attachment 370058
What kind of insurances do you take? I’m a little surprised you’re able to make $240k per year in 4 day weeks on one anterior root canal per month, no bone grafting with extractions, one crown per day, and one Invisalign case per month while working one column and not being that busy. Unless your negotiated fees are sky high, something doesn’t add up.

I've been trying to do that. But the assistant gets annoyed that she has to set up and clean up a second room so I try to not do that too often. I know the easy answer is to find another assistant without a diva attitude, but it sucks as an associate that can't call all the shots.
Learn to clean a room, no job in the dental office is below you

What kind of insurances do you take? I’m a little surprised you’re able to make $240k per year in 4 day weeks on one anterior root canal per month, no bone grafting with extractions, one crown per day, and one Invisalign case per month while working one column and not being that busy. Unless your negotiated fees are sky high, something doesn’t add up.
I produce less than $4k a day, which is certainly not high for being in the office for 9 hours. I take mostly PPO. Most of these PPO plans pay $1000 for a crown, BU is $300. I do between 10 to 14 periodic exams everyday. A crown and 10-14 exams is already $2000 in production. The other $2000 mostly comes from fillings and extractions/dentures. We charge $4600 for a clear aligner case and patient pays that entire amount out of pocket upon starting so those cases really help my production.

Last edited: