CMA, COA, and CPMA Partnership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javajava

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all :)

Older SDN forum veterans would probably remember this news article from last year detailing the partnership between CMA, COA and CPMA to, "begin the process of reviewing the education, curriculum and training of California's podiatric medical schools with the ultimate goal of achieving accreditation as full-fledged allopathic medical schools and enabling their graduates to become licensed physicians and surgeons."

This was pretty breaking news for Podiatry last year and led to a spawn of threads on the forum if I recall correctly.

Seeing as it has been over a year, is anyone familiar with any recent developments from this partnership? Or has it quietly ceased? Any input from California Podiatrists or someone involved in the politics is welcome :)

Source, http://www.podiatrists.org/cpmacmacoa3/newsrleaseonhistoricagreement/

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I personally have not heard anything positive or negative since the announcement.

I actually set up a Google alert for this, and nothing has surfaced in the last couple of months.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unfortunate there are no Press Releases about it :( It was something that would have had a big impact on Podiatry.

Here's hoping to some developments or announcements about the partnership, good or bad :)

It's ongoing. The original agreement was to first set up a study of the curricula of Samuel Merritt and Western University. Many CA Pods have donated to the P&S fund (Physician & Surgeon). The goal is that graduates will keep the DPM degree, but be given a P&S certificate which is what gives an MD or DO the license for unlimited scope. This process will take 5 years or so.

If this happens, you can bet that western and SM get a helluva lot more competitive....